Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Bit of a noob compared to most ITT I guess but any tips for gathering the hunter masks? What is the connection with the lion eyes I found a few of?

Is it feasible for a L30 solo player to take them on? I have a Pestilence and found a Diamondback the other day which I could use.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Got a quick ? about expansions. I had an email with 55% off WON. I’m L30 WT5 at the moment.

I’m considering buying it but I hear that once you begin you can’t travel back to DC until you’ve completed it, is that right? Some of my friends are cheapskates and probably won’t buy WON and I don’t want to be stuck unable to play with them if you know what I mean.

If that is the case, could I use a second ‘agent’ in DC? I haven’t L8 agent I only used for a short while. Could I play in DC with that character while my ‘proper’ one is stuck in NY?

Cheers!

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Inferior posted:

It's true you can't go back to DC until you complete the WONY story, but it's only 5 missions long. You can blast through it fairly quickly. You can keep playing with an alt in DC if you really want to though.

Is it? I thought it would be longer than that. Thanks for clarifying.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

UnknownMercenary posted:

So I've been having fun with the new set. It's alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phq0xepI6_4

Is that a new gear set? Looks very useful!

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Got the WON expansion and really enjoying it so far. Haven’t done any missions yet as I’m politely waiting for my buddies to catch up but I did make L40 and today I killed a named elite and he dropped a Lady Death SMG. It looks wicked - any thoughts from agents using it already?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Right, couple of questions chaps.

I finished the NY thing and got the watch, then headed back to DC. I thought I’d try ‘re-rolling’ an exotic. I have (or had) several on my wall including Merciless, Pestilence and Lady Death. I also picked up a Sweet Dreams once back in DC. When I went to the crafting station it said the blueprints for all the exotics I had weren’t available and I needed the actual weapon to be able to obtain the blueprint, even for the weapon I have in my loadout right now (the Sweet Dreams). I went to the firing range and all my exotics have vanished! Any ideas what’s up?

Also can someone explain how the ‘seasons’ work and whether it’s worth splashing out £8 to get the pass?

Cheers agents!

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Nice one thanks guys, I’ll save my money for now on the seasons thing.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Can we talk about green gearsets and which are best for solo players? I’ll be honest, all the fine detail and obsession about ‘builds’ doesn’t really choke my chicken but I do want to be an effective and resilient killer.

I play solo the vast majority of the time and my style tends to be ‘get the drone up, lob a seeker mine in from distance then pick off as many bandits as I can with an AR, getting the shotty out for any that get too close’.

I collected a load of Hunter’s Fury gear but that seems more tuned for close quarters than my style, am I right?

I have several bits of True Patriot, would that suit me better do you think?

Also people keep talking about Eclipse but I haven’t found any parts, where do you get that?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Sniping is very much not my thing. Spray and pray all day long, although I did find a really good gun called Glory Daze which has 100% stability. It does about 10k damage less than the one I was using but the fact that it stays on target so well means it’s really really effective with In-Sync.

What’s a good chest talent to use? I have Vigilance on my bag for the 25% extra weapon damage and Trauma seems to be the best I can find for chest.

I’ll set up and try a TP build tonight and see how it is.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
You’re right about the in-sync thing, I hadn’t realised that had stopped working when I picked up this gun! I’ll have a look for some ND gear and try that as well.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I’ll shut up about gear sets for solo play soon. I found some ND gear and I’m using the Armor and Pack to get the extra talents. It seems like the effective way to use it is put a few rounds into one enemy then move onto his friend so that the damage spreads, rather than finish one off before moving on. Does that make sense?

I’m looking for Eclipse gear and it appears that it’s use is strongly linked to status effects. Does this mean it works best with weapon talents like Eyeless/Ignited/Sadist etc?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Found a few bits of Eclipse gear so might trade ND for that later on. My question is how the gently caress do you stay alive using EP? My armour already dropped from 1.2m to around 900k by changing my usual gear for ND and when I compared the EP stuff it will drop to about 600k. I’m gonna get shanked. Is it a case of just stay the gently caress out of the way?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Kibayasu posted:

Whenever I played Eclipse it felt like a group support build. You foam enemies, set them on fire, and/or disrupt them for other people to shoot and kill. If you’re using it by yourself I think you’d almost have to run with 1 status effect skill and then either the gun turret/drone, the latter at the very least to deal with tanks or robots.

But yes, with any skill build all you can really do is stay in cover, it’s not like you gun can really save you.

Makes sense. Might give it a try on some easy checkpoints then save it for when I play with friends on a Monday.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Ygolonac posted:

OK, Eclipse/Imperial Dynasty finally clicked for me - first idiot catches fire, dies, and all the others nearby light up too. This was hilarious with the spawnclosets in American History and Air and Space Museums last night, not to mention one hostage rescue and a few supply convoys.

Also useful was firestarter chemlauncher - PURIFY WITH FLAME! Between the mission replays and lighting up Sons, I've nearly completed the first 30 points of the League, and I still have two missions to replay.

Did another level 4 CP, died a couple times but returned in time to clear it, cap started and the cowboy-hat named Elite showed up, and was murdered with some difficulty. (IE, I still suck at gaming.)

Still, level 4! Correct named Elite in the CP area! Yay! :toot:

hosed up and did another Hyena CP. :smithicide:

I just want an EP chest piece then I’m going to try the same. Are you a solo player and how does it work out on your own? What weapons and skills are you using with the EP? So many questions lol.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Working my way through this manhunt and I’ve done all the available DC bits so have to move onto NY. Any tips for clearing the missions solo, especially the Liberty Island one? That was an absolute ballache when I did it with two friends, I can’t imagine doing it alone. :ohdear:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Ugh idk if I can even be arsed to do it alone. I might have to bribe my buddies to give it another run through.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Gonna throw out another thanks because these guys are now a piece of cake.

Is there an active goon guild anymore? Im up to keener and frankly am sick of story mode and want to get back to dc. Anyone willing to carry my butt through it? Reading about it, it seems it is rear end to solo?

I just did Keener solo for the manhunt thing. I used a repair drone for the final level (thanks thread) and packed an AR to shoot him with and a shotgun to deal with his drones. The repair drone was crucial for staying alive while you do the 3 generators, then I went back up to the parapet to peck away at him. It was tedious especially when he chased me into the little room with the ammo box but I only died twice so not really bad. I won’t be doing it again in a hurry though, it’s just not enjoyable.

I’m using ND with a Coyote mask and gloves from whichever brand gives 10% AR damage.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

UnknownMercenary posted:

Use a Vigilance backpack and a Focus chest piece with Negotiator's. You'll be missing on the bonuses from Contractor's/Fox's Prayer but talents are the biggest DPS boost you're going to get.

I’ve gone with ND mask/holster/gloves/knees with a Fenris vest with obliterate and a Badger pack with vigilant. Seems to kick arse.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Got to find a guy called Belfry this week. Double XP though so made a few watch levels this afternoon doing checkpoints. Not looking forward to doing the zoo or Coney Island missions solo though :negative:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Good idea. I used to switch to Spanish on FIFA for fun sometimes. GOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLL!

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Do they want a tenner for each season to get the increased rewards or is it pay once and that’s it. I know the answer don’t I :homebrew:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Inferior posted:

God, the hunter bossfight in the Schaeffer mission was a real pain in the rear end. He healed from near nothing to full health and armor four times when I fought him. I just couldn't burn him down fast enough, and I was running full red. You'd be utterly screwed if you came in with a skill build.

So we end up taking Schaeffer in alive, unlike literally everyone else we've encountered in these games. This is totally going to turn out to be one of those things where the villain lets themselves get captured so they can get into the heroes' base, isn't it?

What’s the mission like in terms of location/length? I might get that far tonight, just got to do Event Centre and a few bounties.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Psion posted:

It's the coney island amusement park, so regular length for that mission plus however many times you get owned by the two boss fights. Reasonable length, in other words.

Ugh I hate that last fight near the exploded roller coaster. They come at you from all directions. I much prefer a scrap where I can hide somewhere high up and rain death on helpless enemies.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
That hunter killed me then when I spawned back in it was gone. Can you do the mission again and will it reappear? And how do I kill it?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

UnknownMercenary posted:

Very aggressively :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpnQ1jDXAoQ

(Please excuse the audio, I was watching a stream in the background and Shadowplay picks that up too)

As for your question about gear, Psion has it right. There are 2 very solidly best in slot items (Contractor's Gloves and Fox's Prayer kneepads) but the rest is debatable. I would also say the exotic Coyote's mask is also very close to best in slot for DPS, but the rest is just filling out with good items with DPS rolls and brands. Providence, 1 piece Ceska/Grupo, etc. DPS is the hardest to build for because it's the most roll dependent and you get more out of it the more you go all-in; "the best defense is a good offense" sort of thing.

Excellent! Tell me about the shield you’re using, and which shotgun is that?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Kibayasu posted:

That’s the Firewall spec shield and the M870 shotgun. The 870 only has 5 shells but the highest damage.

Stats-wise the firewall shield is identical to the Crusader shield and it allows you to use the same weapons but it a) allows you to also use it with the flamethrower spec weapon but more importantly b) it gives a damage boost to anyone in the highlighted area behind the shield, including the person using the shield, to enemies in the highlighted area in front of the shield (and it’s a bigger damage boost the more enemies are highlighted).

Even at skill tier 0 the boost is up to 10% per enemy (with the right shield mods) in the highlight so it is quite significant for an all red build. It will of course go down quickly under fire but even if it does you’ll have it back in 15 seconds or less. As long as you aren’t using LMGs the firewall/crusader shield at tier 0 is basically free health since enemies always hit it and is basically the only skill (besides revive hive) worth using on a full red build.

Hmmm. I do love a shotty so I might try it with a shield later. Always thought it was handgun only for shields.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Can someone explain what the ‘guardian’ event is please?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

UnknownMercenary posted:

"Guardians" is an optional Global Event which puts all PVE content under new gameplay modifiers and comes with extra rewards.

Every mob of enemies will have at least 1 with a yellow icon above it denoting them as "Guardian". All other enemies will have red X's above them, denoting damage immunity.

To remove damage immunity you either need to damage a Guardian's weakpoint (if they have one) or kill them. Damaging weakpoints removes immunity for a short amount of time. Killing Guardians removes immunity for longer time.

Whenever you kill a Guardian you also receive a damage and firerate boost to any currently equipped weapon; you can chain stack this buff by continuously getting kills.

You can earn rewards by completing certain challenges, which are slowly revealed each day. The rewards are generally a few item caches, some cosmetics and a bunch of crafting material. Since challenges tend to stack, folks tend to wait until day 4 (it is currently day 2) before just farming up everything.

Thanks. Fair enough I’ll start on Thursday!

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
That ROF boost in the guardian thing - jfc I’m burning through rounds like nobodies business! It’s great on territory controls and stuff where you can reload and have your weapon aimed at the door they’ll all pile through.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
How is crit damage calculated? I have almost 60% crit chance which I understand. If I have a weapon that deals 100k damage and I have 150% crit damage does that mean critical hits deal 150k damage? I’d like to think so but I’m not sure it’s that simple.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Guillermus posted:

Are they not going to patch in 1080/60fps? Because that would be a dumb move (another one) for a lot of console users that don't use a 4k screen/tv.

I may be mistaken because It's been long since I really went deep into the calculations but if I remember correctly, the base critical hit damage(CHD) is 25% so a critical hit will do base damage + 25% (125%). If you have 150% CHD, a crit will do your damage+150% of that (250% of what a hit should normally be).

Edit: for reference this post but I don't know if it changed since last year https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/axfo50/division_2_damage_calculations_tests_and_results/

That’s interesting. And complicated!

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I gave in and spunked £8 on the season pass. What can I say, I like pretty colours!

Also I’m bricking myself about doing Pentagon and DARPA solo for the manhunt. They were hard when I did them with friends the first time around. Any tips for clearing them as a lone wolf?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Quality advice that, thanks! (I still think it will suck tho!)

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I might have enough of the numerous material types to increase the weapon damage of my AR by 1.2% in about three months time

:negative:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Ygolonac posted:

Weekly SHD donation Exotic cache was OK, I guess.

In other news, True Pestilence with all CHC mods is fukken mean. Jefferson Plaza Hard for the league, first run, ended up 9/10. Did the Arena for daily stuff, only threw out my tier-0 robots twice (parking garage and final arena), otherwise it was Arnie-the-one-man-army in Commando, hosing my way through everything. Rather enjoyed magdumping into the armored car (which showed Pesti effect lol). Screwed off hunting supply convoys after, and just shredded 'em.

Ooh I haven’t had a decent Pesty in ages. Last one I had was when I was L30 and it did 13.5k damage. I loved that gun, it was what made me change from my go-to combo of AR and shorty to using an LMG full time.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like fun - been clearing East Mall with it activated and yeah I like it.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
What do I do with a Vile mask? Plain English answers only please, no :techno:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Normal. I used it with 4 EP things and Fenris gloves. Got shanked pretty badly immediately lol. I usually have 4 ND things with one a Fenris and one Clic as I always use an AR/shotty combo. In-sync on the AR, Trauma on chest, Vigilance on the backpack and drone/cluster seekers for help.

I think trying ‘skill’ builds makes me too squishy and vulnerable. Maybe I need to change tactics and stand off a bit.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I do mean Negotiators Dilemma. It gives additional crit chance and damage I think. The backpack talent IS a damage talent, it gives 25% weapon damage. Trauma probably needs changing out I’ve probably left it on due to laziness.
I’ve made sure my crit chance is almost 60%.

Idk, with this kit i seem to be able to slaughter groups of enemies exiting spawn points and the in-sync works alongside the drone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I’m happy to trade off skill damage for weapon damage in general.

Even at low level the drone is good for distracting enemies so I can shoot them with my AR which has high crit chance and an additional 25% damage from the backpack talent and an additional 30% damage from perfect in-sync.

The seekers are good at making enemies move out of cover, or damaging them while they are in cover and I can’t see them so they add more value to me than sticky bombs or turrets which have limited range.

I save a slot for an armour attribute as a safety net but I’m going to leave the rest.

One thing I am unsure of is what to change Trauma to on the chest. None of the alternatives look that exciting.