Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

yeah no I'm not reading comics or novels about the EU regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

I wonder if these people have any ideas for stories, not just EU poo poo they want to bring back.

Sailbot is right, 1) they wrote diversity twice because they want to make bank off it while sucking at it, and 2) that board is the most staged poo poo I've ever seen. i know that's expected, but what is anyone supposed to take away when it's clearly BS?

Squizzle posted:

:wrong:

the idea that everyone in the setting lives an adventure worth telling is actually fuckin rad and helps build out a more interesting wild and bizarre setting
they usually revolved around the events of the movies & established characters too much for that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It says "Dinosaurs!" you loving dunce

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

it says diversity twice

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

it should say dinosaurs twice

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I wanna see AT-ATs fight dinosaurs, or barring that, speeders take out a brontosaurus with tow cables while fighting off pterodactyls

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the board should look more like this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the term diversity mule has a lot of potential i think

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

space mules!!!!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

15 parsecs on the kessel canal

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
space vikings riding space mules to space Byzantium

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Graphically depicted lesbian space Mongols isn't up there so I'm not really buying into this

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

we already hit the nadir of star wars qaudrupling down on missing the sine qua non of star wars with extragalactic cenobite body horror pain monsters that are immune to the force and nothing will be worse than that so i mean, whatever. i won't read them but its fine they're not for me.

note that i don't necessarily blame Salvatore, stackpole, et all for the vong, they were written into a corner with characters that had nowhere to go , in a setting that had had its defining star war, and probably had to get special corporate permission to kill off or even do much interesting with any of them.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Read.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It is listed twice, once in the first column and then again directly under “dinosaurs” in the third.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

whats a synapsid anyway

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Why doesn’t the board say nude scene

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

how do you come up with a setting this workshopped and not realize the name sounds like a new yorker article about changing attitudes towards marajuana laws

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

cuntman.net posted:

whats a synapsid anyway

It's a nude dinosaur.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

You are right, and I apologize for lashing out like that.

It's still a dumb thing to get annoyed about.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 27, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It says diversity twice.

The entire board is probably there for the cameras.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Squizzle posted:

space mules!!!!

Augh my 10000 year psychohistorical modelling

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You are right, and I apologize for lashing out like that.

im not mad at all, in fact, im laughing

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm not sure what other response I can make aside from "you're right, I'm sorry"

VVV it's kind of silly, I guess I'm hypersensitive to people who legitimately feel threatened by that sort of thing.

I spend too much time on Twitter, it's rotting my brain.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 27, 2020

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i meant that unironically, im not annoyed at the diversity board i just think its kinda funny

also you werent addressing me the first time but for what its worth i didnt see it as lashing out, just the usual ironic overreacting

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
you guys are hung up on the double diversity but i'm stuck on "university"

was that someone trying to make up a word like "universe-ity", like it's big and in space

or was that someone just romanticizing their college days

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

People talk about "mining out" the EU for stories mainly because that's the primary thing that made most of the Marvel movies work, the fact that they were largely recycling characters that were all at a minimum 60 years old and decades-old storylines, so even if the creative staff got shuffled and they needed to work in some pivots, they've still pretty clearly got models to work from.

Personally, I don't even like the marvel movies that much, and in the last 5 years, my favorite things that Disney has put out have been the more self-contained things that don't have billion-dollar franchises bearing down on them with big huge hype trains, so when there's a trailer for a big new thing that they're making in a committee, my expectations are low.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Imagine a Jedi college American Pie-type movie.

No, not the main series, one of the spinoffs.

Eventually the partying and crazy hijinks get so bad the Council has to step in and outlaw all drinking and all loving, and that's why they are the way they are later.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

was that someone trying to make up a word like "universe-ity", like it's big and in space

i was wondering about that too

in the movies we see what secular occupations, outside the republic and empire govt/mil hierarchy

subsistence farmers, guerrillas, drug cartel, industrialist, miner/refinery worker, bounty hunter, clone scientist, diner owner, .....bar fly??

not a lotta views into academia, if any exists, which means theres some unseen territory you could cover in a major new fiction initiative

but it also makes sense as a complement to diversity—the desire for a cohesive-feeling universe, something consistent w the films and tv shows seen so far, as not to break the audiences sense that they are enjoying a starwar

so idk

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I feel like they mentioned universities/academia at least a couple of times in the EU.

e: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/University/Legends but who knows how many of them are just random 1-off namedrops.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I feel like they mentioned universities/academia at least a couple of times in the EU.

e: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/University/Legends but who knows how many of them are just random 1-off namedrops.

Dr. Aphra comics have one or two as incidental factions interested in the curiosities and antiquities she uncovers.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm not sure what other response I can make aside from "you're right, I'm sorry"

VVV it's kind of silly, I guess I'm hypersensitive to people who legitimately feel threatened by that sort of thing.

I spend too much time on Twitter, it's rotting my brain.
does it not occur to you that people might find their staged 'diversity' objectionable because they've been making those noises for five years and taken the loving piss every step of the way?

you should be insulted by this poo poo, not on its behalf.

v welp, bless your optimism I guess.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 27, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Saint Drogo posted:

does it not occur to you that people might find their staged 'diversity' objectionable because they've been making those noises for five years and taken the loving piss every step of the way?

It occurs to me, I try to be optimistic that it's a sincere effort. Disney execs are likely the ones who decided to remove the split-second gay kiss at the end of RoS for the Chinese market, but I believe that the actual content creators may be sincere in their desire to write more inclusive characters (obviously in that case the writers have some blame in deciding that that was how they would shoehorn "representation" into the movie). :shrug:

I didn't say I was on it's behalf, I just don't think it's insulting.

Comics and books also tend to have a little more leeway - Marvel/DC stuff is pretty significantly better at that sort of thing on paper instead of on film, and a lot of the recent comics/cartoons have been pretty good at representation, as opposed to the movies (I think the Birds of Prey movie has a 5-second flashback where she's dating another woman?) I'm cautiously optimistic that "diversity in Star Wars" will do better in new books/comics than in the films.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 27, 2020

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

They kind of did mine the EU for the Sequel Series, except they mined Dark Empire. Which itself was derided as creatively bankrupt 20 years ago.

Starkiller Base = Galaxy Gun
Snoke = lovely Palpatine Clones
Exegol = Byss
Palpatine being an evil sith ghost. Posessing a Skywalker
Etc.

Dark Empire was bad and the Sequels are bad.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 27, 2020

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I definitely read it as an actual university, like a Harry Potter-style series in the Jedi Academy. Which could be really neat or really awful but nothing in between

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jedi Frat Party

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jack2142 posted:

They kind of did mine the EU for the Sequel Series, except they mined Dark Empire. Which itself was derided as creatively bankrupt 20 years ago.

Starkiller Base = Galaxy Gun
Snoke = lovely Palpatine Clones
Exegol = Byss
Palpatine trying to pose as baby Skywalker.
Etc.

Dark Empire was bad and the Sequels are bad because outside of TLJ (Which was bad in another wat) they were mining it for content.

Did people hate on Dark Empire when it came out? I thought it was goofy as hell, but I never really read reviews about it or anything.

Also "mining the EU for the new canon" and "DINOSAURS!" converge pretty nicely:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Diversity (fiction)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't wait to see a younger Yoda in this time period

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Did people hate on Dark Empire when it came out? I thought it was goofy as hell, but I never really read reviews about it or anything.

No, but bear in mind that it had the novelty of "new Star Wars stuff" that very little has had since.