Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I chopped down a load of nettles, dried them out, and now I'm pretending it's tea. Surprisingly drinkable, and a snack at the end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup

A Brita filter jug would also clean it right up. The water here is pretty much undrinkable without one.

Nettle Soup

quote:

I don't have an exact recipe, mostly going by eye, so this will be largely guesswork. Since this is also down to personal preference and how intense the individual spices you got are, I would encourage making small batches and seeing what you like.

10 pt Ceylon cinnamon
5-10 pt Cassia cinnamon
4 pt Powdered Ginger
1-2 pt Cardamom
1 pt Cloves
2 pt Black Pepper
3 pt Chilli Flakes

I just throw all of this in one of those bladed spice/coffee grinder things, and pulverize it until I get worried about it overheating.

Edit: It's me again, I've actually whipped out the scales and have come to issue an urgent amendment:
I've overstated the quantities for black pepper and chilli flakes, and maybe also for cloves. We have a good scale for baking, but it only goes in 1 gram increments, and while I used 15-16g of cinnamon, I appear to have stayed under 1g for cloves, pepper and chilli, but it's really hard to tell.

As much as it pains me, it's probably easier to go with counting the cloves and 1/8th teaspooning the pepper and chili.

My partner has been making chai lately. It takes a bit of experimentation to get there, but it's very good. Pinning it down to an exact recipe is kinda hard, but it's worth trying!