Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's like a lot of US events between now and Wrestlemania so that's not happening unless a whole lot of bigger companies are cancelling events first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If they cancel March Madness, we riot

I'm glad Renee isn't on Raw anymore, I can't imagine the kind of poo poo Vince would be in her ear to say to downplay Mox

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Welcome..............to Twitch season nnnnhghghnngnn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSdHH92KOnY

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Well that's definitely 6 minutes of cringe as expected

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Lol WWE is giving this match away for free.

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1234234829438431234

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Incessant Excess posted:

Welcome..............to Twitch season nnnnhghghnngnn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSdHH92KOnY

I really want Undertaker's mania match to be against a twitch streamer. Please make it happen.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

20 minutes for entrances, 60 minutes for the dota match

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

DarkstarIV posted:

Ah yes WWE countering AEW's ingenious tactic of "market matches people really obviously want to see multiple weeks in advance and make a big deal out of them" with "throw it out there a day before with no fanfare and probably give it a non-finish"

Wait that's what they've done for a decade, nevermind.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Still a big fan of them pretending a news outlet scooped their big match

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

TriffTshngo posted:

Ah yes WWE countering AEW's ingenious tactic of "market matches people really obviously want to see multiple weeks in advance and make a big deal out of them" with "throw it out there a day before with no fanfare and probably give it a non-finish"

Wait that's what they've done for a decade, nevermind.

I have a feeling that Shayna will probably go over Asuka clean to give her a high profile win. Maybe the other EC participants or Becky will jump in afterwards, but I don't see a non-finish happening here.

I would also not be shocked if WWE thinks the real money feud after Mania is Shayna/Nattie. Even though there is drat near a 100% chance it will be utter poo poo if it happens.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Neodoomium posted:

As you can see from the fact that this match wasn't reported first by us, we have zero ability to control our own messaging.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Neodoomium posted:

Like, where does this come from, anyway? What's the logic? Is it just because they know it won't actually get noticed if they just do a press release so they want to highlight that they did so?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I think the only point of that was name dropping the ny post in a tweet because 'look we get mainstream attention'

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, but they do it all the time. Like, I'm expecting them to crow about Liger going into the HOF being 'reported by Rolling Stone' or something in a week or two.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, but they do it all the time. Like, I'm expecting them to crow about Liger going into the HOF being 'reported by Rolling Stone' or something in a week or two.

If Rolling Stone wrote an article about it they absolutely would

Anything with a following of any kind that mentions them they work into their marketing somehow

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

DarkstarIV posted:

WWE gives every match away for free at this point? Or do you think there's people who would specifically sign up to the Network to watch Baszler vs Asuka who don't already have a Network sub?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

forkboy84 posted:

WWE gives every match away for free at this point? Or do you think there's people who would specifically sign up to the Network to watch Baszler vs Asuka who don't already have a Network sub?

with one day build

we need to pop a rating...?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah it's like the same 1.3 million people or whatever paying for the network endlessly who probably won't cancel until they're dead

They're mostly 50+ though

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

forkboy84 posted:

WWE gives every match away for free at this point?

Yeah, it kinda undersells the idea if they're not selling PPVs anymore. I mean, I hate WWE but we commend AEW for giving away good matches on TV.

On the other hand it would be right to criticize WWE for giving away a potentially marquee match with no build or story or true consequence. Which is a thing they do a lot.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

WWE assumes nobody ever watches NXT or cares about any of the feuds they set up in it. See: Gargano/Ciampa, Asuka/Anyone

This cuts against their desire to have a lot of people watch NXT so it will crush AEW.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, it kinda undersells the idea if they're not selling PPVs anymore. I mean, I hate WWE but we commend AEW for giving away good matches on TV.

On the other hand it would be right to criticize WWE for giving away a potentially marquee match with no build or story or true consequence. Which is a thing they do a lot.

:hmmyes:

NXT does it as well, but a bit more sparingly, and generally those matches end in fuckery or non-finishes. Otherwise NXT at least builds up their major matches at least a week or two in advance, and use whatever time in between to push storylines on social media or on TV (if the match itself is at least two weeks away). Where on RAW or Smackdown, the matches end clean and ruin the appeal of another match down the line.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It's not that they're giving it away for free. They're giving it away with no build.

But on the flip side, I just can't get into WWE matches on TV anymore.... Full Entrances, 1-2 minute of basic action like lock ups and wrist locks, 4 minutes of commercials, 5 minutes of action, dive outside the ring, 4 minutes of commercials, finish. They've even been doing a lot of stuff recently where they drag out the entrances as long as possible. They'll show one person enter, cut to a commercial, come back to some philanthropy package or whatever, like Make A Wish, cut back to the ring 5 minutes later and the first person is still standing in the ring like a goober with their entrance music playing.

I feel like I'm watching more commercials than match, and there is no way to tell a good story when you are cutting away for 8 minutes of the match. They don't even try to limit the commercial breaks, and I feel so insulted when they cut away from the action to bookend a commercial break with WWE Shop and Total Divas or Miz and Mrs commercials that are not mandatory.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Neodoomium posted:

WWE assumes nobody ever watches NXT or cares about any of the feuds they set up in it. See: Gargano/Ciampa, Asuka/Anyone

This cuts against their desire to have a lot of people watch NXT so it will crush AEW.

And their assumption that everyone watches NXT so they don't really need to explain who anyone is or what their gimmick is... or that no-one does and they can just totally repackage them, depending on what direction the butterfly in a jar that runs things in Stanford is flying that moment.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WWE simply assumes you'll accept whatever they serve up and they really don't care where the conflicting evidence comes from because you're just supposed to buy what they're selling now.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, but almost nothing they do has any consequences & the stuff that does have a build is generally dogshit. If you watch their programming you must be aware of this. Just doesn't seem worth commenting on, it's WWE, it's more notable when they accidentally stumble into booking something logically & sensibly for a change.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Gaz-L posted:

And their assumption that everyone watches NXT so they don't really need to explain who anyone is or what their gimmick is... or that no-one does and they can just totally repackage them, depending on what direction the butterfly in a jar that runs things in Stanford is flying that moment.

CAN IT BE?

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I've seen some defenses of this match being announced with people claiming "WELL AEW IS GIVING AWAY A WAR GAMES MATCH ON TV FOR FREE IN A FEW WEEKS", and like...the big difference is that AEW is going to build up that match, and make it feel like a big deal.

Where RAW and Smackdown never do that. They'll give away "dream matches" on TV, but never actually build them up. And announce them with little to no fanfare as well.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

STAC Goat posted:

every "good match on TV" for AEW has been weeks of build to, or established reasons as to why its happening, its never been throwing two guys out there and "WHY ARE THEY GIVING THIS AWAY"

The last three weeks "big matches" - PAC v Omega (months of build), Cody v Wardlow (months of build), Riho v Nyla (months of build)

The only exception is Cowboy Bebop vs Lucha Brothers and that played into the four man tag the week or two weeks prior and they already had a history

It's not hypocrisy for praising AEW for it and criticising WWE for it, its that WWE just throws up onto a booking sheet and it has no impact rather than interchangeable gerars being put into interchangeable matches interchangeably

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Bear in mind that a ridic amount of the advertised matches don't even happen or are short gently caress-finishes anyway

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, but almost nothing they do has any consequences & the stuff that does have a build is generally dogshit. If you watch their programming you must be aware of this. Just doesn't seem worth commenting on, it's WWE, it's more notable when they accidentally stumble into booking something logically & sensibly for a change.

Eh. Just because your dog always shits on the carpet doesn't mean you stop getting annoyed by it.

Lid posted:

every "good match on TV" for AEW has been weeks of build to, or established reasons as to why its happening, its never been throwing two guys out there and "WHY ARE THEY GIVING THIS AWAY"

The last three weeks "big matches" - PAC v Omega (months of build), Cody v Wardlow (months of build), Riho v Nyla (months of build)

The only exception is Cowboy Bebop vs Lucha Brothers and that played into the four man tag the week or two weeks prior and they already had a history

It's not hypocrisy for praising AEW for it and criticising WWE for it, its that WWE just throws up onto a booking sheet and it has no impact rather than interchangeable gerars being put into interchangeable matches interchangeably

We're not disagreeing. I just thought it was self explanatory that AEW isn't really "giving" them away with the same lack of story, build, and consequence.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

TV is where WWE makes it money these days (it's keeping the company profitable cause lord knows nothing else is) so having big matches there makes sense

Giving matches away with zero build and not using previous TV to build to big TV matches makes no sense though (Guess which way WWE books it's TV matches)

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Faint praise but it's still better than Russo-era TNA in that respect, I suppose. They'd book their PPVs to build to Impact.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

Faint praise but it's still better than Russo-era TNA in that respect, I suppose. They'd book their PPVs to build to Impact.

I mean I feel like there was a period 12-18 months ago where WWE was booking their PPVs to build Raw/SD. Now it's kinda like they through a bunch of people and keywords in Total Extreme Wrestling and let it do whatever the gently caress they want. There's no build, there's no story, and everything changes to week to week.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I'm laughing so hard - I just got a YouTube recommendation for a Table for 3 clip and they're doing those at loving Applebee's now? Hahahahaha

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Shayna and Asuka are the only people in the Chamber match that are remotely viable as top contenders. They're putting them together to hype that they're the focus of that match. It will probably go 5-7 minutes and have a gently caress finish when the rest of the women interfere. They'll probably tease the Riotttttt Squad working together even though they're opposed like they did with the Shield.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

DeepDickPizza posted:

Shayna and Asuka are the only people in the Chamber match that are remotely viable as top contenders. They're putting them together to hype that they're the focus of that match. It will probably go 5-7 minutes and have a gently caress finish when the rest of the women interfere. They'll probably tease the Riotttttt Squad working together even though they're opposed like they did with the Shield.

That or the more likely option: They want to give Shayna a big win at the expense of someone higher on the food chain, consequences be damned. Because absolutely no one believes Shayna isn't winning at Elimination Chamber, but that won't stop WWE from thinking that it's not good enough. I mean I would not be shocked if this is similar to last Wednesday where Charlotte went over Bianca clean. Just that Shayna goes over Asuka clean. Since the common thread between Bianca and Asuka is that both of them are incredibly popular opposed to who is actually being pushed for title matches at Mania.

Becky/Shayna is going to be really loving bad at Wrestlemania as well. They had no chemistry at all during Survivor Series, and Becky only really works well with women who work at her speed or faster. Shayna isn't that.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 2, 2020

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Eh. I don't see the upside to having Shayna pin the only other person in the match that isn't an afterthought. Shayna will pin Asuka on Sunday. No need to also do it tomorrow. My guess is that Shayna and Asuka will get more singles matches between now and Mania for Shayna to get those pins. Tomorrow will be a gently caress finish.

Of course this is WWE, so who knows...and really who cares. The end result is the same.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

One of the weirdest things about modern WWE is that every match follows the same structure down to the dive to commercial spots and timing of the rest holds etc

It's wild that they not only took away the ability of wrestlers to write their own promos and get good at delivering their own material but they took away their ability to express themselves in the ring and they now have to follow the same cookie cutter pre-rehearsed on the night template for every match they have. I feel like if Vince could replace the entire roster with wrestle robots that all follow the same exact program every night he would.

It's soul-less, void of fun and how can you be excited when you see the same match between the same people nearly spot for spot for weeks at a time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Mr. Carlisle posted:

One of the weirdest things about modern WWE is that every match follows the same structure down to the dive to commercial spots and timing of the rest holds etc

It's wild that they not only took away the ability of wrestlers to write their own promos and get good at delivering their own material but they took away their ability to express themselves in the ring and they now have to follow the same cookie cutter pre-rehearsed on the night template for every match they have. I feel like if Vince could replace the entire roster with wrestle robots that all follow the same exact program every night he would.

It's soul-less, void of fun and how can you be excited when you see the same match between the same people nearly spot for spot for weeks at a time?

cues that Shinsuke Nakamura tweet of "I just wanna feel alive"