Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for February, 2020?
This poll is closed.
Jon Moxley (AEW Champion) 44 47.31%
:judas: Chris Jericho (FORMER AEW Champion) 18 19.35%
:mediocre: Nyla Rose (AEW Women's Champion) 7 7.53%
:razorfront: Bill Goldberg (WWE Universal Champion) 6 6.45%
Yuka Sakazaki (PRINCESS of PRINCESS Champion) 5 5.38%
:nallears: Tetsuya Naito (IWGP Champion) 4 4.30%
:kamina: Naruki Doi (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 3 3.23%
:livintrope: Masato Tanaka (KO-D Openweight Champion) 2 2.15%
:stoked: Riho (FORMER AEW Women's Champion) 2 2.15%
:nono: Bayley (Smackdown Women's Champion) 0 0%
:clint: Becky Lynch (Raw Women's Champion) 0 0%
:prepop: Brock Lesnar (WWE Champion) 0 0%
:yowie: The Fiend (FORMER WWE Universal Champion) 0 0%
Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 0 0%
PCO (FORMER ROH World Champion) 0 0%
:zerg: Rush (ROH World Champion) 0 0%
:how: None of the Above 2 2.15%
Total: 93 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The 2020s started the same way the last four years all began, with the IWGP Champion winning the first month of the poll on the strength of the Wrestle Kingdom event. But this wasn't the usual suspects, because finally a years old storyline culminated, as Tetsuya Naito FINALLY got his Wrestle Kingdom main event against Kazuchika Okada, won the belt AND all with the love and support of fans who had once humiliatingly rejected him. Naito's victory was sullied (but also set up an amazing new feud) by an assault from KENTA but the belts were his, and nobody could deny that Naito had finally TRULY reached the top of the mountain. Yes he's been the IWGP Champion before, and he's won the monthly polls before (just not for several years) but this January felt like something new and special for the Double Champion. He's the IWGP Heavyweight Champion, he's the IWGP Intercontinental Title, and once again he became the Rowdy Ringsports Pro-Wrestling Champion of the Month too.

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Stardom Champion Mayu Iwatani and GHC Heavyweight Champion Go Shiozaki do not appear in this month's poll. IMPACT, NWA, NXT & PWG remain removed from the poll due to such a poor showing in 2019. NOAH will return to the poll on the next title defense but will be dropped if their polling remains as bad as it did in January.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone, listed in the order of most votes for the previous month. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

:nallears: Tetsuya Naito (IWGP Champion) - After having his moment of greatest triumph soiled by KENTA jumping him at Wrestle Kingdom, Naito agreed to bypass the usual qualifications needed for a title shot and put his double-belts on the line at The New Beginning in Osaka. There he and KENTA delivered a very good match undercut by two genuine Match of the Year Contenders being earlier in the card. Will that be held against Naito this month?

:judas: Chris Jericho (FORMER AEW Champion) - After doing everything in his power to first ingratiate himself to and then destroy #1 Contender Jon Moxley, Chris Jericho finally had no choice but to defend his title against him. At the AEW Revolution PPV, however, he finally meet his match as every single dirty trick and bit of outside interference failed, and he fell victim to the Paradigm Shift. This ends a remarkable run as Champion for a wrestler who has mastered the art of reinvention and staying relevant as he ages.

Jon Moxley (AEW Champion) - Can you vote for a wrestler who was only champion for 30 minutes of the month? In the past we haven't listed wrestlers who have, but the ENTIRE month was about Moxley's build to becoming Champion, he wrapped up one of the most important PPVs of a hot young promotion's life to date, became the first ever face World Champion of that promotion and cut one hell of a promo putting over the fans before declaring he was going to go get drunk on whiskey and leaving through the crowd. It was a hell of a culmination of a months-long storyline, but it is up to you all to decide if that 30 minutes of ACTUALLY being Champion is enough to warrant your vote.

:stoked: Riho (FORMER AEW Women's Champion) - Riho defended her title against Nyla Rose, who she had faced on the first Dynamite to become the inaugural Women's Champion in October. That match was exceptional but this one was even better, a red-hot crowd watched one of the best matches of the year and ended a run of title defenses that constantly surprised not just in how good they were, but how hot the crowd was for a wrestler they barely knew 4 months earlier.

:mediocre: Nyla Rose (AEW Women's Champion) - "When I get mad, I break bitches!" declared Nyla, who after winning the title went backstage demanding to know where the tearful celebrations, interviews and booze that other champions had gotten were. Kriss Statlander was the first to get a shot, but Nyla successfully defended her new belt against her at AEW's Revolution PPV.

Yuka Sakazaki (PRINCESS of PRINCESS Champion) - Yuka avenged her time limit draw in London by defeating Pro Wrestling EVE's Lana Austin on home turf, ensuring that she'll walk into TJPW's Wrestlemania weekend show as champion where she will defend against Su Yung. However, two months was clearly too long for Yuka to wait to return to the Good Ol' USA. Yuka made her triumphant return to AEW and even got her theme song played this time. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:yowie: The Fiend (FORMER WWE Universal Champion) - A month after defeating Daniel Bryan at Royal Rumble and several months after making Seth Rollins cry like a baby, Bray Wyatt went to the Blood Money Show in Saudi Arabia to face the 53-year-old Goldberg. The story of the match was Goldberg laughing off Wyatt's attempts to play mindgames with him. They got in the match and Goldberg easily beat Bray without any trouble. Masterful storytelling.

:razorfront: Bill Goldberg (WWE Universal Champion) - After a 3 minute match to win the title, Goldberg went to Smackdown and asked who his Wrestlemania opponent would be. Roman Reigns said,"I'm next". WWE announced that would be the Wrestlemania match. Masterful storytelling.

:nono: Bayley (Smackdown Women's Champion) - The evil, heelish Bayley who cowardly defeated Lacey Evans in their feud, then went on to despicably defeat first Carmela and then Naomi in title matches through February. But she suffered a non-title loss towards the end of the month to Naomi when she disgustingly allowed herself to get distracted being concerned for the safety of her best friend at ringside who was being heroically assaulted. Masterful storytelling.

Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) - Kento defeated Yuma Aoyagi at the Excite Series earlier this month to retain the title has has held since late 2018.

:livintrope: Masato Tanaka (KO-D Openweight Champion) - Despite being old enough to be his father, Tanaka was able to endure MAO's "hosed up wrestling for a hosed up world" to extend his winning streak and retain the KO-D Championship and even gained a few rubber duckies for his kid's bath time in the process. Given the opportunity to choose his own opponent, Tanaka chose the longest reigning KO-D champion in history, Konosuke Takeshita to prove his dominance over DDT once and for all. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:clint: Becky Lynch (Raw Women's Champion) - After weeks of a storyline of,"I've been letting WWE keep me away from Asuka because I'm scared I can't beat her", Becky changed the storyline to,"Asuka has been ducking me all year!" and defeated her for the second time in 2 weeks to retain her title. Then Shayna Baszler showed up and loving bit her. Then Becky challenged Shayna to a title match. Then it was announced Shayna would be in the Elimination Chamber match for a shot at a title match. Masterful storytelling.

:prepop: Brock Lesnar (WWE Champion) - Ricochet earned a title shot against Brock at the Blood Money Show in Saudi Arabia to possibly replace him against Drew McIntyre at Wrestlemania. Brock laughed at Ricochet and Paul Heyman said that Brock could easily defeat him without trouble. AJ Styles also laughed at Ricochet and called him a loser. Ricochet said he would prove he wasn't. Brock defeated Ricochet with laughable ease in like 2 minutes and Ricochet didn't get a single bit of offense in. Masterful storytelling.

:kamina: Naruki Doi (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - After defeating Ben-K at the tail end of last year to win the belt, Doi successfully defended his new title in a match against Kzy at Dragon Gate's Truth Gate show.

PCO (FORMER ROH World Champion) - It was six weeks between title defenses, but somebody must have strapped the car battery up to PCO because he successfully defended his World Title against Ryu Lee at the Bound by Honor show, and his unexpected late career resurgence seemed set to continue.... until it was derailed right at the end of February when he lost to Rush in a triple thread after interference by Nick Aldis.

:zerg: Rush (ROH World Champion) - Rush beat PCO to become the ROH World Champion again in a triple threat match, with the aid of Nick Aldis.

:how: None of the Above - If you look at the listed Champions and the only thing you can think is,"....how?" or if you just want to see the results, then this is the option for you.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I dont see no poll nerd

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Junpei Hyde posted:

I dont see no poll nerd

You better than anybody should know how the poll creation at this place works!

Anyway, I legit don't know if I should vote for Jericho or Moxley, I'm thinking Jericho because he was the actual Champion for most of the month even if the storyline was so heavily reliant on both of them, but on the other hand Moxley's win and promo was such a great moment.

Naito beating KENTA was also good but it didn't have quite the same build to it that Moxley/Jericho managed.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My first vote for Moxley. It won't be my last in these polls either

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

My first vote for Moxley. It won't be my last in these polls either

Truly we are in a new era

CJ2 and I agree on wrestling

:unsmith:

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

JEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOXLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
voted Masterful storytelling

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
PCO just lost the ROH Title tonight to Rush

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Foochs was Right.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Kinda expected Nyla to be closer and Jericho/Mox splitting each other's votes

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

voted Jericho

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

moxley did not have a choir singing his theme so he is only the second best champion of the month

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I thought Riho might get some votes (I mean, she still can!) too based on the strength of that incredible final defense against Nyla.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
protest vote for Rush who is robbed of being on this poll

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

PCO just lost the ROH Title tonight to Rush

God loving DAMMIT.

Well gently caress it there's enough on there already he can wait till next month.

Edit: Added him to the poll. Why the gently caress did they do a show the same night as Revolution? :psyduck:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 1, 2020

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

add him to the poll you can do it you can't hide it from me

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Naruki Doi vs Kzy, best title match of Feb so Doi should win.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
it's only 30 minutes but it's a pretty drat good 30 minutes, voted Foochsley

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Gooold beeergg gooold beerrg gooolldd beeerrrgg

masterful storytelling

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i'm gonna be one of the only naito votes not that i can really argue against mox rn

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

forkboy84 posted:

Naruki Doi vs Kzy, best title match of Feb so Doi should win.

Pointless vote but I think it's the best title match I got around to seeing in Feb. I haven't seen Mox v Jericho yet but it happened on the 1st my timezones so it's out

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

disappointed in jerusalem's inability to be objective.

:judas:

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Tempted to vote Goldberg.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Goldberg

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
jon moxley hasn't done anything as champion yet, stop voting for him, this instant

with 61 votes total, Moxley only has 30, showing that Rowdy Ringsports wants an alternative

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Seth Rollins posted:

jon moxley hasn't done anything as champion yet, stop voting for him, this instant

He has too

He said "hey what the gently caress" on a PPV

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I present the case for Naruki Doi, his Truth Gate defence vs Kzy

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av87513619?from=search&seid=7936282711018060688

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sadly in my timezone Mox won the title in march so I can't vote for him

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Junpei Hyde posted:

you should remove him from the poll

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Voted Masato because hes a top 10 personal list guy for me

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

You know who did have a title match in February?

Naruki Doi. Vote Doi

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
smdh at the loser naito not even getting a two-month streak.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Goldberg getting more votes than Naito rules, no matter how temporary it is

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Nyla Rose is strong and cool and good.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Pour one out for the Judas this month, since I'm certain I'll be voting Mox next month.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One day down, 3 to go, and Nyla Rose and Bill Goldberg have the same number of votes, so I hope Nyla puts him through a table.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

One day down, 3 to go, and Nyla Rose and Bill Goldberg have the same number of votes, so I hope Nyla puts him through a table.

This is elder abuse

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bumping with a reminder to vote!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Love Moxley, was there when he won. Voting Nyla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Bumping with a reminder to vote!

And to remind people to watch Doi vs Kzy & then vote Naruki Doi :hai:

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av87513619?from=search&seid=7936282711018060688