Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Nihonniboku posted:

Anyway, I came here to ask a question. Does anybody know why Ru's song Supermodel has never been used on the show? Instead they always use the very similar sounding song Cover Girl. I've always assumed that for whatever reason Ru doesn't hold the rights to Supermodel, but who does?

nfi, i can't find any specific info about the current rights to that song today but it was released on tommy boy records which despite a brief ownership by WB is independent so its odd bc as far as I know they are pretty good at licensing stuff out from their catalogue. Nothing indicates wb still own the rights so maybe Ru just resents paying to use her own music since she's had her own label since before the show was a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I’m also asian (filipino, specifically) and the show has always had a pretty lovely relationship with asian representation, with the most egregious early example probably being Manila’s extremely fobby reporter character in S3, though there’s probably a few Michelle runway comments from S2 that would make me tug my collar in 2020. The last few seasons have been somewhat disappointing showings for asian queens, apart from the obvious treasure that is Kim Chi. It especially sucked to have Rock M Sakura and Kyne get chopped so early into their respective runs; I appreciated how Rock lampshaded the weeaboo tendencies of asian drag queens in her intro.

anyway, if you want to see asian drag queens excel, there’s always Drag Race Thailand. I just started on S2 and I’ve already been gagged multiple times

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

tote up a bags posted:

Also Michelle scolding someone raised abroad for accidentally dropping their cover accent

Also everyone gagging at the idea that Beyonce might not mean anything at all to a Vietnamese immigrant

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
It was also stupid that she got the most scrutiny for not knowing enough about Mariah. Her being an immigrant aside, she was the youngest one on her team, which had 4 queens age 30+.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
At least we got

https://twitter.com/YuhuaHamasaki/status/1120358931157651457

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

tote up a bags posted:

Also Michelle scolding someone raised abroad for accidentally dropping their cover accent

Oh yeah this part was especially gross. She obviously isn't close with anyone born in any of those big Asian countries. I have so many friends who have a perfectly occer Australian accent which dissapears the second they are stressed or talking to their parents.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Michelle is racist garbage scum

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
michelle's "no, this is how you talk!" when plastique was stressed because of runway critique made me physically wince harder than most bad poo poo on drag race has managed

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kyne dug her own grave thinking her poo poo didnt stink.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm glad I got to see Kyne perform prior to the show, so I love her no matter what. (I mean, a Trigonometry-based song? :allears:)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
RECTANGLE GIRLS OF THE WORLD

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Has there ever been a Desi queen on "classic" Drag Race? I've been rooting for Priyanka in CDR and struggled to think of a Desi queen on RPDR

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

beepsandboops posted:

Has there ever been a Desi queen on "classic" Drag Race? I've been rooting for Priyanka in CDR and struggled to think of a Desi queen on RPDR

Priyanka is the first.
If you would like an introduction to Desi queens, check out the performers from this show that ran last Friday:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CC_w79glNWi/?igshid=86k3xszvletp

Kamani Sutra had one of my favorite numbers:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDDL3xml_He/?igshid=8zalfeokfxbp

And Bon Abhijeet is ALWAYS a delight, but her number from the show isn’t online yet. Here’s one from December:
https://www.instagram.com/tv/B6LvgKxpjbt/?igshid=sptmbsagq7r2

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Living in tiny town Iowa I love the various shows for the chance to see all of these amazing queens but I am just at a point where it is so hard to watch them get crushed by the production grinder.

Having recently escaped a profession where success is primarily evaluated by participation in one organization, I feel a deep empathy for everyone that clearly isn’t made for the show but feels pressured to do it because of what it can do for your brand, billings and all that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

welcome to the entertaintment business

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Zvahl posted:

michelle's "no, this is how you talk!" when plastique was stressed because of runway critique made me physically wince harder than most bad poo poo on drag race has managed

It's also incredibly upsetting to me that Plastique was told that the "Asian character" was "getting old", when there are plenty of queens who rely on schticks in their performances! For example, Trinity T. (aka probably my favorite RPDR queen ever) relies on her Southern accent a LOT. Similarly, there have been several black queens who often fall back on a...well, "hood" character during challenges. Hell, even Silky repeatedly incorporated "eating and/or pulling food out of her clothes" on that same season! Where are the critiques of her (or Eureka) pulling out the "big girl" character yet again?

This isn't meant to be an attack on those other queens! It's just very frustrating that there seemed to be a bit of a double-standard with Plastique.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Hug in a Can posted:

And Bon Abhijeet is ALWAYS a delight, but her number from the show isn’t online yet. Here’s one from December:

I love Bon Abhijeet!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Hug in a Can posted:

I saw her four years ago at the first Austin international drag festival. She glued two entire plexiglass trophies to high heeled shoes, performed to Chandelier, and fell rear end over teakettle into some phenomenally drunk sorority girls. I've loved her since.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

GrandmaParty posted:

I saw her four years ago at the first Austin international drag festival. She glued two entire plexiglass trophies to high heeled shoes, performed to Chandelier, and fell rear end over teakettle into some phenomenally drunk sorority girls. I've loved her since.

Please god, let there be footage of this somewhere!

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

It's also incredibly upsetting to me that Plastique was told that the "Asian character" was "getting old", when there are plenty of queens who rely on schticks in their performances! For example, Trinity T. (aka probably my favorite RPDR queen ever) relies on her Southern accent a LOT. Similarly, there have been several black queens who often fall back on a...well, "hood" character during challenges. Hell, even Silky repeatedly incorporated "eating and/or pulling food out of her clothes" on that same season! Where are the critiques of her (or Eureka) pulling out the "big girl" character yet again?

This isn't meant to be an attack on those other queens! It's just very frustrating that there seemed to be a bit of a double-standard with Plastique.

If I had to guess, it would be a combination of familiarity with the tropes and personal taste for the judges. The “hood” character is so common that when a queen uses it multiple times it doesn’t necessarily read as the same character it reads as multiple characters with the similar traits. Vietnamese people are less well known in American media, especially as Vietnamese characters versus some sort of east Asian conglomerate. The one exception is specifically Vietnamese nail technician. Therefore, due to only having one trope for the judges to fall back on, they read Plastique as playing the same character.
Furthermore, RuPaul in particular seems to always find “hood” characters hilarious and so reusing those stock elements is probably smart from a game perspective on behalf of the queens.

Finally, expecting consistency in judging on RPDR is the quickest way to become frustrated or angry at the show.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

garthoneeye posted:

Finally, expecting consistency in judging on RPDR is the quickest way to become frustrated or angry at the show.

Need I remind you of season 6 where they tore into Joslyn and Courtney for having the same base structure to all of their looks (4 bikinis, "resting on pretty") while never even once mentioning Darienne or Bianca (sequin trash bags, boatneck gowns)

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

"Dahlia, your tulle look is too basic. Drag is about going all out. *beat* Rock, this is too much. Tone it down, Jesus."

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I mean if you're talking about Ru herself she laughs the hardest at all the crude jokes because she's old as hell which informs her humour. Playing into an over the top overused racial stereotype is like guaranteed to make Ru bust a gut laughing second only to fat jokes

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Unless it's fart jokes. Dick jokes, racial stereotypes, fat jokes are all fine but how dare you try to make farts funny.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Shout out to CDR for having a chunkier member of the pit crew come in. He was extremly my type

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Fritz the Horse posted:

Unless it's fart jokes. Dick jokes, racial stereotypes, fat jokes are all fine but how dare you try to make farts funny.

Fart jokes are funny when Ru/the skit writers make them, if contestants make them on their own that’s when they are the nadir of comedy.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

A God drat Ghost posted:

I love Bon Abhijeet!

GrandmaParty posted:

I LOVE HER TOO!!! Send her tips at @bon_abhijeet on venmo and check out her wonderful IG feed:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CClqG7MJ_dd/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAnm9H_pykx/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B97GgeFJy_w/

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/ziggyzdizzy/status/1288071633387675649

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Read After Burning posted:

Please god, let there be footage of this somewhere!

God, I wish. I've been looking. Maybe I'll tweet her.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

garthoneeye posted:

Fart jokes are funny when Ru/the skit writers make them, if contestants make them on their own that’s when they are the nadir of comedy.

well yeah only you can like the smell of your own farts

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

a challenge has insinuated coprophilia by being a riff on when divine ate poo poo so I seriously don’t know what high horse michelle is riding on. rock m shoulda ripped one biden style on the zoom finale

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Little Death posted:

Shout out to CDR for having a chunkier member of the pit crew come in. He was extremly my type

I liked this because my partner said it meant that maybe I could be a pit crew someday :v:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Little Death posted:

My wife saw that and was like, WOW - pretty bold of them. And I was like -- that's me... :unsmith:... oil me up.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Darienne's one-sided rivalry with Ben de la Creme is still very very strange.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The magic of editing

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Drag Race rewatch is going well, we're up to All Stars 3 and I think I'm gonna hop off the train and let the rest of my group finish once we get done with it. Seasons 10 and 11 were the height of "rupaul is phoning it in" and "the producers are pushing the fat girl to the end whether she should be there or not" and also I don't want to deal with Vixen Discourse again.

My friend is English and hates that "I Am American" gets stuck in his head so often because he walks around the house muttering it to himself when he's not even American. Cue Duolingo:

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

curiousTerminal posted:

Drag Race rewatch is going well, we're up to All Stars 3 and I think I'm gonna hop off the train and let the rest of my group finish once we get done with it. Seasons 10 and 11 were the height of "rupaul is phoning it in" and "the producers are pushing the fat girl to the end whether she should be there or not" and also I don't want to deal with Vixen Discourse again.

My friend is English and hates that "I Am American" gets stuck in his head so often because he walks around the house muttering it to himself when he's not even American. Cue Duolingo:

I don't know why, but my brain endlessly turns it into "I AM A... PELICAN, A PELICAN, MY BEAK'S IN THE BLUE."

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

American is this weird song where I don't dislike or even like it, but every time I hear it I still get lowkey pumped and immediately sing along

It's a fuckin earworm for sure

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

esperterra posted:

American is this weird song where I don't dislike or even like it, but every time I hear it I still get lowkey pumped and immediately sing along

It's a fuckin earworm for sure

aquaria's verse in it manages to be the one time outside of read u wrote u that that particular challenge was amazing as opposed to a decent way to pass the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

read u wrote u is the pinnacle of songwriting challenges but kitty girl and queens everywhere belong in the same conversation as all three are powerful earworms

I don’t think I feel the same way about american except the chorus. I mildly dislike aquaria’s verse because it’s way past the uncanny autotune valley for a rpdr joint. Though I do get the beginning of asia’s verse stuck in my head frequently. her name was ETCHED in SAW-ROW

meanwhile despite it being less than a week I can’t remember a single goddamn thing about clap back, besides the title