Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Edit: Oh gently caress, so apparently part of the reason why the season finale felt so small is because the main set burnt the gently caress down during filming.

It's further down this thread here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Avenue5/comments/fjkogt/i_was_an_background_actor_in_the_season_finale_of/fko0lfb/

Cojawfee posted:

I don't get why they went through the trouble of cutting off Joe's hands and head just to put it on the shuttle. The point was to have his hands so they could use them to activate the ship controls. Why did the captain say "Whoever is going on the shuttle is taking this bag with them"?

The hands were unviable, thanks to their exposure to space, so there was no point keeping them on board. Instead of tossing them out the airlock along with all the other garbage/Sarah's, Ryan wanted them sent back to Earth out of respect for his dead friend. So he had them put on board the shuttle.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It's too bad the shuttle didn't take off when no one at all was on board. Or possibly just the bag of body parts.

This show did get better as the season went along. Weirdly enough, my problem wasn't that it was different from Veep, but that it was so similar to Veep in ways that felt out of place in this setting with these characters.

No I think this was the worst possible outcome. Iris was one of the most competent crewmembers and was good at handling Judd. With her gone, the training wheels are off. Its only gonna get worse even faster.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We won't get anymore "IRIS!" shouts. Seems weird to only do 9 episodes. I think my favorite moment was when Matt would predict when the ship beeped. That actor always ends up playing some of my favorite characters. Though he does seem to get typecast as a outwardly positive guy with a severely dark past/personality.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It's too bad the shuttle didn't take off when no one at all was on board. Or possibly just the bag of body parts.

When it was the comedy guy I was expecting the shuttle to take off and then get blown up by the cloud of debris poo poo out by the ship.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

When it was the comedy guy I was expecting the shuttle to take off and then get blown up by the cloud of debris poo poo out by the ship.

Same.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Cojawfee posted:

We won't get anymore "IRIS!" shouts. Seems weird to only do 9 episodes. I think my favorite moment was when Matt would predict when the ship beeped. That actor always ends up playing some of my favorite characters. Though he does seem to get typecast as a outwardly positive guy with a severely dark past/personality.

Judging by Judds character he will keep shouting "IRIS!" every second when he is slightly annoyed, touched or otherwise unpleasantly interacted with.
I once legit wondered if she had to wipe his rear end.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did laugh at the pilot's explanation for why he needed to be there was that he had to push two buttons.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

I did laugh at the pilot's explanation for why he needed to be there was that he had to push two buttons.

Are you going to press the second button?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yeah I was fully expecting the simultaneous countdowns to result in some issue, where jettisoning the cargo would damage the shuttle or something.

It reminds me of The Jetsons, which was a similar futuristic lifestyle as Avenue 5.

George Jetson would "work" all day just pressing a button over and over. But all the while he'd complain about his "slave-driver boss" working him so hard!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cojawfee posted:

We won't get anymore "IRIS!" shouts.

I really hope she takes over from Rav at Mission Control. Iris trying to handle the protestors should be fun :allears:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

No I think this was the worst possible outcome. Iris was one of the most competent crewmembers

Was she though? When a new crisis appeared it wasn't her who knew how to solve them. She wasn't that good at handling Judd either, at least not In terms of stopping him from doing stupid poo poo.

"Comedy" guy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I like the comedian, he's the endpoint of postmodern meta-ironic anti-comedy.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Rewatching some earlier episodes and extras. Judd says something in Episode 1 about how Capt. Ryan could handle being a double amputee. Disturbing foreshadowing????

And for the extras, hearing Karen speak with an english accent is weird.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm used to Hugh Laurie from his British stuff, not House, so all the bits where people react to his accent changing are incredibly disorientating, and I have to rewind to try and figure out what accent he was speaking in.

Overlapped countdowns is easily my favourite gag from the series. Dumb and silly, but like the sound of a panic attack.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm used to Hugh Laurie from his British stuff, not House, so all the bits where people react to his accent changing are incredibly disorientating, and I have to rewind to try and figure out what accent he was speaking in.

Overlapped countdowns is easily my favourite gag from the series. Dumb and silly, but like the sound of a panic attack.

I'm used to him from both his British stuff AND House, so its even more unrecognizable for me that he's switching. Its just like yeah that's Hugh Laurie he does both what's the isssue?! :haw:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I've watched so much British TV over the years that I honestly don't even hear it anymore unless I specifically want to place it. So whenever they say he's changing accents, I have to take their word for it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

emgeejay posted:

The music throughout is really good, I wish it was on Spotify or something. It's been a big part of the show's queasy, anxious tone since the first episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwV3-snrb0g

Good news then!

I usually don't pay too much attention to background music in these shows but the end credits one definitely stood out.

Great episode in general too. The show definitely improved over time and hopefully season 2 will be even better.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I noticed in the first episode before the reveal that Hugh Laurie's English accent was leaking in to the American, and I thought that was really weird because he is so good at that accent normally. So when he revealed himself I was like OH that makes sense now!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm used to him from both his British stuff AND House, so its even more unrecognizable for me that he's switching. Its just like yeah that's Hugh Laurie he does both what's the isssue?! :haw:
Yeah, I don't think I noticed his accent change even once. Like, I accept that it did because characters reacted to it, but both versions just sound like Hugh Laurie to me so they blend together completely imperceptibly.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Words cannot express how funny I found the golf scene and how much I'll miss harrison

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

What a weird decision to make a season with nine episodes.
Not eight, not ten, no, just nine seems about the right length.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Milo and POTUS posted:

Words cannot express how funny I found the golf scene and how much I'll miss harrison
The reveal of the crew in full green spandax got the biggest laugh of the season for me.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

That was a season finale last week?? The show was just starting to get good!

I'm still not sure how to feel about this show, there's a lot of good stuff and most of the characters are great, but the pacing is just killing me. I seriously can't believe that was the last episode, it felt like just business as usual. The disaster is still ramping up, even! I figured they'd at least get to some sort of status quo before they ended the season.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Literally the main set burned down and they had to come up with something to tide them over while it's rebuilt

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pick posted:

Literally the main set burned down and they had to come up with something to tide them over while it's rebuilt

Frank! :argh:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pick posted:

Oh poo poo, I love a production as cursed as its fictional world.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's really tragic, because it's apparently one huge set. All the back of house stuff blue/green carpet areas are directly connected to the white Star Trek veneer Passenger facing parts.

The guy who designed it said he wanted to make it big enough that they were still finding new places to shoot scenes three seasons deep.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm sure it was insured but yeah it sucks.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's really tragic, because it's apparently one huge set. All the back of house stuff blue/green carpet areas are directly connected to the white Star Trek veneer Passenger facing parts.

The guy who designed it said he wanted to make it big enough that they were still finding new places to shoot scenes three seasons deep.

That's super cool

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well, the walkout scene was loving prophetic

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Pick posted:

Well, the walkout scene entire show was loving prophetic

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
People should be banned from writing such dark satire as reality keeps taking it as a challenge.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Re: the origin of the ship:

Open Source Idiom posted:

It was one of the more spectacular sets I've seen for a production this scale, it's a drat pity.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh man I noticed Hugh's accent slipping and thought that was weird because he's acted with that accent for so long and gotten so good and I was very gratified to see that pay off.

The "I'm a nihilist!" exchange had me in stitches.

The tone of the show is really worrying tho. Passive people being herded around by clueless corporations that can't handle a real threat and only know how to squeeze and belittle the peons who are actually trying to hold everything together is too spot-on.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Do you think they just let Zach Woods do whatever he want or was that scripted?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Do you think they just let Zach Woods do whatever he want or was that scripted?

There's a lot of improv -- Woods is definitely making up all the fake drug names off the top of his head in episode eight, because you can see Josh Gadd start breaking when he says "Daddy Dust". But a lot of it is scripted.

Jessica St Claire straight up biting Hugh Laurie in the finale was something she just threw in there, apparently. And I gather that the actors playing Karen and Frank do a lot of improv as well, since it makes me come across as more hen pecked.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh man I noticed Hugh's accent slipping and thought that was weird because he's acted with that accent for so long and gotten so good and I was very gratified to see that pay off.

The "I'm a nihilist!" exchange had me in stitches.

The tone of the show is really worrying tho. Passive people being herded around by clueless corporations that can't handle a real threat and only know how to squeeze and belittle the peons who are actually trying to hold everything together is too spot-on.

So much of this show felt very much of the moment it was on the air, which is extra surreal because of the lag in script to production to airing.

Honestly, the only reason I could handle it was the sci fi setting making everything just absurd enough to be palatable, to me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh my God the space-isn't-real protest is too soon. Jesus.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh my God the space-isn't-real protest is too soon. Jesus.

that episode came out before that happened. so. um. yeah. yeah we've all been... thinkin about it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't stop it from violently throwing itself out an airlock."