Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCat5fXRyyU

discuss, i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i like that they asked themselves what the jedi fear most and the answer is apparently aliens

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the knights of the round table vs vikings in the wild west :hmmyes:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I like the idea of the High Republic setting because hopefully it will encourage some creativity to have a clean break from the OT (except I guess they’re going to drag Yoda into it for at least one movie). I like the Claudia Gray and Charles Soule stuff I read so I’m interested that they’re involved with this project.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like the idea of space vikings but calling them the Nihil is maybe a bit on the nose.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I like the idea of space vikings but calling them the Nihil is maybe a bit on the nose.

I’m on board if they’re Darth Nihilus cultists and this is a stealth attempt to make the Old Republic canon

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

i'm interested to see how rehashing the Old Republic for a broader normie crowd works out for them financially. that "writers room" is some grim poo poo though. i give those people ~3 years before they've recanonized the entire EU piece by piece.

e: Texas Ranger Jedi is the least inspiring thing

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Weed wasn't mentioned a single time. Will not watch.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Annakin we offer you a seat and a pass of the blunt, but we do not offer you shrooms

looks like it could be good. I don’t know about any of the authors except Soule though

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 25, 2020

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Shouldn't it be set 420 years ago?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

quote:

At the center of it are the Nihil, who are the bad guys of the era. They look a little punk rock and a little Mad Max, but that’s by design. Apparently, those gas masks serve a purpose as they can reportedly use hyperspace in a way that we’ve never seen before.

They're getting high off hyperspace itself!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TBH though this could be interesting; the old canon Old Republic comics were a lot of fun, if a little repetitive (there's only so many ways you can do Jedi vs. Sith)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh is about all I can muster.

Regarding that cover art, why does a Twi'lek and whatever species Maul is (forgot) need a protective gas mask but no other skin protection? Like, neither one of those species needs those devices in any other environment they've been shown in elsewhere. If they need to just 'be hidden' just wear a drat scarf or something. It looks stupid.

I think others already touched on the "Texas Ranger Jedi sound basic as hell", "Oh good space Viking Alien invader threats" and stuff. Great.
They need to set this far enough back in time that it CAN'T affect the PT/OT/ST plots in any way because otherwise they're cornering themselves too much. Hell, set it 2000 years ago. Tell Darth Bane's story, or re-do it. From what I've read on Wookiepedia that seems like a pretty hardcore story line they could work pretty well around. poo poo, just do that or something like it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

They're getting high off hyperspace itself!

this owns

https://twitter.com/pascalblanche/status/1232320366967697409?s=21

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

What about it it?
The clips for guns/staffs that don't appear to be able to be loaded?
The inaccessable water bottles on his shoulder?
The dog leash clips at his knees that if he clipped anything to would make walking impossible?
The useless chains on her tube top for some reason?
Gas masks that leave the rest of their skin exposed to the elements/poison chemicals?
The fact that the way he's holding his gun indicates he's right handed, and so would be placing the butt of his rifle on his right shoulder, which is currently covered with the aforementioned weird rear end water bottles so he couldn't brace it for a shot?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
one of the dudes has a saber with a cross guard and i can’t get enough of weird lightsaber designs like that

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

What about it it?
The dog leash clips at his knees that if he clipped anything to would make walking impossible?
Gas masks that leave the rest of their skin exposed to the elements/poison chemicals?
The fact that the way he's holding his gun indicates he's right handed, and so would be placing the butt of his rifle on his right shoulder, which is currently covered with the aforementioned weird rear end water bottles so he couldn't brace it for a shot?

:lmao: at most of this but as I mentioned when I first posted the image, the masks are apparently significant in a way that will be, but hasn't yet been revealed

e: I did notice that the artist forgot to enable transparency on the space between the dude's gun stock so there's just a random gray square

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 25, 2020

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
This sounds and looks extremely mediocre.

"Space vikings" gotta be the lamest and most trite of "sci-fi alien cultures".

Good name though, the "High" Republic. It's drugs, the Jedi are doing space drugs :hmmyes:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mooey Cow posted:

This sounds and looks extremely mediocre.

"Space vikings" gotta be the lamest and most trite of "sci-fi alien cultures".

Good name though, the "High" Republic. It's drugs, the Jedi are doing space drugs :hmmyes:

They already did that

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the masks protect them from coronavirus

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
That's a Dark Horse comic. Marvel salivates with jealousy.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Marvel comics have been pretty decent IMO

e: at least the ones I read (Vader and Lando)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I’m on board if they’re Darth Nihilus cultists and this is a stealth attempt to make the Old Republic canon

That must be exhausting

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

What about it it?

:stare: buddy it's a work of fiction.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's an entire sub-forum dedicated to star wars featuring a thread with hundreds of pages with an argument about how the prequels use or non use of magic reflects neo-liberalism in modern society and you're gonna call me out for joking about that dudes water bottles? okie dokie

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

It's an entire sub-forum dedicated to star wars featuring a thread with hundreds of pages with an argument about how the prequels use or non use of magic reflects neo-liberalism in modern society and you're gonna call me out for joking about that dudes water bottles? okie dokie

yes. you grasp the situation p well

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

well I don't like it squizzle. I don't like it one bit given those compared situations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

"joking"

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

That must be exhausting

I posted that not really thinking there was any real chance of them actually doing it but now I’m starting to think they really are:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

those light jedi are gonna freakin destroy their enemies and I will tell you exactly why right now:

Not a SINGLE misplaced tactical water bottle amongst them.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

There's no limit on posting.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Big Beef City posted:

those light jedi are gonna freakin destroy their enemies and I will tell you exactly why right now:

Not a SINGLE misplaced tactical water bottle amongst them.

:hmmyes:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I posted that not really thinking there was any real chance of them actually doing it but now I’m starting to think they really are:

do the hyperspace gas masks stop the force

dumb imo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

IMO it's gonna be some crappy cop-out like "they're DEFINITELY NOT SITH but the helmets let them use the Force to project into hyperspace and"

uhh poo poo, I dunno, destroy ships in hyperspace?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I thought it was interesting that there was a bunch of footage from the prequels, and then even more interesting that Darth Maul got a specific mention as a great design

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
disney sell some lightsaber lighters so we can make the high republic literal

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i just think they look cool

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I’m guessing the masks are for whatever type of Spice or other space-drug they use to fuel their space-berserker rage.

As for their skin showing, Zabrak and Twi’lek both show a cultural proclivity for exposed chest, midriff, etc.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
The “High” Republic refers to the epidemic of Space-PCP addiction introduced by the Nihil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Did you know? "Nihil" means "nothing" in Latin.