Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Finally caught up with the season, and even if it wasn't for everything else Sherry should have been in the bottom for that bullshit. Not knowing how long your set/act/talk is is a pet peeve of mine. That poo poo is unprofessional and deserves the Vaudeville hook straight into a wood chipper.

Sad as hell to see Heidi go, but I think she's got a great career ahead of her and can't wait to see what she does next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

lol if Michelle had her way tho Sherry would have been in the bottom for sure.

Yeah Ru was all "don't you think you're being a little harsh?" and I was yelling "NOPE SEND HER rear end HOME" at the TV. I reckon Michelle has been on the receiving end of that diva poo poo. I have, albeit not in a drag context, which is part of why it pisses me off so much.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

You also need to post that in French, which I believe is "ouasss".

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just watched the newest episode last night and the most :aaa: moment was when they said Sherry is 27 years old. What the gently caress? She looks my age, and I'm old as balls.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So good to see Jujubee and Shea again. And I love Cracker and I don't care who knows. There, I said it.

I really, really hope we get some Peppermint this season.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Alternatively, if I had gotten drunk before her performance I would have thought she had done better.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah IIRC during her season Yvie was saying that the clock was ticking for her as a drag queen because in a few years it's possible that she physically won't be able to do it. Which sucks, a lot.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

S4 wrestling challenge where they had the queens taking real bumps lmao

For a second I thought you meant cocaine and then it clicked lol

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I thought Shea's verse in the challenge was one of the better ones, but not clearly the best. That runway look just fuckin' knocked me out, though, and that lip sync was fantastic. She deserves every one of those twenty thousand dollars.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pan Dulce posted:

Had she not gone for BRIGHT PINK skin, I think Blair may have been able to take Shea's spot at the top this week. I absolutely died laughing at her lines in the song and her outfit was cool, sans the color, which didn't fit the brief for some.

Yeah I thought Blair kicked rear end this week too. I also thought it was funny that her lines refer to "beefing up" for Lecter because girl that is the one thing you are definitely not doing.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

e: sidenote Blair has been killing it. i loved her on her season and think she went home too early, but honestly with as much as she's grown I'm happy it was a bit of a wait before seeing her again. i would not be surprised at all if she made it to the top 4.

Yeah I always liked Blair too but saw her as not particularly well-rounded. Clearly she's put on some skills in the last few years, because she's kicking butt this time around. She's still young as hell, so I look forward to her winning All Stars 12 or something.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 15, 2020

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've already said so but I want Peppermint back as a lipsync assassin more than anyone else. Whoever was in the top that week would probably just yell "WELL gently caress" and walk off the stage when she was revealed though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe "LOOK OVER THERE!" with it flipped so she's pointing at your posts?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I think Alexis is just trying to get Cracker to get so far into her own head that she can't perform, and I think she's been fairly successful at it. Given how season arcs typically go, I'm guessing they're either best friends or Cracker sends Alexis home by the end of the season.

I thought the Golden Gals idea was great and the decor was pretty good, but the sales pitch was half-assed. I didn't think the jungle theme or the golden theme were particularly imaginative, but at least they did a decent job of selling their ideas and managed to fit some jokes in.

No goddamn way Shea deserved to be in the bottom.

Juju forgot the lyrics and started doing the ventriloquist dummy chin drop at least two separate times during the lip sync. That is just not okay under any circumstances, but particularly with a Lizzo song for god's sake.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

On the one hand I love that you have introduced me to these videos and on the other hand I'm deeply upset that there are only five of them.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

gandlethorpe posted:

Lol yeah, a couple weeks ago she was really mad that some toast restaurant wouldn't let her in because her temperature was high

https://twitter.com/aquariaofficial/status/1276615553105485829

Love her

You know, it's part of a decent number of performers' drag personas to pretend to be less smart than they are. I'm really glad to see that Gia is keeping it real by being 100% authentically dumb as hell.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Speaking of commenting before its over. Why the hell wouldn't you just confess that you voted Shea because they're strong and you saw it as your chance to get rid of the competition instead of coming up with some crap about how they went with the judges comments and how you felt they didn't put the work in? It just adds to my dislike of Alexis.

I had the same thought, for the Nth time in Drag Race history. My best guess is that there's a good chance they did say something of the sort and it was edited out because it didn't create enough drama.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cracker's lip sync wasn't great when she was on her own but the interaction between the two was a lot of fun. I honestly might have picked Blair as the winner this week; she did all right in the challenge and her runway look was my favorite by a mile.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly a bit baffled by the love that Alexis gets. I don't think her drag is all that special and she seems like an rear end in a top hat.

Not trying to talk anyone out of liking her, just saying that I fundamentally don't get the appeal.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 28, 2020

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

juju should just be in every season tbh

Totally on board with this.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
After talking poo poo about Alexis last week she goes and turns in a great snatch game, dang. Still, Shea and Juju put out all time great performances, I only wish they could have both won.

I'm wondering if they're holding footage for the end of season rehash that establishes who's full of poo poo here.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Read After Burning posted:

I think some folks are assuming that, by choosing India's lipstick, Shea is confirming that she believes Alexis over India. But I don't think that's necessarily true! After all, Shea doesn't know who is lying, but she DOES know for a fact that India has been in the bottom all those times, so I would think she would pick India even if this conspiracy hadn't been brought up.

Yeah I thought this too - even if she believe India there's no question that India should go home based on performance.

e: And I absolutely agree that Blair has stepped her game up to a huge extent. I don't think she's done well enough in the challenges to win the crown, but every one of her runways has been excellent.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 5, 2020

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Finally watched DRCan and god drat that was the best first episode of a season in a while. I do hope Kyne gets the boot soon though. She turned out an all right look but the attitude is just ugh.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So many good queens on Drag Race Canada but I'm Team Jimbo all the way. Absolute loving maniac.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

Queen Lemon tho! 😍😍

Oh yeah! I was super surprised by Lemon in this episode. Just thought she was sort of okay in the first ep but this time out she really did well in the challenge and I loved her runway.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I actually really liked Cracker's runway look, and thought Shea's looked a bit unfinished. Too many strappy things going in too many directions, and the chaps didn't seem very form-fitting around the top. I thought Cracker's outfit for the challenge was boring as hell though, and am honestly a bit surprised she won with it. I reckon it was mostly on the strength of the character, though.

I liked Blair's runway makeup and hair, but that dress was...yeesh. It looked like she wrapped a couple of different curtains around herself and called it a day.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 11, 2020

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Raccoonboy posted:

shea/juju double win please

For some reason this had my mind wander to the fantasy of Vanjie, Shea, and Juju forming celebrity throuple VaJayJay.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

just from promo media and the entrances I really underestimated jimbo, I thought she'd be good for some flavour and quirk but she's a powerful contender with a lot going on and every time she's not on screen I'm always asking "wheres jimbo"

Extremely :same:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

if australias drag race doesn't feature a Melbourne Cup challenge where you have to make your high fashion runway from a bunch of poo poo they pull out of wheelie bins I'm going to be ropeable

Oh hell yes, I do love an idiotic fascinator.

BTW I figured out why Scarlett BoBo seemed so familiar; she reminds me of one of my favorite drag queens from OKC, Carmen Deveraux. I mean I'm generally terrible with faces but...

I'm not imagining it, right?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I thought Cracker killed it this week and absolutely deserved the win. As for overall favorites, it's really hard to decide. There are different aspects of all of them that I absolutely love. I think Shea is the most all around polished, though, and will likely take the crown. I'd be pretty happy with that outcome, but not too mad if it were either of the other two.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was curious how old Juju was so I looked her up on wikipedia and...

quote:

Jujubee (sometimes stylized as jUjUBee) is the stage name of Airline Inthyrath (born June 21, 1984)

Good lord what an odd name. I had no idea.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

its funny we're all taking a moment for this now bc iirc it was a comedy challenge in season 2 where we found this out wasn't it?

Oh really? I've watched every season so I must have just forgotten.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

Ross sabotaged Juju by not understanding the very simple sleep paralysis joke.

Yeah that was a legit funny joke and it just went completely over his head.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

Jujube is great and I wish she wins and I know the narrative is that Shea got robbed of her win or whatever in the finale but Juju has literally made it to the very end twice but production ain't talking about that

Absolutely agree. I adore Shea but honestly her narrative on that front doesn't really seem like the tearjerker she wants it to be. She got to the top two in the biggest competition in her chosen field and lost to an iconic performance, and still got a fantastic career out of it. I'm sure it really sucked not to win, but there are a whole lot of queens who didn't make it that far and I reckon they're probably rolling their eyes a bit. Not to mention that Anastarzia's actually tragic backstory in DRCAN provides a bit of a contrast...loving hell.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

To be fair to Shea, not only did she lose her crown but didn't she lose her father and sister right around the same time, as well? It was a tough year for her.

Yeah that's absolutely true, but they've focused so much on her losing to Sasha and so little on that that it's just weird.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Shea deserved the win but I would have been happy with any of them. I'm one of the people who love Cracker but even I have to say that that lip sync outfit was garbage compared to the other two. I get that there was supposed to be a gimmick that failed, but even if it had succeeded it wouldn't have justified wearing a goddamn leotard and tights for the final lipsync on motherfucking All Stars.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 26, 2020

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Little Death posted:

Also yeah Priyanka's look was ehh. Honestly team paper I liked better than team metal, even if the knight outfits were a little high school drama class.

Yeah I thought team paper actually did okay. I can't argue with the critique that it seemed more costumey then couture, but I thought it was cute and reasonably well done for what it was.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Little Death posted:

One thing I hate about the costume versus couture thing though it it can seem arbitrary. Jimbo looked great but it was unquestionably a costume. It was a queen from a fairytale. It was certainly much more elaborate than Tynomi or Ilona, but not less costumey. There are ways they could have embellished those knight looks, but that's different than Brooke Lynn's critique of the concept, which I don't think was very fair.

Yeah I can't really argue with that, it's definitely inconsistent.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Being a PhD candidate can mean as little as "memorized a bunch of stuff and sat a written exam" or as much as "has already gotten partway through research that will make a significant contribution to the field". It varies by discipline, university, department, and supervisor. That being the case in some fields, and in some universities, it's possible for a complete idiot to be advanced to candidacy or even go all the way through and be Dr. Dumbass.

source: I am Dr. Dumbass and there are people my (actually pretty good) university let through that were :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MizuZero posted:

I screamed when she told bobo-as-liza “your mom and I invented snatch game. you miss your mother? then smell my fingers!”

We had to pause for a couple of minutes to hyperventilate after that line.

My faves right now are Jimbo, Lemon, Rita, and Priyanka (despite this week). If I had to pick a winner I'd be Jimbo all the way though.

e: Also is it just my screen or is DR Canada colored weird? Everyone who isn’t lily white looks orange on my screen.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 1, 2020