Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm curious, with the introduction in the Season 7 episode trailer showing "Harrison", if they're going for a George W Bush -> Obama -> Trump & Hillary Clinton thing with Clark, Harrison, Judd and Karen respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I watched the most recent episode first and this show feels right up my alley

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
So Harrison is actually a turborich!

Seems like we may see the end of the turd halo. Shame, it's pretty!

They shouldn't have thrown out those hands....

It seems that they've addressed the food question.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pick posted:

I get that, although each episode is only half an hour long, but it feels like they're one-hour episodes
Ha, it's funny you should mention that. I watched the first few episodes but didn't pay any attention to their actual runtime and when I was talking to someone who was thinking about watching it I was going to say something like "Well just give the first episode a go, it's only an hour out of your day" but I googled it to see how long the episodes actual last and was shocked to learn they're all a half hour.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Ok I'm fully on board after the last one, everything landed for me. Maybe it was played broader? Trying not to overthink it.

Goon faceblindness moment: wish the two tom arnold lookin husbands...weren't so much.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I keep forgetting which one is married to which woman.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cojawfee posted:

Well, neither of them are interesting or important, so it doesn't really matter.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I keep expecting them to hook up.

"He's using you as a toilet friend!"

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

So am I the only one who thinks the turd pope kinda looked like Trump?

Or am I beeing whooshed here?

:thejoke:

Edit: For reference

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 2, 2020

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Pick posted:

I think he has a goal that is probably just chaotic neutral. It serves as an inciting incident. However, they mentioned the ship is laaaargely self-sufficient. What if the goal is to use Avenue 5 as a way to colonize Mars? Land it there, people can't get back without NASA properly funding the space program again... maybe a new chance for a new world, where otherwise the Moon has canonically been turned into a prison.

Or the opposite, Avenue 5 was a space prison that got re-purposed after the moon prison made it obsolete. Someone tried to blame the record size yoga class for the accident in passing - it would be funny if so many people in one place triggered the gravity flip as riot suppression.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

Well, neither of them are interesting or important, so it doesn't really matter.

Frank is great. I hate Doug.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mossyfisk posted:

Or the opposite, Avenue 5 was a space prison that got re-purposed after the moon prison made it obsolete.

The set design seems to imply that the ship has as repurposed from something. Besides being obviously more industrial, back of house has a completely different colour scheme. Lots of yellow and green.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's a rat in the clementines :)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

mcbexx posted:

So am I the only one who thinks the turd pope kinda looked like Trump?

Or am I beeing whooshed here?

:thejoke:

Edit: For reference

No, that's JPII

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's kinda any old white guy

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
The sheer amount of "J"s in the props and backgrounds is my favorite subtle joke.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Apparently they're all over the place, even on poo poo you could never read, like the straws.

Also Judd still uses plastic straws, because of course he does.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Open Source Idiom posted:

The set design seems to imply that the ship has as repurposed from something. Besides being obviously more industrial, back of house has a completely different colour scheme. Lots of yellow and green.

That's kinda just how cruise ships and resorts are, though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Loomer posted:

That's kinda just how cruise ships and resorts are, though.

Yeah I agree to some extent, but I do really feel there's something to the fact that the ship is always framed so you don't see back-of-house well. Like whenever it passed in front of the sun, or behind something--it always obscures the back of the ship, which doesn't match the front of the ship visually at all.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
“Toby Maguire died. Huh. Throat slit in a prison shower.”

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also, when Matt is handing out the "messages" to the folks in the golf sim, it flashes so fast, but he has over three thousand messages. Judd has one (a funny cat photo). Clark has zero.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

It was kinda weird that the lawyer just wandered below decks to serve the divorce papers, after they'd made such a big deal about keeping it all hidden.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 3, 2020

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Chubby Henparty posted:

Ok I'm fully on board after the last one, everything landed for me. Maybe it was played broader? Trying not to overthink it.

Goon faceblindness moment: wish the two tom arnold lookin husbands...weren't so much.

This week, Avenue 5 was funnier than Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Spiders play the long game

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Pick posted:

Spiders play the long game

Just remember, if HR asks we didn't see any warning signs.

I am loving Matt's ads for stuff now that he just doesn't care, I wouldn't think that normally they would keep making stuff like that on board a doomed space cruise ship. I hope there's alternate takes of those.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

seaborgium posted:

Just remember, if HR asks we didn't see any warning signs.

I am loving Matt's ads for stuff now that he just doesn't care, I wouldn't think that normally they would keep making stuff like that on board a doomed space cruise ship. I hope there's alternate takes of those.

We're going to watch his suicide

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh hey, Sarah from the Bridge Crew wrote the most recent episode. Which I really liked, but did anyone else get the sense that they had to remove a lot of scenes from the space pope subplot?

I feel like there's a missing scene where Frank admits he's overcompensating for his near death experience, which would explain why he went from being all about the Poop Pope to admitting that he's accidentally pulled a Ryan Clark and that he never saw the Poop Pius in the first place.

Edit: also loving lol with the trailer for next week. Some of the passengers are so dumb they think they're in Inception.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 4, 2020

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

At some point they're going to try and reel Joe's coffin back into the ship so they can use his hands for the docking maneuver somehow, right? At the very least I expect Judd to suggest it.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

professor metis posted:

At some point they're going to try and reel Joe's coffin back into the ship so they can use his hands for the docking maneuver somehow, right? At the very least I expect Judd to suggest it.

I thought was going to be the plan to begin with.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I am glad there's a thread for this show. To be honest, it feels a lot like work. Like my actual job that I go to every day. I feel like Billie most days, though I think Billie is supposed to be the most relatable? But unlike real life the show is fun and I find myself laughing a lot and self-reflecting bad behaviors. I do really like the complexity that went into Billie as a character.

The parallels are nuts, I had a situation that somehow played out almost identical to the Shat all over NASA bit. It even involved an irl idiot without a degree and the actual nasa. Granted from my understanding that type of interaction is unfortunately common.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've seen some speculation that Ryan is going to lose his hands at some point (the joke about him being a double amputee in the pilot) and they'll have to go and get the other guy's hands to replace the captain's stumps.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I like the way the show seeds future conflicts in earlier episodes. Like going from three years to six months to three and a half months to six months. And the 500 extra people. And now the hands. Those are Chekhov's Hands.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

professor metis posted:

I mean, what could his hands do that Ryan's can't?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Be used by someone who isn't Ryan to take control of the ship, or could effectively make Ryan expendable.

Just realised: more foreshadowing, one of the original coffins split open and a severed hand is now revolving it like a mini satellite. Possibly the true captain's, actually.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Be used by someone who isn't Ryan to take control of the ship, or could effectively make Ryan expendable.

Just realised: more foreshadowing, one of the original coffins split open and a severed hand is now revolving it like a mini satellite. Possibly the true captain's, actually.

Nope, it's from one of the clear coffins, which was used for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoKGo5kfBvA

Specifically mentioned to be Johan's.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Holy gently caress the next episode leaked and holy gently caress holy gently caress.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

I mean: if all you need are the hands and not a living body then Ryan is already expendable and if you just need the hands then he could boop it and let Billy do it or whatever.

Holy gently caress the next episode leaked and holy gently caress holy gently caress.

They may just drop it OnDemand, now...

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I think that you probably have to be able to manipulate your hands to control the ship for the docking manoeuvre, so you couldn't just plant the extra hands and have someone else take over.

No, I'm assuming you would have to make some kind of hand-glove for someone (Billie, obviously) to wear while controlling the ship.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Please do not post un-blackboxed spoilers in the thread for unaired episodes! (You haven't yet.) Thanks!

Pick fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
oh my god this show is horrifying

is this.. a comedy... show??

e: jesus christ :stare:

Pick fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 5, 2020