Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

UnknownMercenary posted:

Peak Strikers is 0.65 damage per stack ^ 100 but they changed the formula on HB to additive so it's just a flat 100% bonus.
0.65^100 is 91%, which is still less than the 100% from HB though (the HB damage bonus is still multiplicative, the boost is just not exponential anymore).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Insert name here posted:

0.65^100 is 91%, which is still less than the 100% from HB though (the HB damage bonus is still multiplicative, the boost is just not exponential anymore).

Isn't 0.65 per stack (100 stacks with both pieces) just a straight 65%? Or how does it work?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Guillermus posted:

Isn't 0.65 per stack (100 stacks with both pieces) just a straight 65%? Or how does it work?
The Strikers (and pre-nerf HB) boost is exponential, so it's not .65%*100 but rather .65^100, or 1.0065*1.0065*1.0065 (repeated 100 times). This means instead of ending up at 65% extra damage, you end up with around 91% damage. This is what made old HB so broken, as that advertised 100% damage boost at max stacks was actually about 170%.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Guillermus posted:

I prefer the MK16 (SCAR H) or ACR for slower weapons.

I like the tac mk16 just because it looks insanely high speed low drag, but the Ak is the slowest shooting one so gets the most uptime on strained.

At this point with power creep who the hell cares lol, go for looking bad rear end. The black market ak is pretty cool for that though

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

I like the tac mk16 just because it looks insanely high speed low drag, but the Ak is the slowest shooting one so gets the most uptime on strained.

At this point with power creep who the hell cares lol, go for looking bad rear end. The black market ak is pretty cool for that though

Oh yeah for strained time the UMP deals massive damage too. But since most of the time I use focus with my negotiator set, I use the ACR for the range and handling (and I like how it looks too).

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
How is this for a new player just getting started? Never had the ability to play this until now.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Target Practice posted:

How is this for a new player just getting started? Never had the ability to play this until now.

Depends what you mean? Everything except the hardest and most complicated end game stuff that’s designed for multiple people can be done solo with a little effort. The first time you do a mission it’s also locked to story difficulty so it’s always fairly simple.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My friend and I have been having a good time going through the tower even if it's repetitive as hell. It's just quick rapid fire battles with good loot and the directives aren't so bad either so we're working on the challenges. I finally looted the Vile mask tonight; it's just so much fun taking out one guy with a sticky flare and seeing the whole room light up with rapidly decreasing health bars.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Kibayasu posted:

Depends what you mean? Everything except the hardest and most complicated end game stuff that’s designed for multiple people can be done solo with a little effort. The first time you do a mission it’s also locked to story difficulty so it’s always fairly simple.

Well I like playing stuff like this coop with people. Is there anything that I can do with goons out of the gate or do I have to grind to access what most of you people play?

Target Practice fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 17, 2022

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Target Practice posted:

Well I like playing stuff like this coop with people. Is there anything that I can do with goons out of the gate or do I have to grind to access what most of you people play?

In that case the real problem would probably be the lack of people :v: There hasn't been a lot of people playing very often for a while now.

If someone at the end of the game was to join you I believe things would scale (most likely you would be scaled up to them) but your world would still be locked to the first time difficulty so anybody with gear meant for the hardest difficulty would blow right through it.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I never been in a busy clan, they all have 50 members but 4 or 5 regulars online. The matchmaking system is usually very quick though, and if you use the call for backup you’ll get help quickly with anything kicking your rear end. Just don’t forget to endorse the guy when you’re done!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Target Practice posted:

Post your username for whatever platform you play on. People here will add you and help out with whatever you need.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I decided against building a Striker set and am sticking with HB for now.

I’m using the knees, gloves, backpack and holster. I’m using a Closer chest as it gives an additional 20% damage to pulsed enemies so works well with the laser pointer on the ACR (I went back and tried the KB AR but it looks poo poo and didn’t feel as stable).

Also using Coyotes mask for the crit chance and damage.

If I were to use the HB mask instead what would be a good item to swap out in the loadout? Keep the backpack I assume for the armour stacks.

The coyotes mask gives 15% weapon damage and I wouldn’t want to lose that really.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
How long is the Captain Lewis manhunt mission available for? Is it considered part of "Target: Major Xander" ending tonight, or does it remain available for the rest of the season if you've taken down the 4 main targets?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Minidust posted:

How long is the Captain Lewis manhunt mission available for? Is it considered part of "Target: Major Xander" ending tonight, or does it remain available for the rest of the season if you've taken down the 4 main targets?

As soon as they’re unlocked all subtargets and the main target are available for the rest of the season. The only thing ending tonight for the Xander part is the double experience bonus. After you complete the manhunt’s final mission you can even reset all the targets if you want. There’s no big reason to do so but it would get you another Bluescreen for beating the final mission again.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

The Lewis mission is pretty good, and I didn’t see the twist coming. The wider story though… it’s like the platonic ideal of an Idiot Plot, where we could have resolved all this long ago if anyone ever actually talked to each other.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Kibayasu posted:

As soon as they’re unlocked all subtargets and the main target are available for the rest of the season. The only thing ending tonight for the Xander part is the double experience bonus. After you complete the manhunt’s final mission you can even reset all the targets if you want. There’s no big reason to do so but it would get you another Bluescreen for beating the final mission again.
You can actually reset the manhunt at any time, which is handy if you wish to hit the secondary targets repeatedly for their named item drop since they can drop DZ-exclusive items*; it's probably slower than numbing your mind doing infinite countdown runs for currency to buy named caches but variety is always good.

*You'll never get them of course, but it's technically possible!

monkeytennis posted:

I decided against building a Striker set and am sticking with HB for now.

I’m using the knees, gloves, backpack and holster. I’m using a Closer chest as it gives an additional 20% damage to pulsed enemies so works well with the laser pointer on the ACR (I went back and tried the KB AR but it looks poo poo and didn’t feel as stable).

Also using Coyotes mask for the crit chance and damage.

If I were to use the HB mask instead what would be a good item to swap out in the loadout? Keep the backpack I assume for the armour stacks.

The coyotes mask gives 15% weapon damage and I wouldn’t want to lose that really.
I'd swap in a backpack with vigilance personally, unless you're really attached to that extra armour the HB backpack gives you. Coyotes works really well on HB though so don't feel bad about running it if that's what you want to run.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Insert name here posted:

You can actually reset the manhunt at any time, which is handy if you wish to hit the secondary targets repeatedly for their named item drop since they can drop DZ-exclusive items*; it's probably slower than numbing your mind doing infinite countdown runs for currency to buy named caches but variety is always good.

*You'll never get them of course, but it's technically possible!

This only works with getting DZ items that were added from Y2 onward. It won't work with legacy stuff like The Apartment, Deathgrips, etc. It's also incredibly time consuming, though much less so ever since they revamped manhunts with season 9.

Named caches are still better if you want a shot at everything in the whole named item pool.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I may reinstall this. Whats a popular trait to go for on slower firing ARs like the Mk16 etc? IIRC I was red build and dece dps from gun but negligible skill damage and I will probably do the same again if still valid.

Are rifle red builds still suboptimal for pve content? Or are they pretty fine atm

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 18, 2022

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Dandywalken posted:

I may reinstall this. Whats a popular trait to go for on slower firing ARs like the Mk16 etc? IIRC I was red build and dece dps from gun but negligible skill damage and I will probably do the same again if still valid.

Are rifle red builds still suboptimal for pve content? Or are they pretty fine atm

Strained (gotta build into chc) and ranger

Red rifle builds are of course viable, though focus ar might be better(?)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Good poo poo, glad to hear it. ty!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Glad to see I was away two weeks and the game still crashes randomly. Is there any (at least somehow effective) fix? I tried the sound thing and another posted in here with no luck.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Using both the Windows exception bypass and the sound fix has worked for me. Using just one or the other I could still get random crashes, but combining both fixes stopped 99% of the crashing for me.

If you can wait a little longer, the next patch that's supposed to come with the new apparel event is supposed to fix the crashing issues. It's not due until August 5th IIRC.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

UnknownMercenary posted:

Using both the Windows exception bypass and the sound fix has worked for me. Using just one or the other I could still get random crashes, but combining both fixes stopped 99% of the crashing for me.

If you can wait a little longer, the next patch that's supposed to come with the new apparel event is supposed to fix the crashing issues. It's not due until August 5th IIRC.

I did both fixed and still have random crashes, like one day I crash every 5 or 20 minutes and the other can play perfectly for 2 hours. It's supper annoying because I always crash when I'm fighting a named or whatever bounty I have to redo all over again.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Pc gaming rules glad everyone is enjoying it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's funny because I haven't had any crashes in the past week but I just realized my friend and I have been almost exclusively working our way through the tower for that whole time so almost no time was spent out in the open world.

Been using Vile mask, Golan Knees, EP everything else with the Scorpio Shotgun, using Firewall so I can have the shield and having a real good time pressing groups while my friend follows behind me to get the buff. Any adjustments that could make this work better? I kinda liked the backpack with Creeping Death so I didn't necessarily have to kill to spread the effect around but also it's not that hard rushing in to get a kill and spread the DOT's to everyone around me. Looking up info about builds for this game sucks because most of the information is wildly outdated.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So any tips on bits for a shotgun using build ? Something I can put in my loadouts so every so often when I need to blow off steam I can blow off virtual faces.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Having done the sound thing and the exception thing, dropping all my settings to medium, disabling DX12 and a thousand other things, the last thing I did was turn off the in game overlay, which seems to have helped (anecdotally).

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

MREBoy posted:

So any tips on bits for a shotgun using build ? Something I can put in my loadouts so every so often when I need to blow off steam I can blow off virtual faces.

My old effortpost on this subject still somewhat applies.

Obviously the Intimdate nerf hit this setup particularly hard, but it can still do work if you play more carefully, and you can't be as reliant on the Firewall shield any more because you don't have the burst damage to keep it alive in messy situations.

If you don't want to mess around with Intimidate, you can substitute it for Spotter/Perfect Spotter on the chestplate. Swap out Pummel for Flatline on your shotgun, and change class to Technician and make use of the spotting laser. You'll get burst damage along with more consistent overall DPS, but lower damage peaks. If you want to go all in on damage, you can change the backpack talent to something like Vigilance but in my experience it's not as useful up close where you'll be constantly taking hits. The bonus skill tier that Technician grants you doesn't really make a huge difference to shield health, so you'll still be relying on a more hit and run style of play.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MREBoy posted:

I've found shotgun's usefulness is generally limited to missions which do a couple of things: force everyone closer together (though not even all missions do that) and have more red/purple enemies rather than that all elites which you can see in the open world. It used to be dead easy (in concept) for shotguns - Intimidate on a chest piece, Adrenaline Rush on the backpack, Hunter's Fury set in mask/holster/gloves/knees, Pummel on a pump action shotgun (but also maybe the Six12. Chest/Backpack brand was your choice as long as it was doing something for your guns - Ceska if you need more critical chance, Grupo if you need more critical damage, Badger if you want a bit more base damage.

That build can still work but Intimidate got changed completely last patch so you don't get a huge boost in immediately available burst damage any more and losing all bonus armor removes all damage immediately so you're always at risk of losing everything.

At this moment I'd probably say you would want to stick with the same general set-up as far as slots, brands, and gear set goes but change up the weapon and armor talents to go all in on damage.

For the backpack Unstoppable Force is a dead simple damage talent on the backpack which just requires you to keep killing things. Opportunistic is another simple damage option but that requires you to hit every single target at least twice to get the bonus damage - unless I'm mistaken you'd have to hit something once to apply the debuff then hit it again to get the bonus damage and reapply the debuff. There is an argument to keep using Adrenaline Rush because since you have to be close anyways you'll hopefully always be getting the bonus armor and that can really help you survive when you're close.

For the chest you're kind of limited to going full crazy and using Glass Cannon or combining Spotter with the new weapon talent Flatline and the Technician's specialization laser, which pulses whatever you point at. Spotter gives you bonus damage to pulsed targets, Flatline give you bonus damage to pulsed targets, the laser pulses them. There's also the Perfect Spotter chest which gives 5% more damage than the regular Spotter but I don't know if the numbers work out in its favour compared to boosting your critical chance/damage/weapon damage with another brand since the Perfect Spotter brand (Uzina Getica) has 5% armor in its first brand slot bonus instead of something that boosts damage. Uzina also rolls Armor in its core attribute so on top of getting a Named item to drop you'd also have to get an extremely lucky roll of its minor attributes being critical chance and critical damage to let you reroll the core to Weapon Damage.

In conclusion it unfortunately takes a lot of effort to make shotguns work in this game.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

We flew too close to the sun, so they had to nerf it into the ground. See also: AA12 and the Heartbreaker set.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I always have a Scorpio in my second weapon slot on most of my builds. It's the go to for hunters/rogues. It's great for normal enemies if you need some breathing room to grab some cover or reload your primary as well.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’d say it’s too good, really. I can’t justify not having it for locking down unexpected trouble.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Kibayasu posted:

ahh that's good then, much less restrictive than I thought! Thanks :cheers:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ok these crashes are pretty ridiculous lol

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
Yeah it's been weird for me. I made the Exploit Protection configuration changes from this video a couple weeks ago and it mitigated the issue quite a bit, but sometimes I'll get multiple crashes in one mission all of a sudden.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ill try that, thanks. Atm this isnt really playable.

EDIT: That seems to have fixed it.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 22, 2022

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Had some Contractors Gloves drop from a cache. I’ve seen lots of people rave about them but they’re for LMG users I think? What’s the advantage of these?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a reason this ain’t on steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

monkeytennis posted:

Had some Contractors Gloves drop from a cache. I’ve seen lots of people rave about them but they’re for LMG users I think? What’s the advantage of these?

Damage to armour is multiplicative rather than additive, making it more bang for your buck in most instances, and it doesn’t usually appear on gear, just weapons. You’ll be fighting a lot of stuff with armour.