Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

"Splinter group Force-users"

Snow Cone Capone posted:

IMO it's gonna be some crappy cop-out like "they're DEFINITELY NOT SITH but the helmets let them use the Force to project into hyperspace and"

uhh poo poo, I dunno, destroy ships in hyperspace?

:sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Squizzle posted:

im a simple man but i support the addition of dinosaurs to almost any setting that could support them

They bring back the Ssi-Ruuvi.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

font color sea posted:

No single main character. Who is Luke Skywalker lol nobody cares about that nerd

leia and hans struggles were just as important.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm just a bit wary since the last time they tried to "shake up" Star Wars we ended up with the Yuuzhan Vong dropping a moon on Chewbacca to show they were SERIOUS ABOUT IT

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It would have been cooler if they had dropped a moon on Luke and/or Leia instead of having them die from "literally nothing".

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wait, they killed off Luke and Leia in that series? I gave up after like 3 of them, and the series afterwards (the bug loving one and the Fate of the Jedi one) seemed somehow even dumber.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Wait, they killed off Luke and Leia in that series? I gave up after like 3 of them, and the series afterwards (the bug loving one and the Fate of the Jedi one) seemed somehow even dumber.

They meant how they died in the sequel trilogy where they both die from force overuse via long distance telepathy

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh. Yeah, that was kind of dumb

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Don't pay space AT&T your long distance force bills? Pay the price, pal.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Obviously the Jedi weren't very good at being border guards because we know the Exegollians still managed to infiltrate the Republic.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This poo poo is going to be worse than destiny lore

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It is inconceivable that it could be worse than the EU stuff that the ultrafans seem to love so much. Personally, I will never read a book about Star Wars

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

zoux posted:

It is inconceivable that it could be worse than the EU stuff that the ultrafans seem to love so much. Personally, I will never read a book about Star Wars

I mean a lot of the old stuff is really bad, but lol if you think it can't get worse

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

zoux posted:

How about a private subforum full of pedants on a dead comedy website devoted to it?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
You best start reading Star Wars books. You're in one!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

How about a private subforum full of pedants on a dead comedy website devoted to it?

Sounds dope actually

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

zoux posted:

The really stupid stuff is loved in a "this is endearingly idiotic way"

Bad kind of stupid:
-the Yuuzhan Vong/New Jedi Order stuff (almost everyone I've ever talked to who was a SW book dweeb jumped ship around then)
-the short story collections that explain how actually, literally every single alien in the Cantina/Jabba's Palace/etc. had a convoluted backstory that somehow involved them being absolutely critical to the movie plots
-the super-edgy Sith stuff

Good kind of stupid:
-Crystal Star: furry self-insert aliens (they're born as wolves with 6 legs and when they hit puberty they turn into 4-armed furry humans) and Evil Golden Blob Monster, also Luke being a total dick for no reason
-Darksaber: the Hutts build a bargain-bin Death Star and it works about as well as you'd expect
-Goofy-rear end superweapons (Sun Crusher, Galaxy Gun, etc.)
-Han Solo's Evil Uncle / Han Solo vs. Giant Otter in The Octagon
-Luuke Skywalker

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Mooey Cow posted:

No single character.

We may not be allowed to send a pro-war message in our Star Wars, but we can at least send a pro-marriage message = feelings.

I like how diversity is listed twice because they knew that board would be filmed for the video and Disney and Lucasfilm wants to make sure millennials know how woke they are

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

zoux posted:

yeah i think this is really it. it's not gonna be good and it's especially not gonna be good if you're already primed to think of it as bad. but no star wars book or comic has ever passed that test. entertainingly bad schlock is the right place to set your expectations, i think.

Noob Saibot posted:

I like how diversity is listed twice because they knew that board would be filmed for the video and Disney and Lucasfilm wants to make sure millennials know how woke they are

don't you have a subreddit to be posting in or something

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Bad kind of stupid:

-the short story collections that explain how actually, literally every single alien in the Cantina/Jabba's Palace/etc. had a convoluted backstory that somehow involved them being absolutely critical to the movie plots

:wrong:

the idea that everyone in the setting lives an adventure worth telling is actually fuckin rad and helps build out a more interesting wild and bizarre setting

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like the story about a guy running off and getting married to the six-breasted dancer at Jabba's palace, or the story about how Bib Fortuna was in a complicated position trying to leverage Jabba's wealth to influence his home planet, but wound up getting his brain cut out and put in a droid.

They're hit and miss, but that's pretty typical of story anthologies.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Noob Saibot posted:

I like how stupid you seem to be

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Noob Saibot posted:

That second diversity on the right says "dinosaurs!"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Squizzle posted:

:wrong:

the idea that everyone in the setting lives an adventure worth telling is actually fuckin rad and helps build out a more interesting wild and bizarre setting

Sure, independent backstories would be great, but a lot of them ended up variations on "X character that's in 2 frames was actually a Rebel spy sent to sabotage Greedo's blaster so Han could fulfill his destiny and meet Obi-Wan" or "the little bat alien had just finished robbing Jabba's palace where she found a captured Rebel operative who gave her a datachip that ended up being vitally important to the Rebellion" and it just kind of got dumb.

IIRC the Jabba's Palace ones were a little more "independent backstory" and the Cantina ones were more "VITAL TO THE REBELLION," with the Bounty Hunters one being kind of a mix of the two.

The IG-88 story where he takes over the Death Star II's main computer and is about to gently caress up the galaxy, except this happens 30 seconds before it gets blown up, is pretty hilarious.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

I like how stupid you seem to be

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xU1ffHa47YY

Don’t be an internet stooge

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Jfc is that line really in the Dumbo remake

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Shaggar posted:

nobody liked what we did with the new trilogy cause we didn't plan anything out, but we also don't want to pay anyone for the popular stuff in the EU. Lets build a new EU where none of it will technically be canon so we don't have to pay much for it. Then if any of it becomes popular we can exercise our rights in the contracts to create canonical works from it without paying the authors anything extra.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Shaggar posted:

nobody liked what we did with the new trilogy cause we didn't plan anything out, but we also don't want to pay anyone for the popular stuff in the EU. Lets build a new EU where none of it will technically be canon so we don't have to pay much for it. Then if any of it becomes popular we can exercise our rights in the contracts to create canonical works from it without paying the authors anything extra.

this presumes they need to pay anyone anything to reuse the old EU stuff. lucasfilm wasn't doing any better or worse by creators than disney

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They very publicly did plan things out with the new trilogy, they announced a plan for something like 10 movies shortly after buying the IP, and then wound up scuppering half of them after only a couple movies in.

I don't know if they actually had any plans for the actual plots of the movies or the general creative direction, but there were all those stories of swapping out directors and rewrites, so if they did have any plans, they definitely abandoned those plans partway through. Maybe even whoever made those plans left so everyone tossed out their ideas, who knows.

Which seems to be the usual result of planning a big huge project way in advance without the executives actually having any real confidence in the plan or the people making the plan.

Dillon2
Apr 3, 2018

Mooey Cow posted:

No single character.

We may not be allowed to send a pro-war message in our Star Wars, but we can at least send a pro-marriage message = feelings.

They can't take away my nude patch for KOTOR2 and that's all I care about

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's honestly mind-boggling how much they had to be trying to gently caress up Star Wars ("you boil the water! You pour in the packet!") like, never mind the literal decades of EU stuff to be mined, how many writers and directors would kill someone with their bare hands for the chance to make a new Star Wars film? And Disney is like, just do the most obvious things possible and we'll file it down some more when you're done

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Disney: make "less than 12 parsecs" canon. Wait, I laughed at that bit. Is this a comedy?! Get a new guy in to take the comedy out and make it just a film about less than 12 parsecs

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

2house2fly posted:

It's honestly mind-boggling how much they had to be trying to gently caress up Star Wars ("you boil the water! You pour in the packet!") like, never mind the literal decades of EU stuff to be mined, how many writers and directors would kill someone with their bare hands for the chance to make a new Star Wars film? And Disney is like, just do the most obvious things possible and we'll file it down some more when you're done

see previous comments about the EU stuff being mostly bad, with the best rising to entertaining cheese. people hold the movies to a higher standard, and rightly so. you don't have to be a meganerd to be interested in them in the first place. solo was a thoroughly mediocre and muddled movie, yet still better than every han solo EU story. a sequel trilogy focusing on mara jade and admiral thrawn (or worse, jacen and jaina solo) had little potential to be better than the sequel trilogy we got, and probably would have been a lot worse, as a second-hand copy of an original that was never very good to begin with.

so if you're expecting to feel the way you felt about the star wars movies that made you care enough about star wars to post in this forum, forget it. even if you expect to feel the way you felt about thrawn or whatever 25 years ago when you were 25 years younger than you are now, you're gonna be disappointed. if you're expecting more EU slurry to freshen up the pool, then this high republic stuff has a chance.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I almost feel like they'd be better setting it off in the future.
Set it up as "It's been 200 years of peace. The Sith are vanquished..." do a movie or two where the Jedi are fighting smugglers or rebellions against the new Alliance and have it seem pretty intense, and then out of nowhere have a new Darth Whomever step onto the stage in an "Oh crap" moment that people weren't prepared for, like don't even tease it, just sorta maybe BARELY hint that possibly the dark side is still out there but no one can use it but then VWOOM a red saber lights up a couple movies in, and uh-oh...

Ok, not only does this actually give weight to a protagonist but it also entirely removes the "Well everything is gonna be fine because this happened in the past, you poo poo bird and we know what happens in the future and everyone's ok" aspect, which is stupid.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Big Beef City posted:

I almost feel like they'd be better setting it off in the future.
Set it up as[...]

Bearing in mind what I just said about EU stuff in general, try reading Star Wars Legacy. It's pretty close to what you're describing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They also didn’t plan out the uh Original Trilogy and yet

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

Jfc is that line really in the Dumbo remake

Yes and it’s said twice

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I can't loving wait for this All New, Fresh, Hip Take On Star Wars to tell a bunch of stories that's just the Original Trilogy/Prequels/KOTOR all over again with nothing but nostalgia bait references to Things You Might Remember From Star Wars.

Perpetual Motion
Aug 12, 2013
If there's one thing that has me mildly interested in this setting, it's stories about a robust Jedi Order not on the brink of collapse/extinction or just completely nonexistent at the moment. What little we see of the functional order in the prequels is that they were poorly written dogmatic idiots who largely got what was coming to them by being generals in a war when they're supposed to be peacekeepers. Even The Old Republic was largely about that or the Jedi just falling to the Dark Side and fighting with themselves until they wiped themselves out, it was just more nuanced about it and largely knew that the Jedi were being dumb.

I could take or leave everything else they've talked about thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

Bearing in mind what I just said about EU stuff in general, try reading Star Wars Legacy. It's pretty close to what you're describing.

no don't it's terrible and they still don't manage to do anything but rehashes with the "edgelord" setting cranked up to 11