Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Ruffian Price posted:

Since HDMI 2.1 they do 4K120 just fine, but that rules out the B7 and B8. Getting the B9 (or C9 if you don't have external audio) cheap will involve some hunting. Wait for the new models (should be around April) and see if your big box stores do any stock clearing price drops. Don't get tempted by non-OLEDs in the meantime.

Oh I guess I'm pretty out of date cause last I heard there were like 3 models from any manufacturer that were all out of OPs budget that actually had 2.1 ports on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

big nipples big life posted:

also make sure whatever you buy has a game mode, input latency sucks rear end.

I have a high end LG OLED 4k tv and I use game mode even for movies because I hate any and all processing. Not sure if this is insane or not.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I have a high end LG OLED 4k tv and I use game mode even for movies because I hate any and all processing. Not sure if this is insane or not.

it's not, all that processing is awful, anyone who uses it is the insane one.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Seconding, TCL is the sweet spot for value/quality imo.

is this the real truth? they're the go-to for budget TVs and everyone and their mother has a TCL these days. I always kinda lumped them in as "just a step above the bullshit no-name Polaroid branded panels" but if they're good I may have to get one

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I thought I was going nuts checking out the Apple TV app on the C9, because it applies motion smoothing twice, there's a built-in Apple solution you have to disable (by switching some weirdly named option On, great UX) and it also switches the display profile on the TV so if you didn't turn off TruMotion in all of them you need to do that as well. Imagine turning this poo poo off and still seeing it, the stuff of nightmares

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

SeXReX posted:

Afaik there are like 3 models of TV on the market that have the right HDMI port to handle high refresh rate content.

Monitors can support adaptive sync which is where your gpu tells the TV what framerate the game is running at so it can adjust it's own refresh rate to match which avoids tearing and makes swings in fps less noticable.

Thank you, this is helpful for me. I'll probably stick with what I got because honestly the tearing only occurs in a few games (and I'm not married to any one single game). But in the future I'll keep this in mind and when it comes time to buy something new I'll have to either get an expensive TV with this special HDMI port or a monitor

SeXReX posted:

Oh I guess I'm pretty out of date cause last I heard there were like 3 models from any manufacturer that were all out of OPs budget that actually had 2.1 ports on them

So as long as it has this HDMI 2.1 doohickey it will have refresh rates just like a monitor?

Laslow posted:

I got a midrange 65” LG, it’s IPS not OLED and still looks great. The best thing about LG is WebOS, no laggy Android crap or weird Chinese firmware spying on you, just our pals in S. Korea.

that sounds like a bad thing honestly. I don't want any apple bullshit I just need a TV it only needs the most primitive of operating systems anything else is overkill. The TV needs to display what I want it to display, that is its only task

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

That sucks. Panasonic plasmas were the greatest TVs ever made until OLED came into town. Idiots didn't buy them though because TOO THICK

I'd argue the worst oldest plasma from 2006 beats the poo poo out of the best LCD out now.

I still have a Panasonic plasma as my main TV. It's thick and hard to see during the day and doubles as a space heater in the winter, it rules

E: also it's 50" and literally weighs 50 lbs

Seriously though, I'd only want to replace it with something that looks noticeably better, which is still a pretty short list these days. All the large-ish 4K OLED HDR ones are still too expensive

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Play posted:

So as long as it has this HDMI 2.1 doohickey it will have refresh rates just like a monitor?

HDMI 2.1 just guarantees the bandwidth for high refresh rates it doesn't necessarily mean it will support adaptive sync. (Someone correct me if I'm also wrong about this like I was about 2.1 port availability I really don't keep up with the TV space)

For example of just how out of date I am I'm considering driving 8 hours round trip to get a 14 inch crt

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

SeXReX posted:

Op speedruns

E. Heex4 it literally doesn't matter what TV you get because all your watch is flat shaded anime that looks exactly the same at 480p as it does at 16K

Oh then he shouldn't get an OLED

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Naw I'm pretty sure this is exclusively so Mrs heex4 can watch anime while he plays Glover for the millionth time and then for watching hockey

Won't it be cool in 40 years when sports are actually shot in 120hz and your cable box finally has an HDMI 2.1 port

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
I bought a 55” TCL 6-series and was able to disable the evil “smart tv” features by skipping the initial Roku signup. At that point the TV menus are basically just input selection and some basic A/V options. Only the Apple TV can spy on me.

Mega hint : all TVs are kind of okay now so just buy at the price point you want

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

SeXReX posted:

HDMI 2.1 just guarantees the bandwidth for high refresh rates it doesn't necessarily mean it will support adaptive sync. (Someone correct me if I'm also wrong about this like I was about 2.1 port availability I really don't keep up with the TV space)
one would think a tv would have to meet the hdmi 2.1 specifications to list itself as hdmi 2.1. if you buy an "hdmi 2.1" tv that doesnt support variable refresh rate that should be a consumer protection issue

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
All you need is some dumb screen to cast to of suitable size and it be able to recieve the cast, wifi, bt, chromecast, whatever.

Everyone has a device to store and cast media, the screen itself is the least worthwhile part.

High definition is generally pointless.

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 2, 2020

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Personally, if I can't get Panasonic, I go with the Sony flagship. They make an LED (Z9F) and an OLED (A9G), take your pick. I go with LED for Sony, for now.

Panasonic seems to be on absolute top with regard to OLED in their flagships, but the bastards won't make them available in the USA. I think apologists are full of BS, because they could easily allow a direct ship option if they wanted.

Not sure what the point of 8K is unless you're using wall size screens / projectors.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Telebite posted:

Personally, if I can't get Panasonic, I go with the Sony flagship. They make an LED (Z9F) and an OLED (A9G), take your pick. I go with LED for Sony, for now.

Panasonic seems to be on absolute top with regard to OLED in their flagships, but the bastards won't make them available in the USA. I think apologists are full of BS, because they could easily allow a direct ship option if they wanted.

Not sure what the point of 8K is unless you're using wall size screens / projectors.

What does Panasonic even sell in the US any more? The only thing I associate with them are TVs and cordless phones.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

SeXReX posted:

For example of just how out of date I am I'm considering driving 8 hours round trip to get a 14 inch crt

what IS adaptive sync even? this is like a bad dream, a confusing labyrinth of TV/monitor design buzzwords and concepts that I don't understand

looking at the TVs that are HDMI 2.1 they're all like 2 or 3k for a 65 inch so that'll probably have to wait anyways

Kryostic
Mar 25, 2016

What does Panasonic even sell in the US any more? The only thing I associate with them are TVs and cordless phones.

Cameras (Panasonic & Lumix brand) and 'toughbook' laptops. They sell like you said cordless phones and whatnot but it's mostly just cameras.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

A Grand Egg posted:

All you need is some dumb screen to cast to of suitable size and it be able to recieve the cast, wifi, bt, chromecast, whatever.

Everyone has a device to store and cast media, the screen itself is the least worthwhile part.

High definition is generally pointless.

You’re pointless

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

Everytime I look around, I see
So much drama goin down
So much fakeness goin down
omg check the short throw https://www.amazon.com/VAVA-Theatre-Projector-Lumens-Android/dp/B07XGM6YGQ

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
So much fakeness goin down

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Buy all of them. Cover your entire house with TV’s.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I want to get a 4K projector to replace my 1080 projector since it’s one of the few cases 4K would actually matter but I feel like in less than 5 years I’ll be able to buy a 130” 8k OLED screen that comes rolled up in a box for 2 grand.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Play posted:

what IS adaptive sync even?
simply when the display draws a new frame when the console/pc sends it a new frame to draw. otherwise you try to draw a new frame every 1/###th of a second regardless of whether the console/pc can draw the frames that fast

sounds like nothing but its way way better

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
We bought a Vizio P Quantium 65" for like $800 with free delivery and wall mounting a couple of months back. A year or two from now OLED is either going to be dirt cheap, replaced by microLED or severely undercut by dual layer LCDs offering similar contrast at higher brightness levels for a fraction of the cost for anyone that doesn't need a super thin display.

I'm good, we will move this TV from the den to the living room in a year or two.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You should get one of those curved TVs, OP.

Then report back to the rest of us what the point of having it curved is.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

The point is we can do it now, so let's do it and see if anyone buys it

See also: phones with that useless edge display

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Applewhite posted:

report back to the rest of us what the point of having it curved is
:dong:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Applewhite posted:

You should get one of those curved TVs, OP.

Then report back to the rest of us what the point of having it curved is.

Curved 4K 55” make good computer monitors

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
curved monitors try to dictate how far away you should see from. aint no monitor gonna be the boss of me

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
My TV:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
zipper over his face and supporting his own knees like an idiot

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Adaptive sync is also great because it allows you to properly emulate game systems that run at all sorts of weird refresh rates like how gameboys run at 59.7 hz or the mortal kombat arcade games run at 53.2hz

If you ever wondered why lots of emulator feel like they are "stuttering" when scrolling it's usually because of that, PC monitors used to run at exactly 60hz while the emulated games ran at something slightly less, and the games would either have to run too fast or occasionally repeat the same frame twice to make up for it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Three Olives posted:

We bought a Vizio P Quantium 65" for like $800 with free delivery and wall mounting a couple of months back. A year or two from now OLED is either going to be dirt cheap, replaced by microLED or severely undercut by dual layer LCDs offering similar contrast at higher brightness levels for a fraction of the cost for anyone that doesn't need a super thin display.

I'm good, we will move this TV from the den to the living room in a year or two.

I'm still rocking my Samsung 65" plasma because after I got that, 3D TVs came out and I had no use for them. I'm not big on Smart TVs and have no used for curved. I've been waiting for the price to come down on things like these but I feel like I'll always be waiting on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://www.rtings.com