Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

What are your most embarrassing retro gaming blunders? For me I do have to admit it took me about 30 hours (realistically about a couple months) to beat Super Metroid for the first time, first problem I have to admit was the pitfall bridge in Brinstar until I realized I could run by holding down B, and then I was stuck in the room in Ridley's lair with the Golden Space Pirates because I didn't know the trick to defeating them. I do remember the day I finally beat Super Metroid, it was about my bed time and the rest of my family came into my room and congratulated me on my achievement.

Another confession I do have to get off my chest is that I have never beaten a Zelda game in my life, even though I have a bunch of them, I just couldn't find the time to beat them.

What are other retro video game confessions you want to get off your chest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've never beat the original Super Mario Bros.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011
I hate the original Metroid, despite otherwise adoring the series. I just can't stand it. I felt like I was always grinding for health, I dislike having to bomb every wall in order to find secrets, and I hate how enemies can damage you while you're stuck in room transitions.

I also have trouble going back to Super Metroid. Really cool game, but the controls feel super floaty compared to Zero Mission.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I thought The Rocketeer would be a fun game to rent as a kid.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I gave up on Ecco The Dolphin after 5 minutes as a kid and haven't played it since.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
The spinning barrels in Carnival Night Zone 2 in Sonic 3. You jump on them and they bounce. If you time it right, they bounce farther. How the gently caress is my nine year old rear end supposed to know that I can just control it with the d-pad???

I’m equal parts embarrassed that I couldn’t figure it out and resolute in my belief that it’s bad game design.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I struggle against Babby's First Boss (the plant thinger that does a wave movement) in Super Metroid, every time, without fail. Even though I can tell it's not a hard boss, I am a complete failure at it.

Worst fandom opinions confession: I don't like Final Fantasy VI or IX.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
I played Pool of Radiance for two years, but my characters never got enough experience to get to level 2. Re-attempting it as an adult, I realized I had made every character a quad-class magic user/fighter/cleric/thief and experience was going into each of those classes, so even though I probably had enough exp for a level 5 character, they were still roaming around the slums getting owned by kobolds.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I actually liked deadly towers and would make maps on graph paper.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009

Dell_Zincht posted:

I gave up on Ecco The Dolphin after 5 minutes as a kid and haven't played it since.

As a kid i always ended up terrified by going down deep. It was the drowning aspect, as well as the darkness. Had the same issue drowning in sonic, i would absolutely panic.

Confession: I have never played a castlevania, or mainline zelda (just the one for GB, which is stuck.in my GBC).

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

When I was a little kid and even though I started with Generation 1, I was scared of going into the grass in Pokemon, it wasn't until I was just a bit older and by the time Gen 3 was current that I had the bravery to go into the grass.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Cockashocka posted:

When I was a little kid and even though I started with Generation 1, I was scared of going into the grass in Pokemon, it wasn't until I was just a bit older and by the time Gen 3 was current that I had the bravery to go into the grass.

That's nothing to be ashamed of.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I did not beat Diablo 1 legitimately. I got all the way to Diablo, but couldn't finish the job without the help of a trainer.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
As a kid, I was terrified of loading Shining Force 2 because the damaged cart would sometimes cause the game to blast music and told me it deleted my save. I later figured to mute the tv and made two saves every time, some years later.

Also as a kid, enemies that killed me in one hit or recovered from damage quickly were no-go zones in any game.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 2, 2020

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Freakazoid_ posted:

I did not beat Diablo 1 legitimately. I got all the way to Diablo, but couldn't finish the job without the help of a trainer.

i beat diablo 1 legit but im also the rear end in a top hat kid who downloaded the artemis trainer and pk'd people with one click in town for laughs

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I never beat A Link to the Past because the last three dungeons or so completely killed my momentum.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Is using save states on old nes games uncool? Because I do that with the ones that don’t have a save feature/password system.

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

sponges posted:

Is using save states on old nes games uncool? Because I do that with the ones that don’t have a save feature/password system.

I think it's alright if you use them sparingly, like save at the start of a level or something and load them when you're out of lives.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I was stuck on the pirate ship in super Mario rpg for a long time until I got my mom to solve the fiddle for me.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I was stuck on the pirate ship in super Mario rpg for a long time until I got my mom to solve the fiddle for me.

I would have never gotten that on my own. I solved it through the power of "Having the guide."

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I was so sure the word was "corals"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Pearls, but I missed the one clue that differentiated it from Oyster, so there was a fair amount of confusion on my part until I went back and found I had missed the clue that gave specific letters.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

my gamer shame involving super mario rpg and that puzzle is that i solved it at the end of the rental period and was so jealous and petty of anybody that would continue my save file because it took me so long to solve the puzzle that i deleted the file before returning it...

..and then my dad said i could keep it for one more day. got back up to Bowyer, though.

alternate shame, i keep watching retro pals streams and now i want a xavixport with the fishing game. i already bought that urban outfitters kinect bootleg!

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I struggle against Babby's First Boss (the plant thinger that does a wave movement) in Super Metroid, every time, without fail. Even though I can tell it's not a hard boss, I am a complete failure at it.

Worst fandom opinions confession: I don't like Final Fantasy VI or IX.

If you hold L+R while crouching you will shoot straight up, so you can safely farm health from the corner without getting hit. I don’t know why no guides I’ve seen ever mention this.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I can beat five of the Super Mario 2: 6 Golden Coins stages in like an hour, but I have never beaten the Space Zone.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I don't think I've ever actually completed the hard mode/second quest for Super Mario Bros.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

YeahTubaMike posted:

I can beat five of the Super Mario 2: 6 Golden Coins stages in like an hour, but I have never beaten the Space Zone.

That second level with the star maze is the hardest part of the game. You're definitely not alone there.

Mine is from Illusion of Gaia. Up through the Incan ruins area, I was doing pretty well and seemed to be figuring out the game. But I cannot seem to beat the Incan boss and it's making me feel really dumb.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

When I was in high school, I bought Shantae on release, due to all the hype of how impressive of a game it would be. I played like half of it and really wasn’t feeling like it was all that great of a platform game (I still stand by this, the hype was essentially just about the graphics in the end).

I had heard that it was rare, but since I found my copy so readily I assumed that wasn’t really true, so I sold my barely played complete copy online for the $30 I paid for it, to recover my hard-earned pocket money.

Coulda paid for a few textbooks a few years later if I had held onto it.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
I don't care what AVGN or anyone else says, I legitimately enjoyed Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout. It's not perfect but I played the hell out of it as a kid and I still enjoyed it when I played it many years later as an adult.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Karmine posted:

The spinning barrels in Carnival Night Zone 2 in Sonic 3. You jump on them and they bounce. If you time it right, they bounce farther. How the gently caress is my nine year old rear end supposed to know that I can just control it with the d-pad???

I’m equal parts embarrassed that I couldn’t figure it out and resolute in my belief that it’s bad game design.

In a game where most problems (enemies, special stages, platforms, bosses, etc.) are solved by jumping, it makes sense to try and use jumping to get out of the spinning barrel section. I do think it is bad game design (or maybe I am just defending my dumb kid brain, idk).

I also got stuck there during many rentals of Sonic 3. I think my brother and I even wrote in to Sega Visions (the old official Sega magazine) asking for help on it!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Bloopsy posted:

I don't care what AVGN or anyone else says, I legitimately enjoyed Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout. It's not perfect but I played the hell out of it as a kid and I still enjoyed it when I played it many years later as an adult.

When pressed, I will admit that I think Mickey Mania is likely one of the best - if not THE best - Sega Genesis game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Metal Gear Rex kicked my rear end so bad I quit playing for like six months before I finally came back to beat it. However, my nemesis and I would later team up in MGS 4.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I was Oddjob.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Animal-Mother posted:

I was Oddjob.

Bastard. You're prohibited from using all weapons except the Klobb.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I loved Super Metroid when I played it back in 1994. I thought it was one of the best games I ever played. But I was so pissed off at the ending that it made me never want to play the game again. This is apparently a very weird opinion to have because tons of people think it's one of the best endings ever?? It's identical to the NES ending! OH WOW IT'S A GIRL I DIDN'T ALREADY KNOW THAT FOR 7+ YEARS SINCE THE FIRST GAME

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Mine is from Illusion of Gaia. Up through the Incan ruins area, I was doing pretty well and seemed to be figuring out the game. But I cannot seem to beat the Incan boss and it's making me feel really dumb.

That's the first boss! You owe it to yourself to beat it. It's one of my favorite games of all time. Easily in my top 5.

food court bailiff posted:

When pressed, I will admit that I think Mickey Mania is likely one of the best - if not THE best - Sega Genesis game.

It's very good but it got releases on like a half dozen consoles. It even got a PS1 port.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
In SNES Shadowrun when you see the injured shaman in the cemetery I immediately thought huh I should use a slap patch on this guy which is the correct thing to do but I must have been a pixel off when selecting to use it on him because it didn't work so I just figured out, I guess not. And because of missing that step I wasn't able to figure out magic and figured you never learned any (I assumed you just hired the other folks in the game for that) and went through the whole game just shooting folks.

Bloopsy posted:

He's covered plenty of games that are just fine or even really good, no shame in that.

I never actually played a Pokémon game, ever.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

That's the first boss! You owe it to yourself to beat it. It's one of my favorite games of all time. Easily in my top 5.
There is a newly released patch that includes the second form of Dark Gaia, which was dummied out for some reason.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Scalding Coffee posted:

There is a newly released patch that includes the second form of Dark Gaia, which was dummied out for some reason.

No clue how I never heard of that especially after reading the tcrf page for the game 100 times. I can't wait to check it out! Thank you!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I'm really enjoying this game. It strikes a great balance between 'challenging, but not unfair' and 'not ridiculously easy'. Even sucking so bad at beating this boss is reminding me of struggling with games as a kid in the '90s,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm really enjoying this game. It strikes a great balance between 'challenging, but not unfair' and 'not ridiculously easy'. Even sucking so bad at beating this boss is reminding me of struggling with games as a kid in the '90s,

It does a lot of cool stuff later in the game too. There's this one part with these rooms where you got to pick out the differences between them and the game even gives you a mouse pointer. Also the music is incredible. Really great ending too.