Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I don't have much info since it's a game I never played myself but saw articles about and got really interested in.

Game released sometime in 00s(?), SF setting, adventure/survival horror(?). It was about 3 survivors on some space ship/base that had most of the crew killed by some kind of virus released on board. The gimmick was that while you needed the skills of all three, each of them was infected with a different strain of the virus and if two ever met the virus would kill them both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Kurui Reiten posted:

Since no one has answered this one yet, you're thinking of Martian Gothic: Unification.
Thanks! Though it seems I've misremembered how the game looks :cripes:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I need to find another old game I really wanted to play back in the day but never did:

Made in the late 1980s(?). Had 3D graphics but very primitive. SF setting, you could fly around the planet and the solar system. I remember that it hand some overarching goals like stopping an asteroid from hitting an inhabited planet and rigging the presidential elections but it was very open-ended.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Catellite posted:

And this sounds like Damocles for the Amiga.
I think that's it. It also seems that I mixed parts of the second and third game together.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Looking for 2 titles:

- arcade game from the 90s, with Spider-Man and 3 other characters to choose from. It changed perspective so some stages played like a classic beat'em up and some like a platform game.

- DOS game, similar to Archon in that you have a main boardgame map but when pieces meet they duke it out in an action part. Instead of a pseudo-chess board, it had an actual map and you bought units, traps and other stuff (spells? items?) with points. I remember two units - an emaciated ghoul that was invisible for most of the fight and an extremely muscly red demon that barely fit into its square.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 22, 2020

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I think so. Apparently it was too generic of a title to avoid false positives.

That's it!

Thanks!

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 22, 2020

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

AuroMarshmallow posted:

I remember playing an old shareware/freeware game, probably from one of those old 200-game CDs they'd sell at Staples or wherever, in which you were some kind of space knight venturing to "the red planet" for some reason. I vaguely remember it being an RPG with a turn based battle system, and I think it was a sequel. I think you fought with some kind of blaster. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of this game and I haven't been able to find anything resembling it on any lists of old shareware games from the late 90s/early 00s.

Not sure about the knight, but Space 1889 maybe?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Looking for an RPG, on either Amiga or DOS VGA era, all I remember is that the title started with A and that it was set during an ice age. I thought it was Aarklash as it sounded similar, but that's another game altogether.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Martian posted:

Aleshar: World of Ice?

Yes this is it, thanks.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I need to find out not a title, but the exact specific source of the System Shock quote "Look at you hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone..."
IIRC it appears in the SS2 intro, but I'm 95% sure it originally came from the first game. What I don't know and I'm looking for is where/when in the first game it's said.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 13, 2021

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Thanks, that explains why I couldn't find it in the game itself.

Serephina posted:

Google is your friend. Using that exact phrase, second hit:
No idea why I skipped that. Probably read Many instead of Meat and went "SS2, not what I'm looking for".

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

I think part of why System Shock 2 still holds up is because that bit of Shodan's dialogue is still terrifying 20+ years later, as we grow closer to an actual machine saying it to us

It's definitely a very different experience playing it 15 years later with a different perspective. last time I definitely glossed over how SHODAN actually behaves like a newly emergent being that's experimenting with its identity with no knowledge/feeling of its own limits, and how the Many is actually way older than her.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 15, 2021

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sonderval posted:

I'm looking for something I'm fairly sure I saw on SA being LP'd, space 4x ish game in an old Windows App ships / fleets were small triangles and there were circles? You design and upgraded ships ... yeah its all very vague in my head.

The game sounds like Stars!, but there's no LP of it on the master list.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Trying to remember a late 90s/early 00s medieval strategy and city-building game that had a janky RTS battle system with a top-down view. Im pretty sure it was a sequel of some sort, and its not Knights & Merchants or Stronghold.

Lords of the Realm 2?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Arcade (as in actual coin-op) game I played in like 1993. It was a fantasy fighter where you could either play a ladder mode like Mortal Kombat or other such titles, or a 2-player match on 1 credit for both players. The battlefield was not linear, but pseudo-3D with 2 axes of freedom on a square arena. The characters were not named individuals but generic fantasy monsters like Dragon or Golem (those two are what I remember for sure).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yes it was that, thanks!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Beartaco posted:

I'm looking for a PS2 game (maybe PS1 but I don't think so) which was a top down 1 on 1 fighting game where the characters flew around firing energy beams at each other, very much like Dragon Ball Z but definitely not Dragon Ball Z. I had it on a demo disc and it seemed cool since I liked DBZ and for some reason I never thought to try any of the hundred actual DBZ games out at the time. I don't think the demo had a single player mode.

You might want to look at Destrega which has a developed energy missile mechanic, and also Tobal 1/2 which had the Dragon Ball game guy as character designer. Both for PS1.

e:f,b

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

That sweet sweet moment when you got to win the nuclear era by taking 1 man and letting the two opponents nuke each other MAD-style

FTFY.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

blatman posted:

please help goons, I stumbled across an old DOS rpg on an abandonware website like 6 years ago and I suddenly really want to play it. this is a list of what I know about it:

-it's set in a snowy tundra sort of environment
-it has survival mechanics
-it had fairly bad reviews due to..complexity I think? there was some reason it had kinda a poo poo rating on the website
-the name sounded really cool

I know this is basically nothing to work from but any help would be appreciated

Unreal World? Not sure if it had a DOS version, but it fits and certainly looks like stuff you'd find on abandonware sites.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

blatman posted:

nope but good guess, I might just download that in the meantime

In that case maybe Aleshar: World of Ice? (not sure about the survival mechanics)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What was that indie platformer about a gothy girl who went to an orphanage/boarding school, found a grimoire that started corrupting her and every chapter started with a scene of her trying to get rid of the grimoire in a different way?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

They Bleed Pixels.

Thanks!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Not one specific game, but I remember playing adventure(?) games on the ZX Spectrum Commodore 64(?), there were quite a few of them in a very specific graphic style - linear (i.e. movement left offscreen, right offscreen, or by entering doors, no multiple Y/Z layers on the screen) and very big character sprite, they looked kinda like Maniac Mansion without the verb menu.

Looking either for the engine/series name, or a few major titles using that style so I can prod my brain and finish the search myself.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 10, 2022

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

wb posted:

tir na nog/dun darach/marsport?
It looked similar, but I remember the character sprites being more stylized with bigger heads, a bit more Maniac Mansion-like. IIRC, that was a design that repeated in several games too. For what it's worth one of the games had a name in the title (yes I realize it doesn't narrow it much).

quote:

failing that,
pyjamarama/everyone's a wally/three weeks in paradise/herbert's dummy run?

No, definitely not like these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

wb posted:

gregory loses his clock/flunky?

i don't think i know. maybe they weren't ported to my system. good luck finding them, i'm curious too now!

After skimming through various collection videos on youtube I reached the conclusion that I still have no loving idea what the game was, but that I most likely played it on Commodore 64 and not Spectrum as I posted, so sorry for any confusion I caused.

ed: loving HELL! Literally a minute after posting this I found the game and it was on the Spectrum. The game was Andy Capp.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 10, 2022