Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

After getting an absolute perfect Sacrifice chest piece this weekend, I put together the meta damage build and was underwhelmed. Enemies still didn't die fast enough before turning their guns on me, and I ended up once again hunkering down in cover counting down med-kits.

With the inspiration from nerdz (specifically his love of shields and pistols) I made some small modifications and created my bulwark shield/pistol dps build.

Combining the fact that on paper the 1911 is close to the DPS of the M1A, it also in practice comes with a huge increase in damage up-time; no longer do you have to cower in cover every time an enemy glances at you. With a 6 million armor shield you no longer get 2 shot from stray SMG shots from 50 m away and can actually stand and fight for some period of time thanks to the 100k/s armor regen. Thanks to the shield I also had high up-time on the Vigilance buff pushing my DPS even further.

With the build I was able to play the game tactically; I used EMP grenades on turrets, used real cover to give my shield time to regenerate, and was able to maneuver to avoid grenades and flanks without being instantly gibbed. I was also able to funnel enemies through choke points and blind corners with ease and force 1v1s which even against named enemies was a breeze thanks to the shield and high DPS.

The build is quite fun to play in heroic solo and group but also highlights the underlying systematic issues of the game.
1) Despite playing completely differently from most DPS builds, the build itself is depressingly the same. Contractor's Gloves, Fox's Prayers, The Sacrifice, Coyote's Mask, Vigilance - the only thing "non-meta" is the use of a Gila backpack which is being used because
2) Bulwark Shield is so strong. Even at skill tier 2, it provides 6 million armor and 100k armor regen/s increasing your survivability drastically. This is important because
3) Using the cover system is a trap. Oddly this concept will be familiar to XCOM veterans: much of the battlefields in Division 2 is strewn with "half-cover." While Division 2 encourages you to use half cover, they are in fact death traps. You can be easily damaged by enemy fire while using half cover, and become the frequent target of grenade attacks and rushers.
4) Most of the build was from drops in Heroic...for a Heroic build. Yeah.

Here's a clip of me taking down a named Cleaner tank:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/578455787

Olds fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

tweet my meat posted:

The most optimal dps possible is not necessary to do enough damage in high tier content and very often leaves people crippled in higher tier content unless they're very good at the game. Glass cannon is not worth the tradeoff and is often a liability to the group in raids and legendaries.

I agree that skill damage needs a buff at the highest difficulty tiers, but I do agree with them that skill build diversity and usefulness is at an all time high. The shield is better than it's ever been in the history of the game for all 4 variants (deflector still kinda sucks but makes up for it in fun factor) now that it's an option for defensive builds rather than just skill builds and opens up an entirely new class of skill centric build. Healer builds are incredibly strong right now and I would consider them a necessity for optimal raid/legendary groups. CC builds are absolutely amazing with plenty of viable options even if the blinder firefly is the best one at the moment, you have two slots so make use of them. You can also be a hybrid of any type of skill build without losing much power. Status effect builds are completely slept on and can allow you to roll weapon damage/armor plus status effects instead of just all skill tier making them ideal hybrids. If you think that most skills are unplayable at higher tiers then you aren't playing them right.

The various bugs are annoying and need to be fixed, but very few of them make the skill too annoying to use. The reviver hive bug is probably the only one I'd consider in need of an urgent fix.

This is also leaving out challenging, which skill builds solo with ease.

The problem is for people using skills without high skill tier, the skills all feel unreliable enough to be useless. As a Vanguard tank, I cannot count the number of times I've used blinder firefly only for it to either prematurely explode and do nothing or disappear into the ether, do nothing, and not go on cooldown. Similarly I've used foam chem launcher to no effect against enemies despite being aimed at their feet pointblank. Sometimes when enemies get afflicted by 2 or more statuses, they just ignore all of them! The old standby heals all heal for minimal amounts in an environment where exposing yourself can get you hit with health-gated damage instantly and now old revive hive bugs are back. Its the reason why my proper Vanguard Tank build and my shield pistol dps build now just use artificer hive - because it works.

Bulwark shield is very powerful right now, but I don't see much use for crusader once they fix the scoping issue - its much too flimsy and lacks regen to be much use for any tanking.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don’t know if it’s me having a bad day, but the enemies seem twitchier today. Did they modify enemy behavior in the patch today ?

I think the hit reg issues got worse; this morning, I remember clicking on a completely immobile enemy's head 5 times in a row and registering no damage. Pure speculation but I believe the hit registration issues is correlated with server load and a bunch of people came back from their suspensions, overwhelming their server capacity.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
I know Lucky Shot and Tardigrade gets lots of love, but I much prefer Boomerang and Pointman. Boomerang rewards you for actually hitting by giving you ammo and extra damage which is extra helpful against enemies you actually need to shoot multiple times (tanks, warhounds). Pointman (or any appropriate vanguard chest) will give a huge overheal every 25 seconds, which as a Glass Cannon/Vigilance user I much prefer.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
This is all pointless because they made Dodge City holster bad no matter what stats it has. Getting guaranteed weapon handling is just the poo poo icing on the poo poo cake. Give back the 200% optimal range for pistols you cowards!

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
There are legitimate issues to the game that isn't related to getting suspended for using the damage glitch.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
High ends already have enough RNG; you don't need to throw in purples. Likewise most high end drops are crap so feeling good about "good stuff" isn't a proper reason to have lvl 40 purples. Purples had their place when they offered a higher chance of high attribute rolls in the gear budget era; that became irrelevant with the introduction of targeted loot and expanded Alps/Alraldi gear selection.

The issues that bother me are the quality of play issues that I can't avoid no matter what I do in game, particularly the ones that were already fixed/masked in previous TUs.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
Here's footage of some clears of Legendary missions I participated in:

Legendary DUA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6ToK3cgQjk

Legendary Roosevelt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PkkPaQV4uE

Legendary Capitol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_lT226i6Ag

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
When we do legendaries, we usually run a tank (true patriot or not) with Vanguard, a dedicated CC build (jammer pulse is not end-all be all as it turns out especially on Roosevelt) and 2 M1A dps (usually one focus glitcher one glass cannon). Vanguard invulnerability works with ALL shields in the party so it helps the DPS keep damage uptime with crusader shields. As far as alternate DPS, the focus glitcher tried with a fairly god rolled Negotiator's set and it was simply not enough DPS to keep up with focus glitching.

When I matchmake heroics with my CC build, I pretty much dread running into non-optimized "fun dps" because it inevitably means I lose a skill to revive hive as they can't handle the one guy i failed to blind.

Capitol Hill Legendary is an absolute shitshow start to finish, and whoever designed this stage is an absolute sadist.

Olds fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 12, 2020

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
The issue with non-M1A rifles is that every time I run them, I have to ask myself: why am I not running a pistol with bulwark shield instead? There isn't currently a non-M1A classic rifle with a good answer to this.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
Pentagon is the mission with the sequential jammers that have to be destroyed 1 by 1. It ends with a quadcopter fight. DARPA is the mission with the assault drone room and the heat room. It ends with Petrus Brenner calling in mortars against you.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
Hitting the stage 10 DARPA time seems to require a very favorable spawn RNG, meaning no extra warhounds and tanks spawning in your path. A group I know just hit 18 minutes in Legendary DUA yet couldn't hit the 18 minute marker for Heroic DARPA when they attempted it. Its probably best to avoid if you can.

Edit: cheesing Buddy/Lucy with shock trap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99LTAYgmG9c

Olds fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 18, 2020

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

magiccarpet posted:

The blinder fireflies crap out instantly, the foam doesnt lock people in place, the blinder lets npcs walk into cover, the firestarter is a suicide run and now the sendoff that I ground out even with the pass gets killed. I am glad I had to dig 4 pages to find this thread.

In today's episode of "Oh what fun it is to run a status build"

1) While aiming my firefly, I noticed the firefly icon started to flicker madly. Before I could even throw the firefly, it went on cooldown. Without me throwing it.

2) I've only noticed this in the last couple days, but tank classes (at least the ones with guns or even a grenade launcher) can still shoot accurately while blinded.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

Infected posted:

Stealth nerfed by ~40%

You can put Division 2 down for another game that doesn't have complete/accurate patchnotes.

I don't know why they thought they could get away with this. I'd be laughing at the cowardly nature of this but the joke's on us.

Edit: Mind you, the nerf was justified, but combined with their other (justified in isolation) Best-In-Slot nerfs without any other tuning this is gonna hurt for heroic play.

Olds fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 21, 2020

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

Bleusilences posted:

But everyone and their cat was using the baker's dozen.

quick edit: it still does a poo poo ton of damage, just not in the million without crits + headshot.

Baker's dozen was less optimal once you got better ones, like with Boomerang or the big swag Rifleman. The guys who were doing 18 minute Legendary DUA runs could with a team full of buffs hit 18 million damage headshots with Rifleman M1As. Like I said, in isolation the M1A classic nerf was justified.

Edit: Doing a cp4 test it definitely feels like the M1A got the m60 treatment. Guess I'll be switching to the mk17 for the time being.

Olds fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 21, 2020

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

Bleusilences posted:

Let's talk something I bit more positive: I love the fact that you can reroll exotic now. I got a little bit too greedy though and reroll one gun that had 2 max roll and one mediocre one(straight in the middle), I rerolled it and got not even one max roll :(, at least I got 3 roll at 75-80%. And the hyena mask with 2 max roll and one 90% however :). I love that mask.

edit: I am toward the high end toward crit and crit damage but no bonus for rifle and I still could headshot an elit for 1.1 million with crit.

I went from hitting around 3.2 million headshots to 1.7 million headshots on the M1a, so a pretty steep decrease. Exotic reroll is good and at least I'll have close to full power Bullet King and Diamondback to test.

With some hasty reconfiguration I can hit 2.5 million headshots with the mk17 but I had to go all in red to do so. Diamondback with snakebite procced seems to hit around 5+ million, which has some potential but only have 5 bullets to the magazine. Bulletking definitely hits harder now.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
Biggest bug discovered so far: when you hit target allocation on the map it makes this terrible 'boop' noise. Please fix ASAP.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

Psion posted:

we can all quit calling it stealth, it's in the patch notes (now)

continue calling it the regular bullshit M1A nerf, instead :v:

Despite the bitching, the M1a classic did damage far out of line compared to other rifles and needed to be tuned down. While it probably didn't need to be nerfed so hard it only does the same damage per bullet as its CQB relative, I guess it was their way of balancing it for PvP.

However even if it did legitimately slip their minds they were nerfing one of the most used weapons by players, it's still a terrible look from a team that turned the Merciless bug fix into "Massive nerfs anything fun."

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

I think someone in the Discord a while ago had a good thought, one of the main problems with the enemy design as you reach heroic and legendary difficulties is that they don’t have to follow the same rules as the players.

If we want armor then we give up weapon damage but a regular Outcast enemy has more armor then we could dream of plus a gun that will kill you in 5 seconds at most no matter how much armor you have.

If we want really good drones then we have to lose health and weapon damage but once you get up to heroic and legendary a black tusk drone operator will kill you just as easily with their gun as they will with their suicide drones. Its the same situation with any enemy type with a skill similar to a player skill.

If we want to use an SMG or shotgun or pistol then we have to be really close to the enemies but a Hyena shield enemy will gently caress you up just as easily from beyond assault rifles ranges as they will from shotgun ranges. A shotgun in enemy hands - although I believe this was just adjusted though I don’t know to what extent - has triple or more the range of a player shotgun.

This is repeated across every faction and almost every faction enemy type. If every enemy is has huge levels of armor, with the most dangerous skills possible, and a gun that will kill you in 5 (at most) seconds at almost any range then only actual variety in enemies is what they can kill you with. The only option left for players is to kill them as fast as possible because armor doesn’t matter and damage skills aren’t fast enough.

Reducing the M1 Classic’s damage would make sense if it was an outlier in a system that otherwise worked well but everyone using it is a response to a problem within the system itself. “Fixing” the M1 Classic just makes the system even worse.

To exacerbate the issue the AI follows the same logic; when you see snipers, drone operators, and medics rushing you because they have far more health/dps than you, you know something is broken.

A related issue is "flinching"; it appears the threshold to cause enemies to flinch from taking damage (and thus be momentarily stunned) is much higher than it was in TU7. In TU7, I could reliably cause flinching with an AR as long as I kept up my headshots. In TU8 the only gun I've seen reliably flinch enemies was the M1A classic. Its a big part of why sustained fire weapons are not as good in higher difficulties (that and hit reg but that's a separate issue).

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
When I play as a status build, I cringe whenever I play with non glass-cannon or focus using DPS because the mission becomes a serious slog. Mind you these are not fresh from hitting level 40 agents but lvl 300+ with gear that's near or at full damage rolls on every piece, yet they still have issues killing mobs I've blinded or foamed before the duration runs out. This is on top of fighting my own skills, especially firefly which seems to have reverted back to its old behavior of self-destructing for...reasons.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

ZombyDog posted:

The reality is that despite "everyone" knowing about the M1A meta, there are a whole cadre of players that have never followed what's hot or watch youtubers, and run what they think works ( or if they're like me they're experimenting with off meta builds because they don't want to run the current hotness that are more likely to get nerfed as it gains popularity ). Also SHD levels should never be used as a gauge of knowledge or experience - a lot of people out there are just dumb or have the opinion that their build is awesome, it's the other players in the group who are bad.

All that said, I feel you, I do know your pain.

I'm for trying different stuff out, especially post-nerf. To be frank, I got bored of the M1A and was glad it got nerfed (in anticipation for for some gun buffs or enemy nerfs which did come partially). However please consider your suffering support teammates. If I blind the entire wave for 12 seconds and the DPS fails to kill the wave, everyone is miserable. I'm usually loathe to tell players how to "play" their role but frankly the environment is pushing me to it; I can't make up for our DPS deficiency by my own action when my rifle headshots top out at a piddling 300k.

One of my longstanding gripes since they announced a move toward hard roles is the lack of a proper LFG function; not being able to filter for supports or tanks is very much at odds with their intended purpose of pushing "proper" team comps. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had a PUG tank or support agent; it doesn't surprise me most pugs don't know how to work with a healer when they most likely haven't run into one before. In my opinion, it leads to a vicious cycle where support and tank players don't want to PUG and everyone as a result just plays DPS, which leads to most PUGs not understanding how to work with support builds. It's bad enough when I play support, I'm fighting my skills more than the enemy or when I play tank, I'm fighting the onset of carpal tunnel; it's even worse when there's one blinded red enemy left hiding in cover, and none of the DPS wants to run up to him and finish him off.

Carew posted:

One time I ran blinder on a Heroic mission and the dps was so bad that my CC just ended up wiping us constantly because blinded enemy AI is hosed; they all still relentlessly advance towards you, rolling/vaulting/diving/climbing over every obstacle until they completely surround you. When blind finally wore off they'd all be in flanking positions and 1 shot everyone.

The first time I ran my blinder build, I blinded the entire first wave of Stranded Tanker, and someone died...while the enemies were still blinded. I also had to solo the sniper named boss at the end of Invaded Space Admin HQ as a no damage support. Not fun.

Olds fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 23, 2020

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

tweet my meat posted:

Tank support builds can be run pretty comfortably in a PUG, but yeah, trying to play a healer/cc build in PUGs is miserable. Honestly you kinda just have to be good at networking so you can find a good group of players that you can party up with.

I love the shift to well defined roles, but it's definitely not a matchmaking system built with them in mind.

When I PUG as a tank, more often than not, my patience (and my hand) breaks before my shield does. I'm getting too old to be clicking this much!

Carew posted:

Blinded tanks are incredibly buggy and are still capable of unloading on people with 100% accuracy. Minigun tanks will single wield their massive gun and mow everyone down while the gun model is pointing towards the ground and grenade launcher tanks will spam grenades nonstop.

While that didn't happen in this case (not sure what killed him, maybe one enemy deep inside I didn't blind perhaps? still stupid he died), I have noticed this blinded heavy behavior happening with increased frequency. Just add it to the pile of never ending annoyances that comes with the joy of playing a status build unfortunately.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
On my wishlist of things for this game is a proper ping system. There's nothing quite like the frustration of tanking a Cleaner tank while 3 DPS players wail away fruitlessly at him, and the whole time I'm screaming in my head "SHOOT THE SMALL TANK ON THE BACK" only to have to pop the drat thing myself because I couldn't communicate the thought to my team telepathically.

In case you are one of those DPS players:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7wDdKNuKcI

Olds fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 23, 2020

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

H2SO4 posted:

A ping system would definitely be great, but I'd bet the response would be "just run pulse!" Which actually begs the question, if I run pulse and it highlights weak spots/etc, does it mark for everyone in my group or just me? I never thought to ask.

It does highlight for the party, but that doesn't help with cleaner tanks; they have multiple "weakpoints", but only the small tank on the back actually causes his head to be unarmored.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
Rogue encounters are very binary. Either you have a dedicated foam/blinder and jammer guy (hopefully a guy who recognizes the rogue music and switches) who shuts the rogues down with ease, or you don't and you battle endless skill spam. As a solo player I find my heavy blue tank builds will take on 2 rogues quite easily, though it'll take time to whittle their health down.

Olds fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 29, 2020

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

Fabricated posted:

I was trying to do a league run in Coney Island and got a rogue group with pubbies, but since 3 of us were running the M1A Classic/Baker's Dozen build we were able to obliterate 2 of the rogues before they could get their endless skill spam spooled up. If you can get rid of a couple of them right off it's far easier. Coney Island's league timer seems to be poorly chosen because even with us spending a while loving around with rogues we made Stage 10 by several minutes. They still last a comically long amount of time as a non-tank enemy with 3 loving people shooting them in the head non-stop with a full red build and the most busted gun in the game currently.

If you can split rogues off, you can focus them down with DPS but it's not reliable especially in PUG missions. Being a lockdown status guy makes even the most braindead DPS pubbie able to kill rogues with ease in heroic.

Adding to what Cyrano said, the rogue encounters are usually much easier in open world because you have a lot more room to kite them and also have friendly spawns to carry your sorry rear end help you out.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

MunchE posted:

Just discovered this thread but i'm shocked by how much PUGs I'm in everyone thinks you just run 15 reds, m1a1 and the 2 armor pieces they say to use in the youtube videos that come up for "HIGHEST DPS META BEST EVER". Everyone running glass cannon which makes them drop even more instantly to get that MAD DEEPS where if you put something else on you'd actually stay alive to continue providing DPS. Coincidentally it seems like every complaint on reddit comes from guys running that exact cookie cutter build and having the problems everyone has (dying all the time so you can't use your mad DPS, feeling like the only way you're viable is using the 1 gun that's 20% better than all the other guns)

I have like 6 loadouts and only one of them is red focused (negotiator's). CC is really fun, I have a super tanky shield build that is full group support but a nice change of pace, comedy TP/pestilence option obv. Working on a fire status effect build now that isn't the best DPS in the world but is totally heroic viable. Only thing I hate about today's game world is everything is videos now so i have a literal notepad file full of builds

The problem for DPS is that the non-set alternatives don't really come close. Glass cannon and Focus are by far heads and shoulders above every other (selfish) high end damage chest talent. Similarly, Vigilance rules over other DPS backpack talents the same way. This would be fine if their drawbacks were actually noticeable. However by heroic and up the enemy damage output is extremely high to the point that being exposed will get one-shot protection flagged Glass Cannon or not. Similarly getting hit in Heroic+ means you're spending a few seconds healing up or at least ducking in cover, more than enough to recover the 4 second downtime of Vigilance.

(Also massive overheals from Vanguard and shield usage prevents you from taking damage at all)

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

Tardigrade is on my go-to dps build for heroics and challenge carries. If I have a good healer or cc, then I’ll run glass cannon. I can still output a tremendous amount of damage w/o a GC build but my survivability is way way better.

As a non-stop glass cannon user, I prefer using either a crusader shield with a rifle while hiding behind (not in) cover or bulwark shield/Mozambique Special. Being proactive with my protection also lets me keep up Vigilance for much longer.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

The Walrus posted:

It's ok if non-goon friends join? If so please invite sawalrus, bsam777 and grenier55. Thanks!

I've invited you and grenier55, but it shows bsam777 to be in another clan.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
After using Perfect Focus and a Strained L86 with a Digital Scope for a few days, some thoughts:

1) Had a discussion with a clanmate over whether Focus would/should be nerfed. He believes it probably will be and should be nerfed; I'm not so sure. His argument is its advantage over Glass Cannon is too much for not having a damage taken malus; I would say that if anything using Perfect Focus actually makes you more fragile.

2) Perfect Focus big advantage is its insane 60% Weapon Damage bonus. With full Focus and Strained running I was hitting 1.5 million damage headshots with the L86. To put it in perspective with Perfect focus and a Boomerang M1A I was topping out at 6 million damage headshots.

3) However, it does not work with specialization weapons or pistols, a huge negative in my opinion. I was regularly one shotting heroic elites with 25 mill damage glass cannon TAC 50 headshots; with focus (not working) I was only hitting 15 million, not even enough to strip off all their armor. It does work with stationary turrets though.

4) Due to the nature of being scoped in and lack of a shield, I was if anything more vulnerable than I was running a perfect glass cannon build with crusader or bulwark shield. You really need some support from tanks or status effect agents to really get the most out of Focus, whereas I could stay comfortably in the back shielded with crusader and M1A or move up front with Bulwark shield and the Mozambique Special.

5) I think Glass Cannon and Focus are fairly even, considering their pros and cons. I do think the other damage talents need a bit more boost outside of Overwatch (which the main DPS players aren't gonna carry anyways).

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

I am not going to bitch about this. All of the problems since, and including WONY can most likely be attributed to lack of testing.

Agreed, this is mostly a maintenance/stability patch anyways; I appreciate them getting these fixes right for once.

Tag Team may be even more broken than I thought. If you only have one skill on cooldown, it reduces the cooldown by 12 seconds instead of the stated 6.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
They reworked Roosevelt for taking down the final target (hope you like Razorback generators!), which is pretty cool. They even changed the layout somewhat so it didn't quite walk the same. I really wish they went down this road for content more often since they don't have to keep finding new assets. It also makes the rest of the manhunt stuff even more lame in comparison; I'd rather each part have ended with a reworked mission than just another bounty.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

Psion posted:

Next season: each boss has 6 legendary-difficulty rogue agents spawn with them so you'll regret ever saying that

e: they all play random aaron keener-esque smug radio lines at you nonstop

During a run of Lincoln, we had 3 rogues show up mid mission and averox crashed. I ended up soloing all 3 rogues for us.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

The Walrus posted:

oh boy kenly college was really boring, I kinda respect what they were trying to do but it was just so awful.

Everything about Kenly feels very unfinished, including the background details.

Gameplay-wise, when they announced it, I thought it was gonna be a mix of Incursion and Underground. The idea of procedural generated missions along with a changeable or random Global modifier seems to hint at it, but instead its mostly static missions pick-your-path style with a singular global modifier (presumably this aspect was instead implemented in the open world as Directives). I was also expecting that they were expanding expeditions to include the Pentagon area as well as Coney Island, but again it seems development of Expeditions stopped abruptly before they could do that.

Background wise it seems all over the place. Depending on who you ask, Kenly College is 60 km away (Roughly where Johns Hopkins is in Baltimore, where the Dark Winter scenario was run), 20 km away (major college next to a metro stop, University of Maryland College Park), or 5 km away (Howard University which the building and grounds of Kenly seem to be based on).

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
I've had some discussions with people on the discord about issues of the amount of power locked behind SHD levels (mostly the red stats) and it's led to some thoughts on guiding new people through the new postgame oriented around these points:

1) From the way SHD level stats are structured, they are gating a surprising amount of DPS behind hundreds of SHD levels. I estimate that in total there's the equivalent of 1.5 armor pieces of DPS gear locked behind SHD level 1000, a pretty substantial amount of stats. In comparison, the other 3 colors are not worth anywhere near as much.

2) DPS requirements for heroic is fairly high, requiring very well rolled gear and good gear brand synergies (or very well rolled gear sets) and a good amount of SHD levels.

3) However, lower difficulty loot, particularly solo, is very sparse and not very good. Crafting is mostly useless and vendors mostly sell trash.

4) Support builds (status effect and tanks) require very little however and will be significantly more useful to any heroic group than some half built DPS setup.

From the points above, I would recommend the following course of action:

1) When going through WONY story, leave Wall Street and Pathway Park for last, hopefully after you hit level 40. They will give you a free Pointman chest and Mozambique Special pistol that will be the cornerstone of your tank build. To form the rest of your tank build you can either find yourself some Gila/Golan gear or find 4 piece True Patriot and use the Coyote mask I will mention later. Run Bulwark Shield and whatever else. I prefer the Artificer hive myself.

2) Once you hit level 40, craft yourself 4 pieces of Hard Wired gear (not chest) and 2 pieces of skill gear. Wait, I can hear you say, didn't you say crafting was useless? Mostly useless. With skill gear, the core stat is locked so it removes one element of RNG from the gear you craft. Combine that with gear sets having one less minor and you now have a guaranteed useful piece of skill gear. Recalibrate your Hard Wired pieces to status effect and craft a skill brand chest piece with Tag Team and hopefully either skill haste or status effect. Run technician with the Coyote mask so you can still have skill tier 6 or run full skill tier gear with survivalist so you can give your team a DPS buff after inflicting status effects on the enemy (and fire grenades). I recommend using blinder firefly (even with its extreme unreliability its still the most powerful skill) and jammer pulse (shuts down enemy toys and provides an easy way to proc Tag Team).

3) Get to season level 35 and get a Coyote's mask, one of the best exotics you can get.

4) If you did not get a Pointman, I'd recommend joining on Lincoln Memorial runs to get a chance of getting Tardigrade. If you did not get a Mozambique Special, any decent tactical 1911 pistol will do or you can do the Liberty crafting run. If you did not get Coyote's Mask, you can run Jefferson Trade Center to try get one.

5) Early on, match make for bounties. Bounties have named enemies, who are forced to drop better loot regardless of difficulty, and more often than not you can join in bounties midway, making them quick and easy activities to gain loot.

6) Only missions worth matchmaking for loot are Lincoln Memorial (4 named bosses) and District Union Arena (3 named bosses).

7) With either the tank build or status build, you're ready to matchmake into heroic and actually help your team. You can farm up a proper DPS setup afterwards.

8) Recommended SHD point allocations: Weapon Damage/Crit Chance/Crit Damage/Headshot Damage - Hazard Protection/Explosive Resist/Armor/Health - Skill Haste/Skill Healing/Skill Damage/Skill Duration - Stability/Reload/Accuracy/Ammo

Olds fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 15, 2020

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
I don't know how after the Jupiter Roosevelt mission you aren't all convinced Wave 2 agents are robots/cyborgs/androids.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

Statutory Ape posted:

we addressed the PTSD factor quite recently actualy

Didn't quite address the whole EMP pulse that when modified no longer cooks normal human beings but heavily damages Division Agents only.

Guillermus posted:

Then Wave 2 agents are old tech because blinder firefly still missfires (and some other skills too). Black Tusk tech is much more reliable and they could just do some Breakpoint crossover bringing some Skell Technology®

We're the obsolete unsupported T-800 models to the fancy new Black Tusk T-1000s.

Olds fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 16, 2020

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
I don't love Tardigrade; it only activates after its too late and I've already lost Vigilance and using a medpack anyways.

Fun thing I discovered about Space Admin: if you kill the final boss fast enough, you can get the button to end the mission even while the mobs continue to spawn.

Olds fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 19, 2020

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

Psion posted:

well it's temporary armor, isn't it? The point of Tardigrade to me isn't to replace your use of an armor kit but to buy you time to get into cover and use one. I've had games where the latency was significant enough I'd proc tardigrade and have that break before I could get to safety. Obviously that's worst case but it's a safety cushion.

though I guess the other half of it is I never use Tardigrade without TP so a build which is debuffing enemies, protecting teammates, and probably dealing DOT with Pestilence is a pretty strong team support composition.

I had the space admin kill happen when I ran it earlier today. I was expecting it to be a little slower since I didn't bring demolisher firefly but no, he just died.

I'm biased because I run Perfect Glass Cannon/Vigilance with a shield most of the time, but I benefit a lot more from someone bringing Vanguard. It gives a large amount of bonus armor preemptively and provides 5 second invulnerability to my shield as well (which is not in the listed effects).

I will also say the above scenario you describe will most likely trigger your one shot protection, which gives you a second or two of relief to find cover and heal. I've had more than a few times where my shield breaks and in the next instant I was nearly dead, and the only thing keeping me alive was the OSP kicking in.

Olds fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

Psion posted:

i expect that 5s invulnerability to your shield absolutely tips the scales, yeah.

also I'm not entirely sure the one shot protection works as advertised, but vanguard is a really good option too. It's a little more proactive than just tossing on Tardigrade and calling it a day. If I could ever get a good vanguard piece rather than the many mediocre ones I have, I think it'd be a natural fit for my DZ true patriot setup.

Funny story, I got my god rolled Sacrifice while looking for Pointmans at Lincoln Memorial. I was really angry that day. I really wanted that Pointman!

From what I've gleaned, OSP only works once per encounter, though I swear to have seen it proc multiple times on very long drawn out fights. Some enemy damage bypasses OSP altogether (some snipers, status effects) and it doesn't work against opposing players.

I was thinking similarily for my DZ build, but I think I might stick with Unbreakable since I don't think the shield invulnerability works in DZ.