Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

tweet my meat posted:

Wait they're seriously reverting the m1a nerf? Why the gently caress would they do that? That thing was completely busted in pve and will continue to stifle dps build diversity as long as it exists unnerfed.

If they want to stimulate PvE builds the way to do that is to either buff other skills or weapons or rebalance the NPCs at the same time as nerfing m14 to be in line with the other guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Cyrano4747 posted:

If they want to stimulate PvE builds the way to do that is to either buff other skills or weapons or rebalance the NPCs at the same time as nerfing m14 to be in line with the other guns.

They said they were planning to but I guess those buffs didn't make it in in time for the title update.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

They need to do a complete balance pass to enemy damage/health, player armor/health, weapons and brands. Killing the M1A was killing the only weapon that was in line with the current TTBK and let players do content with the current busted enemy balance. The M1A will get a nerf but I hope they do a buff to everything else too.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The m1a is far from the only option that is viable for comfortably doing high level content, it's just better than every other viable option so nobody ever uses anything else. There was nothing about the m1a that was in line with anything.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Of course you can do high level content with other weapons. My most used weapon the last few weeks is a Mozambique Specialstrained RPK and some other weapons are useful. The M1A is the "gently caress this poo poo" button that everyone has handy. And yes, the M1A was in line with anything because there is no balanced content for what we can use right now.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
further proof massive can't communicate with themselves, much less us, check

also I recalibrated my EB to level 40 perfect rolls and ran a few missions and bounties last night and I don't intend on bringing my M1A back out. I get incredibly large crit numbers and am back using my preferred archetype. Feels good!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The npc balance still needs some changes for sure, but I think most people in the community blow it way out of proportion because they want to run all red glass cannons and be durable too. I tend to run a few armor attributes on my builds and try to make sure we have a tardigrade on the team, which keeps things pretty comfortable, even on legendary to an extent.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

tweet my meat posted:

The npc balance still needs some changes for sure, but I think most people in the community blow it way out of proportion because they want to run all red glass cannons and be durable too. I tend to run a few armor attributes on my builds and try to make sure we have a tardigrade on the team, which keeps things pretty comfortable, even on legendary to an extent.

I dunno if it's because of wanting to run glass cannon but out of proportion absolutely. There are several people in this thread who shitpost routinely but if you ask them on discord or somewhere they have well-reasoned, logical arguments and are more than willing to discuss pros and cons and do so really well. Like, some of the most reasonable conversation I've ever seen about game balance?

I think there's just something about the thread which is a magnet for venting that bad post urge

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

tweet my meat posted:

Wait they're seriously reverting the m1a nerf? Why the gently caress would they do that? That thing was completely busted in pve and will continue to stifle dps build diversity as long as it exists unnerfed.

Good lol

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

tweet my meat posted:

I think a big part of it is the divide between mostly solo and mostly group players. If you solo you need a build that can take care of itself and do content in a reasonable amount of time. Right now the red builds are popular for that although there are options. If you really only run in groups it’s a lot easier to get comfortable with a support build.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Fabricated posted:

I'm not sure why they seem so dead set on making the enemies spongy to the point that for it to not feel like poo poo you have to run full glass cannon. Who loving cares if the game is easier if it encourages more build variety?

Because player power fantasy is bad. Now hold up as I drop this can of mountain dew at my feet to repair a SAPI plate.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

tweet my meat posted:

NPCs could use another, slight tune down. 5% across the board, maybe 10%. Remember, during year 1, they did 2 reductions for 10% each and it ended up being too much. We've already gotten a 10% reduction on everything below Heroic, while Heroic and Legendary have only gotten group scaling adjustments. This would help mitigate their BIS item nerfs (I'm honestly surprised this didn't happen anyway) and also make shooting your gun as a non-reds build a little more viable. When I run status effects for the team it feels like a total waste of ammo.

I'm very much of the school of "I don't mind being killed fast if I can kill the enemy fast too", but they also need to figure out how to make tank builds viable without reliance on the shield.

The M1A Classic was stupid and has been stupid since TU6; it only even became relevant because of how warped NPCs got with WONY, and a 20% nerf across the board is probably fine. They should bring up the M1A SOCOM and M1A CQB closer to the wherever the Classic eventually ends up.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
When I play as a status build, I cringe whenever I play with non glass-cannon or focus using DPS because the mission becomes a serious slog. Mind you these are not fresh from hitting level 40 agents but lvl 300+ with gear that's near or at full damage rolls on every piece, yet they still have issues killing mobs I've blinded or foamed before the duration runs out. This is on top of fighting my own skills, especially firefly which seems to have reverted back to its old behavior of self-destructing for...reasons.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Olds posted:

When I play as a status build, I cringe whenever I play with non glass-cannon or focus using DPS because the mission becomes a serious slog. Mind you these are not fresh from hitting level 40 agents but lvl 300+ with gear that's near or at full damage rolls on every piece, yet they still have issues killing mobs I've blinded or foamed before the duration runs out. This is on top of fighting my own skills, especially firefly which seems to have reverted back to its old behavior of self-destructing for...reasons.

I was playing my healer build and joined with 3 randos on a challenging mission and it was a lot harder for us to get through. I tried to keep everyone topped up but it was like trying to herd cats. I don't know. If you jumped into a random mission and saw a ridiculous radius on a Hive, would you stay in it? Also there was a shield player that I guess did not have it optimised properly because he kept getting downed.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Olds posted:

The reality is that despite "everyone" knowing about the M1A meta, there are a whole cadre of players that have never followed what's hot or watch youtubers, and run what they think works ( or if they're like me they're experimenting with off meta builds because they don't want to run the current hotness that are more likely to get nerfed as it gains popularity ). Also SHD levels should never be used as a gauge of knowledge or experience - a lot of people out there are just dumb or have the opinion that their build is awesome, it's the other players in the group who are bad.

All that said, I feel you, I do know your pain.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

Olds posted:

One time I ran blinder on a Heroic mission and the dps was so bad that my CC just ended up wiping us constantly because blinded enemy AI is hosed; they all still relentlessly advance towards you, rolling/vaulting/diving/climbing over every obstacle until they completely surround you. When blind finally wore off they'd all be in flanking positions and 1 shot everyone.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

ZombyDog posted:

The reality is that despite "everyone" knowing about the M1A meta, there are a whole cadre of players that have never followed what's hot or watch youtubers, and run what they think works ( or if they're like me they're experimenting with off meta builds because they don't want to run the current hotness that are more likely to get nerfed as it gains popularity ). Also SHD levels should never be used as a gauge of knowledge or experience - a lot of people out there are just dumb or have the opinion that their build is awesome, it's the other players in the group who are bad.

All that said, I feel you, I do know your pain.

I'm for trying different stuff out, especially post-nerf. To be frank, I got bored of the M1A and was glad it got nerfed (in anticipation for for some gun buffs or enemy nerfs which did come partially). However please consider your suffering support teammates. If I blind the entire wave for 12 seconds and the DPS fails to kill the wave, everyone is miserable. I'm usually loathe to tell players how to "play" their role but frankly the environment is pushing me to it; I can't make up for our DPS deficiency by my own action when my rifle headshots top out at a piddling 300k.

One of my longstanding gripes since they announced a move toward hard roles is the lack of a proper LFG function; not being able to filter for supports or tanks is very much at odds with their intended purpose of pushing "proper" team comps. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had a PUG tank or support agent; it doesn't surprise me most pugs don't know how to work with a healer when they most likely haven't run into one before. In my opinion, it leads to a vicious cycle where support and tank players don't want to PUG and everyone as a result just plays DPS, which leads to most PUGs not understanding how to work with support builds. It's bad enough when I play support, I'm fighting my skills more than the enemy or when I play tank, I'm fighting the onset of carpal tunnel; it's even worse when there's one blinded red enemy left hiding in cover, and none of the DPS wants to run up to him and finish him off.

Carew posted:

One time I ran blinder on a Heroic mission and the dps was so bad that my CC just ended up wiping us constantly because blinded enemy AI is hosed; they all still relentlessly advance towards you, rolling/vaulting/diving/climbing over every obstacle until they completely surround you. When blind finally wore off they'd all be in flanking positions and 1 shot everyone.

The first time I ran my blinder build, I blinded the entire first wave of Stranded Tanker, and someone died...while the enemies were still blinded. I also had to solo the sniper named boss at the end of Invaded Space Admin HQ as a no damage support. Not fun.

Olds fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 23, 2020

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Tank support builds can be run pretty comfortably in a PUG, but yeah, trying to play a healer/cc build in PUGs is miserable. Honestly you kinda just have to be good at networking so you can find a good group of players that you can party up with.

I love the shift to well defined roles, but it's definitely not a matchmaking system built with them in mind.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

Olds posted:

The first time I ran my blinder build, I blinded the entire first wave of Stranded Tanker, and someone died...while the enemies were still blinded. I also had to solo the sniper named boss at the end of Invaded Space Admin HQ as a no damage support. Not fun.

Blinded tanks are incredibly buggy and are still capable of unloading on people with 100% accuracy. Minigun tanks will single wield their massive gun and mow everyone down while the gun model is pointing towards the ground and grenade launcher tanks will spam grenades nonstop.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
tbh if cM1A damage nerf wasn't so much (considering its RPM) as well as npc being annoying at times (suppressed/shotgun accuracy, flame going through cover and far, etc) was addressed, it wouldn't have been bad. No idea why some players would think agents have to be terminators, but the balance isn't there either.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

tweet my meat posted:

Tank support builds can be run pretty comfortably in a PUG, but yeah, trying to play a healer/cc build in PUGs is miserable. Honestly you kinda just have to be good at networking so you can find a good group of players that you can party up with.

I love the shift to well defined roles, but it's definitely not a matchmaking system built with them in mind.

When I PUG as a tank, more often than not, my patience (and my hand) breaks before my shield does. I'm getting too old to be clicking this much!

Carew posted:

Blinded tanks are incredibly buggy and are still capable of unloading on people with 100% accuracy. Minigun tanks will single wield their massive gun and mow everyone down while the gun model is pointing towards the ground and grenade launcher tanks will spam grenades nonstop.

While that didn't happen in this case (not sure what killed him, maybe one enemy deep inside I didn't blind perhaps? still stupid he died), I have noticed this blinded heavy behavior happening with increased frequency. Just add it to the pile of never ending annoyances that comes with the joy of playing a status build unfortunately.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
New changes are all good, but I wish Aces and Eights would drop at some point.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
On my wishlist of things for this game is a proper ping system. There's nothing quite like the frustration of tanking a Cleaner tank while 3 DPS players wail away fruitlessly at him, and the whole time I'm screaming in my head "SHOOT THE SMALL TANK ON THE BACK" only to have to pop the drat thing myself because I couldn't communicate the thought to my team telepathically.

In case you are one of those DPS players:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7wDdKNuKcI

Olds fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 23, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Once I discovered this game had text to speech it has been great.
I just wish more people used the discord voice channels.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've been tooling around with the reworked gear 2.0 Aces and 8's set now that I don't have to run the raid for a chestpiece or backpack and my biggest takeaway from my experiments is that gear 1.0 Aces and 8's was a really fun gearset.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

90 minute maintenance tomorrow

M1A Classic/Baker's Dozen Rifle Rebalance
- Reverted 40% damage reduction.
- 20% damage reduction in PvP
Fixed an issue with players not being able to attack generators and blocking mission progression.
Fixed an issue causing all Turret skill variants to fail on thrown deployment with the Cool Skills Directive activated.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm just finishing up DC, and haven't seen an M1A drop since lvl 22. So I rock a Mark 17, which at least has a decent ammo capacity.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

At that level you don’t really need to worry about anything in the patch notes.

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020

mllaneza posted:

I'm just finishing up DC, and haven't seen an M1A drop since lvl 22. So I rock a Mark 17, which at least has a decent ammo capacity.

Love the bakers dozen, when in cover only bullets that hit a target are consumed. Can run a mission and use maybe 80-100 bullets haha

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Deacon91 posted:

Love the bakers dozen, when in cover only bullets that hit a target are consumed. Can run a mission and use maybe 80-100 bullets haha

Yeah, it’s handy for the limited ammo directive.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The way CC works is definitely weird and hosed up. Disorient/Riot Foam are the only CC that feel like they work right. Enemies flinch then stagger slowly in a random direction for disorient, and foam locks them in place.

Blind feels like all it does is prevent enemies from using skills, and their movement AI moves like normal. So a dude will get blinded and after the initial flinch will literally just move like they aren't blinded and their AI is working normally except they don't use skills or shoot (generally). You get that poo poo someone mentioned where you'll blind a full group of guys and they'll just run around vaulting over everything to flank your group while screaming that they can't see. The AI also behaves hilariously when you can abuse its ninja-like ability to instantly dodge out of grenades/CC/AOEs. If you blanket all available cover in high-tier corrosive spam you can get NPCS to literally spend the entire time rolling from corrosive cloud to corrosive cloud.

I think each CC should invoke more distinct/specific AI behavior. Foam is just actual hard CC on a timer, disorient makes them stagger in a random direction slowly (being easy to hit, since disorient does no damage itself), fire makes them run in a random direction QUICKLY (thus making them a bit harder to hit since you're getting the benefit of it doing damage too), and I think Blind should do something like force the AI to retreat relative to the position of you and your group. If you're going to have multiple kinds of CC in a game they probably should have different strategic uses too instead of just different durations/animations and a DOT maybe. Use blinds to push back aggressive enemies like heavies/rogue agents/rushers, fire to scatter enemies out of cover, disorient to slow big groups, foam to just turn individual or tightly clumped enemies into bullet backstops temporarily, etc.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 23, 2020

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Here is a dumb question... Why not have PVP use entirely different gear with different balance? Like you enter the airlock, and swap out your clean gear for dirty gear only for use in the DZ.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Here is a dumb question... Why not have PVP use entirely different gear with different balance? Like you enter the airlock, and swap out your clean gear for dirty gear only for use in the DZ.

probably, and I'm talking out of my rear end here, it takes more effort and money to come up with a different set of art assets and a different PVP balance team than it does to use the same assets to just adjust the numbers.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

They have a lot of PVP-specific balance in place already, and are much better at using PVP-specific balance changes than they were in Division 1 but, obviously, still need some work there

also the idea of forcing someone to play PVP to even get PVP gear is a total non-starter for any loot game, much less this one. and then how do you handle mixed pvp/pve zones? nah, that's not worth it

better for them to concentrate on same gear, separate balance and just be more careful with pushing changes to the master branch, imo

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Wamdoodle posted:

probably, and I'm talking out of my rear end here, it takes more effort and money to come up with a different set of art assets and a different PVP balance team than it does to use the same assets to just adjust the numbers.

I was thinking more like D1 survival, same assets, they are just in the Dark Zone sandbox, and cannot be used outside of it. I hear what you're saying, even if you were being a sassy butt about it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The way I see it the best way to handle PVP from the beginning, as in Division 1, would have been to utilize the “contamination” gimmick to build a system that has players select pre-built armor pieces and weapons that they can mix and match freely but are completely separate from PVE gear. Anything you pull from the DZ would also be for PVE only. That way the developers are basically entirely in control of what can be used as PVP gear. You could throw in a side-grade system for attributes or talents or whatever.

Does it make much sense that gear inside the DZ can be brought out and be turned into PVE gear but you can’t bring PVE gear in? No, but it’s a video game.

That said an additional twist could be that you actually could bring in higher power PVE gear but as soon as you did it becomes PVP only and if you die in your PVE-turned-PVP gear it’s gone forever. Or it’s dropped to be extracted like regular loot but marked special loot and then those that killed you, which might be people from different groups, can fight over it.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

The way I see it the best way to handle PVP from the beginning, as in Division 1, would have been to utilize the “contamination” gimmick to build a system that has players select pre-built armor pieces and weapons that they can mix and match freely but are completely separate from PVE gear. Anything you pull from the DZ would also be for PVE only. That way the developers are basically entirely in control of what can be used as PVP gear. You could throw in a side-grade system for attributes or talents or whatever.

Does it make much sense that gear inside the DZ can be brought out and be turned into PVE gear but you can’t bring PVE gear in? No, but it’s a video game.

That said an additional twist could be that you actually could bring in higher power PVE gear but as soon as you did it becomes PVP only and if you die in your PVE-turned-PVP gear it’s gone forever. Or it’s dropped to be extracted like regular loot but marked special loot and then those that killed you, which might be people from different groups, can fight over it.

Wow. You put some actual thought into this. Obviously you don't understand AAA game development.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Kibayasu posted:

This is what I was kinda thinking, but couldn't properly articulate. Thanks!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I was thinking more like D1 survival, same assets, they are just in the Dark Zone sandbox, and cannot be used outside of it. I hear what you're saying, even if you were being a sassy butt about it.

I actually wasn't but go on.

PS: NOW I'm being a sassy butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I found this just in time for the M1A nerf :v:

Hopefully they actually do revert it

Frustrated posted:

The new notes might as well read Classic M1A removed from game. It feels like a well rolled Bulletking gunner build might be one of the better red builds now.

On the bright side the drone doesnt instantly get smashed by elites anymore at higher difficulties. My striker drone / turret build felt a lot stronger and it made doing a lvl 4 control point super simple. It's not the fastest, but it's probably the safest way to play now that it works.

I was using heal hive/turret for a long time but after reading this I gave striker drone/turret a try and it works a lot better. I can't be so casual about taking damage but the added DPS from the drone at +6 skill is really good, plus it draws a lot of fire away from me so I take less damage to begin with.