Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

Hi thread! Partner and I have started talking about timing and what not as far as having a baby. I'm early 30s and have never had a regular cycle, plus we both have close family with fertility issues, so I'm a bit nervous about how this is going to go. We aren't quite ready yet, but starting to look at starting prenatal vitamins, carrier screening, getting in better shape, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

Definitely planning on getting a well woman check up and what not soon (new job so switching insurances, finally finding an obgyn). We do have a solid explanation on his side for the fertility issues, which are not hereditary, so that's reassuring.

Hoping everyone in this thread can move into the pregnancy thread soon!

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

Thanks, Tamarillo, I didn't even know that was an option!

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

Had an appointment with my new PCP, just to establish care. We were talking about medication options and I told her that we were going to start trying soon. That was the first time either of us has told someone who knows us (outside of internet anonymity) about our plans.

Anyone else feel weird about telling family/friend about pregnancy plans? My family is very open about a lot of things, so part of me feels like it would be normal to mention we were trying (once we start trying), part of me really doesn't want to deal with people.

Here's how I see this going down if we tell them:
My mom is very eager for us to have kids and would tell all of her friends, even if she were sworn to secrecy. My older sister would make akward sex jokes whenever possible. My younger sister would start throwing any conception/pregnancy/parenting advice at us, whether wanted or not. My partner's parents would intellectualize and would probably bring up timing/frequency of trying a bunch.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

I feel like, at least in my social circles, it's split pretty equally between people who share that they're pregnant as soon as they know and people who wait until they're in the second trimester to share the news. My sister started telling us as soon as they started trying for a baby, and then told us when her husband's sibling started trying. So the family is definitely not going to here anything other than "at some point" from us. If the time comes, I'll be tempted to wait until the end of the first trimester to say anything.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

Had my appointment with my new gyn today. I really really like her! We talked about CF and SMA screening, but I'm opting for a wider carrier screening genetic panel. So we'll see what, if anything, pops up I guess.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

I'm very curious about why they need to know number of sexual partners, and why just his? But I also don't know much about reproductive endocrinology, so...

Got my carrier results back, turns out I'm a carrier for Wilson's disease. Most people are carriers for something and there's a low chance of my partner also being a carrier, but he's going to get tested too just in case. Figure we're planning ahead, might as well gather all the information.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

I'm glad he's not a carrier! That's gotta be a relief. I wish more doctors would bring up carrier testing with their patients, particularly BEFORE pregnancy. Most people I know who have had it were only offered it after they were pregnant.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

They gave you that result in a text?? I'm sorry you two are dealing with that and with getting that information that way.

For the conditions on carrier screening, I think most people don't actually have a family history until there is a baby with the condition. If you have questions your doctor can't answer or if you want to talk about more in depth testing than just the main 3, you can ask to see a genetic counselor. I think it's helpful.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

I just ordered Solaray prenatal vitamins. It seems pretty similar to others but is vegan. Although apparently they also have a funky smell/taste, so we'll see.

Edit: got the new vitamins. They definitely smell wonky in the bottle. But I took them with some lemonade and dinner and didn't notice the taste or anything.

veggiebacon fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 18, 2020

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

I'm sorry to hear that, Emily. Hopefully REI will help!

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

Getting my birth control removed next week! I've been on birth control since I was 18, so I have zero clue what my cycle will be like. Going to try to be patient and not fixate, but we'll see how that goes.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

Fingers crossed for you!

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

I got my first dose (Moderna) and am just waiting on the scheduling email for the second. I'm not really concerned about it before or during pregnancy, but there really isn't a lot of data yet. I lurk in the pregnancy thread trying to see what I am trying to get myself into...copying and pasting what I put there:

Not pregnant but hoping to be and following the vaccine fairly regularly. The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG) wants pregnant folks to be able to decide for themselves, which is a big deal. The way I'm reading the Hill article is that essentially we don't have data on the vaccines in pregnancy, so they can't say it's safe. That's the case with a lot of vaccines and medications in pregnancy. If the medical community can't say it's safe, they won't recommend it.

The vaccines are mRNA based. mRNA (messenger RNA) is the message that DNA makes that is translated into proteins, which build everything. In vaccines that use the actual virus, the virus is weakened or dead, but allows the immune system to recognize the virus and fight off future infections. With the mRNA vaccine, you get enough information for the immune system to recognize the spikes while not actually getting the real virus. With viral infections and pregnancy in general, the risk is that the virus can cross the placenta if there is an active infection. Plus mRNA is relatively fragile and degrades quickly, so it likely won't stick around long enough to cross the placenta. On the other hand, if you have antibodies from the vaccine, those might cross the placenta and give the baby some protection.

Unfortunately with COVID, we just don't know.

These links can be helpful:
https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/forefront/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/mrna-covid-19-vaccine-pregnancy-breastfeeding

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog...ic%20structure.

If you're more the video type:
https://youtu.be/G8R4B7E7lLQ

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

Dazerbeam, do you have any info on the specific side effects in pregnancy? No one I know personally who has gotten the vaccine has had major side effects (sore arms, one person with headache, a mild fever after the second dose), so I'm really curious. Of course now that I said that I'm probably going to be miserable after my second dose.

The clinic I work in is encouraging us to not schedule our second dose on the same day as each other because side effects are apparently more common after the second one and we don't want everyone out sick on the same day.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

I've been off my birth control for 2 months. Had a couple of days of light bleeding a few days after, but no real period yet. I'm not worried. I know it can take a few months to get your cycle back and 2 months is not a lot of time at all. It's just annoying me and I'm trying hard not to overthink any minor thing that could be (but probably isn't) a sign of pregnancy.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

Good luck with the transfer! I hope your cycle settles down and cooperates. My understanding is that frozen embryos are supposed to work better than fresh ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

Apparently all I had to do to jump start my period was whine about not getting it on the internet. This is the (second) most I've ever been to get it because it feels like things are maybe getting back in working order!