Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Based on a line of action figures, Masters of the Universe was pretty much just like Star Wars except it was better, because they didn't go into space (I mean, who needs that) and the main character, He-Man, had the qualities Luke Skywalker sorely lacked: a bodybuilder's physique that was on display at all times because he was pretty much naked throughout the entire movie, and also a really thick European accent!

It also featured a fish-out-of-water time travel plot that was all the rage in the early/late 80s (in this case we got to see a young Courtney Cox and Lt. Paris from Star Trek Voyager as 80s teens), so there's that!

In all seriousness, though, the reason to see this is Frank Langella pulling out all the stops as archvillain Skeletor, in what is legit one of the all-time greatest "pulp sci-fi/ fantasy action tyrannical villain" turns ever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

finally a thread about frank langellas jack kirbys fourth world

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

attn pick

plz explain a “ship” perspective of this interaction

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Squizzle posted:

attn pick

Intercourse (sexual).

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

If you become an evil sorcerer demi-god thing like Skeletor, or hell, even any of the main characters, really, where do you suppose you go for fancy helmets or your signature weaponry and such?
Is there a forgers guild out there? Do you have to be in a union for them to work for you?
Do you just walk in and say "Yes, I need a size 13 1/2 gilded doom helmet with nine horns and an all seeing gem", or "I need a comically large bronze hammer that casts lightning from it and a chainmail loin cloth"? Who pays for this and how?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
this exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtrke6IqUf0

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 25, 2020

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Can't argue with that, it definitely exists!

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Keeping in tune with the subforum topic, let us recount some of the ways Masters of the Universe is like Star Wars only bigger, more shameless and infinitely more desperate!

Our holograms are as big as Godzilla! Your holograms ain't poo poo, you hear me? It ain't poo poo!

Skeletor not only zaps you with electricity from his fingers, he can vaporize you with it! Also his electric bolts are purple because this is like, pimp electricity.

Darth Vader is relegated to mere storm trooper status in Masters of the Universe.

Unlike some sci-fi action heroes, He-Man doesn't need things like vehicle controls, cockpits, seats, handlebars, nada!

I see your laser sword and raise you a laser WHIP!

But if you really must have a glowing sword we've got you covered, too.

The Han & Leia stand-ins are a father-daughter team so you don't have to worry about them being all lame like "I love you," "I know" etc.

Even our pint-sized "adorable" creature comic relief characters are more obnoxious:

Finally, Masters of the Universe knows how to fall down a throne room's (in-?)conveniently placed bottomless pit with much more style and grace.

I rest my case.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i was obsessed with gold skeletor as a child, still am in fact

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Squizzle posted:

attn pick

Watching Masters of the Universe these days from a certain point of view is definitely eyebrow-raising. The whole movie Skeletor is just obsessed with getting his hands on He-man. "I want He-man! I must have him!", etc. Poor Evil-Lyn spends most of the movie dutifully serving Skeletor and trying to impress him but all Skeletor seems to care about his that naked muscular beefcake.

IMDB posted:

Meg Foster said that she based her character on Shakespeare's Lady Macbeth. In the beginning of the film, she is a pantomime villainess but obviously deeply in love with Skeletor. As the storyline progresses, she gradually comes to realise that he does not truly care for her. In the end, she abandons him to his fate, her withdrawal of her forces leads to his eventual defeat. In Foster's opinion, the character progresses from evildoer to scorned woman to tragic heroine.

Sounds like Evil-Lyn finally realizes she's barking up the wrong tree at the end...

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Well whadya know! Just so happens this thread is actually pretty darned relevant:

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1228459516976459776

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

he is definitely evil hth