Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Early 2000s or late 90s PC game that I only played a demo of on my divorced dad's laptop when he came to visit. You flew a hovercar around a futuristic city (think Bladerunner) doing random missions, and I think a lot of them were just taxi jobs. Sometimes you'd get attacked by random assholes and I believe your car could get guns and rockets to defend itself with. It didn't really play like a flight sim at all, in fact I think you were locked to a single plane so no, it's not Hardwar. What stood out for me was that there was a lot of AI traffic just flying around, probably my first experience with such a populated world. Fully 3D graphics with a dark & neon cyberpunk atmosphere. Like I said though, I only ever played the demo so who knows how it opened up.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh, got another one. This one played one afternoon on a friend's computer must be over 20 years ago. First-person tank game, none of us could figure out the controls until it was too late so we only ever saw the beginning. You start out on a landing strip or something and to your left is a big battleship that starts shooting at you. We figured out the throttle but not how to turn and if you just go forwards you fall into the water and sink. Either 2.5D or early 3D, flat-shaded polygons, if you can figure this one out you must be some kind of savant.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Nope, definitely later than that and fully 3D. No pedestrians as far as I know. Plus the cars actually flew, like I said, think Bladerunner.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
OK, so some searching of my own makes me think it's either BHunter or Crime Cities, leaning towards the former. Gotta say though, both games still look kinda good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DAfMjQ2BU0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm3EuZlsJH0

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've got another one I've been trying to figure out. Early to mid 2000s I think, I've attached an image that sums it up.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Thanks.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SniperWoreConverse posted:

nah, it's a similar concept but the camera was locked to isometric and I don't think it was 3d at all, at most prerendered. Also the parts weren't normal animal parts, it was like 100% mutant alien stuff

Was it Genewars: A Peter Molyneux Joint?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Pretty good posted:

Oh my god that's it, thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhYkiGniyBk

It's a lot more mid-90s Piss poo poo Edgy than I remember it being!

Oh poo poo, I remember playing the Windows version of this. What a weird thing.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looking for a game, either freeware or shareware, from either the late 90s or early 2000s. It was a, what I now understand to be, roguelike that actually worked like the original Rogue in that enemies only took actions when you did. It was sort of "cleanliness" themed in that you were shooting bubbles and stuff at evil germs or dirt or something, maybe it was actually full-on Innerspace themed? Quite bizzare. Pretty basic, 2D graphics, grid-based, I think you played as some sort of little tank. Thinking harder, it was actually more of a shooter, though, in that there were no invisible dice rolls: if you or an enemy got hit by a projectile, you got hit. I don't think there were really any RPG elements either, no levelling and all the pickups were just new weapons.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

Looking for a game, either freeware or shareware, from either the late 90s or early 2000s. It was a, what I now understand to be, roguelike that actually worked like the original Rogue in that enemies only took actions when you did. It was sort of "cleanliness" themed in that you were shooting bubbles and stuff at evil germs or dirt or something, maybe it was actually full-on Innerspace themed? Quite bizzare. Pretty basic, 2D graphics, grid-based, I think you played as some sort of little tank. Thinking harder, it was actually more of a shooter, though, in that there were no invisible dice rolls: if you or an enemy got hit by a projectile, you got hit. I don't think there were really any RPG elements either, no levelling and all the pickups were just new weapons.

I found it! Talkin' about Drain Storm

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've got a tough game I'm trying to remember. For one, it never came out, for another it wasn't technically a game. Rather, it was an overambitious Battlefield 2 mod being made by the same team that had created Galactic Conquest, a Star Wars TC for BF1942 that had even gotten stuff like walkers and space maps working. The mod was to have been a unique sci-fi epic, spanning something like 100 years of an alien invasion. The first version was supposed to have been set in contemporary time with modern militaries or agents or something fighting against the ET expeditionary force, with subsequent versions advancing the timeline. Its forums was actually one of the first online communities I joined, and when BF2142 was announced I refused to buy it and threw my lot in with the modders.

Needless to say, it never came out due to engine limitations and the project was completely abandoned. So, any clue what I'm talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
First-person tank game from the 90s. I can't remember whether it was late enough for proper texturing or if it was completely flat-shaded. In the first mission you start off right next to an enemy battleship that starts shooting you, and I played it once at a friends house where we spent the entire time trying to figure out how to go forward but for some reason it's stuck with me.