Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

I've never played a Zelda or Final Fantasy game.
I've read about them so much over the years they are like old friends, but I have never sat down and played any of them.
I guess when I was a kid it as all about the arcade ports for me and having such a tiny budget back then meant unless a game was super exciting to me I would never get it.

So, I'd like to change all that, I like games from the 16 bit era onwards mainly, and after decades of games coming out it's a bit overwhelming knowing where to start, any tips?

I can pretty whole heartedly say to start with ALTTP as far as Zelda goes. For FF I would also skip ahead to 3(6), and if you like it either progress to 7, or go back and play some remakes of 3-5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

peter gabriel posted:

So, I'd like to change all that, I like games from the 16 bit era onwards mainly, and after decades of games coming out it's a bit overwhelming knowing where to start, any tips?
A Link To The Past is basically the most popular Zelda game of its generation. It's SNES and easily emulated, and since it's the third game in the series, it has a maturity of design and presentation that I think makes it the best Zelda title to get into the series if you want to start from the early games. It would be my personal recommendation for starting out and seeing how the gameplay formula works for you.

When it comes to classic Final Fantasy games, I would not bother starting any earlier than at least Final Fantasy 4. The games before that were relatively primitive and just less fun. Of the SNES trilogy (4/5/6) FF5 is my personal favourite due to the job system that it pioneered. It's just the most fun from a gameplay perspective and it has the classic "elemental crystals are important, go save the crystals" premise that defined the early Final Fantasy series without turning into too much of a stereotypically convoluted Final Fantasy plot. It's a very light and enjoyable game that suits casual very well, where 4 and 6 are all about their epic plotlines.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Can't go wrong with A Link To The Past. Final Fantasy IV (originally released as II in the west) would be a good one to start on if you haven't played RPG as it's mechanically the simplest, but the original western snes release was cut down in unfortunate ways, so go for a later one. The DS version is a remake, not a remaster and kind of divisive, but I haven't played it myself. If you had played other RPGs but just not final fantasy somehow FFVI is a frequent contender for best in the series. It's also not super complicated, you could start there if you wanted, but it's more complicated than FFIV.

Both series, outside of a small number of direct sequels, don't have any meaningful ties between the games so you aren't missing out on anything not starting from the beginning.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Awesome thanks, I'll start with A Link To The Past!
My gaming time is low enough that that will do me for ages if I dig it, I am sure I will, I loved most Nintendo stuff back then and it's always so highly praised I'm certain I'll like it

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

Awesome thanks, I'll start with A Link To The Past!
My gaming time is low enough that that will do me for ages if I dig it, I am sure I will, I loved most Nintendo stuff back then and it's always so highly praised I'm certain I'll like it

I've been playing it again on the snes mini before bed, and I'll tell you it has aged about as well as any 16 bit game you could compare it to. Take your time and explore! It's a very charming world to spend time in.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's rare that you see three goons just spontaneously agree with each other like that, but Link To The Past is just that good.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yeah that's a slam dunk for sure, one thing I do know about old JRPGs on here is they can be divisive
This weekend then - LTTP, CRT, tons of cheetos

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Yeah, LTTP did so much right out of the gate. Graphics are iconic, but a little simple for today, but the game world has all sorts of little things for you to kick around.
And yes, play it blind, lift every rock, bash every bush, swat every chicken.

As far as 16-bit Final Fantasies on SNES, I’m not sure if they’re really a “you just had to grow up with them”.
I pick up dragon quest 3 and 4 on NES and they don’t have much staying power for me.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am bashing bushes, digging it so far :)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I am only going to give you one, maybe two tips right now. And they are going to be super vague so...

Dont forget you can throw bombs over things and try throwing everything you can into the water when given the chance.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kazvall posted:

I am only going to give you one, maybe two tips right now. And they are going to be super vague so...

Dont forget you can throw bombs over things and try throwing everything you can into the water when given the chance.

Noted thanks :)

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

I used to go into Time Trial mode of Mario Kart 64 and just explore certain tracks, mostly royal speedway and explore the courtyard. I also did this in Double Dash if I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

When the driving instructor in parappa the rapper says "When I say Boom Boom Boom, you say Bam Bam Bam, no pause in between, come on let's jam" she is not just laying down a scat beat, she is in fact telling you exactly what the rhythm is for the upcoming section.

I realized this five minutes ago. I have played through the game several times over the past twenty years