Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
been squinting at this one like a riddle

I see the

quote:

""india is so backwards and unscientific" -an indian guy" - a white guy
but, the joke, dear god

stripped down and workshopped, I think it would look something like this:

quote:

asok: did you hear India criminalized being gay?
dilbert: I guess they'll be getting rid of the taj manal then
asok: why's that?
dilbert: have you seen it? that place is totally gay! :imunfunny:
OR

quote:

asok: India criminalized being gay. I'm ashamed of my home country's homophobia
dilbert: with their lack of understanding, I'm worried about their respect for and preservation of historical cultural sites like the taj mahal
asok: the taj manal? hah! gayyyy
it's unclear, because the joke is so poorly told
why are they even talking about nuclear weapons? it just creates this extra leap the audience has to make either that, because india criminalized homosexuality, that means they want to nuke gay people, or that because they're unscientific they would use nuclear weapons to destroy their own landmarks
without that leap, dilbert's remark makes no sense as a reply to what asok was saying, and even so, what he says is the first half of a punchline that he just leaves hanging for asok to finish, which asok would have no way of intuiting. this reads like a story written by a patient suffering from brain damage that's used in a psychology class to demonstrate what it looks like when somebody loses the ability to distinguish other people's understanding from their own
asok understands it because adams understands it, so you end up with this broken statler and waldorf exchange being performed for an audience of nobody, squeezed into the last panel because the first two are taken up by a bizarre racist sockpuppet rant, and crippled by the pointless addition of nukes

it is such a bad joke.

the only way to read this strip for it to make any sense is that adams forgot that he was writing two characters
he got so wrapped up in trying to get digs in at astrologists and addressing india's status as a nuclear power that he lost his theory of mind
he got so distracted by his own STEMlord jerk-off pontification that he forgot how to conceptualize human beings having different thoughts and feelings
(which, in a way, summarizes his entire career)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

:o

>:o

Cubone
May 26, 2011

The_Continental posted:

This thread is all of a sudden riding upon a razor thin precipice.
my precipice was cut off at birth

Cubone
May 26, 2011

oh wow, he was the guy with the confusing torso?