Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug
Hello, Long time lurker here with a humble request, looking for fun dubbed animes~ Maybe it's anime that's on par with the japanese version when it comes to emotion, perhaps it's something kinda dumb with the voice actors clearly having fun, Maybe it just has some characters that clearly stand out with smooth voices, whatever stands out really

https://twitter.com/Kirinodere/status/1216810718340833282?s=20

A sister is all you need has a pretty entertaining dub, to start with. It's a comedy slice of life, and usually gets actual laughs from me at least once an ep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Samurai Pizza cats.
Because apparently they had no translation of the original Japanese script for the English dub and just made up crap to go with the pictures on the screen.
It includes jokes like someone asking what these "squiggles" are when looking at a sign written in Japanese and it breaks the 4th wall constantly. For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFO4BC3JgMk&t=418s

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 26, 2020

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
If "so bad it's good" counts, you can't go wrong with Devilmaaaaaaaaaan

:nws:, probably https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubSdfYqCgK8

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yu Yu Hakusho.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijd4PLUVptw

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug
Spice and Wolf has a pretty dang good dub, It's a cut above normal dubs IMO. Takes things in a bit of a "acting troupe" sort of tone, but in a pretty fun way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ejEjFBVRzs

(Sometimes finding examples is hard, so by all means if ya'll wanna post without doing so that's good too)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
As already mentioned, YYH has great voice acting and character dialogue.

While I don't know if I can reccomend the dub wholesale for Welcome to the NHK! Chris Patterson's portrayal of Satou is one of my favorite dub performances of all time, and I honestly enjoy his take on the character more than the original Japanese seiyuu.

If you're talking about great comical dubs, Yu-Gi-Oh! definitely applies, especially Yugioh GX and Yugioh 5Ds.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Big O
Cyber City Oedo 808
Sakigake!! Cromartie Highschool
I enjoy the G Gundam dub but that might just be nostalgia

Some rear end in a top hat is going to come in here and say Ghost Stories so I want to preemptively say that it's bad actually, unless Jew jokes and epic references to 2006 pop culture are the height of comedy to you

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Honestly the Media Blasters dub of Giant Robo is pretty good as well

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Not counting joke dubs like Duel Masters, ROD, ROD the TV, Gundam Wing, Big O, and Panty and Stocking are good. GitS:SAC and 2nd Gig are also good.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 26, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm pretty sure watching Mad Bull 34 without the English dub is a crime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvoFMPYD9Kk&t=308s

SLEEPY!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

baccano's dub is fantastic and i think is actually the better method of watching the show. its set in prohibition era america so all the dub VAs try for period appropriate accents. some of them dont quite nail it but it gives the series a really unique flavor compared to the pretty standard anime VAing of the japanese cast.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the digimon tamers dub is pretty good and adds one of my favorite jokes ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NE5F6k3XCc

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

A bit bandwagon-y, but the Cowboy Bebop dub is still my favorite, even after all these years. I haven't watched many dubs since the old Toonami days, but Fooly Cooly and FMA are around that level too.

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug
Stein's Gate is a fantastic anime all around, and also has a pretty great dub, Okarin in particular just NAILING the character's energy, though the japanese dub is also legitimately great, so depends on your mood I suppose. All of the characters are great, and the only real complaint I have is some of the more 2chan-y memes are more "western nerdded," possibly for lack of belief people'd catch em?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mslZSL9Z84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbDQpiDxikY

Merry Deciever fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 26, 2020

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Ok, now a bit of a contentious one:
I actually quite like the old ADV dub of Neon Genesis Evangelion.
I'll admit that it starts of pretty dire and some people (Shinji probably being the worst example) are pretty ropey, but...

I actually prefer dub Gendo to Japanese Gendo. I really like Misato and Ritsuko, and I love to hate Asuka as well. Although there's some wonky acting early on in the series, I think the actors really begin to fill their shoes at the show goes on, the latter half is appropriately dramatic and genuinely emotional. I feel like the actors are giving it their all and really playing their roles to the hilt.

Also probably divisive, but I like the english dub added some incidental 'speech noises' - little breaths or sighs - that were missing from the Japanese. It added a level of humanity to some of the dialogue that was missing from the Japanese track.

Plus nobody screams like Spike Spencer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyRActRVYPw

I almost always watch shows subbed nowadays, including Eva, but I think I'll always have a soft spot for that dub.

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug
Well now I'm legitimately curious as to how many people even watch ANY anime dubbed these days... I'd like to add a poll to the thread asking that, but don't think I can edit that in? Hate to be presumptuous, but could a mod add one to the thread?

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Soul Reaver posted:

Ok, now a bit of a contentious one:
I actually quite like the old ADV dub of Neon Genesis Evangelion.
I'll admit that it starts of pretty dire and some people (Shinji probably being the worst example) are pretty ropey, but...

I actually prefer dub Gendo to Japanese Gendo. I really like Misato and Ritsuko, and I love to hate Asuka as well. Although there's some wonky acting early on in the series, I think the actors really begin to fill their shoes at the show goes on, the latter half is appropriately dramatic and genuinely emotional. I feel like the actors are giving it their all and really playing their roles to the hilt.

Also probably divisive, but I like the english dub added some incidental 'speech noises' - little breaths or sighs - that were missing from the Japanese. It added a level of humanity to some of the dialogue that was missing from the Japanese track.

Plus nobody screams like Spike Spencer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyRActRVYPw

I almost always watch shows subbed nowadays, including Eva, but I think I'll always have a soft spot for that dub.

Same - I also like both the original dub voice of Kaworu and the one they brought in for that platinum re-release a while back. I think it was Greg Ayres? That being said, with the sole exception of Asuka not having a shred of her original dub VA's bite, I actually don't mind the Netflix dub cast all that much and considering what they had to work with they're fine. Weak direction and a stranglehold on the translation was what hurt that dub, not the actors themselves.

I also really like the 90s anime dub of Berserk - I think it's good but also it's funny hearing Mike Pollock and other VAs I normally associate with 4kids productions popping up.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 26, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Merry Deciever posted:

Well now I'm legitimately curious as to how many people even watch ANY anime dubbed these days... I'd like to add a poll to the thread asking that, but don't think I can edit that in? Hate to be presumptuous, but could a mod add one to the thread?

No can do-while mods can edit polls, they can't add polls to threads without one.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
as a sub purist, i can still admit that every sub purist has a pet dub they will go to bat for

mine is Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, which borders on being a total rewrite of the script with new jokes and should be watched sequentially after the sub

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I usually always watch the dub for any anime if it's available and prefer them typically. :shobon: Guess I'm a bad anime fan? A dub has to be 4Kids level bad (or just VERY stilted VA/script wise overall) for me to go "eh, imma watch it subbed". This mainly applies for a lot of late 90s or early 00s dubs, but fansubs for a lot of series during this time could be a doozy on their own script wise, so it's a coinflip really in what I feel like dealing with. For specific dubs that are among my favorite:

Devilman Crybaby - Just a great cast all around. Griffin Burns is wonderful as Akira, Kyle McCarley as Ryo is a treat, and love Christina Vee as Miki.
Madoka Magicka - Christina Vee just nails Homura and has incredible range for what was needed. Cassandra Lee's Kyubey is a treat.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Vic might be a poo poo stain, but no denying his Ed is perfect. Though star performance to me is Ed Blaylock(RIP :smith:) as Bradley, and Travis Willingham as Roy.
Violet Evergarden - Not a perfect dub, but all the important characters are well casted, and Erika Harlacher as Violet herself really shines as the series progresses and Violet develops.
My Hero Academia - Chris Sabat is the only All Might in my eyes. :colbert:
Hunter x Hunter(2011) - Just really good casting all around. Love Matt Mercer as Leorio, Christina Vee as Killua, and especially Keith Silverstein as Hisoka. Only a tiny handful of scenes I would say are inferior than the Japanese.
Fruits Basket(new one) - After being stuck doing her serious voice in video games for so drat long, Laura Bailey proved she can still do anime and is the perfect Touhru.
Hellsing Ultimate - Dub overall just oozes character I find lacking in the sub minus Joji Nakata as Alucard, who is just as good as Crispen Freeman. Gildart Jackson as the Major is the biggest highlight for me.

Also any Studio Ghibili movie dub I'll always prefer. A lot of more recent movies have knocked them out of the park too.

Zeratanis fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 26, 2020

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I've banged this drum for years, but Brain Powerd is a criminally underrated show and if you just watch the Japanese dub it's pretty unremarkable but in the English dub it's a pretty bonkers show. All the voice work is a little bit...off, and combined with the pacing of the show (Tomino thought he would get 52 episodes and ended up with half that) and the actual bonkers plot of the show itself, it really comes together as greater than the sum of its parts. Jonathan in particular remains one of my favourite characters in anime, at least from just a pure entertainment standpoint, because of a mix of the weird animation, bizarre plot and hilarious VO work.

Here's the very NSFW opening credits to a show that somehow aired on TV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp9TUMJugnw

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I cannot stand dubs 99% of the time, but the English dub of Cromartie is better than the original Japanese.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hungry posted:

I cannot stand dubs 99% of the time, but the English dub of Cromartie is better than the original Japanese.

I think they're both equally good, in different ways. The mc in the dub is a lot more sarcastic than the original which changes the dynamics of the jokes quite a bit. The Japanese also had Norio Wakamotorcycle

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Merry Deciever posted:

there seems to have been a recent trend of overly stiff and literal dub jobs lately, like the purist sensibilities of early scanlators have somehow leaked into the professional scene

things i like that haven't been mentioned yet

Black Lagoon - unambiguously better than the native JP, especially when it starts throwing multi-lingual characters into the mix
Space Dandy - dandy guy, in space
Samurai Champloo - there seems to be a trend of Watanabe productions going all-in when it comes to their english direction
Serial Experiments Lain - shockingly good dub for its time, still holds up today
Texhnolyze - the entire cast perfectly captures the exhausted, laconic tone needed for something so relentlessly bleak

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If you can get your hands on the original Vampire Hunter D english dub, it's got some slightly odd dialogue here and there but it's good. There was a re-dub a few years ago with new voice actors and it just sounds sterile.

I also have a soft spot for early DBZ ocean dub and 4kids One Piece dub. I still think about brooklyn accent sanji.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
The Princess Principal dub has british accents and I think they did a pretty good job.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded
https://youtu.be/0Awfq95GSSo

Even if SEED is terrible it was worth it for this

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
For recent-ish stuff, if any Spanish-speaking regular has missed out on it, the LatAm dub for Fate/Apocrypha is pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1RvxzbjH68

The Dub for Demon Slayer is OK for the most part, but it does have some pretty fun stand-outs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRl_au1sbXg

My favorite dubbed thing to this day, though? Probably the LatAm dub of Slam Dunk. René Garcia (surprise surprise, a voice actor for Vegeta steals the show) absolutely sold you Hanamichi Sakuragi in a way that sadly I never quite got from Takeshi Kusao.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless
I can't believe I forgot my two favourite dubs.
They both share a common theme: they don't just dub the voices, but also the soundtrack.

The first of these is the amazing English dub of Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie.

Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie is a dumb movie. It's really just a very threadbare excuse to string together some fight scenes and everything else is ridiculous and largely irrelevant gibberish.
However, the fight scenes are actually animated REALLY well, and are a joy to watch.
The problem with the original Japanese version is twofold: one, it takes itself seriously, and two, the soundtrack is really generic Jap pop stuff.

However, the English dub is amazing. Everything is over-the-top! Nobody can act! The music is replaced with intense industrial/heavy metal!
It gives the movie an intensely cheesy b-movie vibe that suits it to a tee but that the Japanese version is sorely missing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUUN5mzr4ZU
To add extra entertainment value, take note of every scene in which Guile is a failure. It forms a narrative all on its own.

The other one is the german dub of Captain Future.

Captain Future, when it got exported from Japan for localization, did not have a separate audio track for voice and music. That meant that any dubbing that was done would be forced to redub the music too.
So the original Japanese opening sounded like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_2mpQijxyY
Which hasn't aged well.

Nobody in an English speaking country remembers this show either, and it's not hard to see why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGZHSFMlcpA
The music and voice acting are both absolutely awful, consigning this version of the show to the scrapheap of history.

In German speaking countries however this is what we got. Hold on to your hats!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNFeSbHkOqk
There's a reason this otherwise little known show from years back is still considered a cult hit in German speaking countries, to the point where the music from it is sometimes still remixed and played in clubs. The music is absolutely top-notch for this show and fits it perfectly.
The dub cast also do a stellar job - unlike the English speaking cast, they take their job seriously, adding gravitas and drama to the proceedings, elevating the show to a truly engaging pulp scifi story. Note for example how the German robot character acts and emotes, rather than trying to do a cheap 'emotionless robot' impression.
The greatest crime of all is that the German version had cuts made for duration (and sometimes violence). The perfect version of this show would be an uncut German dub using the original soundtrack and actors which, alas, does not exist.

If I ever need an illustrative example of what a difference a soundtrack and the quality of a dub can make to a show, this is the one to use.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 29, 2020

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I like the dub of initial d and mushi shi

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I find the majority of dubs produced these days are pretty good. Pretty much any studio doing them these days has a lot of experience and the actors involved generally seem pretty passionate about it. Some of my favorites:

El Hazard - This oldie from the mid 90's was one of the earliest dubs to feel like they really put a lot of effort into it. It was an early role for a lot of actors who would go on to become popular mainstays in the voice acting world including much of the Cowboy Bebop cast.
Steins;Gate - J. Michael Tatum is definitely the star here hamming it up as Okabe but the whole cast is solid.
Kakegurui - Pretty much every notable actress in the L.A. dub scene gets to go full nutjob.
Bloom into You - Tia Ballard and Luci Christian are perfect as Yuu and Touko in one of Sentai's strongest dubs.
Konosuba - I wouldn't have thought they could pull this one off as a dub but it worked surprisingly well. Faye Mata kills it as Aqua.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah El-Hazard is good, I knew I was forgetting one

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Zeratanis posted:

Ed Blaylock(RIP :smith:)

I’m sorry WHAT??? :catstare:

DON’T YOU DARE TELL ME ED BLAYLOCK DIED!!!!!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah, he died almost 3 years ago.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Golden Boy https://youtu.be/bHmBSfci0yE

Midjack fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 27, 2020

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug
In response to Street Fighter II the movie, I gotta say something else fits the bill dub-wise is Galerians Rion!

It's 100% that niche of old janky videogame-adapted, and uses early CGI 3d stuff too for extra jank, but heck if it ain't fun to watch with friends. An old PS2 horror game plot, and music which is calm sedate piano in the japanese dub is changed into a bunch of metal tracks, including freaking slipknot for that tasty 2000s AMV feel~ I certainly can't say it's GOOD, but I love it

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug
in the vein of old anime that gets dubbed soundtracks too, Key the Metal Idol has all of the tracks, including it's opening dubbed by the same artist even. It can be awkward at times, but the actors do a pretty decent job with what they have, and the anime has a decent number of songs in it, all dubbed

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

everyone has dubs that they've been stockholm syndromed into loving by their youth, and thats good actually. watching code geass subbed is probably a better decision, but i can't do it.

that said, i'm piling onto the baccano! bandwagon because its legitimately a great dub and works super well

Jarakchan
Mar 17, 2009

Fellis posted:

The Princess Principal dub has british accents and I think they did a pretty good job.

As someone who generally prefers dubs this is wildly incorrect, their accents were terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

any dub with liam o'brien in it is worth hearing

also yeah baccano dub kicks rear end

i've also always liked the dubs of the various gundam shows that i've watched, personally. michael kopsa as char is just too good