Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

So the next one will be named “America” officially but everyone will call it Avenue 6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

discworld is all I read posted:

I'm kinda wondering at this point if they're going to mention what happened with Avenues 1-4; they mention that faux cap'n took care of some disaster on there but I'm wondering if Fudd's previous Avenue's were as doomed as this one.

AFAIR Ryan saved avenue 3. Well not saved but.... He took out a fire on avenue 3. Well not took out the fire but found the fire extinguisher. And gave it to someone who did the job.
I guess, judging by the ship's rear part that Avenue 1-4 were the previous 'front' fuselage that ran with same engineering rear.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

gently caress Matt. He's reaping what he sowed.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Zaphod42 posted:

Something about the ship's controls only being registered to his biometrics so it only will respond to him.

The real captain set it to him and Clark and then died, so now they can't change it.

Which, that seems really hokey to me. Like even if that were the case, couldn't he then like, "log in" and then grant permission to someone else?? (Billie)

But I guess they wouldn't know how, too incompetent. But you'd think Billie could talk him through giving her permission and then she could fly it, at least better than him.

I thought once he got fired that would have resolved the situation as another captain could be assigned but he got unfired before I'd even finished that thought.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like that Fudd appointed real astronaut to be the new captain without even cluing him in to the fact that it's all fake.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

I like that Fudd appointed real astronaut to be the new captain without even cluing him in to the fact that it's all fake.

He only knew the Captain was fake, not the crew. Judd's on a "never-needs-to-know" basis.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So one thing that kinda bothered me, although super nitpicky.

The astronaut guy goes up and decides he's gonna take the helm which reveals the charade. Kinda saw this coming.

Except, wouldn't a former astronaut know better than to just take the controls all willy-nilly?? I know he's kinda incompetent but THAT incompetent? Like, imagine you're a famous captain and you're on board a big cruise ship, and out of respect the cruise ship's captain is like "you may take the helm" and you're like "oh thanks". It would be obviously a symbolic gesture, right? You wouldn't grab the wheel and jerk the ship left and right and rock it to show off that you're in control. That's incredibly juvenile, on a colossal scale.f

But its 1000x worse in space with a ship flying on a very carefully calculated path that's going to take you 3 years to get home. Jerking the ship around could cause them to go wildly off-course! An astronaut would never make a ship maneuver just for the gently caress of it.

But everybody on board the ship is totally incompetent so I guess you can excuse it by saying he's just THAT egotistical and incompetent.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I imagine you'd have to enable the controls before the helm actually does anything, though. For a very carefully calculated 3 year path, you probably get on course by running software commands to fire the engines and stuff in the right sequence, not by a faulty meatbag taking the stick with both hands.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And why did those people freeze? That's not what happens in space since vacuum is a great insulator, you see. Unless it was a VFX (Visual Effects) shot to fake out the other idiot passengers.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

And why did those people freeze? That's not what happens in space since vacuum is a great insulator, you see. Unless it was a VFX (Visual Effects) shot to fake out the other idiot passengers.

I don't think the show is quite so deeply committed to physics realism that it wouldn't employ the "space insta-freezes you" trope to spare us the mute horror of watching a bunch of people frantically twist and suffocate in the pitiless void.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

It's just too grim to show the reality. That would be sorta a bridge too dark.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mobby_6kl posted:

Pick posted:

It's just too grim to show the reality. That would be sorta a bridge too dark.

Yeah, A) most people think you do freeze in space still, and B) it makes it goofier and more slapstick which is the idea, its not supposed to be horrifying its meant to be funny.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, A) most people think you do freeze in space still, and B) it makes it goofier and more slapstick which is the idea, its not supposed to be horrifying its meant to be funny.

I would argue the blood that spurted from their eyes was a bit more the former than the latter, but I guess it was still both sooooooo...

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Apparently you could survive for like a minute if exposed to space. That would have been pretty hosed up to see, but seems less likely anyone else would try going out after witnessing that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zaphod42 posted:

So one thing that kinda bothered me, although super nitpicky.

The astronaut guy goes up and decides he's gonna take the helm which reveals the charade. Kinda saw this coming.

Except, wouldn't a former astronaut know better than to just take the controls all willy-nilly??

mobby_6kl posted:

And why did those people freeze? That's not what happens in space since vacuum is a great insulator, you see.

It's pretty clear that the show was written by comedy writers who aren't science nerds, almost nothing about the show makes any sense if you stop to think about it

Just try not to think about it :ssh:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's pretty clear that the show was written by comedy writers who aren't science nerds, almost nothing about the show makes any sense if you stop to think about it

Just further proof that it's all a simulation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

nooneofconsequence posted:

Apparently you could survive for like a minute if exposed to space. That would have been pretty hosed up to see, but seems less likely anyone else would try going out after witnessing that.

Yeah, you're going to asphyxiate. And watching people choke to death while still being conscious and alive and looking at you in the eyes is pretty awful.

Not to mention experiencing the water in your eyes and tongue boiling.

But yeah, if you had a fishbowl helmet you could survive in space pretty okay even if you were mostly naked. There are spacesuit designs which are basically just scuba wet-suits with some compression for pressure to help blood flow and stuff, and otherwise its just the helmet that needs to be fancy.

The designs of the suits we have are kinda old-fashioned but we don't put any money into space travel so :smith:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Zaphod42 posted:

The designs of the suits we have are kinda old-fashioned but we don't put any money into space travel so :smith:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b2/36/af/b236af696666e3c1dbb028d0334c7a4e.jpg
Better?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah considerably! See that's what I'm talking about, the helmet is the real focus and the rest can be pretty simple.

That looks like it has vastly more range of motion than the big chunky NASA suits.

That's still a full suit that has pressurized air though; from what I've seen/read you can make it even thinner if you only have oxygen in the helmet and not in the suit. And then as a bonus if you get a cut, it doesn't matter unless its on the helmet. Suit designs like this means any tear anywhere on the suit compromises your oxygen system entirely.

Here:

That's how you do it.

E: Also apparently the pressurized suits are bad for astronauts and cause shoulder problems and require acclimating before and after spacewalks. These style suits could reduce that.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 12, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah of course. I was (unsuccessfully) making fun of all the discussions about why something is this or that way on the ship. None of it makes any sense other than to set up the plot/jokes.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

drat, this show was a documentary.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Can we get the Other President already

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

We have one already, but we try not to bother him too much.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
New episode pretty good.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:suspense:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
:( poor everybody

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

You poo poo from the back! Even babies know that!!

God drat was that an amazing episode. Season 2 cannot come fast enough.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I've suddenly got a lot of 'free time' and started watching the show. All caught up now.

They've really earned the slow descent into madness.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

That was an amazing ending. And holy poo poo the end credits music is just straight out of a horror film.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
“I know some street moves! Don’t make me you my street moves on you, man!”

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

seaborgium posted:

That was an amazing ending. And holy poo poo the end credits music is just straight out of a horror film.
The music throughout is really good, I wish it was on Spotify or something. It's been a big part of the show's queasy, anxious tone since the first episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwV3-snrb0g

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I feel like that finale could have afforded to be a bit bigger if I'm honest, but it was still very very funny.

Hope that Mads/Colin from the bridge crew sticks around. Also holy gently caress the crew trying to hide the fact that they're not coming back for eight years while reigning in the completely uncontrollable Judd (who, in all fairness, seems to be really trying in this episode) is going to be a nightmare.

Karen's probably in the most interesting place right now, given that she's in the absolute worst possible position. She's already started trying to find scapegoats too.

There's no way that fusion chamber isn't going to be important next season.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Oh, shittle.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Also, everyone just saw people dying and the only one not having a sociopathic response is the french crew lady.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Oh drat I didn't know that was the last episode of the season. I wanted more :(.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

"Everybody knows you poo poo from the back!!" and Karen melting down as she realizes her mistake was pretty wild stuff

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The irony of course being that if they had not gotten the code from Matt they would be better off

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
It's too bad the shuttle didn't take off when no one at all was on board. Or possibly just the bag of body parts.

This show did get better as the season went along. Weirdly enough, my problem wasn't that it was different from Veep, but that it was so similar to Veep in ways that felt out of place in this setting with these characters.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I just couldn't get over the bag of parts. First that it was in a clear bag that was hard to find, then everyone kind of stopped caring a bag with hands and a head(?) was there, then they were going to send the bag back to Earth for some reason? The sequence of Ryan being on board the ship with the bag and taking forever to realize no one can pilot the ship if that happens was bizzare yet somehow believable.

I guess that's how I would describe this show. Unbelievably bizzare yet somehow 100% beliavable.

I spent almost the entire shuttle sequence with my mouth hanging open in disbelief yelling at the TV "what the gently caress is even happening?!" I did the same thing with the airlock scene. Just loving brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't get why they went through the trouble of cutting off Joe's hands and head just to put it on the shuttle. The point was to have his hands so they could use them to activate the ship controls. Why did the captain say "Whoever is going on the shuttle is taking this bag with them"?