Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Korean fantasy MMORPG that was basically a reskin of WoW. I remember slicing up slimes and stuff. Then I stopped playing it and continued to get monthly emails for YEARS. Now, when I go to find some of those emails? They appear to have been sucked into a space-time vortex.

I think it might have been like something fantasy online? Phantasia? I don't know, honestly. I think it was kind of obscure, as in, not super popular. Maybe in beta? 3D in the fashion of WoW, and pretty genetically anime. It was the era when I played a lot of Gun bound, GunZ, and PangYa!

I don't think it was:
Final fantasy anything
Fiesta Online
Lineage , etc

Korean MMOs of that era I remember:

FlyFF (Fly For Free)
Yogurting <-- the anime OP theme was a bop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
"Korean MMO" and "slime" obviously makes me think Ragnarok Online but I'm gonna assume it was 3D. ROSE, maybe?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

peachsynapse posted:

Okay. A long shot, but I'm trying to find a gamebook.

You were on an alien planet, I think. I vaguely remember quicksand. At one point you found a helmet. You put it on and it poisoned you, and you only had so long to cure the poison before you died. It turned out, though, that being poisoned by this helmet was essential to winning the book, because it made you immune (?) to a later trap or attack.

And I think the cover looked pretty brown.

That's literally it. I played it as a kid in, like, 1989. Anybody have an idea?

For Gamebook memories, likely it'll be either a Fighting Fantasy, Choose Your Own Adventure or Lone Wolf book. CYOA covers were generally white with a red bar on a top and a colored title in big letters and had a small image in a frame below it. Lone Wolf games there was like a grid of numbers in the back you had to flip to with your finger on it to "Randomly" pick values. Fighting Fantasy I think asked you to use dice? IIRC this was the difference between these three series. If any of these are similar to your memory, I'd look up a list of books in that series and see if any of the covers look familiar. In 1989 especially these are probably the only gamebooks a person was likely to come across.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fighting_Fantasy_gamebooks is a place to start to see if any of the titles look familiar before looking for covers. My impression from your memories is it's likely a Fighting Fantasy title.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

I've been googling for a real long time:

2d side-scrolling "open-world" game, kind of like GTA. It was freeware or shareware circa 2004 and made by what I presume is an indie dev. You were a little blue cyborg mercenary guy in a crime-ridden cyberpunk city. You had a jetpack and could find weapons scattered around the city. Buildings and cars were destructible, and you could gib civilians or set them on fire and cause tons of chaos. Missions were GTA-like and had you doing favors for people, and if you caused too much carnage you'd get a star-level where sky-cops would chase you.

Searching GTA side-scroller doesn't bring up too much, and I mostly just see GTA.

finally found it! what a great little game, can't believe it was a Gamemaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9mFjAjjryk

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
For about 5 minutes that would feel like the most fun game ever

LL_Ghoul_J
Oct 22, 2004

Get Heavy
I’ve asked about this before and got no answer, so going to try again:

Sometime in the 90s, I remember my friend had a game for his computer (I don’t remember the make of computer sadly), that I’m pretty sure was based in a dungeon or castle of some kind, maybe like Shadowgate. I could be misremembering all of this. Anyway, the main reason why I’m looking for it is that when you died, an image of a grim reaper would come on the screen and play a song that went something like “evil triumphs, watch me decompose, evil triumphs, watch the flesh rot off of my bones” or something like that. I never played the game myself, but my friends used to sing the song all the time, changing words and so on. None of my friends can remember what it was called, I hope someone here can help.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That might be Shadowgate. Does the game over music sound like what you have in mind?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

LL_Ghoul_J posted:

I’ve asked about this before and got no answer, so going to try again:

Sometime in the 90s, I remember my friend had a game for his computer (I don’t remember the make of computer sadly), that I’m pretty sure was based in a dungeon or castle of some kind, maybe like Shadowgate. I could be misremembering all of this. Anyway, the main reason why I’m looking for it is that when you died, an image of a grim reaper would come on the screen and play a song that went something like “evil triumphs, watch me decompose, evil triumphs, watch the flesh rot off of my bones” or something like that. I never played the game myself, but my friends used to sing the song all the time, changing words and so on. None of my friends can remember what it was called, I hope someone here can help.

none of the setting stuff is correct at all really, but this still kinda reminds me of the death screen from Total Distortion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c4hnA8jXwo

LL_Ghoul_J
Oct 22, 2004

Get Heavy

ultrafilter posted:

That might be Shadowgate. Does the game over music sound like what you have in mind?

It’s definitely not Shadowgate, but I seem to remember it had that kind of dungeon vibe

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

I want you to tap me as hard as you can.
There was a browser-based game my friends used to play. It was themed around hacking. You would play collaboratively to take on hacking missions. It was sort of a proto version of today's timer based mobile games. You join in on a hacking mission that takes X amount of time and get some sort of reward that makes you better at some aspect of hacking.

Between 1998-2000

It has been at the tip of my brain off and on for years, and I just really want to know the name and see some screenshots.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Late 90's sounds terribly old for a browser multiplayer game like that. First game that came to my mind was SlaveHack, but it came out much later than that.

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

I want you to tap me as hard as you can.

BoldFace posted:

Late 90's sounds terribly old for a browser multiplayer game like that. First game that came to my mind was SlaveHack, but it came out much later than that.

Yeah, that's not it. We used to bike around in middle school to go create a hack every 2 hours. The timeframe is correct.

You could gain experience and specialize in certain things to help balance out your hacking team.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
It was an old, flipscreen (i.e. not scrolling) platform game that could be played on a 286 with EGA/CGA resolution.it may have even been monochrome. There were power ups you could use by pressing the appropriate key which would cost you money, and one of the was called "defolient" which would turn otherwise useless pot plants into slightly more money than it cost to cast.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I remember playing a game from the mid 2000s or it might have been the early 2010s: It was a first person shooter, really generic sci fi themed where you start off on a big military airship. The gimmick of the game was that instead of dialogue options, you typed out whatever you wanted to say and the characters around you would theoretically react accordingly, very similar to Facade if anyone remembers that one. The first thing I did was obviously try to inform the characters on the ship that they are all in fact characters in a videogame, to which they responded by taking my dude for a psych evaluation.

I never played much more of it because the actual moving around and shooting was janky as all hell and I don't think I've ever seen anyone talk about it since. I'd love to check it out again.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Some more info since I've just spent two hours looking for it. It was a PC game. I sadly don't remember if it was a commercial release or a freeware thing, hell at this point I'm not even sure it was a real thing given the absolute lack of information I can dig up on it.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Beartaco posted:

I remember playing a game from the mid 2000s or it might have been the early 2010s: It was a first person shooter, really generic sci fi themed where you start off on a big military airship. The gimmick of the game was that instead of dialogue options, you typed out whatever you wanted to say and the characters around you would theoretically react accordingly, very similar to Facade if anyone remembers that one. The first thing I did was obviously try to inform the characters on the ship that they are all in fact characters in a videogame, to which they responded by taking my dude for a psych evaluation.

I never played much more of it because the actual moving around and shooting was janky as all hell and I don't think I've ever seen anyone talk about it since. I'd love to check it out again.

It wouldn't happen to be Starship Titanic would it?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The details aren't quite right but it reminds me of CONSORTIUM.

peachsynapse
Dec 22, 2007

The sea monsters appreciate your good taste.

Potsticker posted:

For Gamebook memories, likely it'll be either a Fighting Fantasy, Choose Your Own Adventure or Lone Wolf book. CYOA covers were generally white with a red bar on a top and a colored title in big letters and had a small image in a frame below it. Lone Wolf games there was like a grid of numbers in the back you had to flip to with your finger on it to "Randomly" pick values. Fighting Fantasy I think asked you to use dice? IIRC this was the difference between these three series. If any of these are similar to your memory, I'd look up a list of books in that series and see if any of the covers look familiar. In 1989 especially these are probably the only gamebooks a person was likely to come across.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fighting_Fantasy_gamebooks is a place to start to see if any of the titles look familiar before looking for covers. My impression from your memories is it's likely a Fighting Fantasy title.

It turned out to be The Badlands of Hark by RL Stine - an odd little book in a two-book series.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

peachsynapse posted:

It turned out to be The Badlands of Hark by RL Stine - an odd little book in a two-book series.

Congrats on finding it!

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I'm looking for an (isometric?) western RPG from the mid to late 90s. I don't remember much gameplay or graphics wise. The only thing I remember is the major plot twist - the king was a zombie all along. This is revealed by the king taking off his helmet, and you start the next level with said helmet in your inventory as your first piece of the highest tier armour in the game.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Looking for a ca. early-to-mid-90s game I played on Win 3.11.. a simple labyrinth game, flat 3D polygons (similar to the first in-computer scenes in the OG Tron, only light & dark grey instead of cool-blue on black), you just drove around in a tank (i think?) shooting enemies. It was *barely* VGA, meaning the colors were still of the "it's VGA but garish so EGA cards will still display different-enough hues" type. I vaaaguely think it was done by an Italian developer? Or Italian-sounding name of the developer?

Pecked To Death
Jun 27, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
There's a game I remember playing on the Amiga as a child with my brother. It had a top down perspective and you played a wizard, it was single player unless the wizard summoned a stone golem type thing that player 2 could control, circa early 90s?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Pecked To Death posted:

There's a game I remember playing on the Amiga as a child with my brother. It had a top down perspective and you played a wizard, it was single player unless the wizard summoned a stone golem type thing that player 2 could control, circa early 90s?

Maybe Mystical?

Pecked To Death
Jun 27, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

BoldFace posted:

Maybe Mystical?

I managed to google it. Turns out you were a druid! Was older than I thought too, 86.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druid_(video_game)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Trying to remember the name of an old indie game that was pac-man, but had some metal gear influences like key cards and moving from screen to screen. It was 2d, but the board size was quite constrained compared to pac-man. I want to say it was something like each board was only 8x8 tiles or 8x12 or something really small like that.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

TiCK posted:

There was a browser-based game my friends used to play. It was themed around hacking. You would play collaboratively to take on hacking missions. It was sort of a proto version of today's timer based mobile games. You join in on a hacking mission that takes X amount of time and get some sort of reward that makes you better at some aspect of hacking.

Between 1998-2000

It has been at the tip of my brain off and on for years, and I just really want to know the name and see some screenshots.
Not browser-based (although the game simulates interfaces like a web browser and an email client), and it's from 2001, but maybe Uplink, a.k.a. Uplink: Hacker Elite?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Potsticker posted:

Trying to remember the name of an old indie game that was pac-man, but had some metal gear influences like key cards and moving from screen to screen. It was 2d, but the board size was quite constrained compared to pac-man. I want to say it was something like each board was only 8x8 tiles or 8x12 or something really small like that.

Probably completely wrong, but is it something like Chip's Challenge?

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

My request isn't exactly just about a game, but a system too. An extended family member from Mexico visited my grandma when I was young in the early '90s, and he brought a videogame system and 1 game with him which I played when I visited my grandma. I can't remember what it looked like, but the controllers were very similar to Colecovision ones; I distinctly remember it had beat up cardboard overlays that slid into the keypad, which had a hard plastic grid over it, just like a Colecovision. I'd say it was a simply a Colecovision or maybe an Intellivision...except that the only game I played on this mystery console, a card game, doesn't seem to exist in the Colecovision library. The card games on the Intellivision don't quite look like it either, plus neither of the 2 Inty model's controllers have that style of keypad grid.
Maybe this game was only released in Mexico for the Colecovision and hasn't showed up on Colecovision game lists because of that? Or maybe it was actually a computer that's basically a gaming console, like the C64, and he was using CV controllers in lieu of a joystick, and running off a cart? I don't remember seeing a keyboard though, and a quick check of a C64 cart list doesn't show any card games.
Or maybe my family member was simply an actual "Uncle who works at Nintendo (MX)" who had access to a prototype system?

Switzerland posted:

Looking for a ca. early-to-mid-90s game I played on Win 3.11.. a simple labyrinth game, flat 3D polygons (similar to the first in-computer scenes in the OG Tron, only light & dark grey instead of cool-blue on black), you just drove around in a tank (i think?) shooting enemies. It was *barely* VGA, meaning the colors were still of the "it's VGA but garish so EGA cards will still display different-enough hues" type. I vaaaguely think it was done by an Italian developer? Or Italian-sounding name of the developer?
Is it Hovertank 3D? It was published by Softdisk but made by id Software.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

*double post*

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

My request isn't exactly just about a game, but a system too. An extended family member from Mexico visited my grandma when I was young in the early '90s, and he brought a videogame system and 1 game with him which I played when I visited my grandma. I can't remember what it looked like, but the controllers were very similar to Colecovision ones; I distinctly remember it had beat up cardboard overlays that slid into the keypad, which had a hard plastic grid over it, just like a Colecovision. I'd say it was a simply a Colecovision or maybe an Intellivision...except that the only game I played on this mystery console, a card game, doesn't seem to exist in the Colecovision library. The card games on the Intellivision don't quite look like it either, plus neither of the 2 Inty model's controllers have that style of keypad grid.
Maybe this game was only released in Mexico for the Colecovision and hasn't showed up on Colecovision game lists because of that? Or maybe it was actually a computer that's basically a gaming console, like the C64, and he was using CV controllers in lieu of a joystick, and running off a cart? I don't remember seeing a keyboard though, and a quick check of a C64 cart list doesn't show any card games.
Or maybe my family member was simply an actual "Uncle who works at Nintendo (MX)" who had access to a prototype system?

Is it Hovertank 3D? It was published by Softdisk but made by id Software.

What was the card game/do you have any memory of what it looked like?

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

BaronVanAwesome posted:

What was the card game/do you have any memory of what it looked like?
It looked like Windows 3.11 Solitaire, but in low resolution like an early '80s console. I had no idea how to play card games on a TV or computer at that point in time, so I really didn't know what the rules were. But the layout, from what I remember, was like Solitaire.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Probably completely wrong, but is it something like Chip's Challenge?

Sorry, that isn't it. The movement was smooth like pac-man as well.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Do any of the consoles here look familiar? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_generation_of_video_game_consoles

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Potsticker posted:

Sorry, that isn't it. The movement was smooth like pac-man as well.

Do any of the consoles here look familiar? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_generation_of_video_game_consoles
I'm pretty familiar with the mainstream 2nd gen consoles, but this is the first time I've seen a picture of a VTech CreatiVision. From what I remember (it was a dark room), it looked like that or a Colecovision. I'm starting to wonder if it was some sort of pirate console, which is a can of worms on it's own.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I'm pretty familiar with the mainstream 2nd gen consoles, but this is the first time I've seen a picture of a VTech CreatiVision. From what I remember (it was a dark room), it looked like that or a Colecovision. I'm starting to wonder if it was some sort of pirate console, which is a can of worms on it's own.

Yeah, there's really no telling if it was using a shell from one of these systems. Did the card you inserted into the controller part of the specific solitaire-like game you remember? It doesn't look like any games of that sort were released for the CreatiVision.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Atari 5200 also had a similar controller, but I dunno...

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

It definitely wasn't a 5200, I have one. I'm starting to think it was a pirate console using a CV shell, CV controller-clones and god-knows-what hardware inside. Makes sense, considering that pirate consoles were and are common in countries south of the border. I didn't think about that until now, being an entitled American not used to pirate consoles.
The thing that gets me is that dang game. It's my personal Polybius, pretty much.

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 6, 2022

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Might be worth checking out this page - I know this is Brazil, but there were localizations made for a bunch of games, and this site has some of the overlays for there (under Documents) and might jog a memory.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Newgrounds (maybe?) kung-fu zombie fighting side scroller with a cool soundtrack. From 20 years ago. 8-bit style?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK this thread exists and maybe I can finally Id this game I've been trying to remember for the last twenty years.

Played on my 486-66 under DOS in the early 90s. So I'd probably date this game from the late 80s or very early 90s. I'd guess this might have been a contemporary of the original Duke Nukem side scroller games.

Memory hazy, but you were some kind of vehicle, hover-vehicle maybe?, in some kind of futuristic factory or lab or some kind of building with a lot of typical 90s dos game gradiented metal pipes and walls. The premise I *think* was that it was a maze type of layout and you had to plant bombs on the ground as you moved to blow up checkpoints or to unlock doors. The view was top down or maybe slightly off-top. I don't think it was ISO but I wouldn't be surprised to learn I'm not remembering that correctly. I don't remember what your goal was, maybe to escape from this factory?

The Closest I've managed to get is that it could POSSIBLY be Xenon, which shares the aesthetic of the game I'm thinking of, and some of the gameplay, but doesn't have the puzzle aspect. It's also considerably older than I expected but that isn't meaningful since a lot of 80s and early 90s games blend together for me.

Lacking the puzzle aspect is what is really keeping me from accepting that I actually played Xenon, mostly because I really just have a mental picture of basically Xenon but there being some walls I had to navigate around, but I'm perfectly willing to accept I'm not remembering accurately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Not one specific game, but I remember playing adventure(?) games on the ZX Spectrum Commodore 64(?), there were quite a few of them in a very specific graphic style - linear (i.e. movement left offscreen, right offscreen, or by entering doors, no multiple Y/Z layers on the screen) and very big character sprite, they looked kinda like Maniac Mansion without the verb menu.

Looking either for the engine/series name, or a few major titles using that style so I can prod my brain and finish the search myself.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 10, 2022