Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I work in an office and he sits a few feet from me. He just WILL NOT STOP FREAKING COUGHING!!!

I guess I should feel bad that he's going through this? I dunno though...it's not like he just has a cold or something. It's been going on for years and he never stops. Most people I would tune out as just getting over a sickness, but this is another level. I started making a tally once every time he made a body noise. It got to 47 in 30 minutes.

Cough, cough, clear throat, sneeze, blow nose, cough, cough, cough, cough, clear throat

I have to listen to it all day long. Every day. Headphones won't block it out. Work is like heaven whenever he is gone on vacation.

What can I do about this? I feel like it's not my business to talk to him about his health. Can I report someone to HR for coughing too much? He's not going to quit, but this is making me consider it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
You're gonna die.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Murder him.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gently caress him while whispering sweet words in his ear, bringing forth memories of clear skies and a time when a man could be happy and cough free with few cares in a world full of promise

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Might be a side effect of blood pressure meds

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Dragonrot, OP

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

my dog died im sad posted:

You're gonna die.

I've considered this. I already have a compromised immune system. It seems like I could easily catch something from him.

... but if someone is coughing every day for years, is it contagious? Do people have psychological issues that make them cough?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

they definitely have the corona. la cerveza mas fina.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Gently caress him while whispering sweet words in his ear, bringing forth memories of clear skies and a time when a man could be happy and cough free with few cares in a world full of promise

This would be kind of creepy, and dude is gross. I'm not going to get close to his ear if I can help it.

Maybe I could passive-aggressively leave a bag of cough drops on his keyboard instead.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Tell your boss it's distracting and causing you to produce less profit-generating value for the company

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
My coworker, who shall name Dean.. Won't stop coughing as well. I want to murder this person but now I have a stuffy nose and feel a bit slow. I think, dean made me a bad man... Maybe i'll remote from home tomorrow.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Sounds like he just smokes a lot of weed, op.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

The Grey posted:

This would be kind of creepy, and dude is gross. I'm not going to get close to his ear if I can help it.

Maybe I could passive-aggressively leave a bag of cough drops on his keyboard instead.

ok then. I recommend Fisherman's Friend

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

ok then. I recommend Fisherman's Friend

Is that like that artwork from the nation of Japan called Fisherman's wife?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Edgar posted:

Is that like that artwork from the nation of Japan called Fisherman's wife?

I believe you are thinking of the Japanese movie Cold Fish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_Fish), where the wife character has incredibly nice boobs

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
I work with this guy who has a really bad chronic cough. Years ago he came down with a fever from a mysterious illness that they could not determine but during this intense fever he had both his lungs collapse and the doctors thought he would be dead within 24 hours. Any ways he pulled through but to this day he coughs and wheezes like he's been smoking 3 packs of cigarettes a day. My other co workers make fun of him by giving him the nickname "Baby Lungs."

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

I am Toni Lippi posted:

I work with this guy who has a really bad chronic cough. Years ago he came down with a fever from a mysterious illness that they could not determine but during this intense fever he had both his lungs collapse and the doctors thought he would be dead within 24 hours. Any ways he pulled through but to this day he coughs and wheezes like he's been smoking 3 packs of cigarettes a day. My other co workers make fun of him by giving him the nickname "Baby Lungs."

that hit of compassion and empathy for your fellow man at the very end

very :discourse:

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

sounds like he's already weak, OP. vulnerable. perhaps one mishap away from no longer troubling you, if you get my drift.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
If you replace your sick coworker and pick up his/her duties. You could demand more clams for your effort.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

He's got Coronavirus OP. You should report him to the Corona Police.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Shun it. Maybe you can get away with murdering/killing/culling/silencing/maiming/cutting off/sending it to a farm upstate.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

sorry to hear OP caught the beer virus from their coworker and is probably ded right now

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

I had a collegue that would do these shallow, dry coughs all the time, turns out he had some form of asthma and they didn't figure it out until he was in his fifties.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Every time he coughs or clears his throat, wink at him and say, "It's not the cough that carries you off, it's the coffin they carry you off in."

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Yea when my coworkers are really sick the first thing I do is report them to HR so they can get fired and lose their health insurance and die. Really takes care of that minor annoyance.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

OP, stick your tongue down his throat.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
i wish i was dying but alas my healthbar just wont deplete

echollin
Apr 14, 2007

Charles posted:

Might be a side effect of blood pressure meds

It is with mine along with a tree pollen allergy.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

you gotta cough to get off

stop kink shaming, op

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Ask to move your workstation and leave the poor guy alone. Lol that you consider reporting to HR.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
at least you have a job op

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
get some noise cancelling headphones is my advice op

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Maybe he's just checking his balls you ever thought about that OP?

You are supposed to get a firm grip on the jibblies and cough. His hand must be slipping though. Perhaps if you offer some help?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I just left my job yesterday, but for the past year, I had to deal with a co-worker who cleared her throat every couple seconds. It was awful. Also had another co-worker hum audibly to herself the entire day every day. Again: awful.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Is it all day long, from the moment he comes in, til he leaves? Or, is it quiet the first couple of hours but the cough starts mid-morning - lunchtime?

If its the latter, guy may be a functional alcoholic going into early stage withdrawal.

Help the dude out and get him a drink already.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Maybe he has some kind of diarrhea of the throat

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Throw them into the ocean.

I'm bad though like I barely show symptoms, but I do get sick. I can feel it though. I'm a combination white collar for money but also amateur athlete. So I'm pretty in tune, more or less with my body, even when I'm treating it like a piece of poo poo

I suppose what I'm saying is OP is either throw them into the ocean, or do 10+ hours of training per week, or shut up and just put up with it.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Maybe he's doing it not much but you are going twice as fast as reality, possibly even faster, so it seems like he's doing it more just to you.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Training and good food and beer will make you strong like bull.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imandyyo
Mar 19, 2012
I know someone who had a chronic cough for years and was eventually diagnosed with thyroid cancer.