Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't

UnknownMercenary posted:

- Thieves' Den is gone. I was wondering how they would fix that when they were removing Grey Rogue; turns out that whole system is gone completely.

Out of all the changes they've made so far, the DZ alterations still remain to me the most questionable. Like decreasing the importance of NPCS and essentially forcing a player encounter every extract.

I still think the venial sin versus mortal sin push-pull of the DZs with the gray status was an interesting idea, along with playing what's essentially a third person stealth game against humans if you were just trying to check into the vendor or steal the occasional box.

Considering how much they dropped the ball thematically in this game, I think they could have leaned into showing what a jerk you are when stealing supply crates by including open world trinkets like the teddy bears and such.

A trailer indicated bonuses for "helping players" as well as everyone just shooting each other, so I'll be curious how they'll walk the line. If everyone just kills each other all the time, they're not even doing a good job cloning Kane and Lynch 2's multiplayer.

I'm not someone who thinks the mechanics of Div1 deserve the rose tinted glasses many give it, but I'm still curious the need to force changes here when the original never considered it. If anything, they continued making exploring the DZ space more and more rewarding and fruitful with time in the prior game.

I get this sinking feeling some of their whiniest critics will still complain when they find a lack of people to farm since loot's essentially flat across the board now. I don't mind being a juicy target since I'm bad at murder (maybe the new system will change that), but kinda bummed they took away the gray rouge style I got used to playing with.

Admitted this is all moot anyways when it appears their focus remains on co-op expansions and landmasses, which is still good stuff despite the year one missions being fairly tepid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't
Buildcrafting questions if anyone has the hot scoop.

Is pulse now considered a formal status effect like fire/shock/etc since so many points can counter it or it just "pulse," a nebulous concept like always?

Asking because I'm starting to map out some general build ideas and I'm definitely going to recreate a version of the powerful pulse I ran before, primarily for pve. If it is, Wicked seems like a good pick for a perk but otherwise there's probably something better to run.

Looking over the reworks I might go for a Tip of the Spear 4 piece built around sharphooter and a rifle. Since I assume the chest/backpack are still raid limited, this does open up for two overlord pieces combined with Unstoppable Force and either braced or gunslinger. Seems like a good way to make a stable pve rifle build setup with either an smg or shotgun for close range clean up or last stands.

I'll eventually look into pvp setups at some point, but those new ninja bike kneepad exotics seems like an ideal pick if they let you abuse the "tap against cover/quickly pull out" mechanic for reloads in the DZ.

LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't

Roman posted:

Looks like I'm not the only one having issues matchmaking for random missions and random bounties. If you are too please bump this ubi thread, it's a new issue.

https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/2198658-matchmaking

Quick question on your issue. Is it the fact there's no way to open the party to others and join you vs. opting into a specific activity at its start?

I found there's no privacy features or anything else I could find to "open up" to others during a mission or bounty short of the call for backup feature. Sucks for activities like running in the open world and getting a heroic bounty I might want backup for.

I can opt in right at the start, but once a mission begins you're SOL.

Maybe it's because I have my voice and the DZ allchat off?

That said, I like the idea of the call for backup as the main way to find others since it's a fun and thematic way to matchmake, I just wish more than one other moron with a gun showed up.

LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't
Bummer. I have the same issue and was hoping you might have another step I missed since when I click matchmake it always forces joining others.

LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't

Kibayasu posted:

...but they disabled that because resetting difficulty was also resetting progress if you had already finished the manhunt.

Question on this. Finished the hunt, upped the difficulty to try something, then saw all the pips were empty and the progress at 0% but had the "Replay" text over the rogue portrait. I've seen them talk about said progress counting in other posts elsewhere, but did I get the short end of the stick? Seeing it really sucked the wind out of my sails from continuing to play.

LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't
The Lady Death is strictly an open world, SMG targeted drop now right?
Wasn't sure if I needed it from an NYC first before getting it in DC. I also assume it won't appear in a exotic crate until I find it in the world.

Normally I'd just grind but so much info on the old exotics has been outdated in every guide.

Really enjoyed Div1, kinda tepid on where they took this one. Bummed we're not likely going to see a third for a while, even in the current climate really really works against an immediate sequel.

LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't
Thanks for the help both of you.

Sure, I'm not blaming them for 2020/2021 in particular. But the Clancy branding from Ubisoft has brought nothing but laughs from the early ads for Elite Squad to the R6:Quarantine to the timing of WONY release. Just homeruns after homeruns for them.

LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't
I'll be a monster because I want another Division game but I just want them to actually confront what we are.

Their use of "Kelso" has become an insufferable excuse to let us be monsters. When they hinted at her dying in the early story missions I crossed my fingers for it. They have her front and center in the cutscene smiling with doe eyes for a real piece of poo poo. I don't think they're simple enough to assume this for their narrative, but I'd gather they'd think so little of their audience considering some of the posts on their forum/reddit.

I don't think their support teams, like the Red Storm CEO who tweeted about how much he loved her, can really take on a third game.

If anything, how they handled to Hunters is proof neither team knows what to do with the series.

Crackpot theory: The hunters are ccp plants considering their gear set markings in 1. But hey, in their original release and context, we're dying/starving/dehydrated. Nobody ever confirmed the bodies in the snow so hey, you were delusional. You didn't know what you were fighting. Lau says shut up, you're needed and hey I'm a sucker for positive reinforcement so sure, I'm ok never speaking a word of this.

Div2? They're all ruskies (see the horrific retcon with sokolov) because otherwise we might threaten a real buyer market in the game, just check the spam in the chat. Shoot/summon them or whatever.

Div1? Eh whatever, they show up in the underground now and Rhodes, the paranoid skitzo, never asks why you go offline at some points. Never think about this.

Everything they've done in Div2 has been the worst possible choice and, more importantly, the coward's choice narratively from one- especially in the wake of all of the fantastic VO messages in West End.

We are bad people given the worst possible authority. The supporting novels- lord help me I've read them- explore more interesting concepts like going rogue after no just blindly following orders.

That should be the core conceit of Div3. We are all equally untrustworthy even in PVE situations.

LackinPants! fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't
Few things since I'm feeling the heat a bit again after coming back for this patch. Haven't hopped onto the Countdown mission yet, but I'll do so after some grinding.

It's odd, I finished another playthrough of Div1 (I think like my 10-11th across all platforms) and it continues to just click with me more than Div2. Like I maxed out every gear piece in that game but still keep playing it and enjoy putting together "on-hand" characters (New toons can't touch the stash basically)

I feel like I hit the ground far more often in Div2 to enemies or unseen forces since my character gets stuck in a piece of geometry or some little thing which, while fair by the game's logic, just feels bad to have happen and not in the first game's "I pushed against overwhelming odds and was killed due to bravery or stupidity."

The bounties, for instance, are some of the most player unfriendly content I feel. Not because they're intrinsically hard, but because there's usually a million little pain the rear end things which force you to play them in a boring way if you don't want to waste time.

Bounty fights take place in oddly laid out encounter rooms which, while not a bad idea on paper, are usually annoying to access since they were meant for one off side content or include odd pieces of geometry which you can't take cover behind or get tripped up on. The infinite red gas canisters will never have the range to stunlock your enemies but you better believe you'll get smoked. Fire continues to be this game engine's bugbear as I always have to remember mentally count to three before going back into are previously on fire.

This applies in the open world too. I like the chaos of the control points, but sometimes it just feels like the only winning move is to hang out a block away and pick them off if you want to avoid some unforeseen gas canister exploding three stories above you and still burning you to death. You're also pushed out of cover far too often by the friendly shmucks.

This annoyance applies to some mission design ideas too, beyond the fact all of them are about 1-2 encounter situations too long. Those skill jammers which damage you if you're in range but require you to stand close to them are the worst offenders I feel. The game almost always wants to eliminate your skills with a variety of mechanics to shut them down or overtake them and you'll have no way to react to said mechanics until you take it on the chin at least once. Fine, but while I've grown in power and can handle almost everything heroic can throw at me it feel like my own connection can determine at lot of the time if I'm in the proper flow to handle an all red build or if I'm going back to the rather stale combo of HF with the half shield to just facetank encounters in a timely fashion.

I also do not understand their logic around the ult weapons. They nerfed them and eliminated them from PVP encounters but now have brought them back but never enough to make them fun or even viable really. I was hoping that redesign of allowing you to use any weapon or grenade would make it into this update as that seems to be the missing link in build design. They had these grand, 2017/Overwatch/Siege afterglow ambitions of Division action figures with named skills and such that never gelled and just limit what you can do in a given situation.

The enemies also just feel all over the place compared to the original. They have better AI, I suppose, but it's never really interesting and, again, eventually just become annoying. They hide until the game detects you press the reload key or shift your aim away from them. Despite the complaints against the first game, I feel some of the random enemies in this are infinitely more tanky than the worst parts of the 1.3 Div1 days (which I still played a sickening amount of). They always seem to have just enough HP to get in cover one final time. The NYC redux enemies in particular feel just annoying and uninteresting, like the fat boy cleaners just taking a boring number of hits to drop.

I also think the revive hive was the worst possible skill idea. I should have just been an intrinsic "one revive per mission" token or something because otherwise, why would you not take it under all circumstances if you play alone. This was an issue in the original game too with the ults, but I suppose I forgave that more since it was the first go around.

Eh, I could just git gud. I still like the shooting and the ideas at work. I feel more viable around 1.1-1.3 mil armor but that limits some of my built potential. Guess I should work on not getting shot.