Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

They should never have destroyed the Liberator imo, though it made for one hell of a cliffhanger.

It wasn't supposed to be a cliffhanger, it was supposed to be the end.

It was a bit of a surprise for the Cast and Crew to find out they'd got another series from the continuity announcer as the credits for the last episode ran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!

BooDooBoo posted:

It wasn't supposed to be a cliffhanger, it was supposed to be the end.

It was a bit of a surprise for the Cast and Crew to find out they'd got another series from the continuity announcer as the credits for the last episode ran.

Yeah, IIRC the BBC bigwig in charge of serial dramas or some such was watching it and liked what he was seeing, made a phone call, and commissioned a fourth series before the episode had finished airing. I believe they had to scramble to find a new producer as the guy who'd produced the three previous series had already accepted a new job on a different show, and of course they had to negotiate new contracts with everyone (except Jan Chappell, who'd gotten tired of playing Cally and decided to move on).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Jenna and Cally got shortchanged so much in terms of getting to do cool stuff.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Jenna and Cally got shortchanged so much in terms of getting to do cool stuff.

Literally every female character except Servelan got shortchanged, with MAYBE the exception of Dayna, who at least got to be a badass every now and then.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Literally every female character except Servelan got shortchanged, with MAYBE the exception of Dayna, who at least got to be a badass every now and then.

There's like two episodes where Jenna got to do anything substantial, I totally get why her actress bailed from the show. I think they tried to give Cally things to do but they all involved getting brain-scrambled by aliens so, again, I get why Jan Chappell didn't come back. And to think people joke about classic Dr. Who companions getting nothing to do when that show's practically The Vagina Monologues by comparison.

Sci-fi in the 70s was so loving progressive y'all.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 16, 2021

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!
Not sure if this is a thread necro or not, but I recently did a rewatch of B7 and (since this seems to be a catch-all B7 thread), I might do an effort post later re: my thoughts on all four seasons. But for now: nobody, but nobody, can casually deliver the most cutting of insults the way Paul Darrow could.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Not sure if this is a thread necro or not, but I recently did a rewatch of B7 and (since this seems to be a catch-all B7 thread), I might do an effort post later re: my thoughts on all four seasons. But for now: nobody, but nobody, can casually deliver the most cutting of insults the way Paul Darrow could.

Rowan Atkinson's Blackadder comes close but yeah, Avon is the insult king

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

In comparison to classic Doctor Who's Jon Pertwee & Tom Baker doing the same thing, Darrow-as-Avon comes off as good not great; almost like Avon spent 95% of his time off-screen generating cutting insulting with Orac & Zen in text-only mode.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

quantumfoam posted:

In comparison to classic Doctor Who's Jon Pertwee & Tom Baker doing the same thing, Darrow-as-Avon comes off as good not great; almost like Avon spent 95% of his time off-screen generating cutting insulting with Orac & Zen in text-only mode.

He probably did and this is PERFECT Avon characterisation

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pertwee and Baker always had the undercurrent of good-naturedness unless they're absolutely furious at someone truly deserving.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!

Goblin Craft posted:

Pertwee and Baker always had the undercurrent of good-naturedness unless they're absolutely furious at someone truly deserving.

Plus they usually punched up, in terms of brutally insulting people in power (unless it was Four and Harry Sullivan). Avon gives no shits about who he insults :c00lbert:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Plus they usually punched up, in terms of brutally insulting people in power (unless it was Four and Harry Sullivan). Avon gives no shits about who he insults :c00lbert:

For Avon, there was no punching up, because everyone else was beneath him.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!

Davros1 posted:

For Avon, there was no punching up, because everyone else was beneath him.

One of my favorite Blake lines was when he told Avon "Could you forget your superiority complex for a moment..."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Listening to the Blake's 7 audio "Battleground", and I love this dig at Blake:

(Blake's preparing them to teleport down to a planet that houses 18,000 Federation troopers)

Vila: Could we take a vote again?
Avon: You only vote in a democracy.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 4, 2021

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The relationship between Avon and Vila is one of the underappreciated gems of the series, imo. They're both highly skilled, consummate survivors with completely different outlooks on life, both understand the other's position and reject it, and they're a classic funny man/straight man pairing.

And then there's "Orbit"
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x51y49p?start=2402s
Avon prowling the ship with a gun in hand, imploring Vila to come out in what he doubtless thinks is a friendly and reassuring manner, while Vila hides in a locker trying not to hyperventilate in terror is probably the scariest thing in the entire show.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!

Payndz posted:

Avon prowling the ship with a gun in hand, imploring Vila to come out in what he doubtless thinks is a friendly and reassuring manner, while Vila hides in a locker trying not to hyperventilate in terror is probably the scariest thing in the entire show.

I also liked the running "gag" of Avon telling Vila "you know you're always safe with me" that bookends the episode. Avon saying it first in a sarcastic "friendly" manner, then much more harshly at the end.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The little moment after Orac bluntly says "Vila weighs seventy-three kilos, Avon" where Avon looks mortified, obviously thinking "but he's my closest ally and for all his annoyances he's quite useful, can I possibly kill him to save myself?" before sliding into "if that's what it takes..." is a really nice bit of acting from Darrow.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/EddieRobson/status/1462401057544355843?s=20

Though I don't think Orac would be dumb enough to invest in crypto, but Avon would absolutely use it to run his own crypto scam all crypto is a scam

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!
Avon, sent to Cygnus Alpha for the crime of hacking the Federation's blockchain encryption

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah, if Orac was for whatever reason interested in accumulating money, he wouldn't bother with crypto, he'd play the stock market; with his abilities he's the ultimate inside trader!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

orac does a frisbee-on-the-roof attack by himself and cripples the federation's nascent crypto economy

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Vila doesn't trust a man who has a lock on his booze cabinet, no way he'd invest in crypto. Tarrant, on the other hand...

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!
Gan's limiter implant started to burn out because he was using it for Fedcoin mining

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.
I had Jacqueline Pearce tell me B7 wasn't any good, and I disagreed and said it was alright, watching it with a bag of fish and chips on a Saturday night on UK gold. B7 had the kinkiest of fans I've found.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

FelchTragedy posted:

I had Jacqueline Pearce tell me B7 wasn't any good, and I disagreed and said it was alright, watching it with a bag of fish and chips on a Saturday night on UK gold. B7 had the kinkiest of fans I've found.

username certainly checks out

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
in the episode Harvest of Kairos, Avon makes a detour to some weird planet and brings back a lifeform that protects itself by projecting the appearance of being a threat marginally superior to whatever is looking at it. Orac the supercomputer sees the greatest intelligence in the universe. When they hook it up to a tiny space shuttle, the Liberator sees a a high-powered warship.

The crew sees a small rock. The implications of this are never addressed.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!

Buttchocks posted:

in the episode Harvest of Kairos, Avon makes a detour to some weird planet and brings back a lifeform that protects itself by projecting the appearance of being a threat marginally superior to whatever is looking at it. Orac the supercomputer sees the greatest intelligence in the universe. When they hook it up to a tiny space shuttle, the Liberator sees a a high-powered warship.

The crew sees a small rock. The implications of this are never addressed.

IIRC, a rock is the lifeform's natural appearance, it evolved on the permanent dark side of its home planet, and it only gets seen as a slightly superior threat when it's being communicated with telepathically; e.g., Cally sees her mother when she tries to read it. I would imagine Orac and Zen's scans of it operate on a similar psychic wavelength, because (handwaves science fiction-ly).

That's a terrible episode even without the psychic rock, because of all the rampant misogyny between Servalan and the "I was a skilled pilot, but I decided to quit and do backbreaking labor for the rest of my life instead" dude.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

IIRC, a rock is the lifeform's natural appearance, it evolved on the permanent dark side of its home planet, and it only gets seen as a slightly superior threat when it's being communicated with telepathically; e.g., Cally sees her mother when she tries to read it. I would imagine Orac and Zen's scans of it operate on a similar psychic wavelength, because (handwaves science fiction-ly).

That's a terrible episode even without the psychic rock, because of all the rampant misogyny between Servalan and the "I was a skilled pilot, but I decided to quit and do backbreaking labor for the rest of my life instead" dude.

Still, a missed opportunity for Avon to make a snide comment about Tarrant being inferior to a rock.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Orac and Zen's scans of it operate on a similar psychic wavelength, because (handwaves science fiction-ly).

It's a plot point in Shadow that Cally's telepathy moves through the same dimension as Orac's carrier waves, which is how Orac gets possessed by an extra-dimensional being.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!

It's a plot point in Shadow that Cally's telepathy moves through the same dimension as Orac's carrier waves, which is how Orac gets possessed by an extra-dimensional being.

Yeah, I was thinking of that when I wrote the earlier post. Even though it's only been a few months since my last one, I think I might have to do another B7 rewatch here soon. :v:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/Spacecrafting76/status/1559943076260581377?s=20&t=Iu-yAs5pTi_8akyCwZX3oQ
:aaaaa:

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

wow, that's cool!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

this is still one of my favourite sci-fi ship bridge designs

I love that comfy little 70s couch area/conversation pit in front of all the space bridge stuff. Just chill out there, chat, have a few Babychams.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

feedmegin posted:

I love that comfy little 70s couch area/conversation pit in front of all the space bridge stuff. Just chill out there, chat, have a few Babychams.

I always got the impression that the bridge was a sphere and that the original model was designed so that the green bit was the front.

But then it turns out that the Liberator is loving MASSIVE.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

big shout out to my grandma (RIP) who let me stay up past 9pm to watch Blakes 7 with her, when my parents wouldn't let me at watch it at home

she grew up reading her brother's Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon comics, which is p cool

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I've been watching the new Star Wars Andor show, and I'm getting B7 vibes from it. probably due to all the British accents and overcast, gloomy locations

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I've been watching the new Star Wars Andor show, and I'm getting B7 vibes from it. probably due to all the British accents and overcast, gloomy locations

I finally started that tonight and I thought the same. They really went 100% for the "bleak 1970s" aesthetic.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

in the latest episode there's a scene that looks like it was shot in a quarry :)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

in the latest episode there's a scene that looks like it was shot in a quarry :)

It's traditional.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BBCQuarry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

That's like almost any episode with outdoor scenes, though.