Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I last played this around release, leveled to 30 on pc and hosed around with world tiers a bit before I got bored since they hadn't even released the raid at that point. Decided to get it for cheap on the Xbox to play on the series x, and just wondering if there's been any big changes I should be aware of? Planning on redoing the story and leveling because I like the brain worms that scratches, but just hoping to avoid any noob traps I might be unaware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kibayasu posted:

The biggest change was greatly simplifying the equipment system when Warlords was released. It’s pretty much impossible to somehow do something bad while you’re leveling equipment-wise because you resolve everything so fast and story difficulty is not difficult at all. The only thing that might be bad is not unlocking the revive hive for a long time.

Ah okay. I hardly remember a thing about the first time, but one thing I am enjoying is knowing right from square one that you can shoot the yellow locks, because I went through 3/4 of my first Div2 playthrough wondering when I was going to unlock an ability that would allow me to get that loot. :negative:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm struggling to remember when/how the bathroom unlocks so I can change my hair and poo poo. Is there a main story mission that unlocks this or a side mission?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Ah that's right, thanks. It looks like hair options got expanded a bit? Or maybe my memory is just that bad.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

UnknownMercenary posted:

If you made a new character since WONY came out, there are new head options that you can't access if your character was from launch.

Yeah that must be it since I essentially started over on the Xbox. Cool. One more question: I found one of those hanging orange crates and shot it open and it said I got some stuff but it never showed up in inventory or apparel. Is that stuff that comes into play after I hit 30 or is it probably a bug or something?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

RevKrule posted:

All the missions in NYC feel longer than the DC counterparts but they're all (mostly) good. The only one that's kinda not great is The Tombs and that's because the whack-a-mole at the end but it's still a good mission. Wall Street is way too long but it doesn't matter because it owns so much.

Also try to do Pathway Park without screaming out "KAJIIIIIIKAAAAAAAAAA." You can't do it. It's impossible.

You also get to finally get rid of Keener which isn't as satisfying as I'd like because it seems like they decided that Faye gets to get all the satisfying kills

Lmao they build up that tremendous rear end in a top hat over the course of two games + dlc and he gets taken out by a fuckin NPC??? Wow.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kibayasu posted:

No, he means someone else.

Oh, they were merely implying it wasn't satisfying.

Playing through 2 again and i really love everything about these games other than being published by Ubi. :sigh:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Wowzers, logging in the last couple days on xbox and there's actually been a queue (of like 1-4 people tops, which clears nearly immediately), but still, drat!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
You know I should hate everything about this loving game, but something about the way it all comes together works for me extremely well. Moreso 1 than 2 tbh, but I do love the settlement stuff in 2 and the urban exploration and rooty tooty looty shooty aspects are top tier for the genre. It's nice to have something to fall back on when I get bored of shootin' aliens in Destiny.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man I just crashed playing the pc version the other day and chalked it up to my aging 1070 but I think it looks like I can blame game updates for that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Why am I still unable to tat up both arms and legs, what is this nonsense???

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kibayasu posted:

The same reason there are basically no shorts or sleeveless shirts so you can actually see them.

Black tank top has done a lot of work for me in lvls 1-25

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I do very much appreciate how Div2 has you unlock a cosmetic for every gear you loot, so you can use a light harness instead of a big bulky piece of dumb looking armor that covers up all your #swag. Was that in release or did it get added later? Man if they would just do something about the late 90s pinball era score inflation of the damage numbers this game would pretty have fixed all the issues I had at launch.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Edmond Dantes posted:

Ah, of course. Base game, Game + WONY and Ultimate Editions of the game are all on sale.

Oh, what's that? You just want WONY? gently caress you.

Why the gently caress do companies do this?

Yeah this was really lovely, I noticed this after I decided to pick up WONY for my pc copy after falling back in love with the game.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Transmog was added much later; sometime late last year IIRC. Google says August 2020.

A lot of the best items are purple or lower quality so they're less bulky. There are quite a few that only exist while you are levelling up from 1 to 30.

what in the??? really? I guess it's not really different than destiny's white/green/blue weapons and armor sets, but otoh many of them do have legendary and above reskins or slight alterations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I did read something in an article about the game about how there was apparently some fan feedback about "too much goofy looking" stuff in the game and wanting more "tactical/realistic" clothing and gear. Which... Okay. But hear me out: porque no los dos?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I mean the end game for me is barbie fashion dressup where I occasionally shoot people, but that goes for pretty much every game with those sort of elements. I do appreciate how granular div 2 lets you take your fashion.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Orange Carlisle posted:

A buddy of mine did the same thing - broke down all his exotics because they initially told us that there wouldn't be upgrading and you'd need to get it to drop again at 40. I asked him to keep them and wait because that poo poo always changes, but he broke them down anyway.

And now here we are. He still doesn't have half the exotic collection he had previously and it's sad.

At one point should you start keeping stuff you like? When you start getting gear score items vs level 1-30? Or is pretty much anything upgradable? I've just been sharding/selling anything with smaller number because I was a destiny hoarder and trying to break those kinds of habits.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

UnknownMercenary posted:

They always said the exotic upgrades would come later.

Don't get too attached to anything until you reach the endgame. If you do not have Warlords, that means world tier 5 (gear score 500-515). If you have Warlords, that means level 40. Item quality is always noticeably jumping as you increase in levels and your stuff won't last for longer than 2 or 3 levels at most.

The only thing that can be upgraded between pre-40 and level 40 are exotics; everything else is siloed off including the recalibration library. Weapon mods, thankfully, are always unlocked once you craft them. Gear mods don't scale as much as armor and weapons do so anything reasonably good from world tier 5 will be useable at level 40.

Ah cool thanks. As far as the story goes, I get the impression I should wait until I get through all the other stuff before going into warlords? I played through up to WT5 at release but dropped the game before any new content got added. Once I do tidal basin and unlock wt5 does the new story stuff come up automatically? (I need to be a bad enough dude to not save the president)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Any rumors on future of the franchise going forward? It's really the only looty shooty I like other than Density but the post release support seems hit or miss. I didn't really give a poo poo about any of div 1 dlc but I am enjoying the return to New York in wony and don't really see them doing any more substantial content like that for a game that's essentially on life support. Supposedly there's a new mode "the division has never had" coming toward the end of sept (hastily poo poo out battle royale mode perhaps?) but it's also been confirmed that massive is working on a new Star Wars title so any hope of further Division games seems somewhat up in the air at the moment.

Probably Div 3 on the tail end of this console cycle unless Massive becomes a Star Wars studio depending on how well that game does, is my best guess at the moment.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kibayasu posted:

Survival in Division 1 was a battle royale just before that became the term everyone used so it wouldn’t be that.

I dunno, it has as much roguelite and survival dna in it as battle royale, and a very small player count when compared to most of the games in the BR genre. Guess whether the marketing speak about it being "all new" to the Division is accurate depends on how they think of that dlc internally. Regardless it's a little late to be jumping on the BR thing, especially for an EOL content drop like that, unless it's literally just "hey we did the dark zone but crammed 100 people in there, go nuts." So :shrug: who knows I guess.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Lol, I'm still working my way through the DLC Story and some of the dialogue at the Federal Reserve was making me think there would be a Die Hard-esque twist in which it turns out that Aaron Keener was doing this all to long con a heist of the Federal Reserve. It took about twenty minutes of my dumbass stoned brain thinking it was brilliant until I remembered that the apocalyptic nature of the setting made that extremely stupid and unlikely.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

moist turtleneck posted:

Div2 has been playing great for me but I guess that's because I'm on xbox?

My xbox did turn off unexpectedly the other day but so did the whole house so I'm guessing that wasn't division

Now that's some immersive gameplay

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Been watching the marvel movies in timeline order and kinda loling at how many mcu supes are just like, "here's a guy with some shd tech" basically

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

nominal posted:

WHO ARE YOU?!??!

"I'm the guy who's gonna stroll into this burg's water treatment facility, fine tune their water chemistry, streamline the metropolitan power grid, and run back-ups on the servers at city hall. And, if I have time, murder a few thousand looters." *dumps about 800lbs pounds of guns, body armor, and electrical parts out of backpack* "When I get done taking all of this poo poo apart, I'm going to talk to that guy at that desk over there about changing my career, where I will continue do to everything I just said, except now with a flamethrower."

Yeah that about sums it up!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Lmao that fuckin twist in the cutscene after you take down Keener holy poo poo. It's so stupid and I totally love it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So I did the whole game and worked up through the world tiers, which meant I leveled up all my poo poo to 30, and then started getting into the gear store stuff as I worked through the world tiers, then when I was done with that I did the expansion which leveled me up to 40 and unlocked a bunch of other progression poo poo, but no more gear score and everything is just level 40? Is that right? Division 2 does what Destiny 2 don't?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I went through the pentagon stuff having turned golden bullet on and not understanding what it did, using an M60 with the gunner pouch for +50 rounds and a shotgun that boosted skill damage/got boosted by skill damage, and it was a blast, even if it took me the entire time to figure out why I wasn't running out of ammo.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ygolonac posted:

I was Chatterboxing most of yesterday's GB funtimes, just have to remember to shoot-no-kill and reload to get the full VRRRRT going.

Managed to dump about 70% off a mag into the boss at the Bunker before he even waddled through the door. :unsmigghh: And the opening fight in the goofy art installation, I end up camping right at the spawn closet and melting everyone before they could exit. Same for supply convoys, if the spawn is close enough.

Amazing to me to think that gunner was an additional class not in at release because the og 3 were crossbow/nade launcher/and sniper rifle. Probably should not have gone with crossbow and sniper rifle in the same batch tbh, even if they're different niches. Gunner should have been in day one are you fuckin kiddin me massive???

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fabricated posted:

You focus entirely on the specific stats/talents rather than a single individual number- and you have a lot of options for massaging those stats/talents with recalibration and optimization.

One thing to remember to do now you hit 40 is to fill out your recalibration library, which is easy to do. If you get a piece of gear that has a talent you haven't banked yet, or a piece of gear that's poo poo but has a single stat max-rolled, take it back to base and bank the talent or roll. The game pretty much shits loot all over you at endgame so you can generally fill out the library pretty quick. Once you have a talent/roll banked, you have it banked forever. Less-than-max stat rolls you have saved can always be overwritten with higher ones you find, and applying that roll via recalibration to another piece of gear does not "use up" the roll; you can simply only recalibrate one roll on a piece of gear or the talent. Optimization is a lot more grindy even with the costs reduced since you need multiple types of materials to bump a stat once- it does however make it possible to guarantee a piece of gear with exactly what you want on it without having to hope something just drops with max rolls to all the stats you want WITH the talent you want.

Oh thanks! I've been favoriting stuff that has perks/stat rolls I like but had no idea how recalibration worked or any of that other stuff. I've probably been unfairly comparing this game to destiny 2 a lot when it really shares as much of it's dna with diablo 3, at least the way it works now, and it feels really good to start boosting damage/crit chance bonuses that stack and melt poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Hopefully having a series x means better chance of getting in with lower playerbase maybe? Very concerned about it being free to play though because it will mean monetized cosmetics and there's already enough of them trying to do that in the full price games. My favorite thing is putting together functional outfits from the random poo poo I find so if they lower drop rates even more (or do away with random clothing drops entirely to make way for gacha money) I don't see myself enjoying it as much as Div 2.

Then again maybe it's going to be something wildly different from the main games anyway, who knows! :shrug: