Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
If there aren't more ridiculous cosmetics (I still don't have the hawaiian shirt) then that's a massive lost opportunity. I want Elton John sunglasses and clown shoes.

The only thing that made me a bit cautious about the sotg, aside from the dumb battle pass, was the whole "average players" thing. Like they could mean you won't complete the reward track by playing an hour a week or they could mean gtfo if you don't raid/pvp. Selling levels on the track makes me a little wary of where this is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Hollandia posted:

$15 AUD :australia:
Thanks anyway folks. Unless it doesn't matter what region you buy it, but I suspect it does.

If it makes you feel better, the conversion price WITH expansion (which you want) winds up being about AUD10 over the price of the US game plus expansion. Yeah, it sucks if you're trying to get friends in and they gently caress us regionally, but the loving isn't so bad if you include WoNY in it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

X13Fen posted:

Finally unlocked Technician last night (despite having beat the zoo when invaded a month ago, apparently that didn't count for the last step even though the game calls it a stronghold?) and turns out I have 5/6 pieces of an (unoptomised) Hard Wired set. Am I doing it right? I'm assuming I should be running uive/seekers now (my seekers are already modded for +9 clusters +damage)

You'll want to use four pieces. Which four... really depends on the rest of your gear. Without BTSU gloves I got way more use out of an assault turret than I did out of hive, but I also went with the most skill haste I reasonably could and had ~11s seekers on top of In Rhythm and Skilled. Throwin' balls for days.

With BTSU gloves the hive is just there to proc turbo damage mode. It'd kill things if they weren't already dead from seeker spam.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

As someone who came back recently, hit the 30 boost, and had literally no progress beyond that to start with: paying to unlock the specs super isn't worth it. Like your time vs money is your own, but none of the requirements are anywhere near approaching difficult so don't let that scare you. Most of them are either finding a few patrols to bleed/burn/whatever or running a mission and shooting some guy's backpack until it breaks.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Quantum Shart posted:

Still umming and ahhing whether to get WoNY, Australian/Oceanic population is pretty abysmal, most nights can't run a mission cause I can't find a group...mmmm

It's like any other game that isn't a free competitive shooter in AU: past the first two weeks just realize you'll be soloing. Thankfully, aside from the raid, soloing is possible even if it's not a good method to get loot.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Welp. Another maintenance tonight means no playing during AU times. I wonder how long until it's playable from here.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

their goal isn’t to nerf everything into oblivion to create and force diversify

They literally did this, though. It doesn't seem to be trying to force diversity but everything has been nerfed. I'm sure at 40 with enough new exotics found we'll see a new meta form, but for people doing the old content... oof.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I think a random chaingun mook, on Hard, had me emptying five Ranger-fueled FAMAS clips, two hives, and many seekers into him. Enemies in general felt like Div 2 at launch, before whatever anti-sponge measures were taken in the interrim, when I had no DTE and random gear. It feels like they removed DTE... and just stopped there without further adjustments. I don't even want to think what challenging is like.

My optimistic theory is that this is all something that, while extremely lovely for non-expansion-buyers, gets rectified at 40 and it goes back to being fun. Right now at GS500 it's just slogging through every fight in cover waiting on cooldowns on Hard.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Working through the content I missed since all the off-map stuff was introduced seems to have been a mistake. The story isn't good enough to bother doing everything up to Coney Island first when I'll just be running everything over again at Hard+. Do I miss anything by not jumping straight to NYC?

Here's what you miss:

* Camp White Oak is a decent enough map that's good and pretty
* Manning Zoo is visually nice but the arenas are pretty annoying
* Coney Island has two missions, both fairly good, and the setting is cool. It's the lead-in to the NYC story.
* The Pentagon has two missions and they're actively fighting each other for the title of Worst loving Mission Ever.
* The expedition to Kenley College is bad and a slog, I've heard. I skipped it.

I'd say spend an hour doing Coney and skip straight to the dlc. There's no point in gearing up or farming other locations as the whole game is boned right now until you're a geared-up 40.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

he1ixx posted:

How do you get to the Coney Island missions? I didn’t see any way to get to them.

Same as the others - fast travel to the icon. You'll helicopter over to them, assuming you meet whatever the requirements happen to be. I was already GS500 when I came back so I don't know if there are special reqs somewhere.

E:

isk posted:

Not sure the backpack talent on Hard Wired is working as written atm. Enabling/cancelling Drone doesn't drop the cooldown to 10s, and Chem Launcher doesn't seem to proc the cooldown refresh at all.

I'm not sure on drone. I'd have to time whether or not the backpack talent lets me refresh after ten seconds. It felt like it worked as it should with tossing out my hive to reset seekers, but it's not like I was counting in between resets.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 4, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is somewhat correct. They fixed challenging/heroic to actually be challenging and heroic. They're tuned to be taken on when your character has a considerable amount of perfect rolls on its gear and with a proper build in place.

Yes, if you're in this game to get punched in the groin repeatedly and have slow slogs through sponges, they've fixed it. They previously fixed it in the other direction, which made it fun.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Guess it’s time to farm lvl 40 BTSU gloves and good rolled vest. (In addition to better HW gear since the rolls on the crafted stuff wasn’t great.

If they fix the backpack talent issue then a 4-piece Hardwired setup with a Hive (or chem launcher, really) would effectively give you ~11-12 second seekers (with no skill haste) just dropping your hive, tossing balls, then picking it back up. That's pretty much the old time I had on seekers stacked high on haste, albeit doing less than half the damage. My theorycrafting so far is 4*HW chest+backpack, then China and Wyvern depending on rolls for slots. Having to take the chest and backpack kind of screws you out of getting Skilled (I guess? No idea if it can roll on other slots.) but without being able to get stupid amounts of haste any more I'll happily drop a hive at my feet every ten seconds for free mines.

I'll test this right after spending roughly a billion hours Solar Farming.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The Locator posted:

I pretty much play solo, so I guess I'll see how it goes!

I went through all the main and side missions, until the final, with my GS500 hardwired set. Seeker/Bleed Hive. Mostly went ok, though for the final mission if I had to do it again I'd replace the hive with an assault turret until the final boss. This was done completely solo.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is there a diminishing returns on skill haste?

There might be now, but I also think the actual numbers being multiplied are hidden and you wind up with way less than it feels like you should. If I manage to finish my current skill setup (since Hardwired will be forever broken at this rate) I'll probably have 20% (or like 30% with godrolls) more haste than my current HW build. This will probably shave my 26s seekers down to... 24s. Hardwired should be a game-changer as you're setting yourself up for a ~12s cooldown with no haste... but alas the talents are both broken so welp.

Note that none of this will really be playable as seekers are a buggy mess and the cooldown is way too long to deal with massive health bars even when they do hit, but it'll perform better than Hardwired.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Arthil posted:

People got so used to that, that now they're freaking out when they can't jump from Story to Challenging right away.

This is hyperbole. There's nothing wrong with going normal to hard to challenging as long as there is tangible progress. If that progress is to grind several thousand hours on Hard because Challenging "requires you have godrolls" (it doesn't, but that's the tweet) then that's not what I'm into. All of the current bullshit will be patched out, just like it has multiple times before, but that doesn't mean it's not pretty annoying to play right now.

quote:

I'm also wanting to get a Hardwired build going.

PSA on Hardwired builds - don't make them yet. Hardwired has a chest and backpack talent that make the build work and they are both currently broken. What you want to do instead is: 2x Hana-U, 3x China, 1x Wyvern. Make sure you get the yellow slots in the mask/chest/backpack. Roll skill damage and skill haste on everything. Skilled on the chest is required, Shock and Awe on the backpack is encouraged but I haven't managed it yet. :/

I'm ~11% off optimal haste and a laughable ~28% off optimal damage, but it goes much faster than a Hardwired set and doesn't suffer from all the wacky bugs. Fully optimized you're looking at sub-20-second seekers and once Shock and Awe procs you'll be hitting for over 3m. I'll never get to that point, but even as is it is good enough for Challenging open world stuff as long as you're willing to kite for 20 minutes.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

AwkwardKnob posted:

I might be in the minority here, but I think they actually made the gear slightly less fun to tinker with by simplifying everything so much. Tier 1-6 skill build stuff is just kind of lackluster. Why do mods even exist now?

They went in a dozen different directions on this and it didn't pan out. I think their intent with the tier stuff was to have hybrid builds that would dip into X skill tiers or something, but at the moment the game is so lopsided that this is pointless. They also want skill tiers to matter (conflicting with the previous point) so the mods all suck and you need to get your boosts from tiers and gear. Healing mods are big, though, because they have adopted some weird rear end fascination with MMO premade groups and want tank/healer/dps roles. Hardwired should give an interesting alternate build, but the changes they made were either not tested or not considered important enough to fix before release.

You can still do the seeker/hive build (I am doing this right now) even if it's nowhere near what it was before. When you get oneshot or stuck kiting it's not like you're missing something. That's just the game now. If you want to see loot drop in less than an anemic trickle you have to do DZ. If you want to wait for the fun to come back it'll be back in a few months.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Digital Osmosis posted:

I dropped the seekers for an assault drone, which seemed to get a big buff and has like a 20 second cool down with very little haste. It tears through dudes and most yellows can't one-shot it. I found the seekers being nearly always dodged and, even if they weren't, couldn't take down a red. The hive's reduced range and new inability to get your charges back if you remotely cancel it really suck, but it still completely rips people apart.

My experience using a turret led me to believe if they can shoot it, they absolutely will and it'll die before doing anything useful. I haven't tried Heroic, but on Challenging at least the seekers will take out reds (who don't slightly move which immediately destroys the seeker AI) and with a few Skilled procs I can keep up enough pressure to move forward/back as needed. It only really falls apart on tanks, who require running backwards for two blocks throwing hives so they rush the hive and you can empty three clips into them. I tend to stick to Outcast/Hyena stuff to avoid that.

I'll try a drone replacing seekers but my gut feeling right now is kind of that seekers are the set point and the hive is too useful to replace so there's not much wiggle room. Being able to potentially pop four dudes for 2m+ on a single cooldown is really good, and if it misses entirely then at least I get a couple seconds to pick up my hive.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Digital Osmosis posted:

I dropped the seekers for an assault drone, which seemed to get a big buff and has like a 20 second cool down with very little haste.

I tested this tonight, since seasons are live so it's time for weird stuff. I didn't fail anything with the drone, but at least in the CPs (challenging) and events (hard) I did it never really paid off. It had a 14s cooldown, which with Skilled hive procs theoretically meant it was mostly up all the time, but despite doing not-insignificant damage it was still just slowly whittling away at massive health bars. The jump from hard to challenging kind of deflated the outgoing damage and if any purple/yellow looked at the thing it died instantly. With the world on Hard one card-carrying named just turned around and oneshotted the little guy instantly.

To be fair I don't have anywhere near maxed skill damage, and I'm geared toward haste > damage > explosive >>> status with no care for duration, but it didn't live up to the instant seeker deletion that made things doable. I had to run around to give enemies another target so they forgot about the drone, and they were more likely to target the drone when they'd normally run away from seekers. More importantly Skilled became a virtuously useless (instead of crazy powerful) talent so there's probably something to optimize on the chest slot for drones.

It's sure as hell better than a turret, though. A solid second choice.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

gat dam I want to know that raid guy's build, it looks fun as all hell

E: fiiiiine I guess I'll check the commennnnntssssss

https://youtu.be/t0EGcYE9hKU

If you're talking about the build on that video, you'll need a time machine. The Negev got nerfed.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

How do I kill Keener? He just rolled out of my oxidizer fields, EMPed my healer drone, then I got popped by a seeker mine and sniper turret.

Level up, optimize your build, and the game has only been out for a week you're not supposed to beat Keener yet.

Actual answer: He always spawns in the same spot. Drop a bleed hive on the area, throw a grenade in advance, unload with your grenade launcher/other skill/etc. Burst him down and he'll go invulnerable to heal then run away and you win.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Frustrated posted:

Does anyone have a skill build for solo play?

If you want a skill build in the sense that you use skills to kill things, 2x Hana, either 3xChina/1xWW or 2xChina/2xWW. Get Skilled on the chest, Shock and Awe on the backpack, and prioritize Skill Haste > Skill Damage >>> Status Effects. Run Demo spec with bleed grenades. Seekers and whatever other skill you feel is good, though I vastly prefer the bleed hive to anything else. Hive procs S&A on the backpack, gives you a one-button response to things close to you, holds choke points on its own for CPs, baits heavies, and causes normal enemies to run in fear.

You won't be tanky, but if you want to be tanky you really aren't looking at a skill build.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Hakarne posted:

Sorry for the rant, I've just been logging off frustrated every night since I finished the actually-fun story missions and got to their new end game. And I hate to finally admit it after trying all different types of things, but it's just more frustrating than fun for now. I think I'll take a break until they take another shot at unfucking it.

The good news is they're going to unfuck it. I'm not giving them credit for unfucking something they so thoroughly hosed then tweeted about how intentional the loving was, but hopefully the game will go back to being a fun loot shooter once they level up and optimize their build and it's been more than a week since release. If we're lucky a few patches later they forget all about how they want the game to now be based on the MMO triad for some reason.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

Thanks, I guess I'll pick it up. If I go for the edition with the DLC, should I start at level 1 or do this level 30 boost thing?

You'll miss out on flavor bits in side missions and the puzzle-ey finding of SHD caches. It's not just level 30 - it puts you at the point you'd be if you finished all the content circa ~2 months after release. All gearscore 500 gear, all shd tech unlocked, all missions (at the time - there are now more) cleared, a bunch of crafting materials, all three original specs fully unlocked, and all base facilities fully unlocked. This is good for several reasons, notably saving many many hours of spec farming, but yeah it basically skips the vanilla game. I think you can boost any time before you hit 30, so if you want to go through a bit of a tutorial or see the story beats before boosting that's an option.

One thing you absolutely want to do is create three other throwaway characters and boost them (you can boost anything in your account) to 30 regardless of what you do on your main. Each day you get to turn in some common resources for a blueprint you don't yet have, and since you can buy shared mats/blueprints storage for some trivial amount of credits this means 3-4 unique new blueprints every day. Most of them you'll never use but the weapon attachments are staples you always want.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I didn't know they had been changed/nerfed so badly. What gear should I be targeting for a skill build, then? I already have all of the Hard Wired pieces, and I'm currently using the China Light set kneepads (for +15% explosives damage) and a named backpack that gives skill damage on skill kills. My gun sucks, I think (it's just a random LMG I had with Perpetuation).

First off, Hardwired talents are currently bugged. Don't use Hardwired yet. It's universally worse.

Acosta's Bag is good if you've got it, but I'll assume you don't. You want Skilled on the chest and (Perfect ok but not required) Shock and Awe on the backpack. You want either 1*WW 3*China or 2*WW 2*China, prioritized with Haste > Damage > Status. This gives you full haste boosts and damage boosts with an extra 10% status for when you're using status stuff. Spike on your primary, though I haven't managed to roll a good M4 with it yet. :/

Nerdz has a build that doubles down on Status, but aside from swapping in one piece of Golan I have no idea how it's built. I prefer to be able to swap skills liberally so the more general Skill Damage is my thing even if it means my Firestarter doesn't hit like quite as big of a truck.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Edit: ^^^^ Oh, so it's a slots thing? I'll have to retest tonight.

ZombyDog posted:

I was under the impression that was fixed and I'm definitely getting 10 second cooldowns on my Feedback Loop ( from the Backpack Talent )

I had this discussion on discord last week, then went back to test with every skill permutation that I could, given my current near-max level of haste. I'm unsure of the timeline and they may have stealth-fixed it, or maybe it's fixed for only new drops of the backpack, but I couldn't proc it in under 20 seconds. I only tried a few skills to check the chest talent before giving up, though. Come to think of it, I also didn't attempt resetting the skill on Q since I was using that for my reset and seekers on E.

If Hardwired worked as advertised then, in theory, you could run 4*HW, 1*WW and 1*China. Skill damage on all gear, then two free secondaries for... armor or whatever. Given what I've played of the game since the expansion went live I'm not sure if 10s seekers is super worth it compared to the flexibility of skills you get otherwise. At absolutely max haste you can get you're probably sitting at 20.x seekers normally but you can also have a sniper turret/firestarter/sticky/whatever since you don't have to worry about having something you can drop every 10 to reset the seekers. This is also ignoring having Shock and Awe powering two skills or Acosta's various benefits.

In theory you could do some wacky shenanigans with a 10-second revive hive but without a non-hive (and non-ammo, since that's bugged for Feedback Loop) skill with a <10s cooldown at 0 haste this is moot. You could also get a 10-second cooldown on something like sticky, but I think max haste sticky cooldown is like 12s and anything else you'd use seems to follow this trend. My sniper turret cooldown (I'm like 6% off max haste) is ~8s.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

ZombyDog posted:

Well I have my Clusters on Q and the Stinger Hive on E, Feedback loop is definitely proccing and instantly refreshing my Clusters when I throw out, pick up and cancel my Stinger Hive - I've not paid attention to the charges being refreshed on the Stinger Hive

Ideally you never want the hive refreshed since it'd eat a precious seeker charge. You'd want something with <10s cooldown for the reset and painless enough to use repeatedly, so chucking bleed hive into a choke point/spawn door 20 feet away wouldn't be a good idea since you'd die in a hail of gunfire trying to pick it up again. It'd go something like throw seeker, pop shield in/out, throw seeker again, pause, pop shield in/out, throw seeker, pause....

Theorycrafting around bugs is really difficult.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Frustrated posted:

So sotg was just reiterating poo poo from last week with the only new info being that they are aware of newly introduced bugs with no time table for fixing anything... I haven't really paid attention in the past, is this par for the course?

Since WoNY release? Pretty much. Everything was broken from day one and every patch introduces even more bugs, so I'd imagine the team having to sort through this mess has to make some pretty hard calls between continuing the work on fixing X or abandoning it because Y just happened. Lots of stuff will remain broken forever. Repeating it is a way of stating that they haven't forgotten, and want to fix it, but just haven't had the time to work on it yet. Developers only have so many hours in the day and almost all of that time is already allocated to frantically patching anything involving players having fun.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Hakarne posted:

It's fun, it's powerful, and something tells me they're going to nerf it :(.

According to the junk that pops up in my youtube feed a rifle and mmr nerf is incoming according to the last sotg. Nerf now, maybe consider adjusting why people need this bullshit later.

Edit:

Kibayasu posted:

But since there isn't a way to reliably get control points to flip back red that's a limited resource at the moment (it'll get fixed at some point).

I used my 30 booster on three other guys and kept them out of NYC. Long after my main guy had finished NYC and locked himself out of the dailies, the three other characters could do the old SHD daily turn-ins until I ran out of blueprints from that. Then I burned CP3s until I got the dozen or so you apparently can't get from the dailies. I'm all done with non-raid/exotic bps now because of it.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 19, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

gently caress sake. Buff up, never nerf down. Why are devs seemingly incapable of figuring this out?

There is a mindset, largely lost over the years but very much a thing in the Everquest era of MMOs, that somehow players getting a thing subtracts from their playing time. This makes people having fun detrimental to your long-term success in some sort of imaginary zero sum system. The concept that if you make something incredibly painful, or even functionally impossible to attain for some people (requiring preform groups, requiring thousands of hours of grinding, etc), then everyone will just keep playing longer without the cost of creating more content.

It's 2020 and most devs have figured out if they make poo poo then people will quit and proceed to tell everyone else how poo poo it is, and the reverse is true if it's fun. Massive is unique, afaik, in that they seem to need to learn this lesson multiple times because the entire company is staffed by the guy from Memento.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Snuffman posted:

The big problems I have is if I get caught in a bad place, my survivability isn't great and I have real problems with chain-gun heavies.

I want more survivability and more space Clancy-Mil-Tech wizard.

Heavies are a big problem but you can spam them down with sniper turrets. If there are multiple heavies I kill everything else then blinder/turret until they're dead.

Hardwired (if you work around the bugs... I never did the testing or built a set) is great because you can drop all skill haste and still get 10 second resets on seekers. You need half the godrolls but you lose a lot of flexibility in what skills you can use.

Running a brand set with China/Hana/WW lets you get Skilled on the chest, either (Perfect) Shock and Awe or Tech Support on the backpack, and then you can swap skills around for whatever is fashionable in a given encounter. Seekers/Sniper is what I'm using 90% of the time but there are so many fights where swapping one out for sticky/blinder/jammer/etc is key. The downside is you need all the godrolls on top of the talents, so enjoy constantly farming crafting mats.

Survivability doesn't exist right now. You stay in cover and run backwards when they rush you. I did the entire final encounter of invaded White Oak without actually seeing what I was hitting because I was inside the house. Everything that approached the stairs died horribly and the final sniper lost a battle against my turret.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Snuffman posted:

Hana-U chest and the Skilled talent (the only chest talent not in my library).

You don't want Hana for mod slot pieces due to the red slot. You can recal slots, but that means getting an impossible skill+haste+Skilled roll on the chest.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Patriot seems to work, according to the internet, but they actually worked on that one to add the firework effect and would have noticed if it was broken. The others may/may not work because no one uses them.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Jimbot posted:

I hope they go back to the old TTK before the expansion patch came out.

That'd be great, but you'll be waiting another 4+ months. Their history suggests that eventually the fun will be patched back in, but you must suffer first because reasons.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

nerdz posted:

I personally think that plain skill damage builds are insanely underpowered compared to status builds at the moment. If they fix hardwired and tune enemy hp they might become competitive again though.

At this point I'm not even sure if a fixed version of Hardwired matters. Everything you'd actually use, aside from seekers, has an already low cooldown with near-max haste. In order to actually get a benefit out of it you'd need to constantly drop/pick up a hive to reset your mines. You're kind of locked into two skills and god help you against heavies who will kick them before they explode. It's an awfully restrictive setup and since the numbers (unless my math is wrong) for damage even out you're really only gaining the skill reset.

My (mostly) seeker+sniper setup definitely doesn't feel weak on challenging in general. If there's no black tusk involved, or low enough density that the turret can solo mooks so I can jam the dogs, it clears at a reasonable clip depending almost entirely on how many heavies are involved. Performance on heroic is untested at the moment since I don't like the idea of needing multiple seekers/sniper shots to down a red.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

You can flip them green and they don't flip back, which is the problem.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

If you like ARs they're kind of in a bad spot right now. Rifles are king until they get nerfed.

Kaddish posted:

Hahah, I can’t believe they actually just made it harder for solo and 2 man heroics. Wee’ll have to see if the NPC damage scaling/health fix compensates.

I read the notes through several times and the language is vague. They seem to want to reduce it, but only for groups. Pretty much everything since the expansion has dropped has been weirdly aiming for this new meta group thing. I figured it'd be sorted by now but if they're happy to keep the loot the way it is and tell me my gameplay stops at Hard then welp.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

ZombyDog posted:

I mean for all of my kvetching about my solo skill builds in Heroic, last night I wasn't actually struggling with my blinder/firestarter chem launcher build doing solo Heroic Grand Washington Hotel ( which to be fair, isn't overly tricky). Open world stuff remains a different kettle of fish, the random nature of it all, with some districts being extra tricky as you pull enemy NPCs from neighbouring activities which make Open Heroic a painful slog ( get into a firefight, get blindsided by a named boss on top of battling two different mobs of NPCs, respawn back at a safehouse and start all over again - I've had this happen 4 player groups where it alternates between awesome long drawn out firefights and constant downings )

Every claim currently comes with an asterisk at the end. You see it in all the Best OP Solo Heroic Build! videos where they show how easy it is to solo Heroics by presenting a video clip where they're in an advantageous position on one of the easier CPs because technically CP4 is Heroic. That doesn't mean poo poo to me, the guy getting clowned on in Heroic Tidal Basin or whatever.

Thankfully they'll fix it all in the next patch by making it harder to solo. Problem solved!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Shoren posted:

You either slowly work your way up through the difficulties and gather gear until it's good enough for Heroic or you jump in the deep end and hope for good RNG while your patience lasts.

This is what it was before the expansion. "Work your way up" doesn't work when you're just below the possible gear ceiling and everything is still brutal. I'd love a smooth curve of loot and increased difficulty but that isn't what's on offer in the current game. Maybe everything is sunshine and rainbows after this patch, but recent history doesn't lead me to optimism.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Skills, if they worked, would be fine. They all suffer from coding/design issues and the enemies are coded to take advantage of that. I've dropped my single-digits-from-optimized skill build in favor of the functional M1A meta. It cooked on Challenging but when shooting dudes with a rifle goes faster, and is more reliable in Heroic, there's not much reason to go back.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

What kind of punishment could they even deliver? Ban people from a PVE game?

It'd certainly fit their Bad Decisions(c) style, but realistically they have nothing to gain from it. There's a few clowns on reddit who believe it violates the explicit suffering=reward contract you make with videogames and they're the only ones who will cheer. The bug, in one form or another, has been around so long that you're talking about banning a shitload of people (thereby ensuring they drop the game) just to make a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Psion posted:

It's not a solo build but by no means does it need triple damage or instant CDs to pull its weight in a group.

That's pretty much the context here. Any group that can sort of do damage will roll through Challenging and if they actually have decent gear will get through Heroic ok. There's plenty of youtube "Check out this overpowered build!" videos that should have a giant IN MY DEDICATED GROUP IT WORKS disclaimer flashing the entire time because they're usually awful.

Frustrated posted:

Granted, I stated before that I really dislike the turret. It's just not fun to me, so mortar and sniper turret being the only viable skill damage abilities doesn't exactly make me happy. I get that they are good, but I don't like that playstyle. Also, 5 million damage on a sticky that's easy to miss is still garbage even when it has a 15 second cooldown.

If you don't like turrets then yeah, you won't like skill setups currently. The sniper and mortar turrets are the least buggy, though that is a low bar, way to deal damage. Firestarter and seekers are good but you need to pair them with a more consistent damage source and that's the turrets. It sucks, I don't like it, but welp. I spent a stupid amount of time grinding out my skill set to where it is and it's on the shelf outside of gimmick stuff like this polarity event.

quote:

I don't know if skills were op prior to TU8 or what, but warlords really just double hosed them.

There's the meme about "easily soloing Heroics" that didn't actually happen, but in general yes with fairly maxed skill haste/damage and BTSU gloves and a bleed hive you could plow through missions. Enemies still could easily avoid them, but the AI has been changed since TU8 and now they're back to running all over. More movement equals more bugged out seekers. In all fairness everything, through nerfs or bugs, got hit with a stick. The M1A meta right now wouldn't be a thing if guns worked correctly but here we are.