Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
TO BE FAIR, This will also be true no matter who is elected. Checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

you have to target the glowing orbs on the mob leaders back. If you crit the orbs 3 times in self defence the rest of the mob will run away

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

If he comes out and admits he's been sniffing glue for the last two decades it would explain a whole lot.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Yourself! In the Soviet-Afghan war Russian troops were warned to keep their last bullets for themselves if it looked like the mujahideen would capture them alive. Twitter makes those people look like kittens.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

evilmiera posted:

If he comes out and admits he's been sniffing glue for the last two decades it would explain a whole lot.

Yeah, this guy is becoming more and more of a walking tragedy as time marches on. He sure as hell isn't who we thought he was in the 90s.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

evilmiera posted:

Seriously. I think he always had a few screws loose but his 90's comics were often decent. I'm amazed hes gone from that to parroting the dumbest dog whistle talking points.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Agent Escalus posted:

Yeah, this guy is becoming more and more of a walking tragedy as time marches on. He sure as hell isn't who we thought he was in the 90s.

the lowtax thread is thattaway

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

you have to target the glowing orbs on the mob leaders back. If you crit the orbs 3 times in self defence the rest of the mob will run away

nah man the parasite controlling the mob will pop out after you inflict lethal wounds on 3-5 of them, then you just light up the puppetmaster

nothing a standard issue semiautomatic pistol can't solve

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Junk posted:

the lowtax thread is thattaway

:golfclap:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

His whole "WhAt ArE ThE RuLeS oF SeLf DeFeNse?" Post is clearly about those two people in St Louis who were badly handling guns, right?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

i unironically love powerup comics and did not know they were still making stuff. thank you for this

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Jar jar binks layin down the law right here

Though isn't lena dunham only half white?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I was too young to get most of the jokes but I dimly remember being disappointed by dilbert when it aired on upn

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
IIRC it was a pretty straightforward case of "hmm a three panel comic strip made into a cartoon. This probably isn't going to work" followed by "yeah, this doesn't work"

It was just too white, Scott.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

This is quietly the funniest post in the thread

yeah honestly calling stav a "pseudointellectual" is very funny

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I still think about that post when I'm walking down the street listening to that chubby greek giggle

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Dave Foley, Phil Hartman and Stephen Root balanced it out though.

But then everything changed when Andy Dick attacked.

And Vicki Lewis, and Maura Tierney, and Khandi Alexander.

Literally everyone was great on NewsRadio. It was a perfect ensemble cast and while it fell apart when Phil Hartman died, I'm pretty sure it would have fallen apart if any of them had (perhaps not to THAT extent, but still), especially if the show tried to replace them.

Anyway, NewsRadio is the only thing I've ever seen Andy Dick in.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

YeahTubaMike posted:

And Vicki Lewis, and Maura Tierney, and Khandi Alexander.

Literally everyone was great on NewsRadio. It was a perfect ensemble cast and while it fell apart when Phil Hartman died, I'm pretty sure it would have fallen apart if any of them had (perhaps not to THAT extent, but still), especially if the show tried to replace them.

Anyway, NewsRadio is the only thing I've ever seen Andy Dick in.

He's pretty good as a coked out santa in the hebrew hammer. Although, now I hope that was just prop cocaine.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
so he's spent the last few months claiming that Joe Biden is literally Satan using some weird numerology bullshit, gotta hand it to him for always finding something more insane to latch onto

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

I'm bumping this thread after all this time for a good reason: he's getting pulled from newspapers. You won't even need to guess why. (Re-read the title and the thread.) Scott's Strange Fruit has ripened in all its hideousness.

quote:

‘Dilbert’ Has Been Pulled From Newspapers In Multiple States After Author Scott Adams Went On A ‘Racist Rant’

Scott Adams, aka the guy who writes the Dilbert cartoons, has often expressed his kooky ideas. He even leaned Trumpward when the now-former president first eyed the White House. He turned on him late last year, but that didn’t mean an end to his bananas ideas. Indeed, on a recent episode of his daily YouTube show — which inexplicably average an hour in length — he went on a bizarre rant about Black people widely condemned as racist. Now his precious cartoon has been pulled from multiple newspapers.

As per Variety, Cleveland’s The Plain Dealer announced they were dropping the long-running office culture cartoon, which has been in print since 1989. They were not happy that Adams had called Black people a “hate group” and pleaded with white people to “get the f*ck away” from them.

“This is not a difficult decision,” wrote VP of content Chris Quinn. “We are not a home for those who espouse racism. We certainly do not want to provide them with financial support.” He continued, “Until we decide what to replace Dilbert with, you’ll likely see a gray box where it has been appearing.”

Quinn added that other newspapers owned by the same parent company, Advance Local, were dropping Adams’ strip as well, including papers in Michigan, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Alabama, Massachusetts, and Oregon.

Adams’ rant came on Wednesday, when he cited a survey in which nearly half of Black Americans polled disagreed with the statement “It’s okay to be white.” Mind you, the phrase was once part of a trolling campaign that the Anti-Defamation League deemed a “hate symbol.” That didn’t stop Adams from a strange rant.

“Based on the current way things are going, the best advice I would give to white people is to get the hell away from Black people. Just get the f*ck away,” Adams declared. “Wherever you have to go, just get away. Because there’s no fixing this. This can’t be fixed. So I don’t think it makes any sense as a white citizen of America to try to help Black citizens anymore. It doesn’t make sense. There’s no longer a rational impulse. So I’m going to back off on being helpful to Black America because it doesn’t seem like it pays off.”

The very online Adams has since responded to the criticism on his Twitter account, writing cryptic things like “I rest my case” and joking, “I just learned Cleveland has a newspaper.”

If you don't want to click through:

https://twitter.com/MarshaWarfield/status/1628902762909143042?s=20

There's a howler in the Variety link, too.

quote:

Adams previously has claimed that some of his projects have been canceled because he is white, and he has made numerous racially-charged “jokes.” Adams in 2022 introduced the first-ever Black character to “Dilbert,” dubbed Dave the Black Engineer, whom he used to mock the idea of workplace diversity and transgender identity (“I identify as white,” Dave the Black Engineer says in one strip).

Apologies for the thread necromancy, but I figured we didn't need a fresh/duplicate GBS thread about the Downfall of Dilbert via Scott's Busted Brain. Besides, his plunge off the deep end may actually just be getting started, so we might as well add to what's already here, right?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A grey box will be a welcome change from Dilbert.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In a way, putting a black person in Dilbert did, in fact turn out extremely racist.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A grey box will be a welcome change from Dilbert.

It'll certainly be funnier!

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Dilbert worked for the 1990s I even agreed with scott that office management culture sucked because it used to be you would motivate your employees by giving them job security and money.

But the man is a loving weirdo....

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
One time Scott Adams posted a gross picture of his torso and I told him his bellybutton looked like a lil smokie wrapped in a Pilsbury crescent roll, and he got so butthurt about it that he followed me around twitter for a few days to harass me, well anyway that’s my Scott Adams story.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Ups_rail posted:

Dilbert worked for the 1990s I even agreed with scott that office management culture sucked because it used to be you would motivate your employees by giving them job security and money.

But the man is a loving weirdo....

9/11 broke a lot of peoples brains. I read an article by Adams on the official Dilbert website. He said he wanted to fulfill his patriotic duty by giving suggestions to the military. "How do we get these hairy, uncivilised savages out of the caves? Bananas."

He always did seem to have a poor opinion of anything that wasn't American though. See his go-to fantasy foreign country, Elbonia - where even newborns and women have ZZ Top beards, the chief export is mud and the international airport is a giant slingshot.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Yeah hes known for getting riled up and harassing people with alt accounts and then getting called out for it.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Lmao he also posts without his shirt on ALOT.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Valko posted:

9/11 broke a lot of peoples brains. I read an article by Adams on the official Dilbert website. He said he wanted to fulfill his patriotic duty by giving suggestions to the military. "How do we get these hairy, uncivilised savages out of the caves? Bananas."

He always did seem to have a poor opinion of anything that wasn't American though. See his go-to fantasy foreign country, Elbonia - where even newborns and women have ZZ Top beards, the chief export is mud and the international airport is a giant slingshot.

To be fair talespin also had backwards country that was basically pigs and they were coded as being the soviet union.

I often think of the 1990s and how the fall of the USSR messed with people, such a magic 10 years and yeah 9/11 broke it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

#wow #woah

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Poohs Packin posted:

Lmao he also posts without his shirt on ALOT.

i do the same :smug:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/ILikeStapler/status/12130156957138944?s=20

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

quote:

“Based on the current way things are going, the best advice I would give to white people is to get the hell away from Black people. Just get the f*ck away,” Adams declared. “Wherever you have to go, just get away. Because there’s no fixing this. This can’t be fixed. So I don’t think it makes any sense as a white citizen of America to try to help Black citizens anymore. It doesn’t make sense. There’s no longer a rational impulse. So I’m going to back off on being helpful to Black America because it doesn’t seem like it pays off.”

what were all the kind and noble things that Scott Adams was doing, up until now, to be helpful to Black America? is there a list

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Hammerite posted:

what were all the kind and noble things that Scott Adams was doing, up until now, to be helpful to Black America? is there a list

having the noble presence of mind to teach them the wonders of hypnotism through his books, duh

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hammerite posted:

Yes, actually, and for your convenience, I've pasted the list in its entirety below:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/26/us/dilbert-newspapers-racism.html

Here's a good summary of the reaction to Scott's douchey video.

Some choice excerpts:

The NYTimes posted:

Danielle Rhoades Ha, a spokeswoman for The New York Times, said, “We have decided to no longer publish the ‘Dilbert’ comic strip in our international print edition following racist comments by Scott Adams.” The comic appeared only in the international print edition and not in The Times’s U.S. edition or online, she said.

Mr. Adams declined to be interviewed and said in a text on Saturday that “everything you need to hear” was on YouTube.

In that show on Saturday, he defended his remarks. He said that he was wrongly being canceled, that “you should absolutely be racist whenever it’s to your advantage” and that any change in society is a “racist change,” including changing the tax codes.

He also appeared to be reckoning with the rapid fallout, saying that “most of my income will be gone by next week” and that “my reputation for the rest of my life is destroyed.”

Wonder if he will recant all his stuff to try to save his brand? Somehow I get the feeling he will default to the typical chud defense of 'it was all a joke don't you get it?'

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Wonder if he will recant all his stuff to try to save his brand? Somehow I get the feeling he will default to the typical chud defense of 'it was all a joke don't you get it?'

nah he's already backed into a corner of IF YOU LISTENED TO WHAT I WAS SAYING

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Scott Adams announces a new comic strip called 'Blackbert' in an effort to recoup the lost income from his previous property

Beloved characters such as the Pointy Haired Boss will be reimagined as more 'woke' versions of themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

If he needs $$ after the insane amount of merch he moved he may be overestimating his own smarts.