Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

For me it is the Blob Person. This doesn't mean fat. It means more like their personality and their whole persona is this similar to that of a gray, amorphous goo. I don't think Blob Persona can be cured. I see people young and old with this. They are mostly shut out from the rest of the world, like to wear headphones, avoid eye contact, show up to work, and go home to watch TV or Internet. They don't have anything to say. This is different than just a quiet, shy person, who may have a rich, inner life. Blob people just consume, maybe work with spreadsheets or fill drink orders, and eventually die. They just take up space. Their very existence seems to be strained, like they are uncomfortable being alive, and take no real joy in anything. This is different than just being a depressed person, who is just sick, and have things to offer other people if they rise out of their illness. A Blob Person is just alive, but barely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

bromplicated posted:

For me it is the Blob Person. This doesn't mean fat. It means more like their personality and their whole persona is this similar to that of a gray, amorphous goo. I don't think Blob Persona can be cured. I see people young and old with this. They are mostly shut out from the rest of the world, like to wear headphones, avoid eye contact, show up to work, and go home to watch TV or Internet. They don't have anything to say. This is different than just a quiet, shy person, who may have a rich, inner life. Blob people just consume, maybe work with spreadsheets or fill drink orders, and eventually die. They just take up space. Their very existence seems to be strained, like they are uncomfortable being alive, and take no real joy in anything. This is different than just being a depressed person, who is just sick, and have things to offer other people if they rise out of their illness. A Blob Person is just alive, but barely.

How do you ascertain the lack of an inner life? Or is this a classic case of a monitor without power?

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Icochet posted:

How do you ascertain the lack of an inner life? Or is this a classic case of a monitor without power?

I suppose it would be someone who has no desires or aspirations other than just to exist and consume things. Someone who doesn't want to connect, doesn't want to create, doesn't want to be bothered with anything outside their short-term pleasures. Someone who is utterly unremarkable, knows it, and just wants to be left alone.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I had this exact conversation with a friend yesterday (re: blob people).

I've been in a pretty hard spot the last few months, and what I was talking about with my pal was that there seemed to be this scary thing - this pull into that life. It's so easy if you're trapped out in the suburb-ish area where nothing happens, all the jobs are entry level or call centers, and it's just very hard to escape.

The world can do a very good job of carefully designing itself to pull people in to feed it that way,and then have them stay there. I've escaped all of this before, moved to San Francisco before it became a tech haven, and lived with beautiful artists and performed in plays and bands and was just creative. That drive has been dead to me the past few months and I don't want that to happen!

I guess the point is I can see how easy can be for the machine to pull in blob people to feed it and keep them there, and that's quiet and scary.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How do you first recognize a person is a blob? As a television watching headphone wearer who turns up to work I'm kinda worried

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

upgunned shitpost posted:

oil and gas sector employees. bosses too, but that's always a given.

I live in a town dominated by these fucks and they are, to a man, loving clowns.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Icochet posted:

How do you first recognize a person is a blob? As a television watching headphone wearer who turns up to work I'm kinda worried

I mean, I'm enjoying music, learning through Podcasts or just blocking out banal conversation if I have headphones in but that makes me a <checks notes> blob person, I think.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

bromplicated posted:

Is this a personal attack on me?

bromplicated posted:

I suppose it would be someone who has no desires or aspirations other than just to exist and consume things.
Ah, good, I have no desire to exist, so you can't be talking about me.

Now back to watching YouTube and eating frozen pizza.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Icochet posted:

You are not a special passionate artiste so you are a blob. Good day sir!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
loving neo-hippies. The planet is dying irreversibly, but there they are in Baja hoodies and dreadlocks posting Instagram stories about the sunrise and listening to Kyuss and Sleep. Their toothless, practiced sincerity in the face of unprecedented crisis means they should be first up against the wall. Keep saying we just need to listen to nature and talk to each other, see what that does for late capitalism induced chemical imbalances and fascism.

They're worse than normies or blob people or whatever, because at least they don't lie to themselves about the harm they're doing. Also they share far too much lovely street art with people with mobile phones for heads or people injecting Facebook likes intravenously or whatever.

Edit: your lovely drum sounds annoying

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 28, 2020

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Disco Pope posted:

loving neo-hippies. The planet is dying irreversibly, but there they are in Baja hoodies and dreadlocks posting Instagram stories about the sunrise and listening to Kyuss and Sleep. Their toothless, practiced sincerity in the face of unprecedented crisis means they should be first up against the wall. Keep saying we just need to listen to nature and talk to each other, see what that does for late capitalism induced chemical imbalances and fascism.

They're worse than normies or blob people or whatever, because at least they don't lie to themselves about the harm they're doing. Also they share far too much lovely street art with people with mobile phones for heads or people injecting Facebook likes intravenously or whatever.

Edit: your lovely drum sounds annoying

Haha. Get hosed.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I personally don't take too kindly to Italian people.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Anyone different than me in any way

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

bromplicated posted:

Some folks just wanna be the NPC.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The type of modern Nazi's that are like "But I didn't SAY that I'm a NAZI, so your are SO :wrong: and SICK for calling ME a NAZI" as they talk about how white, vaguely Christian men are superior and everyone else should mysteriously go somewhere else.

So Nazis

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Floodixor posted:

I had this exact conversation with a friend yesterday (re: blob people).

The world can do a very good job of carefully designing itself to pull people in to feed it that way,and then have them stay there. I've escaped all of this before, moved to San Francisco before it became a tech haven, and lived with beautiful artists and performed in plays and bands and was just creative. That drive has been dead to me the past few months and I don't want that to happen!

I think that's it. People who are just comfortable being comfortable and will never change, unless it happens to them. I don't mean you have to be a creative artist passionate-type person, who are probably just as insufferable in their own way, and maybe another Worst Type of Person to talk about.

It's basically just a tendency of entropy to just be a shapeless mass that only seeks the next food and pleasure source instead of just being a person.

Speaking of San Francisco, the blob people I lived, worked with and am thinking of were from there. I think it's a classification of Worst Person outside of economic or education level.

Icochet posted:

Do you interact with anyone outside of like a transaction or work related task? Blob people just shift their weight around in space purely based on photostimulation and only make sounds with their blob-faces when they're absolutely forced to. I think the very fact you're worried about it means you aren't a blob. Blobs don't really have many feelings besides veiled disdain for other people, and any thoughts besides when they can next eat food and consume entertainment thing.

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010
Today's worst person is the one who decided to order a string of child sized trolleys for the supermarket I use. The usual stress of aisle blocking chatterers, drifting trolley draggers and suddenly-forgot-where-I-am-and-what-a-shop-is gawping statues is only enhanced by the mellifluous sounds of parents screaming at children to stop running away and small children screaming because they aren't allowed to put whatever they want in 'their' trolley and are too young to understand why. No one at all is benefitting from this idea.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

bromplicated posted:

I think that's it. People who are just comfortable being comfortable and will never change, unless it happens to them. I don't mean you have to be a creative artist passionate-type person, who are probably just as insufferable in their own way, and maybe another Worst Type of Person to talk about.

Oh for sure. I know the type of person you're talking about. They might have crystals at their house for healing, or maybe are so preposterously dedicated to their craft that they're constantly a megaphone and don't have any room to take in any other opinions.

bromplicated posted:

Do you interact with anyone outside of like a transaction or work related task? Blob people just shift their weight around in space purely based on photostimulation and only make sounds with their blob-faces when they're absolutely forced to. I think the very fact you're worried about it means you aren't a blob. Blobs don't really have many feelings besides veiled disdain for other people, and any thoughts besides when they can next eat food and consume entertainment thing.

See, that's big part of it. Because of my background, I also work a lot with guys in recovery. So when I'm not at work, I'm with groups of people that are struggling as well but in various ways. Things like fresh out of jail, getting off of probation, quitting meth, and so on. It's a very distinct group and I do believe that it does help me in a very human way, as I'm in recovery as well.

But beyond that, no, I don't think I'm doing a very good job of reaching out to closer friends and being around people that nurture the more personal any important sides to me, or at least things that I consider valuable. That's definitely creativity, "the arts", etc. I think I need to make more of an effort to exist outside of my job and my home (the blob), which are my main locations every single day. I don't have a car anymore, and I'm not trying to shift the blame, but it does absolutely affect my ability to reach, physically, those people outside of the blob.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

People who go to dive bars without knowing how to act in dive bars.

I get it, we can't all be superstars who live in these places like I do, but learn to read a room. You and your two friends do not need to put Thriller and the two Biggie songs you know on the jukebox and ironically grind on each other. You do not need a round of lemon drops, you don't need to ask if there's a comment card to fill out so you can inform the owner that the bathroom is gross, and nobody anywhere needs you to get all offended when the people who actually hang out in the place you're being a tourist in don't want to participate in your annoying night with you. Get a boilermaker and do a crossword like a real person or go away.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to think these blob people are actually rad as hell loose cannon rebel mavericks who play by their own rules and get labeled "blobs" by The Man only because they don't bring their embroidery to work

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

People or entities that don't put the books back in the right order in the Akashic records

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

bromplicated posted:

Those fuckers creep me out the worst. I've taken the time to learn a little bit about a lot of stuff, I've learned how to hold up my end of a conversation in most circumstances. I put my time in, it was a lot of work, but I'm happy to be here and be good with people now. I've made a lot of interesting friends from different backgrounds, and it's all just through being curious and a little funny.

The blobs are embracing the antipodal path. Instead of learning lots of stuff or getting good stories and trying to figure out how to be socially versatile, they'll talk about the two things they like, and completely run out of ideas when the other person doesn't have anything to say about whether the new superhero movie was good or if the phone they just purchased is a good phone. Then that guy's stuck because he just blew through his tight one minute of material, and I'm pretty sure nothing I have to say is going to interest him because apparently nothing does, so now I'm stuck, and it's just uncomfortable. I can talk to just about anyone that's done anything, but I can't talk to someone who hasn't.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
tl;dr: introverts and extroverts hate each other

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Grevling posted:

I personally don't take too kindly to Italian people.

Mama Mia, I'm-a being a discriminated against!

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Chomp8645 posted:

Mama Mia, I'm-a being a discriminated against!

I'm sorry! I didn't know you people could use a computer...

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

The blessed images thread is that way...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Grevling posted:

I'm sorry! I didn't know you people could use a computer...

Ciao Ciao! I am a using a the internet!

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

People who go to work sick, coughing and wheezing on everything. Some sympathy because in the US most people that do so don't have a choice but they're still lovely people for bringing that poo poo into the workplace with them.

Colonel Cancer posted:

People who gatekeep hobbies/subcultures. Yeah I'm wearing a band t-shirt because I liked one of their albums, no I don't know individual biography of every member, I don't stalk them and quite frankly I don't give a flying gently caress about who they are or what they do if I like the sounds that they make, alright?!?

I legit stopped wearing band shirts because I was tired of getting grilled whenever a super fan saw someone else wearing their favorite band's shirt in public.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
hypocritical zealots, definitely

frogge posted:

People who go to work sick, coughing and wheezing on everything. Some sympathy because in the US most people that do so don't have a choice but they're still lovely people for bringing that poo poo into the workplace with them.

Oh yeah lemme just lose my job and end up homeless cause you're uncomfortable with me being forced to work even though I'm sick :fuckoff:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Literally A Person posted:

Literally the Worst type of Person

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

*twirls mustache ends menacingly*

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

I will not stand for this slandering of LAP I will sit I’m very lazy

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I not only dog ear the books while I'm reading I also cut the ear off with a scalpel to let the future generations know I was there.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Nurge posted:

I not only dog ear the books while I'm reading I also cut the ear off with a scalpel to let the future generations know I was there.

i just write comments in the borders and underline certain words and phrases that impressed me when i was reading. if you see that i've underlined a word or phrase multiple times, that means i was quite impressed

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Schweinhund posted:

tl;dr: introverts and extroverts hate each other

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

hockey jockey posted:

Today's worst person is the one who decided to order a string of child sized trolleys for the supermarket I use. The usual stress of aisle blocking chatterers, drifting trolley draggers and suddenly-forgot-where-I-am-and-what-a-shop-is gawping statues is only enhanced by the mellifluous sounds of parents screaming at children to stop running away and small children screaming because they aren't allowed to put whatever they want in 'their' trolley and are too young to understand why. No one at all is benefitting from this idea.

The supermarket makes a small but significant profit from the poo poo kids throw in the trolleys where their parents can't be bothered with the tantrum that would ensue if they put it all back again. The child-sized trolleys are for the supermarket's benefit, not yours.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pitdragon posted:

i just write comments in the borders and underline certain words and phrases that impressed me when i was reading. if you see that i've underlined a word or phrase multiple times, that means i was quite impressed

I actually really like 19th century books where some long-dead person has added a bunch of underlining and annotations to something I've bought in a 2nd hand bookshop. Even better if they've carefully written in copperplate handwriting their name and the year they bought the book on the inside cover.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Pistol_Pete posted:

I actually really like 19th century books where some long-dead person has added a bunch of underlining and annotations to something I've bought in a 2nd hand bookshop. Even better if they've carefully written in copperplate handwriting their name and the year they bought the book on the inside cover.

The little annotations are always great to get a little more insight into what they were thinking. Bonus points for chicken grease stains on the old documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Pitdragon posted:

hypocritical zealots, definitely

Oh yeah lemme just lose my job and end up homeless cause you're uncomfortable with me being forced to work even though I'm sick :fuckoff:

I get it the system is broken and people have to make bad decisions to stay afloat, but it doesn't mean I'm cool taking it for the team by catching every cold and flu that's going around either.