Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
That book is MINE and I will do with it as I please. Sometimes, just to make sure it doesn't come out for whatever reason, I crease it with my thumbnail. Some books that I read again and again are literally missing corners of pages from being folded so many times. My bookshelf is a bloodbath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

You monster.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Just rip the page out after you are done reading it OP.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Aishlinn posted:

You monster.

*wrings hands menacingly*

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Okay grandpa. No one cares what you do with your old paper books.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I like to borrow others' books then eat them with a nice bag of cheetos or doritos.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
dog earring your pages is a gateway to folding your current page inward and longways op turn back now

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

redm posted:

dog earring your pages is a gateway to folding your current page inward and longways op turn back now

This is perverse. :getin:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Xenocides posted:

I'll do it to your paper backs too. I'll go to the public library and do it just to get a cheap thrill.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Xenocides posted:

I chuckle smuggly as I dog-ear a corner of my Kindle paperwhite with a pair of old pliers.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
I chopped up some kindle with an axe a few days ago.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Just look for the last picture you colored, OP.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
This thread is giving me a physical reaction. When I was a kid I had to set my paperbacks with the edge hanging off my desk so the back cover wouldn't get microminutely frayed if I bumped it.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
anyone who thinks paper books are dumb or obsolete can shampoo my scrote with their tongue

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Zippy the Bummer posted:

anyone who thinks paper books are dumb or obsolete can shampoo my scrote with their tongue
Just skip ahead to talking about THE FEEL and THE SMELL already

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Daikloktos posted:

Just skip ahead to talking about THE FEEL and THE SMELL already

... Of the scrotum? Jeez, man, way to make this weird.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

... Of the scrotum? Jeez, man, way to make this weird.

that's actually what i assumed Daikloktos was talking about. maybe i am the weird one

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Speaking of dogs, I had to give mine the heimlich maneuver tonight, she really likes eating just a little too much. And earlier, I had a dream that Howie Mandel was the Man of Honour at my funeral, afaik funerals don't even have that job lol.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i do it to other people's and library books too. people look at me like i shot their dog when i tell them thats how i mark my place in books

i also like my steak well done, so gently caress em

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sure, but what do you do with your dust jackets

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

throw them out when they inevitably get ripped or whatever

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Imagine your grandchildren picking up your book when you're gone. "Wow, you found your grandpa's favorite book! He used to read that all the time" says your daughter, looking over your grandchild's shoulder. They open it up and half the pages are unreadable, cause each were dog-eared, which weakened the paper and eventually caused big rips in the page. "Why are there so many dog-eared pages?" Says the grandchild. "Your grandpa read very slowly and had to stop a lot, so most of these pages are dog eared, actually" says your daughter. The book falls apart in their hands.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
People growing up not bothering to memorize a simple number paired to a general text summary, then wonder why they're in their thirties and their memory is already starting to fail

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
I just read the whole thing in one sitting.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

What?

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
I got like 50 cool rear end book marks for like three dollars

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

unknown butthole posted:

I got like 50 cool rear end book marks for like three dollars

Was a torn piece of looseleaf or yarn just not acceptable?

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
I do that too, but I'm an old.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on

Big Beef City posted:

Was a torn piece of looseleaf or yarn just not acceptable?

sometimes you just want cool stuff. It's not a crime.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I also read them on the toilet and in the tub, to fully permeate the pages with my being.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I bet you fuckers crease the hell out of your spines too. God drat is this thread making me angry

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

an uncreased spine is the calling card of an unloved book

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I remember how miffed my friend got in highschool when I creased his magic cards :lol:

If you don't leave your sign why bother doing anything?!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

You buy books to read them who gives af I've been making notations in my books for years being in Irish Lit meant the more I got into my studies the more adulterated with scratching my books became. I'd dog ear them and put notations on dog ears to save specific spots too.

People who treat books like pristine collector's objects are weird, like how do you not gently caress up paperbacks if you've read them more than once? Paperbacks are fragile as poo poo.
Virtually every serious reader I've met that actually reads and doesn't just tell everyone they do has some seriously creased books that are often falling apart. My Discworld collection is practically in tatters from rereading and I don't even handle most of my books harshly besides writing on them.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

my most read book is a battered copy of the hitchhiker's guide omnibus which doesn't even have a cover anymore. just a lot of love

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I assume you'll halfway take this as a troll question it sounds so absurd to you, but with all sincerity, do you guys wash your hands before handling your books?

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
That's weird. Because I read my books a lot. I even let literal children borrow my books. They're all still readable. Covers are pretty faded. Edges have gone soft. But I can hand a book to another person and it still looks like I gave them a book and not a used cum-rag (full of my love).

Do you all pee on them to mark them as your property? Maybe stop doing that. Paper gets fragile when wet.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Daikloktos posted:

I assume you'll halfway take this as a troll question it sounds so absurd to you, but with all sincerity, do you guys wash your hands before handling your books?

no but i'll often read in the bath if that counts

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

That's weird. Because I read my books a lot. I even let literal children borrow my books. They're all still readable. Covers are pretty faded. Edges have gone soft. But I can hand a book to another person and it still looks like I gave them a book and not a used cum-rag (full of my love).

Do you all pee on them to mark them as your property? Maybe stop doing that. Paper gets fragile when wet.

Where do you live, paper and especially the adhesive on books don't hold up in all environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I have never not been able to remember which page I was on, in any book. I just remember it. When I tell people that they act more freaked out than if I told them I like to lick duck feet (just guessing how they'd react to that I admit)