Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Raccoonboy posted:

US: I think the top queen should be able to eliminate anyone from the beginning, it would make better tv, i think India was lying because we would've 100% seen that clip if they said it

At first that's what I was thinking, and I would agree with you...UNLESS the producers are sitting on that footage for a later episode (or more likely the reunion).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I could 100% see the producers sitting on the footage if it exists. Even if it's only to hold onto it for an episode or two until Alexis or Shea potentially get the boot, or yeah the reunion.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
People keep mentioning a reunion. Is there gonna be one? The only time they've done one was for AS2.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh right good point lmao

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Let's do the math: 8 people left, Juju was out of the vote because she won. That leaves seven votes, you needed four to guarantee the chance to eliminate someone. Alexis, Mayhem, India, and Mariah = four votes. Either they were approached and they weren't willing to vote out Shea, or they weren't approached.

I do think that if there had been a vote to eliminate Shea there would have been some producer fuckery to let Juju win so that Shea could stay. As a plus, we would have had her reaction to receiving four votes which would have been good TV.

I don't think that Alexis did what India was saying, I could see her mentioning it (even as a trial balloon) but not an actual plan. SOMEONE had to bring up the possibility.

I expect we'll see whatever video that exists in the last episode because WoW can't help themselves. (Although, we still don't know who Bebe picked so...)

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Pinwiz11 posted:

I expect we'll see whatever video that exists in the last episode because WoW can't help themselves. (Although, we still don't know who Bebe picked so...)

I think she confirmed that she picked Trixie and would've brought back Morgan. Some podcast T.

Trixie, I can understand, but honestly don't know why she also wanted to bring back Morgan (unless it was because it would be easy to send her home again, lol)

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

I think she confirmed that she picked Trixie and would've brought back Morgan. Some podcast T.

Trixie, I can understand, but honestly don't know why she also wanted to bring back Morgan (unless it was because it would be easy to send her home again, lol)

i still want to know how they wouldve done the episode if the returning queens girl group won
(as if the performance matters to production though)

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

When was AS5 filmed? Pre- or mid- (as in, now) COVID? Same question for Canada, except they're not a failed state, so I'm less worried about them dying on a respirator

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Jr. posted:

When was AS5 filmed? Pre- or mid- (as in, now) COVID? Same question for Canada, except they're not a failed state, so I'm less worried about them dying on a respirator

Last year for AS5, I assume the same for Canada.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Drag Race Canada is incredible and I'm HEARTBROKEN that one of my immediate favorites had to go. It's so wholesome and Kyne shoulda gotten the boot, but Brooke Lynn straight up saying "hey, accept critique and don't be an rear end in a top hat" was great. Having 3 judges rather than just RuPaul calling all of the shots is a great idea, and the set (as well as the runway/judge's area) makes RPDR look so incredibly low-budget in comparison. I hope they can keep it going; I haven't had so much fun with a drag competition since Dragula.

I'm hoping AS5 has a reunion; the zoom one for the latest season was great and it'll cost Crave or whoever is paying for it very little.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Weird that all these overseas RPDRs make positive changes to the formula and yet the US series has done the same thing since... I guess they brought in the finale lipsync in 7?

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Jr. posted:

June-early July of 2019, Season 12 filmed immediately after that, both took about 6 weeks iirc but all stars might have been a week shorter

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

tote up a bags posted:

Weird that all these overseas RPDRs make positive changes to the formula and yet the US series has done the same thing since... I guess they brought in the finale lipsync in 7?

Because World of Wonder is lazy, stuck in their ways, and too cheap to hire anyone of talent. And why not, as long as it makes money, why change anything. Meanwhile the overseas production companies actually care.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Trixie and Katya’s “we like to watch” series is so good. their take on Tiger King is a delight.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

gandlethorpe posted:

People keep mentioning a reunion. Is there gonna be one? The only time they've done one was for AS2.

True. The past 2 All-Stars, they brought all the queens back in different ways. AS3 had the girl group challenge and the Jury thing (RIP Shangela). AS4 just had the lip sync battle. It doesn't even seem like they're going to bother with bringing the eliminated queens back in any fashion this season. Other than the India beef, not sure it would be worth the time, I guess.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

tote up a bags posted:

The finale lipsync was started in season 9 because Ru wanted to stress the importance of a good lipsync after a couple of shameful performances that year (Charlie Hides & Valentina).

Edit: the lip sync battle anyway. I guess 7 and 8 had those personalised songs that the top 3 performed.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
and yet we're through 1.5 seasons this year and not a single astonishing lipsync yet

even 11 managed to have one good one :x

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Zvahl posted:

and yet we're through 1.5 seasons this year and not a single astonishing lipsync yet

Well, the Zoom call format kind of limited the ability for a Sasha/Yvie-type moment. But still, Crystal's birds :colbert:

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Got a weird vibe from DRCAN. No Untucked. 3 Host/Judges actually voting. It almost feels more like more of a competition and less of an exploitative reality TV show. But then I can't explain the actual results of the judging. Poor Juice Box. She seemed sweet but that outfit just wasn't going to cut it. It seemed like her box had a lot of useful material to make something really cool. Maybe if she layered the CD shards to make a full on chain mail bikini? Jimbo seems fun. Can't stand Kyne. That is one horrendous attitude problem even, if you had all of the skill to back it up (she didn't).

Now back to the drama of AS5. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I really don't like it when the queens fight for realz. I'm more inclined to believe Alexis over India, but it's probably a situation with little of A and a little of B. India's math doesn't add up as Mariah would need to have voted for Shea in order for the conspiracy to work. The timing of it all was too on the nose for India as well. Oh I must confess this grave sin that weighs so heavily on my consciousness right when you need to decide who to eliminate. It was like a power move straight out of a hidden traitor game. Acting and lying are two different things. I could never do Snatch game myself, but I can airlock a Cylon/Werewolf/Spy with the best of them.Of what we saw, Alexis did note out loud that Shea's critiques were the toughest. And in her talking head, she floats the idea of getting rid of her biggest competition. I could picture Alexis, Mayhem, and India talking and the former two flat out saying they made up their mind and will vote for Shea. Gives enough kernel of truth for India to spin it. But seems like most don't believe India since everyone voted for her. And Untucked wants you to take Alexis's side because it deliberating shows you clips of her trying to coach India for Snatch Game.

Regardless, Shea better win. :colbert:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Zvahl posted:

Huh, really?

Do you define "astonishing lipsync" as one where BOTH queens are doing well? Or as one where one queen is obviously dominating? I find myself going back and forth on which type I like better. On the one hand, obviously the former is awesome, as the more "Oooh! Ahhh!" the better. However, there's a certain art to the latter, where you watch the one queen do her thing while the other queen is essentially her backup dancer.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I think this week's Drag Race Canada LSFYL was really great, and the bonus of it being Carly Rae was :kimchi:

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Read After Burning posted:

Huh, really?

Do you define "astonishing lipsync" as one where BOTH queens are doing well? Or as one where one queen is obviously dominating? I find myself going back and forth on which type I like better. On the one hand, obviously the former is awesome, as the more "Oooh! Ahhh!" the better. However, there's a certain art to the latter, where you watch the one queen do her thing while the other queen is essentially her backup dancer.

nah, it's entirely subjective, yvie/brooke and adore/TKB were fun because both of them were just having a great time and the song was worthwhile. dida/princess and naomi/monet were also fun and not nearly so equitable.

I'll always prefer both people be entertaining just because of quantity but still feeling moderately deflated seeing shea and alyssa do something to goddamn neutron dance and having it be kinda meh

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
DRCAN LSFYL definitely would've been a double save if it happened later in a season, what a drat shame.

I was trying to keep track of Canadianism moments to help the thread out in understanding them but there. were. so. god. drat. many. So I'm sorry, I can't keep track of every Okanagan Trail or Seperatiste joke and I really wanted to try

also:

Eej posted:

And on the runway today, you will be serving Poutine Realness

Eej posted:

I'm gonna flip my poo poo if there's a Canadian Heritage Moment challenge

I'm counting this one as half because Muskoka was a box which is as nonsensical as the rest of these names

Eej posted:

Wish drag wasn't so focused around major cities cause it woulda been fun to see American fans' brains melt when a bunch of queens are introduced from Mississauga, Osoyoos and Kapuskasing and they process it as just gibberish

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

i still can't get over much rusic video prance

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Zvahl posted:

I'll always prefer both people be entertaining just because of quantity but still feeling moderately deflated seeing shea and alyssa do something to goddamn neutron dance and having it be kinda meh

Speaking of: ever since that lip sync, I had been wondering why Neutron Dance sounds SO similar to the Ducktales theme. Turns out, they were written by the same guy! My mind was blown!

Canadian goons: in RPDR UK, some of the other contestants poo poo on Cheryl Hole for doing a more "American" style of drag (both with the way she speaks and her focus on dancing), as apparently classic British drag is more focused on live vocals. Is there a contestant in Canada's Drag Race that "stands out" against their country's norms in this way? The little explanation video with UK's Crystal made it sound like Canada's drag scene has a lot more variety than the UK's does, so maybe this is a dumb question.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
We ain't that different, you and I, so no, there's no real like "this is too American". Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto are like 17 miles, 40 miles and 80 miles away from the US border respectively and the latter is only that far because you gotta drive around the lake.

The real weirdness to me is how DRCAN has more diversity than regular Drag Race when we got 10% of the population of you guys. I never realized how few (if any??) Carribean Islanders were on Drag Race until now.

It's also blowing my loving mind that Priyanka used to be a Zone PJ

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Eej posted:

The real weirdness to me is how DRCAN has more diversity than regular Drag Race when we got 10% of the population of you guys. I never realized how few (if any??) Carribean Islanders were on Drag Race until now.

She's Polynesian, but I believe Brita is the first from that region? And I believe both Vivacious and Monet mentioned being from Jamaica and Saint Lucia, respectively.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Does Puerto Rico count?

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
technically that is where the island is located but as to whether or not they consider themselves as such I have no idea

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Eej posted:

We ain't that different, you and I, so no, there's no real like "this is too American". Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto are like 17 miles, 40 miles and 80 miles away from the US border respectively and the latter is only that far because you gotta drive around the lake.

I grew up near the Canadian border. When we turned 19, we would all go across the border to go legally drink in Canada, then head back home for the night.

Eej posted:

It's also blowing my loving mind that Priyanka used to be a Zone PJ

I don't know what that is, but he's cute

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Hey.

Jimbo on the mountain top. I died.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nihonniboku posted:

I grew up near the Canadian border. When we turned 19, we would all go across the border to go legally drink in Canada, then head back home for the night.

Same except I grew up in Northern BC and we would drive 20min across the Alberta border to get wasted at 18.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
19 seems like such a weirdly arbitrary age for drinking but then I remember I live in a country that has 21st parties purely bc of american cultural hegemony so I shouldn't really judge

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nihonniboku posted:

I don't know what that is, but he's cute

The Zone was (is?) an after school programming block on YTV which is basically Canadian Nickelodeon and they would have people doing short variety show stuff to fill in the time between TV shows. That's what Priyanka was referring to as being a host for kids TV.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Zone is very much alive and well and I'm 70% sure Carlos is still one of the hosts, or was until very very recently.

e: yeah carlos left in 2018 after nearly 20 years as a host loool

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

a challenge based on The Zone would be perfect b/c it would include the classic Drag Race dilemma of 'someone has to take a role where they can only use their head/face for the performance' by having someone be a knock off Snit

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Ah, so it's like if Steve from Blue's Clues resurfaced as a drag queen

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Switching gears to All Stars for a second, what an incredibly hilarious time for India to do Jeffree Star for her villain edit. It's too bad Jeffree has never gotten canceled for his racism, violence and sexual predation but hey it just makes that Snatch Game choice all the more awkward.

gandlethorpe posted:

Ah, so it's like if Steve from Blue's Clues resurfaced as a drag queen

Yes, exactly.

esperterra posted:

The Zone is very much alive and well and I'm 70% sure Carlos is still one of the hosts, or was until very very recently.

e: yeah carlos left in 2018 after nearly 20 years as a host loool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2mqMA_JiYU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just finished Season 1 and wow, that was sooome lovely judging and rampant misogyny back then huh. They hadn't decided what kind of criteria queens would be judged on aside from "is she a sexy woman" and it's ridiculous how much they indulged in that aside from Santino who is a garbage person anyway.

The Reunited episode is like a master class in how to turn a victory lap into a shitshow. Bringing up how everyone feels about Rebecca in an attempt to get some drama or closure and they just made her look even worse. I can't believe they let Santino just say stupid poo poo like "You have no style, some people are born with it and some aren't" to Shanel of all people.

Tammie getting in her iconic line when saying that they shouldn't indulge in negativity when the entire world is already full of it causing Ru to go on an insane manic old man rant that was basically people hated her and she became strong by ignoring them. Conveniently avoiding the part where they can't ignore the negativity from the judges because they have to make the judges happy. Really glad production took a hammer to the judging situation in later seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
untucked season 3 is a transphobic trip that's probably worth avoiding a lot of just as a heads up