Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i tried to find the blog posts scott adams did where he tried to textually hypnotize the reader into sexual ecstasy, and it is the first search i’ve done in years that i felt i needed to do incognito.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

“Scott Adams” posted:

The reality is that women are treated differently by society for exactly the same reason that children and the mentally handicapped are treated differently. It's just easier this way for everyone. You don't argue with a four-year old about why he shouldn't eat candy for dinner. You don't punch a mentally handicapped guy even if he punches you first. And you don't argue when a women tells you she's only making 80 cents to your dollar. It's the path of least resistance.

Later he cried about how MRAs twisted his words and “to the women who were offended by their own or someone else’s interpretation of what I wrote, I apologize.”

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Dilburrito

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

The burrito is also Indian

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 1, 2020

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Since food service industry and unfunny comic strips go hand in hand maybe the goon wants to open a cafe in the lovely part of Houston should name their fine establishment DilbertSucks

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Cubone posted:

this reads like a story written by a patient suffering from brain damage that's used in a psychology class to demonstrate what it looks like when somebody loses the ability to distinguish other people's understanding from their own

Yup, that's Scott Adams.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Daikloktos posted:

It's even more hosed up because a major thesis of his early nonfiction was how modern society is so complicated even the smartest of us spends most of their time being abject dumbasses. But when you have a blog and a captured audience hanging on your every word for twenty years you're bound to go a little insane with power

I would imagine that having a contractual obligation to produce a daily syndicated comic strip does not help at all in terms of being 20 years removed from your subject matter and still resisting the desire to wander off into commentary on things you got in your newsfeed that day

Presuming, that is, that you can't just have "Dogbert eats a lasagna and then Dilbert is mad about it" and draw it slightly differently every strip

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I hate that Dilbert doesn't have the boner tie anymore.

Daikloktos posted:

Bill Watterson is apparently Ned Flanders IRL.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Presuming, that is, that you can't just have "Dogbert eats a lasagna and then Dilbert is mad about it" and draw it slightly differently every strip
He certainly falls back on the easy character gags to pad out his productivity but, as you say, what made Dilbert such a cultural phenomenon in the 90's was the specificity of its subject. Office workers would read a strip about being assigned rotating cubicles or getting reorganized into a workgroup apart from your project team to build some manager's fiefdom or the excitement of finally getting an internet connection to goof off on and it connected with them. But obviously the further Adams got from his time as an engineer and the more the corporate landscape changed the harder it was to maintain incisive commentary. You can tell in his early 2000s strips when he tries to tackle new management fads like ISO 9000 or Seven Sigma he only has a second-hand, surface level understanding that he tries to paper over by analogizing them to his increasingly irrelevant experiences - I haven't kept up with the strip but I can only imagine his poor grasp on the nuances of open-plan floorspace or agile development. So he could either give up on being a relevant satirist with #1 bestselling pop philosophy books under his belt or he could transition to the field where he was still vital - being an early-internet blogger. And as a result, instead of only being thought about these days by used bookstore patrons and people flipping through Comedy Central at 1 am he gets invited on Fox News to discuss the nuclear crisis in North Korea.

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 1, 2020

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I liked the Dilbert cartoon

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Daikloktos posted:

Scott Adams doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as this absolute legend

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bust Rodd posted:

Scott Adams doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as this absolute legend

Tell me about it, I won't have anyone sully the name of the Dilberito in this thread.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I think being featured in the Dilbert(tm) comic would be an insult enough to anyone who ends up in this loathsome position.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Didn't they have a night watchman who was black, he was party of a short arc where he was stealing.... oh.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Cubone posted:

been squinting at this one like a riddle

I see the
but, the joke, dear god

stripped down and workshopped, I think it would look something like this:
OR
it's unclear, because the joke is so poorly told
why are they even talking about nuclear weapons? it just creates this extra leap the audience has to make either that, because india criminalized homosexuality, that means they want to nuke gay people, or that because they're unscientific they would use nuclear weapons to destroy their own landmarks
without that leap, dilbert's remark makes no sense as a reply to what asok was saying, and even so, what he says is the first half of a punchline that he just leaves hanging for asok to finish, which asok would have no way of intuiting. this reads like a story written by a patient suffering from brain damage that's used in a psychology class to demonstrate what it looks like when somebody loses the ability to distinguish other people's understanding from their own
asok understands it because adams understands it, so you end up with this broken statler and waldorf exchange being performed for an audience of nobody, squeezed into the last panel because the first two are taken up by a bizarre racist sockpuppet rant, and crippled by the pointless addition of nukes

it is such a bad joke.

the only way to read this strip for it to make any sense is that adams forgot that he was writing two characters
he got so wrapped up in trying to get digs in at astrologists and addressing india's status as a nuclear power that he lost his theory of mind
he got so distracted by his own STEMlord jerk-off pontification that he forgot how to conceptualize human beings having different thoughts and feelings
(which, in a way, summarizes his entire career)

Gayyyy

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
omg reported

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just like Frank Miller, Scott Adams’ stuff was good when I was a kid but then matured past him and realized how stupid his work was

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Daikloktos posted:

He certainly falls back on the easy character gags to pad out his productivity but, as you say, what made Dilbert such a cultural phenomenon in the 90's was the specificity of its subject. Office workers would read a strip about being assigned rotating cubicles or getting reorganized into a workgroup apart from your project team to build some manager's fiefdom or the excitement of finally getting an internet connection to goof off on and it connected with them. But obviously the further Adams got from his time as an engineer and the more the corporate landscape changed the harder it was to maintain incisive commentary. You can tell in his early 2000s strips when he tries to tackle new management fads like ISO 9000 or Seven Sigma he only has a second-hand, surface level understanding that he tries to paper over by analogizing them to his increasingly irrelevant experiences - I haven't kept up with the strip but I can only imagine his poor grasp on the nuances of open-plan floorspace or agile development. So he could either give up on being a relevant satirist with #1 bestselling pop philosophy books under his belt or he could transition to the field where he was still vital - being an early-internet blogger. And as a result, instead of only being thought about these days by used bookstore patrons and people flipping through Comedy Central at 1 am he gets invited on Fox News to discuss the nuclear crisis in North Korea.

Cool they invited the talking office building to stand behind him

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The Dilberito was actually an early attempt at Soylent or Huel - the idea was it was nutritionally complete so 90s socially maladjusted engineers wouldn't have to deal with actually thinkin about food

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MikeCrotch posted:

The Dilberito was actually an early attempt at Soylent or Huel - the idea was it was nutritionally complete so 90s socially maladjusted engineers wouldn't have to deal with actually thinkin about food
As a result it tasted like chalk and made you rip killer farts.

Scott Adams is one dork on a soapbox, that isn't too scary until you realize he's one clone of a middle class cadre of STEM lords who number in the hundreds of thousands and have incredible purchasing and institutional power.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
why would black people want to be in a Dilbert strip

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Daikloktos posted:

I can't get over how much Bill Watterson looks like Ned Flanders.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I honestly imagined Ned Flanders being more buff, fresh faced and healthy looking.

Anyhow I remember enjoying both of Scotts books when I was about 17. That is roughly twenty years ago. I was doing work experience at the time and my work placement was a high-school. I could really relate to the letters section of his book where people sent him stories of clueless luddites trying to understand computers. Most of the stories sounded like urban legends - who hasn't heard of that guy who complained about his CD-ROM disc tray not being strong enough to hold a cup of coffee or that it closes automatically spilling poo poo everywhere?

I have actually met people like that. I honestly, no joke, met a man who took a hammer and nail to the corners of his floppy disks to magically transform them into high density.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Yaldabaoth posted:

Ned Flanders is ripped.

Bill Watterson looks like the science teacher from Stranger Things.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Calvin's dad is literally Bill Watterson without a moustache.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Yaldabaoth posted:

Everything checks out.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Valko posted:

I honestly imagined Ned Flanders being more buff, fresh faced and healthy looking.

Anyhow I remember enjoying both of Scotts books when I was about 17. That is roughly twenty years ago. I was doing work experience at the time and my work placement was a high-school. I could really relate to the letters section of his book where people sent him stories of clueless luddites trying to understand computers. Most of the stories sounded like urban legends - who hasn't heard of that guy who complained about his CD-ROM disc tray not being strong enough to hold a cup of coffee or that it closes automatically spilling poo poo everywhere?

I have actually met people like that. I honestly, no joke, met a man who took a hammer and nail to the corners of his floppy disks to magically transform them into high density.
That worked for a lot of 5 1/4 discs which were double sided manufacturing defects sold as singled sided but had mostly good magnetic material on the reverse side. Punch the holes that tell the drive the second side works and you've magically gotten 2 for 1 storage.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

I unironically found this funny. Am I racist?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

FormaldehydeSon posted:

I'm sorry but I think you have a brain tumor. Get it checked immediately :(

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

darn

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

FormaldehydeSon posted:

Absolutely free of context, this one is almost kind of enjoyable, but knowing it's a Dilbert comic changes the tone of it completely.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

FormaldehydeSon posted:

It's from like 30 years ago when dilbert was relevant

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I'm not a certified genius so my brain can't fully comprehend why that comic is supposed to be funny. Is the joke that paying too much attention to measurements of things and taking random things apart just for curiosity's sake are things that men, and not women, would stereotypically do? Or is it just wacky, random stuff that no person would stereotypically do?

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
The joke is Dilbert got horny

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Devils Affricate posted:

I'm not a certified genius so my brain can't fully comprehend why that comic is supposed to be funny. Is the joke that paying too much attention to measurements of things and taking random things apart just for curiosity's sake are things that men, and not women, would stereotypically do? Or is it just wacky, random stuff that no person would stereotypically do?

Scott Adams is scared of lesbians

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

Scott Adams is scared of lesbians women

From what I can gather his grasp on gender is roughly equivalent to that of your average incel.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

:o

>:o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

This thread is all of a sudden riding upon a razor thin precipice.