Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Everyone is here to have a good time and have fun playing Tom Clancy’s The Division 2: Long Division

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Summit seems to love to match me to either Floor 1-10 or Floor 100 and rarely in between. Is there a way to.....not.....do that?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

RevKrule posted:

Summit seems to love to match me to either Floor 1-10 or Floor 100 and rarely in between. Is there a way to.....not.....do that?

Nope!

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
I have a floor 69 CP

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Was there some sort of update over the last couple days? My game is extremely unstable now and when it does actually start up it will crash within minutes and I'm usually one of the lucky ones that avoids these things when they sweep through.

I've verified files, turned off the ubi connect overlay etc. How are crashes still this bad this late into this game lol

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Orange Carlisle posted:

Was there some sort of update over the last couple days? My game is extremely unstable now and when it does actually start up it will crash within minutes.
I've verified files, turned off the ubi connect overlay etc. How are crashes still this bad this late into this game lol
yeah they came with the last update, they said they're investigating etc. they became much rarer after I reinstalled but it still happens on occasion

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Roman posted:

yeah they came with the last update, they said they're investigating etc. they became much rarer after I reinstalled but it still happens on occasion

Thanks for the info. I may just reinstall since verifying seems to do nothing.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Division movie is still on for Netflix, same director as Dodgeball and Red Notice, still starring Jake Gyllenhaal And Jessica Chastain.

https://twitter.com/RawsonThurber/status/1365082919270715393

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Lol I'm actually probably gonna enjoy that movie ( I liked the shorts they made for the first game) but I wonder how many people are gonna think it's based off 2020 instead of a game from 2016.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Is there a guide for what to do once you hit level 40 for lovely babbys

I've been queueing for random matchmaking while soloing to level up my watch but it rarely puts me with anyone and basically I just want to know how to make number go up and guns get better

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Syrinxx posted:

Is there a guide for what to do once you hit level 40 for lovely babbys

Decide what kind of build you want to put together and then do whatever activities have the stuff you need as targeted loot that day. Also doing stuff on the highest difficulty you comfortably can, with as many directives as you can, because it levels your watch faster and improves the quality of the stat rolls on your gear.

It's been mentioned a million times, but a great starter build is 3x Empress, 2x Hana-U, 1x Wyvern Wear with an In Sync weapon (or the Test Subject AR, which has Perfect In Sync), running technician specialization and the attack drone/assault turret for skills. Skill damage on everything. Even without really optimized gear, this will basically slingshot you to Heroic difficulty. You can also run summit on whatever difficulty to knock out some easy challenges to get the Capacitor AR, which is a great exotic for skill builds.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

The problem with matchmaking now is that pretty much everyone playing is playing on Heroic, which doesn't really help anyone new. But once you get to that point it will be much much easier to match with random people.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
I think something like an anthology series based on some of the more interesting echoes would be cool. If the series is successful, then bring out a feature length film about April Kelleher or Shay Montgomery's journeys.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Is there a good resource for builds and drop locations? Youtube kinda helps but a lot of the info I look up seems outdated.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

There's no real build repository that is current like some other games have. Best thing to do other than asking here is go to the division subreddit and search "(whatever skill/exotic/set you wanna build around) build" and sort by most recent. There's also somebody there who posts the targeted loot map every day. Otherwise, you can see it in game by hitting up on the dpad while you're on the world map.

I don't think any of the exotics have specific drop locations anymore, aside from craftable and raid exotics.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

hamsystem posted:

Is there a good resource for builds and drop locations? Youtube kinda helps but a lot of the info I look up seems outdated.

This Google sheet has a lot of info on drops but not specifically on builds.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Ok thanks, that helps. Another noob question: is the stats on gear affected by difficulty level or does it just increase the drop chance?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

hamsystem posted:

Ok thanks, that helps. Another noob question: is the stats on gear affected by difficulty level or does it just increase the drop chance?

HIgher difficulty is better stats BUT not all the time. You'll deffo get something better than something that drops at Normal but it won't be maxed out. That's what the endgame is about.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Hulk Krogan posted:

I don't think any of the exotics have specific drop locations anymore, aside from craftable and raid exotics.

I think the Jefferson Trade Center boss (Coyote) still always has a chance of dropping the Coyote mask which is a pretty nice mask for any build.

When you're still in at Normal/Hard and moving to beat Challenging Ongoing Directive and Tip of the Spear are fun gear sets that are easy to get and build in the Survivalists spec. At those levels you can one shot purple enemies with the crossbow and heavy damage elites fairly easy.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

hamsystem posted:

Difficulty affects minimum stat rolls, roll ranges, rarity, as well as indirectly affecting drop frequency.

When an item drops and rolls for stats, there is a combined minimum stat quality for the item. The higher your base difficulty, the higher the minimum combined stat roll. There was a datamined reddit thread with numbers last year but I can't find it now, but the gist of it is that Normal difficulty uses the entire possible roll range, while the minimal quality increases with difficulty until Legendary is something like 85% rolls.

At the level 40 cap, item rarities are capped at mainly purples and high end (yellow) pieces, as well as Gear Set and Exotic which are considered separate tiers. Purples are less desirable than high ends because they have a lower maximum stat cap, and tend to roll with fewer stats than a yellow piece. You will see purple drops at level 40 except on Heroic and Challenging.

With the target loot feature, every activity will always guarantee 1 item that is whatever you're farming. Say you do a control point, or a hostage rescue, in a zone that drops rifles. Each activity upon completion will give you 1 rifle at random. Named enemies are guaranteed to also drop at least 1 item related to target loot. Non-named enemies have a chance at dropping target loot; this chance is higher with harder enemy types. Elite ranked enemies (yellow health bars) are most likely to drop loot. Increasing difficulty means more elite enemies, which indirectly affects drop rate. Increasing the player count will also increase the number of elite enemies; 4 player Heroic/Legendary will have the most generous drop rates. Directives (difficulty increasing modifiers) add a small flat bonus to drop rate but are generally more useful for XP grinding than for gathering more loot.

Where it gets a little more complicated are how item crates and caches work. Item crates inside of mission zones are affected by difficulty modifiers, so if you are playing a mission like Lincoln Memorial on Heroic every crate you open during it will have items with Heroic rolls. In the open world, however, crates are locked to normal difficulty regardless of what your global difficulty setting is. This means you will get purples an overwhelming amount of the time, and most people will tell you to ignore them. I've gotten some worthwhile pieces out of them, and there are so many in pretty easy to get to spots that it's usually not out of the way to open them, but you can do you.

On the flip side, caches are always locked to a specific difficulty for roll quality. Field caches (ones you get every time you level up) and Dark Zone/Conflict caches are always Heroic quality; clan caches, exotic caches and season caches (presumably this includes season specific caches as well as the named caches you can pull from events) are always Legendary quality. This remains the same regardless of any difficulty settings, so you do not get a better roll out of them by maxing out your difficulty just to open them.

Oh, and the Dark Zone always has item drops locked at Challenging difficulty. It used to be much better than that but all that poo poo was nerfed immediately and now nobody actually goes there to farm loot; just to gank noobs.

Hulk Krogan posted:

The original sources for exotics still exist, but yes, outside of the Raid exclusive exotics and the Capacitor, nothing is locked anywhere.

The upshot of this is now you can use this info stack the odds in your favour. Using the example of Coyote's mask, you can farm any where on the loot map that is marked as "mask" for that day, but to maximize your odds, you should farm the Jefferson Trade Center mission when it rolls masks for loot because the final boss is the original drop source. The gear sheet that was already linked above has a list of all the original sources for exotics.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 27, 2021

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

Difficulty affects minimum stat rolls, roll ranges, rarity, as well as indirectly affecting drop frequency.

When an item drops and rolls for stats, there is a combined minimum stat quality for the item. The higher your base difficulty, the higher the minimum combined stat roll. There was a datamined reddit thread with numbers last year but I can't find it now, but the gist of it is that Normal difficulty uses the entire possible roll range, while the minimal quality increases with difficulty until Legendary is something like 85% rolls.

At the level 40 cap, item rarities are capped at mainly purples and high end (yellow) pieces, as well as Gear Set and Exotic which are considered separate tiers. Purples are less desirable than high ends because they have a lower maximum stat cap, and tend to roll with fewer stats than a yellow piece. You will see purple drops at level 40 except on Heroic and Challenging.

With the target loot feature, every activity will always guarantee 1 item that is whatever you're farming. Say you do a control point, or a hostage rescue, in a zone that drops rifles. Each activity upon completion will give you 1 rifle at random. Named enemies are guaranteed to also drop at least 1 item related to target loot. Non-named enemies have a chance at dropping target loot; this chance is higher with harder enemy types. Elite ranked enemies (yellow health bars) are most likely to drop loot. Increasing difficulty means more elite enemies, which indirectly affects drop rate. Increasing the player count will also increase the number of elite enemies; 4 player Heroic/Legendary will have the most generous drop rates. Directives (difficulty increasing modifiers) add a small flat bonus to drop rate but are generally more useful for XP grinding than for gathering more loot.

Where it gets a little more complicated are how item crates and caches work. Item crates inside of mission zones are affected by difficulty modifiers, so if you are playing a mission like Lincoln Memorial on Heroic every crate you open during it will have items with Heroic rolls. In the open world, however, crates are locked to normal difficulty regardless of what your global difficulty setting is. This means you will get purples an overwhelming amount of the time, and most people will tell you to ignore them. I've gotten some worthwhile pieces out of them, and there are so many in pretty easy to get to spots that it's usually not out of the way to open them, but you can do you.

On the flip side, caches are always locked to a specific difficulty for roll quality. Field caches (ones you get every time you level up) and Dark Zone/Conflict caches are always Heroic quality; clan caches, exotic caches and season caches (presumably this includes season specific caches as well as the named caches you can pull from events) are always Legendary quality. This remains the same regardless of any difficulty settings, so you do not get a better roll out of them by maxing out your difficulty just to open them.

Oh, and the Dark Zone always has item drops locked at Challenging difficulty. It used to be much better than that but all that poo poo was nerfed immediately and now nobody actually goes there to farm loot; just to gank noobs.

The original sources for exotics still exist, but yes, outside of the Raid exclusive exotics and the Capacitor, nothing is locked anywhere.

The upshot of this is now you can stack the odds in your favour. Using the example of Coyote's mask, you can farm any where on the loot map that is marked as "mask" for that day, but to maximize your odds, you should farm the Jefferson Trade Center mission when it rolls masks for loot because the final boss is the original drop source. The gear sheet that was already linked above has a list of all the original sources for exotics.

This is a way better explanation but I wanted to add that Dark Zone has a few exclusive drops ie Orbital, The Gift, Hollow Man but none are absolutely essential.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah I wouldn't bother farming the Dark Zone for its exclusive items. The drop rates are awful, the roll quality is going to suck and you often run the risk of being ganked. It's much, much easier to farm for named caches when Global Events are active, though I am not a fan of the one running this week.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Yeah, I've gotten The Gift at least twice outside the DZ (Named Item caches, probably). Never a hint of Orbital of Hollow Man, though.

Might drop the world down to Normal to grind out some of Hollywood this weekend, but I'm not going to really work at it - it's just not as fun as Headsplosions, to say nothing of Golden Awesome Bullet.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Hulk Krogan posted:

You can also run summit on whatever difficulty to knock out some easy challenges to get the Capacitor AR, which is a great exotic for skill builds.

Hulk Krogan posted:

You can also run summit on whatever difficulty to knock out some easy challenges to get the Capacitor AR, which is a great exotic for skill builds.

Hulk Krogan posted:

Hulk Krogan posted:

This should be the first thing you do! I made an alt for the free optimization mats and have been lazy and not passing my capacitor through the vault and it’s so much worse running any tech build without one.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

UnknownMercenary posted:

When an item drops and rolls for stats, there is a combined minimum stat quality for the item. The higher your base difficulty, the higher the minimum combined stat roll.

See I want to believe something like this, then I force myself through a Heroic bounty, and then I get an item this low, and get really upset.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Morter posted:

See I want to believe something like this, then I force myself through a Heroic bounty, and then I get an item this low, and get really upset.

What's your global difficulty and did it drop from an enemy or did you get it from a crate?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Morter posted:

I’ve seen that occasionally myself but I’ve never noticed exactly where I got it from so I couldn’t really tell you anything specific. Might be a bug, or maybe a box that happened to be in the bounty area, or a random enemy that wandered by (and your world difficulty isn’t heroic).

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

skaianDestiny posted:

What's your global difficulty and did it drop from an enemy or did you get it from a crate?

Global difficulty is Challenging--I can breeze through that. But still, this is a Heroic bounty. What exactly takes priority? Global or Bounty?

Also, that dropped from one of the three bounty targets, directly.

Edit: And in case anyone wants validation: here's a clip of me killing them. We're in an enclosed room in a Heroic bounty. The drop you see on the right is the drop from my initial screenshot.

Heroic or even challenging, that's a BS drop.

Morter fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 27, 2021

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Morter posted:

This is a bug specific to bounties. They've tried but not successfully fixed it.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 27, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah that can happen sometimes and they never got to fix it. Still, heroic bounties are a great source of good targetted loot.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah it's also not a bug exclusive to Heroic, it happens on bounties of all difficulties. Just happens to be more noticeable on Heroic because of the loot roll design.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Ha ha, I was looking at the Gameplay footage of The Day Before and Youtube thought it was The Division

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHBInJ0H2Z0

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Different bug (that I've had before) today: just an Elite convoy (+2 on the map), Hollywood them up with a Magic Hate Ball build (3x Hardwired, 2x Rigger, 1x China whatever that buffs explosives; all mods for skill haste, everything was rolled to skill haste, multiball and Capacitor - maul the delivery crew, here come reinforcements!

Uhm.

OK, they're showing on the radar, there's visible carats showing there they are.

Trapped in the closet, because the doors didn't open. :v:

End up swapping to a Eclipse pack, Vile and pulse to wipe all three waves in that closet. :eng101:

Rollie Ball Murder worked OK in the streets, but not as fun as Div1. That Hwood challenge is done, so on to beating people to death with a shotgun in The Summit.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There’s a few spots where that basically always happens. If they’re close enough to the wall then the oxidizer chem also works.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

BexGu posted:

Ha ha, I was looking at the Gameplay footage of The Day Before and Youtube thought it was The Division

What in the world

Edit: Oh, it's a MMO. There goes my interest.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

BexGu posted:

Orange Carlisle posted:

What in the world

Edit: Oh, it's a MMO. There goes my interest.

Saw this on the official trailer:

"Tom Clancy's State of Decayvision of Us"

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I couldn't figure out if its a WoW MMO or a Division 2 "MMO".

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

If it was legit going to just be a division clone I probably would have bought it

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

BexGu posted:

I couldn't figure out if its a WoW MMO or a Division 2 "MMO".

This is the part that I'm wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Orange Carlisle posted:

If it was legit going to just be a division clone I probably would have bought it

I know right? A fun rump through the city which looks like a expanded survival mode with the added danger of dealing with zombies for making too much noise. But I still have no idea what the actual game is gonna be like.