Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I always saw the N64 controller as a "Hedging our bets" situation. They went for the first controller designed with 3D movement in mind but also kept the D-pad just in case 3D gaming fell flat. The whole "We offer multiple options to players!" argument holds no water; I struggle to think of any games that allowed for use of either the C-stick or the D-pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Hell, my confession is I was into FPS games at that time( well, I still am), and still did not like GoldenEye at all.

i never got why people love that game so much, or any rareware game for that matter

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

JethroMcB posted:

I always saw the N64 controller as a "Hedging our bets" situation. They went for the first controller designed with 3D movement in mind but also kept the D-pad just in case 3D gaming fell flat. The whole "We offer multiple options to players!" argument holds no water; I struggle to think of any games that allowed for use of either the C-stick or the D-pad.

the kinda bad star soldier 64 game that no one played and mischief makers. bangai-o used the analog stick and the d-pad

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

i never got why people love that game so much, or any rareware game for that matter

Ah come on now, Donkey Kong 64 is a classic.

Perfect Dark was Goldeneye but better.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I just want Viva Piņata to come back.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I just want Viva Piņata to come back.

played through both of them last year. they're still good, just a matter of having a 360 hooked up.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The Voice of Labor posted:

played through both of them last year. they're still good, just a matter of having a 360 hooked up.

I've legit considered getting an Xbox One just for Rare Replay, and having those games, the Banjo games, and Jet Force Gemini in one place. Everything else in the collection is an added bonus.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

They did make a few solid games, but Rare is the most overrated developer out there.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dell_Zincht posted:

And yeah the N64 controller is one of the worst controllers of all time and I honestly don't know how people can say it's better than Sony's Dualshock.

I don't have a problem with the N64 controller, but I wouldn't got that far, jeez.

Though I've also never understood the "I only have two hands!!!!" complaint because most games never expected you to use anything but two parts of the controller. You can easily apply the same goofy logic to the Dualshock - I only have two thumbs but Sony expects me to use eight buttons AND two analog sticks at the same time????

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 10, 2020

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Random Stranger posted:

They did make a few solid games, but Rare is the most overrated developer out there.
They did make some awful poo poo sometimes. Obviously they made several hits, but most of their stuff was pretty average.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

They did make some awful poo poo sometimes. Obviously they made several hits, but most of their stuff was pretty average.

Not a fan of Taboo: The Sixth Sense?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Shibawanko posted:

Goldeneye was one of the first FPS games - and certainly one of the first on consoles - that took the genre past "run through hallways shooting bad guys" with the addition of mission objectives. It was also just a well-designed game that rewarded multiple playthroughs and experimentation.

Multiplayer...was popular because everybody had it, and it was something to do with friends.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I've legit considered getting an Xbox One just for Rare Replay, and having those games, the Banjo games, and Jet Force Gemini in one place. Everything else in the collection is an added bonus.

Rare Replay is a really well-done compilation...even if a lot of the games are not. The controls for JFG (a game I loved and somehow had no problem playing repeatedly on the 64) are pretty lousy, though.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I don't get why it's always having extraneous buttons that sets people off about the N64 controller, they don't do anything! If a game doesn't support them you can just ignore them, and if you're playing Mortal Kombat... well you and you alone have touched an N64 dpad.

GoldenEye was the poo poo in elementary school. Its aged like a turd in the microwave, but at least the team went on to create TimeSplitters, the pinnacle of shooter kind.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Despite playing nearly every D&D game made for the PC from the late 80s to early 2000s (including but not limited to the SSI Goldbox series, the Krynn/Dragonlance series, Eye of the Beholder series, and Baldur's Gate 1 and 2...and Hillsfar, ugh) the only one I've ever played all the way through/beaten is the original campaign of Neverwinter Nights 1.

Edit: The 2000s Neverwinter Nights, if that wasn't obvious... The actual original Neverwinter Nights I never played, but I think that was only online? No real single player campaign?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 10, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bet somewhere, there's is still an og Neverwinter Nights server going

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

i never got why people love that game so much

It has James Bond villains and supports four players, I get not liking the game but the appeal is pretty obvious IMO. Also the bar is really low for licensed games and was especially low at the time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Randaconda posted:

I bet somewhere, there's is still an og Neverwinter Nights server going

I dunno if anyone reverse engineered it or stole the server source from circa 91 AOL

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Did a lot of neat stuff in 3d that fps mostly didn't do at the time, on a console. Like having guys that react to being shot in different places or more damage for headshots, or guards that patrol around or hear you if you use louder guns or missions with non-linear objectives. Other fps at the time was things like shadow warrior or quake 2 for comparison. Also a first time people to play fps deathmatch if you didn't have a internet.

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008
I went into hiding from COVID Friday, March 13. I've lost track but I think this Friday will make 13 or 14 weeks self-imposed isolation with only limited trips to the grocer or liquor store. Like a lot of people I have been whiling away the time on the internet and playing video games.

I have trouble just listening to a podcast or streaming some documentary so I tend to open a small game window at the same time. This game can't be so involved that I'm unable to concentrate on the background dialogue or tab over if I can kind of see something visually interesting going on in the background window. I was playing a lot of vanilla Nethack, but after a few ascensions I got bored. If I was stuck in the game needing a bunch of ascension equipment or spellbook I would just #quit and try to find something else to play. Around the end of March I landed on Minesweeper.

I became obsessed. Sure I was winning some, but I was getting better. You learn the basic tricks; the patterns that always hold true. The 121, the 1221, the 311 to the border. I was learning stuff that was advanced for me. Knowing where the mines must be and therefore where they absolutely cannot be. Sure it sucks to lose out on an unavoidable 50/50 shot on the 99th mine, but I could tell I was at least getting to that point more and more often.

One thing eluded me, though. I called it the 8 spot. I single square completely surrounded by mines which once revealed would have the number 8 beneath. In thousands of games, I had never seen it once. I had seen plenty of 7's. There were either black or a dark, menacing red though I think I was imagining the redness. I knew an 8 was possible because on losses I could sometimes see them there in the mine grid (if I even bothered to look and not just click on the sad face to start again). Still I had never successfully beaten the grid with an 8 intact.

That became my goal. Thousands maybe tens of thousands of games over the next 2 1/2 months. I would beat the grid and find the 8.

Finally, tonight. It was a very satisfying grey.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Banjo-Kazooie was one of my favorite N64 games as a kid. I thought Rare could do no wrong, I even remember spending hours on their website just scanning through stuff. I think they had like a section with jokes or something that I would read and re-read.

Then I played the one-two punch of Donkey Kong 64 and Jet Force Gemini.

I never beat DK64 because, even as a 12 year old kid, I realized I would never be able to do it. There were just too many things to do. Jet Force Gemini ended for me when I realized I had to get all the Tribals.

I never played Banjo Tooie, I was too scared of ruining my good memories.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I still think Donkey Kong Country 2 is the best Donkey Kong game and the only one that holds up in any real fashion until well after Rare lost the license and they fell out of the purview of this subforum.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

I still think Donkey Kong Country 2 is the best Donkey Kong game and the only one that holds up in any real fashion until well after Rare lost the license and they fell out of the purview of this subforum.

The order is:

Donkey Kong '94
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Donkey Kong (original arcade)

And then everything else.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I never understood the hate for "Collect all the Tribals" in Jet Force Gemini because it just means "Play a new portion of existing levels you didn't have access to before with the other two characters." It's not a huge undertaking. Though I'm slightly biased, because my younger brother deleted my JFG save right before the FIRST Mizar fight. To get back there I had to collect half of the Tribals for a second time, so I was inured to finding those little bastards by that point.

On the subject for Rare being overrated: I never cared for the DKC games, and thought they were ugly as sin. Prerendered sprites are rarely well done; Super Mario RPG looks good for the most part, but there are some characters/environments that still suffer from that indistinct, grainy look.

Random Stranger posted:

The order is:

Donkey Kong '94
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

:hmmyes:

DK '94 is in need of a true sequel

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 11, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Don't forget you could accidentally kill the Tribals and have to restart the level. Some of them are intentionally placed in spots where you're very likely to do so.

I also never cared about the DKC games that much, but I tend to be pretty uninterested in pure platformers in general.

My hot take is that Banjo-Tooie is overrated and is full of the kind of excesses that led directly into DK64. It still has some charm, I wouldn't call it a completely terrible game, but its low points are really low. Like the fact that it has a hi-larious character who's just one big gay joke. Thanks, Rare.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No Mercy was the best N64 game

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

The order is:

Donkey Kong '94
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

I forgot about '94 (which is awesome) and have never played Jungle Beat but as a dude who used to get drunk and play through the three stages of og arcade Donkey Kong on a single quarter to win bar bets it is not a good game at all.

JethroMcB posted:

DK '94 is in need of a true sequel

The Mario vs Donkey Kong games were explicitly sequels to DK '94, literally developed off of a Gamecube-to-GBA link cable friendly update of the original title, but nobody seemed to buy or play them :shrug:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

JethroMcB posted:

On the subject for Rare being overrated: I never cared for the DKC games, and thought they were ugly as sin. Prerendered sprites are rarely well done; Super Mario RPG looks good for the most part, but there are some characters/environments that still suffer from that indistinct, grainy look.

i got donkey kong country one christmas because everyone said how good it was, i did finish it but felt deflated by the end of the game, i just didn't think it was that fun and very repetitive. it's also ugly but the real problem is that it's fundamentally a "europlatformer" with a collectathon element. it has these gigantic hitboxes for your characters and the enemies because the sprites are big and fuzzy, and to compensate the game makes the jumping on enemies very forgiving (until it doesn't, like with the snakes on the ground), this means the game is fundamentally very easy and just relies on level memorization more than improvisation.

there are lots of secrets but usually the reward isn't fun. i get to fly around a room with an ostrich collecting five billion ostrich statues, or play the same balloon minigame again. this'd be okay on its own but if you add it to how repetitive the game is it starts to suck. secrets follow a very predictable pattern, levels are pallette swapped and recycled, the controls are sometimes off and the frog controls horribly, the bosses are also very dull. it's the only game i actually ended up trading with someone else because i didn't really want to play it anymore

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Count me as another person who got hyped into Donkey Kong Country, and found the blurry rear end graphics were ugly as sin. It was a passable platformer that was fun enough -- I liked the speed it played at and the minecart levels. But just really hard on the eyes to look at, and I couldn't see why it was supposed to be this technical achievement.

To contribute:

I felt this way about early 3D too, especially early console 3D. Playing Star Fox on SNES, there were always the Nintendo Power people acting like they had this amazing revolutionary 3D space shooter, and on the other I just looked across the room at my PC which in the same year had X-Wing, Wing Commander, and Descent on it, all of which had smooth 3D gameplay and cool flightstick controls. Star Fox in comparison is just a lovely rail shooter that feels stiff and restrictive. Maybe I just hate rail shooters? Is that an unpopular opinion?

I just couldn't understand how people could get excited to look at early polygonal 3D when they could be playing beautiful 16-bit sprite games like FF6 and Secret of Mana. I can appreciate 3D gaming now, I just didn't have vision to see it's future potential when I was a kid.

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 12, 2020

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Maybe I just hate rail shooters? Is that an unpopular opinion?

Look who's never played Rez

granted the game type is sort of tricky to judge because it's inseparable from showing off the hardware. is space harrier cool and good or is it memorable for being a really impressive demo of scaling? same with panzer dragoon, are the games good or do they show up the strengths of the saturn hardware?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

The Voice of Labor posted:

Look who's never played Rez

It's true. I'll confess this in the confessions thread.

Just watched some gameplay on youtube and... wow I think this game would pair wonderfully with edibles. Is the gameplay actually good?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

rez is wonderful

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rez is friggin incredible, one of my favorite games of all time, and its insanely depressing how bad the pseudo-sequel is

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Count me as another person who got hyped into Donkey Kong Country, and found the blurry rear end graphics were ugly as sin. It was a passable platformer that was fun enough -- I liked the speed it played at and the minecart levels. But just really hard on the eyes to look at, and I couldn't see why it was supposed to be this technical achievement.

To contribute:

I felt this way about early 3D too, especially early console 3D. Playing Star Fox on SNES, there were always the Nintendo Power people acting like they had this amazing revolutionary 3D space shooter, and on the other I just looked across the room at my PC which in the same year had X-Wing, Wing Commander, and Descent on it, all of which had smooth 3D gameplay and cool flightstick controls. Star Fox in comparison is just a lovely rail shooter that feels stiff and restrictive. Maybe I just hate rail shooters? Is that an unpopular opinion?

I just couldn't understand how people could get excited to look at early polygonal 3D when they could be playing beautiful 16-bit sprite games like FF6 and Secret of Mana. I can appreciate 3D gaming now, I just didn't have vision to see it's future potential when I was a kid.

yeah i remember reading about starfox in old game magazines but i couldnt even really tell what i was looking at, it looked like a jumbled mess of shapes so i passed

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I just couldn't understand how people could get excited to look at early polygonal 3D when they could be playing beautiful 16-bit sprite games like FF6 and Secret of Mana.
If we're going to just use those as examples, I for one am not exactly an RPG fan (and can't loving stand JRPG's), so I'd definitely have been all over Star Fox rather than either of those two.

There's my confession :colbert:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I got fed up with companions getting stuck on things like 10 minutes after getting the second one in Secret of Mana and just put the game down.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Dell_Zincht posted:

Let's also not forget the utter stupidity of the Rumble Pak, which when connected meant you couldn't use the Controller Pak at the same time, and some early games didn't support hot-swapping, which meant you wouldn't be able to save your game.

Early games wouldn't have supported the rumble pack though?

Were there games that had rumble support and also refused to save to the cart?

Hell I think my retro confession is I have no idea what the n64 memory card was for and I never used mine once and I got the n64 on launch day.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

A good few, generally third-party games that didn't want to spring for the extra manufacturing cost of including EEPROM (or later, Flash RAM) in the cartridge. Games that come to mind are the Turok games (except 1 since that was pre-Rumble) and most Midway things.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Early games wouldn't have supported the rumble pack though?

Hell I think my retro confession is I have no idea what the n64 memory card was for and I never used mine once and I got the n64 on launch day.

Goemon's Great Adventure. It's also I think the only game I ever played that needed the memory pak.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Not only have I never beaten Metroid on the NES but I've tried enough times to recognize that it is functionally impossible, and as such I regard anyone claiming they've finished it as a charlatan and a liar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

Not only have I never beaten Metroid on the NES but I've tried enough times to recognize that it is functionally impossible, and as such I regard anyone claiming they've finished it as a charlatan and a liar.

What makes it impossible?