Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING MARCH TWENTIETH
This poll is closed.
DOOM 39 13.36%
ANIMAL CROSSING 41 14.04%
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING 84 28.77%
Melinda Megamelons and her gang of busty felons (Inc Bowsette) 56 19.18%
hotgirl69 72 24.66%
Total: 292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Convex posted:

Super Mario Bros 3 will always be the best Mario game. There's never been anything that's topped it in terms of sheer replayability imo

weird way to say super mario galaxy and odyssey and world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the best one is odyssey

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

From all the fandom I would not have guessed Isabelle was such a recent addition to the series

its the only game we've had for the last 8 years everyones become good friends with her

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

al-azad posted:

With online auto-saves there’s no point in Resetti. Some say this is an example of automation’s job killing death march but really it’s the mole being free of hate and abuse.

resetti is now in charge of the feature that lets you "reset" your position if you get stuck somehow

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

no doomguy in smash he'd be extremely boring and we're already full on boring character quotas with the 50 fire emblems

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

make a new quake

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

they already did and no one wanted it

yeah but a good quake, just like doom 2016 vs doom 3.

unless you mean quake champions which owns

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Weedle posted:

apparently this is true but i have literally never heard of "quake champions" before despite releasing a year and a half ago. maybe that's part of the problem

its good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

haveblue posted:

Quake Champions may be good at the sick 360 noscope railgun aspect of Quake but they should make a new game for the other aspect which is leaping through a portal from a tech base into a mouldering eldritch castle and blowing up knights in armor with a rocket launcher

quake 1 is bad i meant make a quake 2 reboot

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

no, a direct sequel to quake 2, quake 1 is bad

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

haveblue posted:

There was a direct sequel to Quake 2, Quake 4

yeah but a good one instead

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i bought doom 3 and farcry and then when they wouldnt run on my very bad computer i bought a PCI fx5200 and they still wouldnt run and also the card eventually melted itself

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

al-azad posted:

You're bad and your opinions are bad.

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OLmDh6Fyy8

quake 1 suffers from being retrofitted from another type of game into an fps, its enemies suck to shoot and fight and the map design isnt aware of the fact that the engine is broken and lets you go insanely fast. thankfully quake 2 fixes all of this.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

al-azad posted:

All the RPG stuff was scrapped early in its development. The final game is the purest FPS, so pure there isn't even an interact button you just ram your face into everything. It follows Doom 2's progression of design by demanding the player learn the layout of levels and memorize locations of power ups and later levels are all about maintaining a fighting retreat to avoid being overwhelmed.

Like Doom 2016 is far more a reboot of Quake than it is Doom. Quake 2 is like "what if id made a LithTech engine game" which again is fine but not as pure as Quake.

its not the purest fps because the guns suck and the enemies are unfun to fight and the map design is atrocious. quake 2 is far more """""pure""""" because its about blasting through the level using rocket jumps and gibbing enemies who engage in ranged firefights.

doom 2016 is a reboot of doom because it doesnt have circle or strafe jumping to build up infinite speed.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

al-azad posted:

Quake 2 doesn't even have pain state, fighting enemies is like shooting a brick wall until HP = 0 and it slumps over. Quake 2's enemies are all the same shade of lumpy humanoid, give me a loving Ogre any day over slow ranged guy 1-5.

And lol I can't believe you're using mastery of an engine's quirks as a negative to the game, what next you're going to say Tribes was bad because the skiing wasn't an intended feature? Get outta here.

quake 2 enemies do react to being hit? and also most of the time you are just gibbing them immediately.

the second part is you not reading what i said.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

al-azad posted:

I read what you said and you're downplaying how much mastery of the system Quake rewards by abusing its physics. Strafe jumping is cool and good and Quake's levels are built vertically around your mastery of moving as fast as possible.

yes which is why doom 2016 is doom and not quake, and quake 1 doesnt fundamentally understand quite how broken its own engine is like quake 2, they are not intended mechanics. this is exemplified by carmack himself wanting to remove it even as late as quake 3. but by quake 2 map designers realised how much pure speed you could build up and the levels were much more condusive to flying around at ridiculous speeds.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

remember when the doom 3 expansion added a gravity gun

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

al-azad posted:

And you're saying this is a bad thing but no, it's what makes Quake stand out.

The thing about Quake that Quake 2 completely diverges from is in the design philosophies of its enemies. Doom (and by extension Quake) are all about throwing you into geometrically complex rooms with spongey monsters that control the playing field. The ogre's grenades bounce around corners which eliminates a Doom strategy of strafing around corners. The hitscanners are coupled with a variety of new and faster melee enemies to corner you. The fiend replaces the pinky as a spongey enemy but this one is faster and can leap platforms. The vore is a super revenant and shambler an arch-vile stand-in, both demand you know how to react and move fast as gently caress.

This is where Quake 2 fails. It's the start of shooters as a contemporary single player product and the result is everything is real streamlined. Quake is the last of the old school arcadey level-based design of shooters** where you're plopped down into a weird rear end map with powerups and poo poo.

This is why Doom 2016 is far more Quake than Doom. Because Quake is 3D Doom. Instead of bunny hopping to light speed you just abuse the instant weapon switch and glory kill teleport through platforms. And Doom 2016 understands the importance of area control through its enemies, like the hellknight is basically a fiend.

**Officially I think that reward belongs to Blood but Blood is a game that will instantly punish you for peaking your head around a corner too fast.

ah yes spongey enemies in an fps, the hallmark of fun. no.

quake 2 is the god king of single player fps. doom maze maps and key gathering sucks. slowing down sucks. enemies sucking up shots for hours sucks. what owns is destroying the game engine to accelerate like a rocket while you instagib everything around you in a perfect fusion of brain and hands and quad damage. doom 2016 is 3d doom. quake is quake 2 and 3 and live and champions. quake 1 is neither as good at being doom as doom or as good at being quake as quake and is resigned to the trash can of gaming history.

and thats why we need a new quake 2 with strafe and circle jumping fully intact like in champions.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

al-azad posted:

Quake 2 has the opposite problem of everything being so incredibly weak and samey that nothing poses much of a threat even on nightmare. Quake understands Doom's design of balancing priority spongey enemies like pinkies and hellknights with glass cannons like shotgunners and revenants. Enemies that go down in one hit and all are just cyborg-humanoids, that's boring as poo poo

spongey enemies suck and arent fun

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

gotta go fast

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

al-azad posted:

Spongey enemies are fun when they're design to draw your attention or deny your movement for smaller, weaker enemies to plink your health.

For someone who claims to love Kamiya and various character action games I know you're just trolling because Japanese action games love big hit point laden enemies and area control as fundamental parts of the gameplay. The same concepts applied to Doom which carried over to Quake. Every enemy has a specific purpose of hurting you but also denying you space to move.

sorry i should be more specific that spongey enemies in a fast paced fps arent fun

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

did someone say hated game mechanic, how do you all feel about weapon durabil

i only like it in dark souls 2

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

remember painkiller that was a good game

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the only thing doom was good for was eventually spawning arena shooters and the shock branch of single player fps games is better for single player

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

anyway thats why prey 2017 is better than doom 2016

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

Imo of these only R6 is really any good and it's held back by modern/military design choices that would be better if cut. I still think it's really cool though but I haven't played in a long while

Apex is worse Titanfall and pubg is a loving mess, or at least it was last I played. Tarkov I have not tried, the ideas behind it actually seem pretty neat but milsim stuff just isn't for me.

pubg owns but would benefit from them turningg off all maps that arent erangel

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

rewatched shin godzilla... now thats what i call godzilla!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

hey maybe check out the sequel. "elbow godzilla" hahahaha

huh well i guess this post is the end of the trilogy and is "hand godzilla" because this is completely out of it.

its out of hand.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

sorry

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3Eh0jbddmk

nier a replay imminent.............

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is "Loveless" anyway

turn your monitor off

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the best hiest game well haha... its freaking star citizen if u ask this goons humble opine... the whoel things a freaking racket!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

https://twitter.com/BAFTAGames/status/1234746803637116928

4 of these are in the top 6 of these own forums' GOTY list.

Then there's Luigi's Mansion :confused:

anodyne 2 is the best game of 2019 and on no lists makes you think

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ff7 is bad and im glad people who never played it are going to get to experience disc 2 and 3 and then look at their friends who like it with disgust

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lol imagine if there was also a monkey.... and he was eating a cheese xD

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

wow bernie was jacked when he was younger huh

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Probably Platinum somehow not being able to handle porting Wonderful 101 to xbox.

genuinely probably not worht the effort

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

stux made fun of me for listening to mike and jf for months but now he's listening to them backwards

what can i say theyre funny when the guys are talking like twin peaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

"trac eht no" snaem ti