Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've got a tough game I'm trying to remember. For one, it never came out, for another it wasn't technically a game. Rather, it was an overambitious Battlefield 2 mod being made by the same team that had created Galactic Conquest, a Star Wars TC for BF1942 that had even gotten stuff like walkers and space maps working. The mod was to have been a unique sci-fi epic, spanning something like 100 years of an alien invasion. The first version was supposed to have been set in contemporary time with modern militaries or agents or something fighting against the ET expeditionary force, with subsequent versions advancing the timeline. Its forums was actually one of the first online communities I joined, and when BF2142 was announced I refused to buy it and threw my lot in with the modders.

Needless to say, it never came out due to engine limitations and the project was completely abandoned. So, any clue what I'm talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

There was this ancient mini-golf game for old Mac that I used to fool around with off a demo/shareware disc when I was a kid. It had a 2d top-down perspective, and I think there was a slider with which you could change the rate of moles popping up and blocking your shots. Any idea what I'm talking about?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Roluth posted:

There was this ancient mini-golf game for old Mac that I used to fool around with off a demo/shareware disc when I was a kid. It had a 2d top-down perspective, and I think there was a slider with which you could change the rate of moles popping up and blocking your shots. Any idea what I'm talking about?

Are you sure it was moles, and not gophers?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Dell_Zincht posted:

Are you sure it was moles, and not gophers?

Ah yep, that's it. Thanks!

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I'm racking my brain trying to remember a game my mother got me for the NES after we had it chipped. It was a puzzle-like game where you had to push colored balls around a map, navigating through mazes and around monsters trying to get them into corresponding holes. You could shoot paper slips onto the monster to incapacitate them temporarily.
I mentioned it in a conversation with a friend the other day and now I'm going nuts trying to find it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Vaguely sounds like the adventures of Lolo.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Nah you played human characters pushing around giant crystal balls, I made this (horrible) rendition of what I remember. The top figure is a snake monster facing the camera with a paper slip stuck to its face as it is temporarily dazed.

E: I FUCKIN' FOUND IT!
Rockball by Sachen, 1993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSA0XkFnLzs

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Government Handjob fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 15, 2021

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Government Handjob posted:

Nah you played human characters pushing around giant crystal balls, I made this (horrible) rendition of what I remember. The top figure is a snake monster facing the camera with a paper slip stuck to its face as it is temporarily dazed.

E: I FUCKIN' FOUND IT!
Rockball by Sachen, 1993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSA0XkFnLzs

Goddamn that’s a lot of swastikas

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Goddamn that’s a lot of swastikas

Technically they're sauwastikas, since they face counter-clockwise. But yeah, it's an old symbol in eastern religions that got... co-opted leading to its current connotations. Kind of ironic, really.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
They’re only swastikas if they come from the Swastika state of India, otherwise they’re just sparkling nazis.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Bremen posted:

Technically they're sauwastikas, since they face counter-clockwise. But yeah, it's an old symbol in eastern religions that got... co-opted leading to its current connotations. Kind of ironic, really.

Check out the world map in the first 10 seconds of the video

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

It was not - the color scheme of FMP is far too grounded and restrained!

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I'm looking for a PC game in the mid to late nineties. It was a third person tower defence style game where you had to defend yourself against demons. It played in an isometric view, and it was basically your character fighting off waves of demons amidst various traps you purchased and placed inbetween rounds. I have a vivid memory of cruising along with the smaller demons, until a massive one came along and just absolutely wrecked me.

Another game I'm looking for I actually know the name of, I'm just looking for a specific version. Our first family PC had two games on it. The first was Egawalls, an arkanoid clone. The other was a PC port of the arcade game Plotting by Taito. I've been digging for that one for ages, and it's available for all sorts of systems, but I haven't been able to find evidence that a PC port, either licensed or unofficial, ever even existed. It doesn't help that the game has such a painfully generic name.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Skios posted:

I'm looking for a PC game in the mid to late nineties. It was a third person tower defence style game where you had to defend yourself against demons. It played in an isometric view, and it was basically your character fighting off waves of demons amidst various traps you purchased and placed inbetween rounds. I have a vivid memory of cruising along with the smaller demons, until a massive one came along and just absolutely wrecked me.

Was it The Horde starring Kirk Cameron https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Horde_(video_game)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Arcade (as in actual coin-op) game I played in like 1993. It was a fantasy fighter where you could either play a ladder mode like Mortal Kombat or other such titles, or a 2-player match on 1 credit for both players. The battlefield was not linear, but pseudo-3D with 2 axes of freedom on a square arena. The characters were not named individuals but generic fantasy monsters like Dragon or Golem (those two are what I remember for sure).

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pierzak posted:

Arcade (as in actual coin-op) game I played in like 1993. It was a fantasy fighter where you could either play a ladder mode like Mortal Kombat or other such titles, or a 2-player match on 1 credit for both players. The battlefield was not linear, but pseudo-3D with 2 axes of freedom on a square arena. The characters were not named individuals but generic fantasy monsters like Dragon or Golem (those two are what I remember for sure).

Mutant Fighter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhmRsnWWJWY

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

That's it, thanks! There's so much more to that game than I remember. Also, the fact that it's a game starring Kirk Cameron is just... :psyduck:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yes it was that, thanks!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hahahah, Mutant Fighter. The sparse and awkward snippets of character taunts from that game became catchphrases for my friend group. Some of them lingered for years. I bet it was a solid decade until all of us stopped saying FEEL THE AUTHORITY OF MY HORNS! for good

Also thank you for that nostalgia as Mutant Fighter was the only fighting game I was ever good enough at to be fairly confident I would beat most anyone playing me, likely both because it was not popular enough to attract many adherents and my own delight in the awfulness of its voice acting kept me playing far more than made any sense

Edit: Hahaha went and watched a collection of the super moves and I STILL think "YOU ARE A BUG TO ME!" sometimes and had long since forgotten where the hell that quote even came from.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 26, 2021

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm looking for a PS2 game (maybe PS1 but I don't think so) which was a top down 1 on 1 fighting game where the characters flew around firing energy beams at each other, very much like Dragon Ball Z but definitely not Dragon Ball Z. I had it on a demo disc and it seemed cool since I liked DBZ and for some reason I never thought to try any of the hundred actual DBZ games out at the time. I don't think the demo had a single player mode.

LennyBriscoCountyJr
Oct 20, 2005

Beartaco posted:

I'm looking for a PS2 game (maybe PS1 but I don't think so) which was a top down 1 on 1 fighting game where the characters flew around firing energy beams at each other, very much like Dragon Ball Z but definitely not Dragon Ball Z. I had it on a demo disc and it seemed cool since I liked DBZ and for some reason I never thought to try any of the hundred actual DBZ games out at the time. I don't think the demo had a single player mode.

Was it Destrega?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Beartaco posted:

You might want to look at Destrega which has a developed energy missile mechanic, and also Tobal 1/2 which had the Dragon Ball game guy as character designer. Both for PS1.

e:f,b

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
It was Destrega, thank you!

Here's the demo I played:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuZH0ls2440

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011

Tac Dibar posted:

I just tried to find an old Atari game I vaguely remember by googling “Atari game jumping across alligators” and google just returned a million fake sites. What’s up with that? Very annoying.

So anyway, I have a vague memory of an Atari game where you play a quite blocky guy seen from behind who has to jump across crocodiles over some water, moving vertically across the screen Frogger style. Is my memory mixing up several games, or does something like this exist?

Only 9 months late to this, but it sounds like you are describing Aztec Challenge, but you would be mixing up the different levels (first level scrolls vertically and you see your guy from behind, later ones with the crocodiles are side-scrolling) if that is indeed what you're thinking of. There's also different versions for Atari and C64, not sure if the Atari version had something like this as well.

FeastForCows fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 9, 2021

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tac Dibar posted:

I just tried to find an old Atari game I vaguely remember by googling “Atari game jumping across alligators” and google just returned a million fake sites. What’s up with that? Very annoying.

So anyway, I have a vague memory of an Atari game where you play a quite blocky guy seen from behind who has to jump across crocodiles over some water, moving vertically across the screen Frogger style. Is my memory mixing up several games, or does something like this exist?

This sounds somewhat similar to Jungle Hunt. The difference is that the camera angle is from the side and you're jumping over coconuts and avoiding alligators in a swimming level.

e: Since I'm here, I might as well ask about a very vague and obscure game I remember from my childhood. In 1991, I remember watching some friends play what I think was a sports game on their computer. All I remember about this game is that it used the William Tell Overture and may have been about the Olympics (not sure about the latter detail)?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 11, 2021

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I've got a couple. One for someone in a discord:

quote:

I'm in search of the name of a 90s PC game. All I remember of it, is it was a top down shooter, like Raiden. And the very first level's music was an instrumental of U2's song 'New Year's Day'.
I have a feeling the game I'm looking for is a freeware or sampler from the US inspired by Gradius or Raiden
My uncle had it, along with Fury 3

I couldn't find anything like it, and the only hit I got for New Year's Day in a game is a racing game from the N64 (except I skimmed through its OST and nothing sounded like that song, so...).

As for me, one of the games I came across in my search was Zone 66.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx8gN5maZ_E

The art and animation in the intro to this game and its music seem incredibly familiar to me, but I'm sure I've never played Zone 66 or even heard of it before. I can't get any other impressions of what game it might have been, just that it had a similar sequence, particularly the bit where the hero is running with a side view of his face.
Did I just see this intro somewhere 25 years ago, or is there actually another game it's invoking?

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This sounds somewhat similar to Jungle Hunt. The difference is that the camera angle is from the side and you're jumping over coconuts and avoiding alligators in a swimming level.

Yeah, I’m probably mixing up Jungle Hunt (which I’m sure my friend had) with something else. Annoying how my brain seems to have constructed a memory of this game that doesn’t exist. I have this distinct memory of a quite big, blocky monochrome figure seen from behind. Oh well.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Pyroclastic posted:

The art and animation in the intro to this game and its music seem incredibly familiar to me, but I'm sure I've never played Zone 66 or even heard of it before. I can't get any other impressions of what game it might have been, just that it had a similar sequence, particularly the bit where the hero is running with a side view of his face.
Did I just see this intro somewhere 25 years ago, or is there actually another game it's invoking?
Meanwhile I have never heard of Zone 66 and the art and animation are completely unfamiliar but I also feel like that song is very familiar. But for me song theft was fairly common in the Demoscene so that could explain it on my end if someone else stole that hook (or I suppose if that musician did)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dr. Quarex posted:

Meanwhile I have never heard of Zone 66 and the art and animation are completely unfamiliar but I also feel like that song is very familiar. But for me song theft was fairly common in the Demoscene so that could explain it on my end if someone else stole that hook (or I suppose if that musician did)

Early Epic Megagames employed a lot of demoscene composers.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Schwarzwald posted:

Early Epic Megagames employed a lot of demoscene composers.
That makes a lot of sense. And validates my belief in 1992 that this was clearly the future of computer music and I could totally get a job writing songs. Since it is still 1995, I expect the landline to ring offering me a contract gig for Origin any day now.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Pyroclastic posted:

I've got a couple. One for someone in a discord:

I couldn't find anything like it, and the only hit I got for New Year's Day in a game is a racing game from the N64 (except I skimmed through its OST and nothing sounded like that song, so...).

As for me, one of the games I came across in my search was Zone 66.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx8gN5maZ_E

I loved playing Zone 66 back in the day..

WetNightmare
Mar 22, 2014

by sebmojo
Sega Genesis. Top down view. Black army vs. white army. Knights and other medieval units. The units for both teams kind of floated around but you could vaguely control them (almost like General Chaos controls). The graphics were bad. Small blocky sprites with no animation. Real time strategy but no base building.

Edit: There was an overpowered lightning spell or some poo poo.

WetNightmare fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 16, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

WetNightmare posted:

Sega Genesis. Top down view. Black army vs. white army. Knights and other medieval units. The units for both teams kind of floated around but you could vaguely control them (almost like General Chaos controls). The graphics were bad. Small blocky sprites with no animation. Real time strategy but no base building.

Edit: There was an overpowered lightning spell or some poo poo.

Is it this weird rear end game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qgLCy0mUAA

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
I played that game on the Amiga as Mega Lo Mania. Exact same game.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

HerStuddMuffin posted:

I played that game on the Amiga as Mega Lo Mania. Exact same game.

That sweet sweet moment when you got to nuke the opposition.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

That sweet sweet moment when you got to win the nuclear era by taking 1 man and letting the two opponents nuke each other MAD-style

FTFY.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Yo this game looks awesome?

Just in case it isn't this game, also going to suggest Populous got a Genesis/SNES port:

https://youtu.be/TtiUOKaxEFc

WetNightmare
Mar 22, 2014

by sebmojo

No, I'm talking some of the worst graphics on Sega ever. Almost Nintendo level.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
I've been thinking recently about the first time I ever saw a JRPG before I knew what one was, and how odd and mysterious it seemed because I had never seen anything quite like it before.

It was on a PSX demo disc my brother had borrowed from someone, and I saw it once and then never again. A year or two later I had started reading EGM and played several rpgs, but have never figured out what that first one was.

It was very much a stereotypical Playstation JRPG from my hazy memory. It began in your standard starting village where you talked to all the NPCs and met your first party member. The inciting incident was magically animated empty suits of armor attacked, and you had a tutorial battle or two and had to escape into the woods(?) to meet someone, or find help (?). The demo ended shortly after you left the starting village.

JRPGs aren't my fave genre but I've played plenty of the era and I like to think I'm generally knowledgeable about gaming, but I've never been able to figure this one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zohn posted:

I've been thinking recently about the first time I ever saw a JRPG before I knew what one was, and how odd and mysterious it seemed because I had never seen anything quite like it before.

It was on a PSX demo disc my brother had borrowed from someone, and I saw it once and then never again. A year or two later I had started reading EGM and played several rpgs, but have never figured out what that first one was.

It was very much a stereotypical Playstation JRPG from my hazy memory. It began in your standard starting village where you talked to all the NPCs and met your first party member. The inciting incident was magically animated empty suits of armor attacked, and you had a tutorial battle or two and had to escape into the woods(?) to meet someone, or find help (?). The demo ended shortly after you left the starting village.

JRPGs aren't my fave genre but I've played plenty of the era and I like to think I'm generally knowledgeable about gaming, but I've never been able to figure this one out.

Legend of Legaia?