Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

ICR posted:

Now, let's get down to business!!!!!!!

ICR, buddy, friend. How close to true is this: you wake up, put on the coffee, open up your RSS reader to see what games are new or updating, and then write thread OPs about it

:v:

anyway for those of you coming back or coming in new, Massive has actually made a lot of good and positive changes already to the game and hopefully they're taking that to the next (10) levels with Warlords. May we all dunk on Aaron Keener's eye-rollingly egotistical rear end together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Snuffman posted:

(pom-pom-touque-4-lyfe)

:yeah:

I only switched to the snoopy cap at the end of the game, otherwise I was all pompom hat all the way

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Minidust posted:

I don't really know how it stacks up as a pro endgame tool, but I've been having a stupid amount of fun with the Mortar (Demolitionist) turret. Once the expansion''s out I'm curious as to how much I can minmax that thing.

it used to be really bad and then they buffed it to be better. It's still slow to deploy and fire compared to many other skills but if you're having fun why not keep using it, right?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

fatelvis posted:

Is there anywhere that has a good guide for how to put together builds? All the different talents and combinations of gear perks make my brain melt.

Currently I've just gone full glass cannon and with everything on crit damage, chance and elite dmg - just because that seems the simplest way to go.

this is fine. add in some all weapon damage and your favorite weapon type on gloves (so AR, probably) and you're set until the 3rd when it all goes out the window

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I don't even know if WONY has any preorder bonuses. I thought I remembered something about getting some "early purchaser" bonuses if you buy before April 3, but I can't find details on that? It's buried under all the SEO-stuffed trash in search results :mad:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I am getting this constantly with BT choppers when they're coming in to drop reinforcements and it's hilarious every time.

Just reached stage 5 of the Firewall research. The last step on stage 4 (Darpa mission on Hard+) was loving hell because I went ahead and did it solo on Challenging because it's the daily. The final encounter is loving BRUTAL. One tank, the boss mortaring poo poo, then a bunch of support goons with drones and stuff. It's hard to stay out of sight from the boss and in cover from everything else so you eat up your armor kits staying alive. Then when you clear everything and trigger the phase 2 an elite warhound shows up alongside a bunch of other poo poo. The only way I managed to clear it was to bait the 2nd phase when I was ready by it so I could spam skills and kill everything before they had a chance to spread out. After that I could handle the boss solo.

I know you said solo but if you or someone else runs into this while trying for a group I've found when matchmaking fails the call for backup option does not. A lot of people were hunting for easy shepherd ranks due to free weekend and I expect they still might be. Even 2 people is worlds easier than one for that fight.

I did a few shepherd responses and it's pretty fun to drop into a complete shitshow (you will always drop into a complete shitshow) and save the day.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

bamhand posted:

Is Skill Power still in the game?

as of today, no it is not. equip any mod at any time.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kesper North posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the same people, but the sound production is wildly different.

this is what I think as well, the dialogue sound mixing is just totally off. It feels a lot more distant than D1 did.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cheap Trick posted:

Couldn't play last night thanks to ECHO issues, and there's maintenance tonight in Australia prime time. Cool, cool.

considering the bug they're fixing and the number of people I see with it, the maintenance is at least making it so you can play eventually, as opposed to getting mad at it during today's primetime for you

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

lol, I made the mistake of not getting out of a hostage rescue crate quick enough and it reset and now I'm stuck in it.

edit: fast travel out was fine, it was just funny

now I'm just imagining shipping crates with a loot crate in the back being the most effective method to trap division agents

perhaps this was keener's secret all along

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Still getting the 'can't talk to NPC' bug but only with control point officers, at least it's not the progression blocker the safehouse NPCs were.

Also the radio in Haven :allears:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

That may be where more are, but they did add some with WONY outside the SP track? My apparel caches have new items in the list.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

For people leveling up through NYC, because the gear is only 10 levels deep and the progression is still very strong, make sure you are up to date. It matters a lot. I had a 33 gun (while I was level 35) that was doing okay-ish and I upgrade to a gold 35 and it was night and day how fast I was removing reds all of a sudden. Upgrade my armor and I'm staying intact more, etc.

because that leveling process is so compressed, it pays to keep an eye on your loot. Pick up level-appropriate stuff at Haven if you gotta.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

Incidentally, this is something to consider when complaining that you can't do challenging content right now. It's only been out a few days, I've only been playing sporadically, and I already have paragon SHD lvl 2. I figure that after a few months I'll comfortably have +10% weapon damage and +10% armor at the very least.

So . . . . yeah, that's a thing to consider that they're balancing against. A flat plus ten percent damage is nothing to sneeze at.

this is a good point I hadn't thought about

10% is noticable when I equip Fenris and my AR suddenly starts doing better, now having that globally? On top of Fenris? Yeah, that's the good stuff.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

if I remember right it was a Red Storm employee tasked with saying that line and since then has Red Storm done anything with Division? It seems like it's been all Massive.

sacrificial PR lamb, that's cold

anyway the first game did a better job of establishing the "hm maybe this isn't a perfect good" while still placing the player in the "good guy" faction and it's no surprise WONY handles it better than basegame Division 2 because instead of Manny just saying "go get em sheriff" and "gently caress!" all the time, you have actual dialogue between characters with different viewpoints (i.e. the NYC crew and Kelso)

what I'm really getting at is that Manny was a complete waste of a character. The drone operator (Cindy McAllister!) is significantly better than he is.

in fact why can't we bring her to WONY? She already did more for us on Coney Island than Manny ever did in DC!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Somebody earlier posted about a possible hunter encounter in a coffee shop by rector at and I was like “oh, that’s the Dunkin’ Donuts I used to go to” and I fast travelled to trinity church and navigated there from memory. It was insane, I don’t think I’ve ever had a game trip that automatic knowledge of how to get somewhere before.

DC had moments like that for me, like going past a place I stumbled into one morning to buy bagels. We're likely not getting it now but I'd love a map expansion north into Dupont Circle or east into Noma. The mall is cool and all, full of iconic places, but the Division's really strongest in places where people live; this is something both NYC maps have practically by default and I think it's important.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Roman posted:

yeah they were kicked off the project for a PR line that pretty much every game publisher was repeating at the time. that must be what happened

it's the only possible explanation! :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I think the clan was disbanded. The leader kept passing on due to inactivity, and I was the last one in the clan before I left for Pi Hard. Unless that was just a display error.

i got kicked out of Pie despite being in since launch and playing regularly since so I think clan leaders are just drunk all the time

i mean they have to try and wrangle goons into clans, it's reasonable to turn to alcoholism as an escape

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

^burtle posted:

One thing I wish they would have added is their version of the Strike button. Just let me push it, be matchmade to play any mission and drift into the violence.

esc
matchmake
random main mission

the only downside is difficulty level selection, where you can't just specify a range or "any" you have to pick one, but that's not the worst

alternately use Answer The Call and you never know what you'll get.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

did they nerf drops on the last patch?

Just logged in for two hours and got gently caress and all while doing supply drops, CPs, etc. in NY. At least 20 drops, 1 yellow, and all of them were garbage. Hard difficulty which I know isn't exactly crazy, but should at least see some OK crap. I was getting better on normal at launch and way better on hard yesterday.

RNGesus loving me or did they gently caress it up?

theoretically the changes should have been just the DZ, I thought? But there's going to be a lot of tuning done, I'm sure. Maybe some year australians will get to play this game but not today

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Digital Osmosis posted:

Speaking of named guns, I found an AR called "Honey Badger." It seems like it should be a named weapon but isn't marked as such, doesn't have a perfect talent, doesn't have a god-rolled and/or otherwise impossible for the type stat. It just seems to be a normal AR with a strange name, as if it could have been a FAMAS or whatever. My best guess is it's supposed to be a named AR with some kind of perfect Sadist talent (which is the talent mine has) but they hosed up the implementation. Anyone know what's up with that?

No, it's just a new assault rifle added with Episode 3. They added a couple other new guns that patch too (G28, UIC Mark II or whatever) and they're all just high ends. The named version of the Honey Badger is called Savage Wolverine. Its talent is perfect close & personal and it gets some astonishing damage numbers when you get that to go off.

you get the blueprint from leveling Firewall, I think.

On the subject of named weapons though I just got a Bakers Dozen (perfect lucky shot M1A) and uhhhhhhhh ... yes? Yes????

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Mehrunes posted:

Is the original endgame content worth going through? Is any of it upgraded for the expansion, or are they planning to do so?

yeah, I think so. You can do all the DC missions at level 40 but I don't know if they require a story clear first or not (most likely they do require one)

but there's no rush if you want to just go to NYC instead, it'll still be there whenever you want to

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

You should be able to, yes. Or just start up a second character (optionally, L30 boost it) and use that one in DC. That's what I did and it worked fine.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

explosivo posted:

Ah okay, I was worried starting a second character would overwrite the first one or something. Once I make the character I can apply the boost in game?

not sure, since I have new $3rd wave friends so I'm just leveling 1-30 again. You can have up to 4 agents on one account, so I can't see why this wouldn't work.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

the hit angles for the cleaner heavy feel a little less generous than division 1 but then those things were almost impossible not to hit back then, so it's whatever. I like how they all have unique effects, either stopping the flamethrower or making them take their own mask off or whatever. I ... am not so thrilled with how fast they move, admittedly...

I have noticed fire damage is tuned up very hard right now, like I routinely die due to taking 2 million fire damage in just a couple seconds from either an Outcast or Cleaner flamethrower. Or worse, the exploder guys because by the time you hear the beeping it is straight up too late unless you're specifically tanking.

I'm sure it'll be easier once I actually get my builds in place but man it's weird after a year of sleeping through div 2 that I have to try now. Not bad, at all, but weird :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The Locator posted:

So I'm confused about specialization points after hitting level 40. I've done multiple bounties and gotten multiple 'level ups' since I hit level 40, but I've not gotten a single specialization point, nor a single cache.

Are caches on max-level 'levels' gone now? How do I get specialization points if bounties and levels aren't giving them? Do I only get that stuff if I go back to DC?

Sounds like a bug, there are a few involved with this but just to be sure -- have you finished the WONY story? That unlocks the post-40 leveling system, not just tapping the level itself

Hyperactive posted:

Just got to WONY. Boy they sure like guys who run straight at you with shields.

Welcome to fighting Cleaners! It gets worse when you meet a certain heavy enemy! :v:

Shoot em in the ankles to stagger and then they're nice and easy

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The Locator posted:

Ah, that's the part I was missing. No, I haven't finished the last couple of story missions. Guess I'll do that instead of going on so many side-trips. Thanks.

Yeah, I hope it fixes your problem. I don't know if it will but it can't hurt!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The Locator posted:

I was just using the rifle as example damage. I also have been running an AR, and before swapping to try out the rifle, LMG. All of them are having trouble knocking drones down.

I enjoy the aim/fire play of the rifle, but it would certainly be nice if they did more damage. I forget what rifle I have (SSR something maybe?), but it's the only yellow/40 one I've found so it may be far from the best one.

that might be a marksman rifle then? SVD and Mk 20 SSR are the semiauto snipers, and the SVD is the usable one

for regular rifles you really want a classic M1A if you can find one.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The FAMAS and Police M4 were, before WONY, top of the non-exotic AR heap. They're likely still there, though I've been pretty pleased with my named honey badger (savage wolverine).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

OgNar posted:

Those extra 10,000 e-creds every 5 levels really make the difference.

i live for the 20 steel I get every 5 levels, actually

Mailer posted:

They went in a dozen different directions on this and it didn't pan out.

I don't agree. New gear system seems very straightforward in intent, but none of us except the crazy poopsockers have enough variety in their stash to really build out good synergy. That's gonna change soon enough for everyone playing, though. The intent of skill tiers, imo, is simple: invest into skills -> skills get better.

previously you had to farm for highly specific skill mods and hope your skillpower was raised just enough and there was no inherent value in 2600 vs 3000 skillpower except if it let you equip a mod. It was the tail wagging the dog; you built for skill mods and the number was just a gate check for all it seemed to do anything. Now mods are just for the finishing touch - they aren't the key. This is so much less awful than before, even if a retune of percentage is in order down the line.

And good riddance to dumb nonsense like crafting blue skill mods for my low-SP build to function.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 9, 2020

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Few things I've picked up from farming a lot of challenging tonight.

1) Get in a group. Clan, open matchmaking, whatever. It's incredibly important. Solo isn't in the right place right now but even 2-3 people can easily roll through challenging.

2) CC builds are real and they are strong. skill duration and foam launcher + blinder firefly pretty much means no enemy gets to do a drat thing, named included.

3) striker with a steady handed LMG (the Stoner is very well suited to this) is disturbingly powerful, especially combined with a CC buddy. You never reload, don't really take damage, and are constantly firing 100 stack bullets. Bring a Petrov and Grupo piece as your 5th/6th for LMG and CHC. And honestly with this setup missing isn't that important so you can drop the striker piece which reduces the penalty from 3 to 2, giving you 3pc striker + 3pc high ends. Lots of flexibility there.

4) tanks and healers aren't as important as cc/damage, imo, but they're not the wrong choice by any means. A good true patriot tank build is insane. Did a challenging zoo with a pubbie using that and he saved our run more than once.

5) that decoy saves runs. I have tier 1 skillpower and I have a heal drone and the decoy grenade and it's incredible. I can sustain a lot of fire with my drone healing me constantly and the decoy groups up enemies so they can get drowned in sticky foam.

Digital Osmosis posted:

I'm fairly sure I read interviews where they outright stated their intention is to push people into more specialized builds. IMO this conflicts with their intention to have a bigger variety of builds, but most of design seems to be a series of trade-offs.

before WONY division 2 had two builds: eagle bearer/some other AR crit dps, and hardwired skill dps builds. This is in contrast to Division 1 which had like half a dozen. Post WONY, Division 2 has at least a few high-end and two gearset setups and we're still discovering new combinations. So how does that specialization conflict with variety when it seems to be working?

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 10, 2020

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

UnknownMercenary posted:

Grupo is CHD, do you mean Ceska?

yeah, Ceska.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Roman posted:

- DZ TTK is definitely not where they want it, kills build diversity
- Hard is about where they want it, might get tweaked slightly
- Purple/Elite/Named enemies in Challenging + co-op scaling is overtuned and will get the most tweaks
- Challenging will still be difficult, they don't want to go back to pre-TU8 with everyone speedrunning it
- They don't want to tweak Heroic or Legendary much if at all, they want something for the hardcore players
- Raids are balanced differently than the rest of the game

all of this sounds good to me, to be honest. Any word on bug fixes?

OgNar posted:

I crafted 20+ LMGs to try and get this one last night, since I've been looking but hadn't found it yet.

get a buddy with sticky foam and you will never, ever reload again

because you will be busy firing hundreds of rounds into stationary targets and forever making steady hands proc

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 11, 2020

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

oh so I shouldn't junk this extremely high rolled sokolov chest with unbreakable?

:v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

the toughest enemies in this game being a grate and a gas tank are just mind boggling, sometimes

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Snuffman posted:

Where do Apparel keys come from now?

Both the SP and randomly on SHD level ups.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

UnknownMercenary posted:

You can literally use both. There are two gun slots.

For solo Heroic I have a Bakers Dozen and like 3 different LMGs I rotate through depending on the situation.

three bullet kings??? lucky you

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Roman posted:

Technician has EMP grenades and +damage against robots & skill proxies. the grenades are good against the dogs

Survivalist grenades are superb against crowds and the crossbow ruins wardogs, so that's also a good choice

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah actual names is where poo poo gets weird for obvious reasons. Everything from the NYPD being “NYCPD” or something through whatever odd not-Smithsonian name they gave it.

The insides of buildings can also be wonky. Air and Space is pretty close but American History is just totally different (the Vietnam room with the jungle poo poo doesn’t exist for example) That’s down to needing good level design though.

Manning instead of Smithsonian. Legal risk they wanted to avoid?

And yeah, A&S is pretty solid. I recognized actual wings of that building from having been there, and some of the exhibits are genuinely spot on.

my favorite example of the renames is how they renamed the Metro stations; in Jefferson Plaza station or whatever there is one sign behind a fence with the actual name (L'Enfant Plaza) and I don't know why that texture is still in game but it is. Did they originally plan to use real names? Was it just a test? Who knows....

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is there a way to mass-open apparel caches? I’ve been sitting on a bunch of keys but actually using 20 of them is tedious.

you can quick chain open them one after another (I think it's press X while looking at what your first cache gives you?) and button mash some of the animations but otherwise no. I try to remember to open them while I'm waiting for matchmaking, doing 2-3 at a time keeps it manageable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

You might already have one of that piece. I did a control point where the same holster piece dropped twice and I could only grab one.