Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Guillermus posted:

I've been using more and more a focus 8x M4A1 with negotiators. It just loving wrecks everything, has no recoil and you can land perfect bursts at heads with a crusader shield while almost no exposure to enemy fire. poo poo is so stupid that I just need to tag some enemies and then hit the arm of a chungus and can kill entire groups in no time. I nicked the build from that CanTian speedrunner and is absolutely nuts for solo (even legendaries) or even in groups.

one day i'll get a really good M4 again

but that hasn't been true since I was crafting blue ones while leveling from 1-30 :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I'm gonna post my build to give an idea of what I find 'fun' in the current climate. Note that this isn't a recommendation and I know it's sub-optimal. I'm not seeking advice. This is just how I rock solo Challenging for missions and CPs.

My main build is a 4pc Negotiator set with NinjaBike pads and a Ceska Vyroba chest with Spotter. With all of my armor smartly tweaked to CHC then CHD, all of my weapons, including my pistol, are innately at 60% CHC, leaving me open for anything I want to try out. But I went with the following:

Pestilence as my main gun was sort of tough to justify when I ran Eclipse Protocol, but with a full DPS build, it absolutely rocks. I mow down enemies, and use of ND has numbers of enemies dying sooner, making the Pestilence debuff spread easier and more potently. Ninjabike is great for when I want to reload a slow rear end LMG by sliding between two points in a long cover, keeping up the assault. Plus, with both ND and Pestilence, I can switch targets confidently without having to get that last bullet in. It's made crowd control as a solo agent a whole lot more manageable, and it's sincerely trivialized some Challenging bounties. Mark one named target, then magdump into the other. All that ND damage + the stacks of Pestilence (which, as a reminder, is powered by weapon damage) can annihilate them before I take a second shot at them.

My Fast Hands Banshee is my defacto sidearm. When poo poo gets heavy or when I don't have a good spot to parkour reload my LMG, this badboy throws 52 rounds at mooks within punching distance, and reloads almost instantly. Also great followup for after some other folks have been ND-Tagged.

My pistol, I sometimes switch between my Max damage Mozambique Special, and the Sharpshooters 93R. Both are okay, and have their moments, but I don't rely on them.

The class I chose was Sharpshooter. I went with Gunner at first, but I realized that I never really use the class weapon--and trust me, I tried. Even with everything pointing at DPS, I never kill stuff fast enough with it without getting hurt a lot, myself. I went Sharpshooter once I realized that my long-range game was lacking, and that's normally not a big deal, since I like to be mid-close range anyway. But then I realized I could pull off some nice anti-sniper poo poo. As well, it enabled me to figure out my dilemma with skills.

As a 6-Red agent, my skills were poo poo and all took too loving long to use. Initially I had used Doorkicker for Perfect Spark, alongside a striker drone. The damage was negligible, but it allowed for that 15% damage boost. But then carting it around was annoying, especially in missions, as it'd get stuck, and sometimes just get wrecked by NPCs instantly, which made sense since I had 0 skill power. However, with the Sharpshooter's Tactician Drone, alongside Spotter, I could get that 15% damage boost just by existing near my enemies! No extra work. Plus, the damned thing lasts over six minutes, at 0 skill level, and has a cooldown of 18 seconds. My secondary skill, my decoy, is great for when there are too many people hounding me, as it pulse-tags people anyway, so in a pinch it still leaves me that boost on targets that I need to shake off.

Initially, before WoNY, I loved high risk/high reward builds that had some sort of sustainability, but it turns out there's no real way you can have 6-reds AND a skill that can heal you. I tried for a damned long time to use gunner + blood sucker or 2pc System Corruption for that armor heal, but after a while, I'd get trapped with full powered mooks that I couldn't kill fast enough.

Before this, I had an IMI NEGEV with Fast Hands and the Coyote Mask, and indeed it was fun, but Pestilence has upped the crowd control game to a point that I don't know if I could return to it.

I'm not expecting anything (other than people telling me it sucks anyway), but I'm doing much better with this than with the Meta-build I was made to use in the raid over the weekend, because I'm not good at, nor having fun with, the 8x Scope marksman rifle build. I have fun with this, and I blow through Challenging in a way I didn't fathom I could. :rock:

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
My fun build is to collect flamethrower ammo and then sit in front of enemy spawns and puff a red enemy, then let Eclipse+Vile clear the whole room.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Olds posted:

My fun build is to collect flamethrower ammo and then sit in front of enemy spawns and puff a red enemy, then let Eclipse+Vile clear the whole room.

Why do that when you could trigger a fireworks show at the spawns?

:fsmug:

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

vyst posted:

Good luck marking them when they're already dead in spawn, ha!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

vyst posted:

With that flamethrower build you can't even shoot them because they're on the sides of the doors :argh:

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Just headed out to try and farm Coyotes since I didn’t play Season 1 much. Oh cool there’s a mask target loot area, let’s go there. Reset map and head out to Control point, run into a patrol, kill them, convoy behind them, ugh fine kill them, yellow named guy dies and wait - that’s an orange drop with the mask icon. Pick up, yup that’s the mask. Thanks game! I expected that to take a lot longer. Still did the CP cause it seemed rude not to.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Yeah no joke those vile builds are nasty poo poo

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Tried Vile+Eclipse again and when attempting to do damage (fire/bleed) it's really fun until a particular encounter it isn't suited for (lots of heavies/doggos, or just big open arenas where the enemies don't all politely come out in big clustered groupings to get owned), then you're basically incredibly subpar DPS. I couldn't make it really work well in legendary attempting to do damage and pretty much just went full CC bot with Shock Trap/Riot Foam/EMP, which works well but is very boring.

When it works though entire encounters just die on their own after you light the first group up.

I can't ever remember what brandsets do what but my preferred set is basically 95-100% rolled 5-red + Sawyers setup with Braced/Composure with Pesty. There's absolutely better loadouts but Pesty firing like a laser beam and ticking for over a million a second is fun, and Sawyers comes with the added benefit of assholes not being able to grenade you out of cover.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Guillermus posted:

I've been using more and more a focus 8x M4A1 with negotiators. It just loving wrecks everything, has no recoil and you can land perfect bursts at heads with a crusader shield while almost no exposure to enemy fire. poo poo is so stupid that I just need to tag some enemies and then hit the arm of a chungus and can kill entire groups in no time. I nicked the build from that CanTian speedrunner and is absolutely nuts for solo (even legendaries) or even in groups.
I'm having far too much fun with the Sleipnir you convinced me to craft to ever put anything else on Negotiator's. I've got Obliterate on the chest, and while I know I could do more with Focus, I love sneaking into cover with an empty gun and just ripping out 1000+ rpm like Lone Star Big Al is still in the game.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Aug 11, 2020

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
https://i.imgur.com/n2E8PqB.mp4

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

I'm having far too much fun with the Sleipnir you convinced me to craft to every put anything else on Negotiator's. I've got Obliterate on the chest, and while I know I could do more with Focus, I love sneaking into cover with an empty gun and just ripping out 1000+ rpm like Lone Star Big Al is still in the game.

Dumping ammo with Sleipnir makes me appreciate the fast reload every three from Gunner because oh boy you'll be reloading all the time.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

What build is everyone using for turret+drone? I've not had much luck with skill builds, every time I try I don't seem to be able to pull my weight and I end up falling back on my reliable DPS set up.

Psion posted:

one day i'll get a really good M4 again

but that hasn't been true since I was crafting blue ones while leveling from 1-30 :mad:

I almost never get M4s drop now, and the few I have had were not great. I'm sure it's not the case, but it feels like they're far rarer past level 30 than they were 1-30.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

alphabettitouretti posted:

What build is everyone using for turret+drone? I've not had much luck with skill builds, every time I try I don't seem to be able to pull my weight and I end up falling back on my reliable DPS set up.
Here's my mindless build, for when I want to watch ISAC play the game for me.

-In Sync and Future Perfect as weapon talents. Ideally the Perfect versions (Harmony rifle and Mechanical Animal AR). Perfect In Sync in particular is bananas, +40% damage boost as long as you and your drone/turret hit something every 5s.

-Technician spec, for bonus skill tier and extra skill damage.

-Tech Support (+25% skill damage on skill kill, lasts for aaaages) on backpack and Kinetic Momentum (+15% skill damage, lasts as long as skill is deployed) on chest, Mother Love gloves (+10% skill health) and Sawyer's Kneepads (big damage bonus for sitting in cover and not moving, which you will be doing a lot of).

-The backpack with Perfect Tech Support (+30% damage) and the Mother Love gloves are both Alps gear, so I have an Alps mask to get the +10% skill haste for three Alps pieces, a Wyvern chest (+10% skill damage) and a Murukami holster (+20% skill duration). Focus on maximising skill damage as an attribute on armor, skill haste isn't important for turret/drone builds. Your skill mods should all be +duration as well.

docLeder
Oct 27, 2004
Build chat! My go to for solo-ing heroic lately is 3 gila, 2 golan gear and the Matador backpack. All main rolls are armor, everything else is rolled to crit chance and crit damage except a singel armor regen on my mask.
So running with 60% crit chance, 100% crit damage and 45k armor regen/s. Intimidate on chest.
Using firewall i run around with my shield and an assault drone as just an distraction, mowing down things with lady death. The survivability is excellent, and as long as you toggle shield on and off and sprint to dudes, the damage from lady death is great.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Inferior posted:

-In Sync and Future Perfect as weapon talents. Ideally the Perfect versions (Harmony rifle and Mechanical Animal AR). Perfect In Sync in particular is bananas, +40% damage boost as long as you and your drone/turret hit something every 5s.

-Tech Support (+25% skill damage on skill kill, lasts for aaaages) on backpack and Kinetic Momentum (+15% skill damage, lasts as long as skill is deployed) on chest, Mother Love gloves (+10% skill health) and Sawyer's Kneepads (big damage bonus for sitting in cover and not moving, which you will be doing a lot of).

-The backpack with Perfect Tech Support (+30% damage) and the Mother Love gloves are both Alps gear, so I have an Alps mask to get the +10% skill haste for three Alps pieces, a Wyvern chest (+10% skill damage) and a Murukami holster (+20% skill duration). Focus on maximising skill damage as an attribute on armor, skill haste isn't important for turret/drone builds. Your skill mods should all be +duration as well.

This is pretty much the standard faceroll skill build. For me it's great for Matchmaking into random heroics where you were ready to rock and roll as DPS but then you see 938243728 directives active.

Checking your math shouldn't Kinetic Momentum be 30% since both skills will basically be active the entire time? Or were you just saying 15% per skill.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

vyst posted:

Checking your math shouldn't Kinetic Momentum be 30% since both skills will basically be active the entire time? Or were you just saying 15% per skill.
Yeah, I assumed Kinetic Momentum caps at a 15% bonus for each deployed skill? It's pretty badly explained in-game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Each skill adds 15% but it's 30% total for Kinetic Momentum. The other worthwhile skill talent for turret/drone combo is glass cannon but then you're going to eat 50% extra damage and you don't want to get hit by a molotov with it. For soloing, if not using turret and drone tag team is the best with skilled as second. Skilled is good for explosive builds for soloing as it'll reset quite often both skills so you can focus on another stat that isn't skill haste (like having skill damage+armor regen on all pieces).

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
also mind you, skill builds are a usually a trade-off in speed for consistency and safety. in solo they're fast enough though

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
For my "AFK" Skill Build, I use drone alongside Oxidizer chem launcher because that's so amazing and knocking mooks out of cover and damaging tanks/groups. You get a lot of rounds with short recovery time. As well, using 4pc Hard Wired, once your drone goes down you could bypass the 20 second (if you're not using backpack) cooldown instantly by slapping someone with the chem launcher. Always be droning.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm still kinda confused how heavy armor works and how oxidizer and other skills work with it. Oxidizer does damage to all parts of a heavy's armor at once right?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Either players are getting better, they adjusted the times, or they tweaked enemy difficulty, but I just rolled through all 3 hard missions for the League in no time flat. All 3 had time limits of 14 minutes. I did all 3 with different groups and we blew through them with plenty of time to spare. We did Air & Space in like 8 minutes.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Considering the original time trails all had to be on challenging moving them down to hard makes getting the perfect times almost a given.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

I'm still kinda confused how heavy armor works and how oxidizer and other skills work with it. Oxidizer does damage to all parts of a heavy's armor at once right?

I’m sure it’s possible to have one tank’s arm in the cloud and one not but yes that’s how it works. I think fire and bleed effects will do the same thing.

Assault turret and striker drone will shoot at the chest plate and hit it 99% of the time.

Explosions will also generally hit all plates at the same time.

BexGu posted:

Considering the original time trails all had to be on challenging moving them down to hard makes getting the perfect times almost a given.

Not making one of the trials require heroic is a good thing but the time trials are now pretty performative. I’d like to see them maybe add extra rewards for higher difficulties.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 11, 2020

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Fabricated posted:

I couldn't make it really work well in legendary a

yeah, the vile procs and even fire procs simply do not scale to legendary. On the other hand, a vile/eclipse build is just a quick exotic swap away from legendary ready; just take off Vile and put on Acostas so you can get sweet overcharge to start every fight. Carry EMP sticky (has better duration than jammer) and foam launcher, your teammates will love you. Being able to stun/stop every high threat enemy legendary has is incredibly good.

eclipse is probably the best thought out gearset they have, since it can do skill damage and skill CC incredibly well just by switching around what non-eclipse parts you're equipping. I like it a lot.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Inferior posted:

Thanks. I don't have Mother Love, and my Sawyer's have a terrible roll (health and explosive resist :/) but I managed to cobble something together with hard wired. A quick test seems to show this is working pretty well. Just have to get used to sitting back and letting the skills do the work.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

Not making one of the trials require heroic is a good thing but the time trials are now pretty performative. I’d like to see them maybe add extra rewards for higher difficulties.

Definitely. In the end the time trials are a nearly free 6-7 SHD levels each week and I'm okay with that, especially compared to the absurdity of Pathway's rank 10 par last time.

Still, I wouldn't mind if they added like, I dunno, elite challenges. Once you beat a time trial at rank 10, it unlocks a harder difficulty version of the same trial?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

and my Sawyer's have a terrible roll (health and explosive resist :/)
Exotic stats are fixed...?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Shumagorath posted:

Exotic stats are fixed...?

Correct. The only thing you can hope for is just maxed out stats.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Thanks. I don't have Mother Love, and my Sawyer's have a terrible roll (health and explosive resist :/) but I managed to cobble something together with hard wired. A quick test seems to show this is working pretty well. Just have to get used to sitting back and letting the skills do the work.

Sawyer’s always comes with those defensive stats, I like it cause I like a little extra survivability if I get grenaded and the talent is really useful.

Alternatively you could go with two Hana-U, two Alps, one Wyvern and one Murakami- it’ll give you higher overall skill damage and skill haste. The Hana-U pieces should be the holster, gloves or kneepads, because the Hana-U mask, vest and backpack come with red mod slots for some reason.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Inferior posted:

Sawyer’s always comes with those defensive stats, I like it cause I like a little extra survivability if I get grenaded and the talent is really useful.

Alternatively you could go with two Hana-U, two Alps, one Wyvern and one Murakami- it’ll give you higher overall skill damage and skill haste. The Hana-U pieces should be the holster, gloves or kneepads, because the Hana-U mask, vest and backpack come with red mod slots for some reason.
The lack of grenade stagger will save your rear end a lot because one of the most obnoxious ways to die is to get grenaded, staggered out of cover, and then one-shot by a sniper or a doggo or something.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Inferior posted:

Also worth considering Combined Arms - Hanu Force Multiplier if you can - it doesn’t last anywhere near as long as Tech Support but is 5% more damage if you’re shooting stuff, which I usually am to keep In Sync up (and pretend I’m helping my turret drone).

E: not for you, just in general for other new players like me looking to do an easy build that can solo challenging/heroic.

On the topic, my lazor Chameleon is fun, and can do CP3/CP4 solo but I see what people are saying. 1/3rd of the time I’m blasting away with Bakers Dozen anyway, in a group a full Red meta build would be way more effective. But building all the buffs with Chameleon is fun, I think I need to do a true pest build.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 12, 2020

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Inferior posted:

Yeah I tried it out yesterday and this setup is neat, thanks! Running the drone with oxydiser launcher like someone suggested and that's a nice combo.

Also, I finally picked up Pestilence from the exotic weekly cache instead of another go-bag - does the debuff apply only to damage from your guns, or does it also work for damage from turrets and drones?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Yeah I tried it out yesterday and this setup is neat, thanks! Running the drone with oxydiser launcher like someone suggested and that's a nice combo.

Also, I finally picked up Pestilence from the exotic weekly cache instead of another go-bag - does the debuff apply only to damage from your guns, or does it also work for damage from turrets and drones?

Just the gun

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Don't be fooled by it like I was: It's -very- specifically a 'debuff' not a status effect, so treat it accordingly.
That said it's great for mopping up reds/purps when built up with high enough weapon damage - but the gun itself is... middling at best.

psilo
Oct 18, 2009

not sure if playerbase has been thinned or what's up but matchmaking been kinda sucky lately - lot of waiting for anything else than choosing random mission.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

DarkDobe posted:

Don't be fooled by it like I was: It's -very- specifically a 'debuff' not a status effect, so treat it accordingly.
That said it's great for mopping up reds/purps when built up with high enough weapon damage - but the gun itself is... middling at best.

It synergizes well with weapon damage LMG builds, but that is about it. You are correct

I say this as I usually main support DPS a True Pest build. But doesn't mean the gun is great

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Has there been an explanation of why we can't access the first mission in each WoNY area? Am I forgetting that they were all exposition with no bad guys present?

Also does anyone know the real name of Pathway Park so I can check it out when hellworld is over?

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

Also does anyone know the real name of Pathway Park so I can check it out when hellworld is over?
I have some bad news for you. Hellworld won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

Has there been an explanation of why we can't access the first mission in each WoNY area? Am I forgetting that they were all exposition with no bad guys present?

they were side missions like the base campaign side missions. They just become bounty locations and other activities after that, you can't retry them. The main missions are the 5 ones.