Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think farming in China has more humans/animal interaction. All the really good diseases come from livestock. Which is also the reason why Europeans gave Native Americans a dozen different horrifying ways to die and they gave us two. Coronavirus probably didn’t start that way, but all the bird and swine flus do.

Just got my pneumonia vaccine since I catch that poo poo at the drop of the hat and was overdue for the shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Does Ruth Ginsberg know how to avoid this virus? Are there any other US officials with known lung conditions that we should be on the lookout for?

Bernie doesn't have lung problems, right?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't see where you get racist from. I find that bizarre. Especially because I was told this by my obviously racist Chinese girlfriend. I just did a quick google search and found that link.

But whatever. I'm sorry if I offended anyone's sensibilities.

The reality is no one knows for sure why any disease starts anywhere. There are just theories. Could it be because there are a ton of people? Yeah, that is surely part of it. Could it be because there is a lot more contact between different species? It's a theory that has some credence.

But it's not loving racist.

Plenty of zoonotic diseases have been traced to their sources. This is an entire field of study.

And "chinese people eat slug vomit to make their weiners hard" is racist. What the gently caress, man.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Plenty of zoonotic diseases have been traced to their sources. This is an entire field of study.

And "chinese people eat slug vomit to make their weiners hard" is racist. What the gently caress, man.

You don't know anyone that uses traditional Chinese medicine do you? There are species of water slugs that are eaten for impotence in TCM. Among about 2000 other herbs for such an affliction.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

coronavirus posted:

You don't know anyone that uses traditional Chinese medicine do you? There are species of water slugs that are eaten for impotence in TCM. Among about 2000 other herbs for such an affliction.

I think its more the way it was posted then the issue of Chinese medicine. Its well known that Chinese medicine is the reason a lot of messed up stuff happens in that part of the world, often with out any way of telling if it does what it claims.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'd also see TCM as a tragic fraud perpetrated on the Chinese people by Mao and his associates

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

TCM is both bad and frequently referenced in racist ways. e.g., rhino horn misunderstandings: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-hard-truth-about-the-rhino-horn-aphrodisiac-market/

It has nothing to do with zoonotic disease outbreaks that I'm aware of. Those are generally the result of poor agriculture and food safety standards, combined with huge population and density. Also, bats.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

TCM is both bad and frequently referenced in racist ways. e.g., rhino horn misunderstandings: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-hard-truth-about-the-rhino-horn-aphrodisiac-market/

It has nothing to do with zoonotic disease outbreaks that I'm aware of. Those are generally the result of poor agriculture and food safety standards, combined with huge population and density. Also, bats.

Ehh, there's some evidence suggesting this current outbreak may be linked to the pangolin trade.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

ReidRansom posted:

Ehh, there's some evidence suggesting this current outbreak may be linked to the pangolin trade.

Ehh, and there's some evidence suggesting this current outbreak isn't linked the the wild animal market at all. Make of it what you will.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hmm pangolins. That's a good point.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There are viral research facilities in Wuhan, so for all we know this is a ‘oops’ situation, although most people believing that theory are fat White guys with tactical shorts and opinions about Qanon.

The last small pox death in the US 40 years ago was a ‘oops’ so it’s not out of the question, although the answer is still probably pangolins.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They have a chinese friend so I think you'll find it's 100% impossible to be racist, you see.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I just hope that once the vaccine comes out we can tell the anti-vaxx assholes to shut the gently caress up and let their kids have their loving shots. I have a feeling this is going to force a few states to drop their non-medical exemptions as well.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Actual Fox News Headline: "Corona Virus infects woman in Japan for the second time, a first for the country."

Also Japan is closing their schools for a month apparently. So that sucks.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Krispy Wafer posted:

There are viral research facilities in Wuhan, so for all we know this is a ‘oops’ situation, although most people believing that theory are fat White guys with tactical shorts and opinions about Qanon.

The last small pox death in the US 40 years ago was a ‘oops’ so it’s not out of the question, although the answer is still probably pangolins.

Research has already been peer reviewed and published that indicates that COVID-19 was zoonotic. It was not a lab oopsie.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
One interesting thing is that the virus will cut down on weird wildlife medical curealls markets like rhino horn or ground cheetah teeth.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Buckwheat Sings posted:

One interesting thing is that the virus will cut down on weird wildlife medical curealls markets like rhino horn or ground cheetah teeth.

Or it will increase it.

The only cure for pangolinism are their natural enemy rhino balls.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I thought it was platypus teeth.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ReidRansom posted:

You sometimes don't get the disease directly from the source animal. Sometimes it mutates into a form that can easily spread into another species (eg pangolins), and what can then happen is it infects the same cells that are already infected with another virus that crosses the barrier between that species and humans, allowing the genes of both virii to mix together and forming a novel virus which can spread to humans and wreak havoc.

qhat fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 27, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FWIW, while an active carrier population has yet to be found, it's pretty much 100% confirmed that the first cases in virtually every recorded Ebola outbreak came directly from consumption of several species of bat meat. Apparently they're passive carriers.

"Why do so many diseases come from China? Because they eat anything" is racist for sure, but zoonotic transmission is absolutely a well-known vector for crazy new diseases.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nevermind

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 27, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Saw before you pulled. False alarm?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

buglord posted:

Saw before you pulled. False alarm?

Looks like airline quote is not right but this is

https://mobile.twitter.com/ABC/status/1233123008455356419

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Bats are extremely common passive carriers for a number of super super nasty diseases.

I love bats, but… Don't touch them.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'm living in New Zealand and I'm honestly amazed that we haven't had any reported cases yet, when Australia has. Not looking forward to finding out how this virus interacts with my asthma when it does find its way over here. :stonklol:

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I'm not super sure why people are getting probed for saying chinese eat weird animals and that might not be good, considering there's a series of ads in china RIGHT NOW about how maybe you shouldn't eat weird animals so you don't get sick. Also the government telling people to stop it. :shrug:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8037093/China-considers-complete-ban-eating-wild-animals-amid-coronavirus-outbreak.html

https://imgur.com/gallery/T3FXGli

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Pick posted:

Bats are extremely common passive carriers for a number of super super nasty diseases.

I love bats, but… Don't touch them.
Isn't this because they have incredibly strong immune systems? So the diseases just train on bats and then go tear poo poo up on other species.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Krispy Wafer posted:

Honestly, it's still firmly a conspiracy theory, but it's a virology laboratory that works on human viruses, that studies coronavirus, and that helped generate an engineered coronavirus that can infect humans, so as conspiracy theories go... it makes more sense than pangolins, considering the things had to be trafficked in a way that you think would cause more problematic exposure than something you could localize to a single animal market. I definitely don't think it's a bioweapon, at any rate...

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The death of that healthy, young doctor who was talking about it on Whatsapp a few weeks before the outbreak exploded probably isn't doing much to assuage the conspiracy theory crowd

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Nurge posted:

I'm not super sure why people are getting probed for saying chinese eat weird animals and that might not be good, considering there's a series of ads in china RIGHT NOW about how maybe you shouldn't eat weird animals so you don't get sick. Also the government telling people to stop it. :shrug:

Yes I can imagine why you might be confused but most people weren't.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Nurge posted:

The answer is basically: who cares. You can go to reddit and talk about that stuff. This disease is a disease, but people use it as a chance to air all their complaints they have about china or asian people or whatever. Like I'm sure there is a real discussion on food safety, but it's clearly in every thread and forum not a legitimate discussion and is just people using a natural disaster as their big chance to go "lamo, orientals eat different food than us, owned!" over and over.

Like, mad cow disease a few years ago legitimately had a food safety cause, feeding waste meat with nerve tissue back to the same animals. You can look back at old threads and see people talking in reasonably terms about it. When it comes to this disease and china it's night and day, where it just devolves over and over into pages and pages where everyone rushes to list the grossest thing they heard of that an asian person might have eaten. Like a discussion of cow farming in europe doesn't end up talking about how europeans ate mummies or cheese with worms in it or haggis. Like there is just so much more fetishization of issues needing to map onto pre-existing stereotypes when it is a problem in china compared to a problem in some other country. Like it's not that china doesn't have a lot of food safety issues, but like, ever single thread doesn't have to be the GBS/reddit thing of 10 people going "hey guys, gutter oil! you guys heard about gutter oil! I heard about gutter oil! did you hear about that?" on every page of every thread that mentions china.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Honestly, it's still firmly a conspiracy theory, but it's a virology laboratory that works on human viruses, that studies coronavirus, and that helped generate an engineered coronavirus that can infect humans, so as conspiracy theories go... it makes more sense than pangolins, considering the things had to be trafficked in a way that you think would cause more problematic exposure than something you could localize to a single animal market. I definitely don't think it's a bioweapon, at any rate...

I can't find the article at the moment, but from what I've read the bioweapon theory is nonsense. This twitter post sums it up far better than I could possibly hope to.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I mean one would assume a proper bio weapon would be engineered with more lethality so ya can just hose down a city and take it over.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Koirhor posted:

I mean one would assume a proper bio weapon would be engineered with more lethality so ya can just hose down a city and take it over.

A bioweapon needs to be incredibly lethal incredibly quickly and to have poor transmissibility without human help so it doesn't just come back around and kill yourself. It needs to kill all the hosts before they can spread and then break down in the environment super fast.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
afaik viruses are never really considered for bio weapons because they can't reasonably be controlled. the only real possibility is if it was some type of virus intended for livestock that jumped from livestock to people but that seems incredibly unlikely.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Isn't this because they have incredibly strong immune systems? So the diseases just train on bats and then go tear poo poo up on other species.

Bats have a body temperature of 105F or something crazy when flying, so kinda?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Sampatrick posted:

afaik viruses are never really considered for bio weapons because they can't reasonably be controlled. the only real possibility is if it was some type of virus intended for livestock that jumped from livestock to people but that seems incredibly unlikely.

Well, there was that smallpox thing.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sampatrick posted:

I always figured (and read a bunch of fiction involving this when I was younger) that the truly scary ones would be from some kind of "humans are a blight on the world and should all be exterminated" type of group, in which case it would most likely be something highly lethal and highly communicable like Ebola or Smallpox or something engineered to be relatively slow like "the flu but it's 100% fatal" like in The Stand.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
If the Coronavirus kicks the US into a recession I think this will be the first time in US history that a disease was the primary cause of a recession.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I always figured (and read a bunch of fiction involving this when I was younger) that the truly scary ones would be from some kind of "humans are a blight on the world and should all be exterminated" type of group, in which case it would most likely be something highly lethal and highly communicable like Ebola or Smallpox or something engineered to be relatively slow like "the flu but it's 100% fatal" like in The Stand.

Good news! There's currently a major Ebola outbreak in Kivu today! Also good news, it's not a big threat to people all over the world because the lethality rate is too high so, y'know, that's something.