Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
As an European myself I don't know what this accent is. It's a kind of melodic and loud and it goes UP in the end of every sentence. The last word increase like one octave.

It's also usual to use "So" in the beginning of a sentence when you're explaining something. Example:
"What do you think of X and Y"
"(Pause) so, Z" like you're in the middle of a sentence.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It's mildly annoying but as European it's weird to hear another European use it when talking to another English speaking person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
i see

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
European is not British.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

its almost like accents are transient and evolutionary, or something

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
are u talking about Trump OP?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I live in Wisconsin.
We have multiple accents within our own STATE.
There's 49 more states to go.

How are we picking this one 'American' accent you've come across?

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Chinatown posted:

are u talking about Trump OP?

There are a lot of um and yeah and I think, so yes. I'm talking about trump.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
So, cattle and the letter R and guns.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead
It's valley girl op

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

serious norman posted:

As an European myself I don't know what this accent is. It's a kind of melodic and loud and it goes UP in the end of every sentence. The last word increase like one octave.

It's also usual to use "So" in the beginning of a sentence when you're explaining something. Example:
"What do you think of X and Y"
"(Pause) so, Z" like you're in the middle of a sentence.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It's mildly annoying but as European it's weird to hear another European use it when talking to another English speaking person.

I always thought it was because they learned american from and american language progamme instead of english. My cousins from indonesia have the same weird american accent.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
It's like they're imitating someone really stupid but they talk about regular stuff.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Big Beef City posted:

I live in Wisconsin.

u mean wisCANSEN

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

BrassRoots posted:

I always thought it was because they learned american from and american language progamme instead of english. My cousins from indonesia have the same weird american accent.

Might be this :cawg:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

20 Blunts posted:

u mean wisCANSEN

that sure is what people from outside the state seem to like calling it, yea. Maybe the op can work that into their project.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Big Beef City posted:

that sure is what people from outside the state seem to like calling it, yea. Maybe the op can work that into their project.

no, i take calls from the general public in the greater Milwaukee area all day -- like, that was how Scott Walker pronounced it

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i got my british friend to do a west coast/canadian accent and its pretty funny he puts a lot of emphasis on the Rs

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

I live in Wisconsin.

Wisconsin is famous for two things, cuisine and linguistic diversity

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

20 Blunts posted:

no, i take calls from the general public in the greater Milwaukee area all day -- like, that was how Scott Walker pronounced it

Walker was born and raised in CO and IA.
But, I'll digress.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm not sure if this is what talking about but most of the northern europeans i've known/heard in media tend to talk with a pretty american sounding accent which doesn't happen with most other european countries, at least it isn't as completely ubiquitous. i'm talking about swedes, norwegians, dutch etc. i figure it's because whatever their accent sounds like in their own language, the transmutation of that into english just slips a lot easier into an american accent than polish for example and since america still dominates the world media, indulging in that is appealing.

although i've heard some romanians sound pretty american, i've heard others sound mega romanian, so i figured that was a kind of class/american copy type thing going on there. germans sound german, french sound french, italians sound italian. there are definitely some people from every country i've known who sound more american, but they tend to be outliers or went to an international school.

i don't know what you mean with the going up at the end of sentences though. the only accent i know which really does that noticeably is australian. it's like the defining feature of an australian accent, everything sounds like a question.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Southern Californian (ie 'Valley Girl') accents definitely do the upswing at the end of sentences very strongly

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

large_gourd posted:

i'm not sure if this is what talking about but most of the northern europeans i've known/heard in media tend to talk with a pretty american sounding accent which doesn't happen with most other european countries, at least it isn't as completely ubiquitous. i'm talking about swedes, norwegians, dutch etc. i figure it's because whatever their accent sounds like in their own language, the transmutation of that into english just slips a lot easier into an american accent than polish for example and since america still dominates the world media, indulging in that is appealing.

although i've heard some romanians sound pretty american, i've heard others sound mega romanian, so i figured that was a kind of class/american copy type thing going on there. germans sound german, french sound french, italians sound italian. there are definitely some people from every country i've known who sound more american, but they tend to be outliers or went to an international school.

i don't know what you mean with the going up at the end of sentences though. the only accent i know which really does that noticeably is australian. it's like the defining feature of an australian accent, everything sounds like a question.

Yeah you might be on to something here. The accent I'm talking about I've only heard in my country (Sweden) but there is also a lot of exchange students from the Netherlands, Germany, and all over Europe that I've heard using this way of speaking.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Big Beef City posted:

Walker was born and raised in CO and IA.
But, I'll digress.

why are these people with stupid polish sounding last names calling me, claiming to be from franklin, sounding like that

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Beef City posted:

Southern Californian (ie 'Valley Girl') accents definitely do the upswing at the end of sentences very strongly

you got an example of this? cos i think i know what accent is and all i attach to it in my head is vocal fry, not the end of sentence lilt that australians have

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are you sure it's not just Americans talking in their normal weird accents?

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

mobby_6kl posted:

Are you sure it's not just Americans talking in their normal weird accents?

No I'm sure they're not American although I've heard Americans use this accent. I'll try to find it on YouTube.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Bah. I can't bother at the moment. It's like pewdiepie but more extreme and forced positive.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

serious norman posted:

Bah. I can't bother at the moment. It's like pewdiepie but more extreme and forced positive.

it sounds like you are describing a tone of voice and not an accent actually, op

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

serious norman posted:

yeah i was gonna mention pewdiepie as a reference in my post since everyone knows him. sounds like we're talking about the same kind of accent, then, and i already posted my theory on why it exists. the addition of extremely forced and positive is probably some kind of subculture you've got cooking over there in sweden though. every country has something like that, some really affected sounding accent that particular types/groups of people have. you can't really ask them what it's all about either cos i don't think they realise half the time and get offended, so i just roll with it.

i think the base accent you're talking about can probably be explained for the reasons i gave.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

20 Blunts posted:

why are these people with stupid polish sounding last names calling me

Hey. :mad:

Anyway, my point was more - people born/raised around Madison will sound different than those around Sheboygan than those up around Boulder Junction. That there's different accents within just ONE state let alone all of 'America'.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Beef City posted:

Anyway, my point was more - people born/raised around Madison will sound different than those around Sheboygan than those up around Boulder Junction. That there's different accents within just ONE state let alone all of 'America'.

yeah i think everyone who isn't totally ignorant of this stuff is aware of this but it's just something you need to put up with from foreigners. it's like in the UK where you have accents so different people can't actually loving understand each other, and that's true even just within england.

every country has a subset of accents, some subsets have more internal variety than others, but there's a core to it that they all relate to in some way and that's what they mean. like you wouldn't hear a texas or baltimore accent and think it was anything but an american accent, even though they are pretty different from the more common american accents you hear.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Howdy y'all yeehaw!!

That's the american accent as perceived by most europeans.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

large_gourd posted:

yeah i was gonna mention pewdiepie as a reference in my post since everyone knows him. sounds like we're talking about the same kind of accent, then, and i already posted my theory on why it exists. the addition of extremely forced and positive is probably some kind of subculture you've got cooking over there in sweden though. every country has something like that, some really affected sounding accent that particular types/groups of people have. you can't really ask them what it's all about either cos i don't think they realise half the time and get offended, so i just roll with it.

i think the base accent you're talking about can probably be explained for the reasons i gave.

I wrote a reply to this but wtf where it went.

This is spot on. It's basically this I'm after. I will try to find a clip later.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

serious norman posted:

Yeah you might be on to something here. The accent I'm talking about I've only heard in my country (Sweden) but there is also a lot of exchange students from the Netherlands, Germany, and all over Europe that I've heard using this way of speaking.

German-accented English doesn't sound anything like American.

The obvious explanation for alot of people in northern Europe sounding American has to be that we (I'm Norwegian) consume alot of American culture, when it comes to TV and movies probably much more than we do in our own language. I don't think I'm an exception when I say that I'm pretty sure that I didn't learn to speak English from school (that helped me learn some rules and to write it better) but I learnt it watching cartoons and movies as a kid.

I've always had a sort of American pronounciation to how I speak English, and it's 100% because of that. After having studied in Canada for a while, I got a pretty noticeable Canadian (Saskatchewan if it matters) accent as well, which kind of mixed with my Norwegian Eastern Norwegian intonation (where you go you kind of go up and down in tone all the time, making it a bit sing-songy), to the point where some people really noticed my accent but others said they thought I sounded like either a local or even someone from Newfoundland (I guess it kind of depends on how "accent-aware" whatever person I was talking to was).

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I don't like how you're supposed to pronounce vowels all short and pinched now.

I heard someone on the radio say her name was Abigail Adams and I was genuinely not sure for a second if she was saying Ebbigail Eddums

Lobotomy Bob
Jun 13, 2003

Scottish people doing American accents is my favorite part of Black Hawk Down.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Post a video with it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

You can't really judge other people doing American accents. Have you seen an american attempt to be british or australian? Unbelievable stuff. Even professional actors can't do it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Big Beef City posted:

English is my native language and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a Madison accent and a Sheboygan accent.

Norwegian is my third language, and Norway has trillions of accents, and I'm pretty sure the only distinctions I can make are "normal" and "weird".

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Caesar Saladin posted:

You can't really judge other people doing American accents. Have you seen an american attempt to be british or australian? Unbelievable stuff. Even professional actors can't do it.

It’s also really bad when British or Australian etc try anything other than generic vaguely southern accent. I like the Wes Anderson method of just have people do whatever accent they have in real life because who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

It’s also really bad when British or Australian etc try anything other than generic vaguely southern accent. I like the Wes Anderson method of just have people do whatever accent they have in real life because who cares.

I dunno, what about every single british and australian film actor ever? Hugh Jackman, Hugh Laurie, Margot Robbie, Russell Crowe, Daniel Day Lewis, Dominic West, Nicole Kidman, Tom Hardy, Ben Mendelson, I could honestly just keep going.