Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Division story is awful for a lot of reasons, but a big one for me is how they try to have their cake and eat it too

They present you as a supertech supersoldier who is all super do-gooder and can beat down all the Very Bad Men And Women to save the poor suffering masses

And then in the various side content, they also try to present the idea of the Division as a loving terrible idea, and tapdance around the realities of a post-lethal-pandemic-pseudo-apocalypse world

So you get this incredible tonal dissonance where all the main story missions are 'GREAT JOB AGENT, YOU KILLED THE BAD <MAN/WOMAN> AND HELPED <SAVE/REBUILD> THE <PLACE/THING>'

And then a ton of the side story audio logs and some side missions and other various ambiance are telling a very different story, that the Division is another flavor of True Sons or Black Tusk or Last Man Battalion, with individuals utilizing the super tech and connections to do awful things alongside other awful people

Also see all the hemming and hawing about 'It's not political' prior to release. Please. It's a loving Tom Clancy flavored technothriller set in Washington loving D.C., in the aftermath of a terrorist attack on New York City, America, and the rest of the world.

I try not to think about it too much and just enjoy the staggeringly good world building their art and design teams created :shobon: I played Div1 for the first time around Div2 launch and still thought it was amazing, they loving nailed the atmosphere, and if you've been to NY or DC, exploring the games is a real treat.

Plus, you know, the shoots is fun.

(also going back to New York was the cowardly story choice, but I don't get any sense that they really have a unified direction for the big story beats, Div 2 'ending' was a wet fart, and Warlords ending... eh, let's give people some more time to get through it before spoilers etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

GF Now dunking on Stadia incredibly hard is probably the funniest part of the Stadia launch

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ate the difficulty reset bug after doing like 75% of the poo poo, so that was nice.

I reset from hard to hard with mods :shepface:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It's a loving sky scraper and I didn't see sky or city once

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

something something battle passes are bankrupt engagement design

Sorry, I mean yay number go up again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

That’s always been a problem with Division 1 and 2, very few ideas about how to make high level enemies challenging besides make them have unreasonable gun damage, unreasonable health, or unreasonably powerful skills. Or it just gives them all 3 at once while the player is limited to being good at 1.

I really feel the lack of player mobility harms their ability to make interesting encounter design

Combine that with hitscan enemies and the emphasis (though not the actual demand) to use cover, and you're left with a ton of the combat feeling extremely samey from start to finish

Granted it took a pretty long rear end time for me to burn out - I played for like 200+ hours before I got really bored, so that's hardly some damning indictment of the game as a whole - but I also don't feel any particular urge to return or check back in unless they shake things up substantially