Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

You guys got gear recommendations for a DPS centric AR/Rifle build? I'm cool with an LMG instead of a rifle, but I just haven't found much luck finding any decent weapons.

Right now I'm loving around with a FAMAS and a Socom M1A and it's just ... OK. I seem to get my poo poo pushed in regularly on heroic. I can put ammo into targets no problem, they just don't seem to be dropping fast enough to make any difference. Last night I was with a random group trying to do the Zoo on Challenging. I think this was the raided, or post game version because it was Black Tusk with a fuckton of doggos and that godawful Mortar in one of the early areas that has ridiculously precise aim. Jesus that was rough. I had to bail on it around the Gamma Team thanks to real world responsibilities. Still regret that /quit this morning.

Gear wise, I'm playing around with 3 providence, 2 fenris, and a ceska. I'd love to find some Fox's Prayer kneepads and some Contractor's gloves, but with my current damage output soloing the upper levels to farm that stuff is herculean to the point of impossible. Talent wise, I'm using composure and the one that pops your armor back up when low with a 90s cooldown? On the guns, boomerang (which I regret because my crit chance is around 39% so I might switch it back to Lucky Shot) and Optimist (which seems ok, save for the small rear end magazine).

So ... help me increase my damage output?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

Coyote's Mask from the season track or from killing Jupiter in the manhunt is basically the best gun mask in the game right now if you are focused on critical hits. It combines quite well with Boomerang on Rifles because you're going to be shooting from further away so you're going to get at least a 10% critical chance bonus (25% if you're even further away).

I've killed Jupiter (I got the sticky EMP bomb skill) but I didn't get the mask? Does it drop every time? Granted, it wasn't in my game. I had answered the call and joined a group that was steam rolling the man hunt.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

UnknownMercenary posted:

It's a manhunt reward. Jupiter (and each of the other targets) will drop a seasonal named item, and Jupiter herself always drops a Coyote's mask, but only if your personal manhunt progress is active for those targets. So if you just tag along for someone's else's manhunt but you also don't have those targets active, you won't get any of the special rewards.

Well, that sucks. I guess I could always solo the manhunt in normal mode. The mask drops regardless I reckon.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Newb Question:

Way back when, when I first got to the WT content and unlocked specializations I picked Sharpshooter. I maxed that out, but now wonder if it really fits with my DPS build. The universal stuff helps for sure, but possibly stuff in Survivor or Gunner might help more in these end game post-DLC times. Is there any easy way to respec? Do I have to grind out all those points for the other specializations again? How does that even work? I can respec stuff in Sharpshooter (not that there's variation really), but I still only have 3 points to spread around in all the other categories.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Soo ...

With regards to the weapons that got buffed (and debuffed ... R.I.P. My Mk17 you killed a lot of dudes) does that happen as soon as the patch is live? I have a Chameleon sitting in storage (the first Exotic that ever dropped for me!) but realized the damage was trash compared to the AR I was currently carrying. Will it magically get better or do I have to vie for another Chameleon drop?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Grobbit posted:

I'm assuming that LMG and rifle are still the best in slot weapon wise? I'm on PS4 if that makes any difference.

I like AR/Rifle (on PC) but I might swap the AR out for an LMG just to see what's what.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Is there a preferred Chamelon build? It supposedly got better after the patch and I just have it sitting in my stash next to a sweet dreams that I will never use.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Do you lot tend to dive in on Normal mode for these and just grind them out and then re rerun on Heroic, or do you just dive in with everything on "GET GUD" mode immediately?

I sort of like getting it done on Normal just to get the content finished or whatever, but man running around on Normal or Hard after grouping on Heroic and the loot is leaps and bounds different on the latter for sure.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

vyst posted:

I spent probably a week at hard immediately before going to challenging, maybe a week or two on challenging, and now i live in heroics. I mostly solo queue though

Curious, what kind of build?

I've been trying to live on a DPS build, loving around with a rifle and a Chameleon. It's OK for the most part, but I'm super squishy and not even running on Glass Cannon on a piece. Reviver helps out some, but sometimes I'll join a group on Heroic that's just in a bad position getting flanked on all sides by Elites and everything is immediately pear shaped.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

More newb questions ...

What's the skill that puts the flag over enemies? They seem to melt quickly and goofy fireworks when they explode ...

Also, was last season timed in terms of the bounties like this one seems to be? I completed Termite yesterday and discovered that the others are all locked with a timer counting down?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

re: stash hoarding ...

For no good reason, all my green drops (and the few exotics I have had drop for me) go into the stash immediately. Purples are an automatic sell. Yellows I feed to the Calibration Station and then I sell. At some point when I decide I want to do something other than a DPS build I will probably regret dumping a fuckton of what was probably good yellows but a few group heroic runs can pile up the yellows again easy. I'm really ready for my calibration stuff to be filled out though. I hate that mindless cycle the most.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Just out of curiosity ...
What control points do you lot actively despise having to deal with on Heroic and why?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Are all exotic drops equal, or do they vary in the stats? Example, is the Diamondback that dropped for me in some rando's story mode the same as say one that would drop in a challenging or heroic?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Had a Mantis drop randomly last night maybe 3 seconds into some Heroic roaming I jumped into after answering the call. Gonna slow build a Sniper build based on suggestions a few pages back, which brings me to some random nitpick/discussion.

The loadout system is what it is I guess. I can basically throw all my tweaked gear on my murder queen, pick the specialization and mod the skills and then save the load out. If I switch back to whatever I was running before (say, the all red DPS) stuff breaks right? Example, If my DPS is Gunner and the Sniper is Specialization and I swap back to Sniper will it keep whatever specialization centric skill mods I had equipped (i.e, that drone stuff that comes with the sniper spec?) Also, if I swap around my goofy rear end outfit between loadouts will it keep those as well? What about mods on the same gear?

Also, I have to keep all the items from the other loadout in my on hand inventory right? I can't just let that stuff live in the stash until I switch?

I've seen the stupid cool down timer bug on the Revive (and have had cases where it never became available again). Is there any other viable self heal/mend option outside of finding a quiet spot and mashing V?

Also, after maxing out the specialization do you guys continue to level it up? I'm at the point where I have to run Capital on Normal or higher and not use a armor kit when taking out some dude. The mission was available last week and I ran it, but never got the credit. Apparently it was the invaded mission so not the right dude to satisfy that level requirement. Lame, but whatever. Now I have to wait until it rolls back around, but it seems like all I'm getting is some cosmetics. Was thinking of filling out survival since their might be some decent benefits from that. I'm not really a fan of the wizard play style, so the skill build doesn't really interest me. What else do you lot like for specializations?

e: More exotic questions ...
Could anyone provide use cases for these? I have them in my stash, but haven't pursued what it would take to get them singing.
Sweet Dreams ... I have two of these but never really enjoyed the shotgun in the game (and NEVER roll with them)
that stupid rifle with the snake coiling around the barrel ...
Sawyer's ... this I think I can use with the mantis build
Tardigrade ... lots of blue, so more survival focused?
Acosta's Go Bag ... i know nothing about being a tech wizard

hatelull fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 16, 2020

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Psion posted:

Max all specializations because you will find reason to swap between them. So if you haven't maxed them all, yeah, switch up and do so in my opinion. Technician is unironically good for gun builds, by the way. It lets you dunk on BT even harder.

Thanks! Do you typically just max out the tree or do you go through all the levels of the specialization too?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Fabricated posted:

Sawyers is for any sort of build where you favor planting your rear end behind cover and not moving. I switch between Sawyers and Coyote's Mask in groups depending on how many people are running Coyote's Mask. If 1-2 other people are running the Mask you don't need to care too much about providing the group buff, so Sawyer's provides 2 pieces of gear worth of weapon damage (30%) at full buff. I run Pestilence as a gunner with enough crit to hit cap + a Mask buff since most pubbies run Coyote's mask and everything else focused on crit damage with weapon handling being a perfectly acceptable secondary stat since it's good with Pesty.

Do multiple Coyote's stack for the group? How are you determining if others are running it? Mine used to visibly display but then I started rolling with Chameleon as well and now it doesn't seem to show up on my avatar except for those rare moments when I'm in an area that requires a mask.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

DarkDobe posted:

Tonight was pretty lucrative - do the off-map missions have a tendency to drop exotics or did I just get lucky? Did White Oak and Zoo, both bosses dropped an exotic (the vengeance or whatever binary-trigger rifle, and Sweet Dreams)
I also snagged a Go Bag off a random robodoggo a few days ago and had a lot of fun dicking around with skill builds - but have since swapped over to pure crit DPS with an insanely rolled Good Times and Lady Death.

Head cannon for robot dog dropping a back pack is varied and deep.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Just wanted to state that the dumb rear end infinite cooldown reviver bug is still something that should have been fixed ages ago. I guess I never noticed because I ran chem heal for long, but holy poo poo is it annoying now.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Orange Carlisle posted:

Is it like a griefing thing now to go until the end of the mission then drop out at the last boss?

It's happened to me twice in a row with two different people on two different missions and i finished the boss alone both times so I don't really know what the point was when it was only hard difficulty

Guilty! True Confession: I JUST did this and sort of feel bad and sort of do not. I “answered the call” and ended up in at the end of Roosevelt Island on LEGENDARY. I didn’t give the short time spent in the area just short of the dock any mind, but when we hit the final No Spawn Zone I realized that My group was one 437, and two dudes low 20 max. Two of the 3 were rolling with BK’s. I had a DPS loadout when I joined, so no changing that.

Anyway, the final area pops and the two elite gently caress off assault drones eat our lunch over and over. There is no end since it’s pub as gently caress no real communication. The pizza guy showed up with delicious delicious pizza, I was baked and had red wine downstairs. I did the honorable thing.

Mea culpa. Mea culpa.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Orange Carlisle posted:

Understandable, but in my two runs it was only on hard, no modifiers and nobody was having any trouble really. In fact in one run the person that left was the only one to die and I had to revive them just once. None of it made sense.

Yeah. As it was mentioned earlier in the thread, I've jumped into heroic missions with a bunch of randoms and it's been totally doable. Depending on the other players, you might have to play smarter and not do as much aggressive moves, but still ... it's not punishing. Legendary really ramps up that difficulty considerably. I think the only Heroic I bailed on ever was that gently caress off invaded zoo, and even then it was more of a "you need to be an adult in the real world" situation. If I had stuck around, I probably would have powered through it with them.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Build Help?

Ran around with some randos last night rolling CP's on Heroic (a sadly all too familiar evening routine in these bizarro times), and decided my rubbish DPS build is not up to snuff. I can roll through Hard without issue (haven't tried it with Challenging yet), but I get to Heroic and the elites just don't seem to drop quick enough causing me more death time.

Currently rolling with a Classic M1A with Boomerang, Chameleon, Coyote's, 2 Providence, Fenris, Fox's and Contractor's. Everything is max damage except the gloves, which dropped with 13.2 but I'll take it. I'm stuck with some blue on the backpack (explosion damage) and yellow on the chest (skill damage) because I had to swap the talents. I have vigilance on the backpack and recently put focus on the chest. I'm pretty OK with headshots, so that works in my favor. Anything more viable than a Chameleon? I know I should lose the yellow and blue but drat finding suitable replacements is rough. I run Gunner with it.

I wanted to play around with Mantis and have a similar build. I still run the Fenris chest with Focus, and the Providence backpack with Vigilance. I use Sawyer's for knees and Arialdi mask and Holster. What's a good secondary for the Mantis. I have an M60 with Preservation, but that's probably not the best thing huh?

Also, and this is dumb but is there a tried and true method to remove the armor on Basilisk before killing him? I tried last night, but he died quickly. Just use a lovely pistol? 20 enemies with a mounted weapon is also annoying. I tried using the one at the end near the boats but only got 10 before the mission ended. :(

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

Besides replacing the bad rolls you already know about you may want to run 3 piece Providence. I assume the M1 is your main weapon? If you’re using Boomerang your critical chance should be pretty high and in that case another 15% critical damage would do more than 10% AR damage. Still means a new chest piece of course :v:

Yeah, I was doing some heroic CPs with a dude farming Providence a few nights ago. Saw a few 15% drop, but the rest was yellow and wasn't going to do me any good so I fed it to the station. If I could even get a 10 or 12% drop with boomerang or focus I'd take it and replace the damage. Grinding game is grindy.

I played around three other randoms and we all ran a skill build to do CPs on heroic. That was fun, but kinda boring. My skill build is pretty OK for scrape from youtube but the difference in damage dealt between my build and some heavy damage guy doing a lot of status effect was 200 - 300M easy, and all I do is hit Q and E while plinking dudes with the Harmony from cover.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

What do you guys do with alts, other than more storage?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Had a Merciless drop over the weekend. This thing worth the effort of using in a build?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I'd take an AHO invite. I am idylwino on uplay/in game.

How far do I have to progress in the summit until a "boss floor." That objective is like the first requirement for Shade (or whatever the name of the first target is). I got to floor 6 or 7 yesterday evening before being called away for real world needs. Seems sort of sameish and probably fun for a group, but definitely was more of an obnoxious chore running a mostly red DPC build with M1AC and Chameleon (still).

Also, I have like 3 Chamelon's in my stash (aside from the one I'm using). How do I get the exotic mats to reroll one of these?

Final stupid question ... is there a method to get that exotic holster for the showdown at high noon saloon project? Google says to show up at some bar east of the white house at noon, but unless I'm missing an obvious area of the map or HUD I don't even see an indicator of in game time.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I dropped the clan. If there's still an space, I'm still idylwino.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Is there a reason to enjoy the Rogue Agent encounters? Was running Kajima the other day with a rando on Heroic (bored, answered the call) and three of them popped up in the tunnel area with the random falling rock/AoE damage. Between the two of us with probably inefficient builds it took waaaay loving longer than necessary since those three guys just bunker down behind the really good cover and lob all sorts of status effects and AoE at us between healing and laser aim with high damage.

We finally got rid of them all but the rewards are so not worth it.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I'm pretty sure they don't pop up on Normal. I was rushing through Shade just to get it done over the weekend and ran Tombs and Tanker on normal. Nary a rogue agent in sight. I probably would have had a small squad pop up if I and bumped it to Hard.

I do not like rerunning the NYC missions. Liberty Island is NEVER fun (for me).

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I actually have a Negotiator's build (4 piece cribbed from someone a few pages back that plays way more than I do) and I've run around with it on occasion but honestly I'm not entirely sure how to use it to the best effect. Also, that build used Glass Cannon and holy gently caress it makes you squishy. I should experiment with it some more.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

DarkDobe posted:

I always play with Perfect Glass Cannon so I am just used to dying if I take 2 hits. I don't even know what "normal" is anymore.

I can't stand Focus scoping.

Wearing my chonky True Patriot makes me feel like an unkillable golden god, though, and is super fun in groups that take advantage of it.

I run Focus on a DPS build with the named that gives you perfect Lucky Shot. It's probably not the most efficient, and I should find/craft another M1AC with boomerang or rifleman. but I don't mind it with groups. If I can be patient and have enough time for talent to proc on a full clip I can land some headshots and drop stuff in a most timely fashion. I should get more practice with using a shield and going Rambo on dudes.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 6, 2020

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

MunchE posted:

Glass Cannon is for big numbers at the range and yelling for your teammate to pick you up on voice chat. On my Negotiator's build I run the chest and BP with contractor's gloves and coyote.

The key on Negotiator's is you don't focus one target you try to light up everyone running out then focus someone once you've got marks up. Especially works with 1 chonk and a few adds - if you tag the adds then just start lighting up the chonker, it damages all of them and you kill the reds and purps hiding in cover while beating up the chonker.

They require complementary builds, but Spotter, Intimidate and Focus are much more my style than glass cannon.

So you run 4 of the six, skipping talents on the BP and chest? Interesting. With Gunner I guess? What sort of weapons/skills are you rolling?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

MunchE posted:

Running New Reliable with a trusty M1AC as a backup. The Chest and Backpack talents on ND set aren't bad - the chestpiece lets you mark 5 baddies instead of 3 which admittedly is situational but great for obliterating spawn groups, and the backpack boosts your spread damage by 40% which is worth having. I ran a version before with other pieces for the chest/BP but getting Coyote's Mask and Contractor's Gloves is pretty nice for an LMG build.

You're right re: gunner, and I'm just running a drone (heal/shooty depending) and a reviver hive. Mine's sitting at 45% CHC and 168%CHD so pretty good overall. Gets an extra 14% dmg to armor between the weapon attribute + contractor's gloves.

Thanks! Definitely something I'm going to play with tonight. Pretty sure I can come up with most of this from my stash. I don't think I have a New Reliable, but I can figure something out. necessyar.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Total scrub question, but M1AC = Classic M1A and NOT M1A CQB?

e: And I graduated with a BA in English. loving punctuation, right?

hatelull fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 7, 2020

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

What is considered “god roll” for a Chamelon?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Am I missing something?

I can change my global settings to Hard or Challenging and there's still and indicator I'm getting +0% XP. Also, the free xp directive of starting with no armor kits is gone? Does it only apply to missions and activities?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I got a Lady Death last night running heroics. What’s does that play well with? The only thing I ever used SMG’s pre-30 when it was a matter of just using whatever was doing the best damage at the time on story campaign. Dudes in the group just said to load up Hunter’s gear and go to town. Pretty sure it can’t be that simple.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Is BK worth playing with? The "never reload" thing seems neat but damage output (even all red) is not great yeah?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I have so many goddamn Acosta's in my stash that I do nothing with. I also have a Tardigrade, the keepads, and a lady death. I have a solid Chamelon I use in a "DPS" build with an M1AC, Coyote's and a bunch of Providence. However, it's not as optimized, super squishy, and is not much fun solo. I should really rework it. :(

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

It's not like for like when rerolling exotics? I could use all the returns from the Acosta's to reroll the chameleon or the Lady Death?

I haven't even tried the LD yet. I guess I need a Hunter's build for that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Answered the call in the hopes of some hammers looking to roll some CP's on Heroic for the current phase of the Manhunt and was NOT disappointed ... at first. It's one dude somewhere in the 1000's, someone in the mid 40's, a guy just below 100, and me in the 300's. Can't be that bad, until I realized all the CP's they were doing are the super loving obnoxious fights. I popped in the middle of taking the hole in the ground (I forget the name) and it was manageable. I joined into a bad spot though and the flanking was gnarly but was able to pull myself out of the muck. Hit up the solar farm next and even MORE flanking and getting wailed on from all directions (thank you sweet nothings that the session owner didn't have fog of war on). We followed that with the Choke and that was probably the easiest, even if those elites just hang out in that back room WAAAAY too loving much.

And then we did the metro, and come to the MEAT of our story. I'm not a fan of this CP much in the first place, and it seems to be one that I RARELY find myself wanting run and rarely see a group that's doing it just for the loot. You're fighting up and they have ALL the cover. We manage (PAINSTAKINGLY) to clear it AND defend and I'm ready to get the "investigation advanced" and hit the supply room when of COURSE 5 rogue agents pop.

It was at that moment I actively started to hate my situation. On heroic, those guys are almost game breaking unfair. It was a super gross meat grinder and will haunt my days. After that debacle, I straight up /quit and went to HADES. Didn't even bother with the supply room.

Still sort of digging this Negotiator's Dilemma build. Trying to get something together with HF and the Lady Death I have but I don't have firewall even started and it seems like that's the most effective to run with the set. My DPS build is in a sad state. I'm actively starting to hate focus and the M1AC since staying scoped so long can get hairy on heroic and the Chameleon really is a situational option at best. I need better Providence and Fenris gear. :(

TL;DR: Needing those few select pieces of GOOD gear can be frustrating. 5 Rogue Agents on heroic with a PUG and no attempt at coordination is flirting with rage quit.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 29, 2020