Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I'm very nearly a week late to watching the premiere due to a chain of reasons but let me just say I'm in love with Crystal's Freddie gown

Also that was a fantastic premiere, goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

As an ambiguous-looking Asian, Sakura's "am I really Japanese? Who knows! Is it cultural appropriation? We'll find out." tickles me in a way I can't quite put my finger on :allears:

I'm kinda here for Ru's weekly Ugly Hat Roulette

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Episode 1 was incredible, 2 was pretty good, 3 was just kinda bad. But it seems like even if this show goes on for another twelve seasons we still won't get one good scripted acting challenge, (because let's be real that was more scripted than improv) so I guess it shouldn't have been a surprise.

Heidi or Jackie should've won. I don't know how Sherry even particularly stood out when her team's performance was just one big unfunny note (and seriously which part of that could even be called improv??). That said, I'm forced to admit that I thought Sherry's look was good.

Can Nicki just coast until like the halfway point though? I don't care I just want to see more of her runways. Her look tonight was just :discourse:

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 15, 2020

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

esperterra posted:

This maxi challenge is terrible, but this Weekend at Bernie's schtick is actually pretty good ngl

It's also the only premise of the four that actually lends itself to comedy

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

:allears: Still brings me joy watching it again

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Loved the ep. Hated the results. Jaida shoulda won and Aiden shoulda lipsynced and gone home what the asssssss

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Yeah the skit was surprisingly decent. Might have helped that they did a compilation of vignettes instead of trying to create a plot (and failing horribly)

I actually liked Aiden's look this week. Meanwhile Brita just looked like a mess.

Each time they give Sherry Pie a win I die a little inside.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Sherry's also won three of five episodes so far which is kinda weird since they usually stagger the wins between the queens. Like, they could easily have given the win to Widow, who IMO did better anyway.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I'd have liked for the wins to be spread out a bit more but I can't deny that Gigi deserved it. Jackie did good too, but Gigi just killed me. I wasn't really sure on Gigi at first, but she's clearly the total package.

Musical challenge next? I hope it's finally Jan's time to shine.

Imagine paying the royalty for Let It Go and wasting it on these two.

esperterra posted:

e: is it just me, or did they straight up cut Sherry out of the runway this week? I feel bad for the designer who made 90% of her stuff.

I do hope that means she either made this outfit herself or she just got it off the rack or something. I imagine Drag Race is as much a career booster for the designers as well.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

This is the first week her runway just straight up got cut, yeah. But in one of her past runways she said something along the lines of "this dress was custom-designed" (I think it was the tulle one), so that's why I think (and hope) they're still gonna show her outfits that someone else designed for her to wear on the show, for the designers' sake.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Holy poo poo(e)

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Improv truly isn't this season's strong suit, though Jaida definitely did the best of the bunch.

I liked Jackie's lipsync! The start was a bit too cute for me but as the song goes she just keeps hitting the beats and it was great to watch.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

Jaida showed a lot of personality in her commercial, which I felt was missing up until now to put her in that top 4 tier. I don't always find her runways the best, but they're always great and she does it all herself. I especially love her conceptual designs, like the bubble bath look and her champagne dress (google it). Fun fact, she is the only one left who hasn't been in the bottom 3.

I kinda want Heidi to not win so we can get her in All Stars, Monique style. She's got Miss C written all over her, though, so her bank account can be $5000.33 + whatever gift card they win nowadays. Either way, she's coming out of this a beloved fan favorite, and I could not be happier. When I first watched her MtQ, I fell in love immediately.

So the queens with multiple wins are probably locks for top 4, which leaves one spot open. Could it be underdog Heidi or one of the two queens who haven't won?

Given Sherry's disqualification chances are the 5th place queen is gonna take her place in the finale, so the question is more, which between Heidi, Crystal, and Jackie isn't making it to the finale.

My money is on Gigi/Jaida/Heidi/Jackie top 4.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

My guess is it's gonna be a Heidi vs Crystal bottom two with Crystal going home

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Frankly Jackie's Canada schtick was pretty okay. It was something that the producers could spin either way, but this week they wanted to put her in the bottom, so. Like, Jeff Goldblum asking Jackie to "not mention Canada for once" was such an obvious setup for her schtick, and Jackie hit the ball that was thrown to her, but then she got criticized for it.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 26, 2020

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Jaida kiiiiiilled that lipsync

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Alexis Michelle

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

#TeamJaida

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I don't actually bother to watch the penultimate episodes in its entirety anymore. As said earlier they're all just formalities and you could always tell who's going home before the episode started.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Crystal holy poo poo i'm in love

The right queen won :toot:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

That was... an okay premiere. I liked Alexis's performance the most out of all of them but tbh there was no real standout for me, although I also love Mariah's nerve for going with that.

That song was so tailor-picked for Yvie though lol

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Eej posted:

If Yvie is the first Lipsync Assassin they picked I have no idea how any of these queens are going to win against that level of competition. Aside from the inevitable rigged competition for Shea to go up against Sasha you got Alyssa, Brooklynn, Kameron, Pepmint, Bendela, Manila...

Based on past performance Alexis and Jujubee can probably hold their own, but I'm really not sure about the rest

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Lowkey wishing Kandy Ho would be an Assassin

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Also I suppose we're gonna get alternating bottom 2 and bottom 3 to prevent a tie situation? But that doesn't work when we're at 7 queens

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Holy motherfucking poo poo :eyepop:

I wasn't feeling this season too much and wasn't sure if I want to keep watching, but this may have singlehandedly changed my mind :worship:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Yeah the format sounds great on paper but in practice we're gonna have lots of producer tampering. Ofc on the other hand without some degree of handicap the odds are extremely in the assassins' favor - by and large this crop doesn't have a reputation as lipsync assassins, plus the assassins had had time to prepare themselves ahead of time while the queens only knew for sure they're gonna be lipsyncing like, a few hours beforehand. So if it's total fair play we're barely gonna see anyone win the lipsync.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I actually would love to see Kandy lmao. Maybe she didn't give much for the producers to work with but if LSFYLs are totally fair she probably would've lipsynced her way to the end. These lipsync assassins are also meant as fanservice though so probably not

I'd love to see Trinity too, but I think she already said she's not invited on a youtube interview with TS Madison, iirc

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Yeah US doesn't get Drag Race on their subscription service. Not sure about Drag Race Canada. They have a big list of DR country availability accessible from their front page.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

some romper ruckery judging going on in DRCAN's first ep

how did the alexis michelle revealTM outfit win a design challenge and the two actual good dresses (anastasia and kiara) not even make top 3

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

esperterra posted:

This may be an unpopular opinion b/c of Roxxxy being the villain that year, but I think Jinkx/Roxxxy/Alaska was a ridiculously strong top 3. They were all loving excellent at their brand of drag and continue to be some of the best queens to this day.

Hell add in Detox and that top 4 was loving phenomenal as well.

Season 5 is so loving good.

Season 5 was also the peak of LSFYLs. Alyssa, Coco, and Detox lipsynced three times and crushed them all, Jinkx obviously gave a killer one vs Detox, and even Lineysha, Jade, and Monica really held their own. (We don't talk about Honey vs Vivienne, but maybe it's the universe's way of maintaining balance.) I don't think any other season's lipsyncs have been as consistently high-quality as what S5 gave us episode after episode.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

esperterra posted:

Roxxxy's wig reveal alone will sustain me til the day I die, not to mention every other lip sync that season.

gently caress how did I forget to mention Roxxxy

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

i feel personally attacked by this opinion

Truth hurts

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

garthoneeye posted:

Fart jokes are funny when Ru/the skit writers make them, if contestants make them on their own that’s when they are the nadir of comedy.

well yeah only you can like the smell of your own farts

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Yeah I guess this is shade but that list looks like they're reaching into the deep recesses of their backup options. Maybe due to the current situation.

Yara I totally get, it's really early for Jan but she's always destined for All Stars. Pandora, I guess? IDK about Ginger though since AS2 doesn't exactly need "redemption". (and personally I'm not an A'keria fan after the whole debacle with Plastique, but sure, she's top 4 I guess) As for the rest, they're not exactly "Good at Drag Race". I know the challenges aren't necessarily the point but it's not so fun either watching a majority of the supposed "all stars" cast stumble their way through the main challenges, which we've been getting more and more with the recent AS seasons.

I'm totally down for more TKB lipsyncs though

e: Oh, the 12th queen is rumored to be Silky? hmm

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 13, 2020

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I'm fine with them bringing back queens from AS1 since, well, it might as well not have existed. But yeah I don't think Ginger really needs to be back.

They seem to be going through the AS1 queens one by one, though. Maybe we'll get Mimi, Shannel, and Tammie (:allears:) on some future AS seasons (though I think Tammie has said she's not coming back again? so did Dela, though)

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 15, 2020

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

lmao season 13 hasn't aired or even been announced but they're already putting out a casting call for season 14

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I find it interesting that we're not seeing Rupaul herself in any of the teasers/trailers so far

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Yeah my standout from 12's MTQ was Brita so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Monet boutta sue Kandy's rear end