Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I think that video is just trolling me into staring into CM Punk's rear end for 3 solid minutes.
It was purposely intended to be ridiculous and to shift the conversation and everyone's attention from the really terrible thing they had done. And it largely succeeded because everyone talks about the video years later and not Punk's accusation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's like a lot of US events between now and Wrestlemania so that's not happening unless a whole lot of bigger companies are cancelling events first.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

forkboy84 posted:

WWE gives every match away for free at this point?

Yeah, it kinda undersells the idea if they're not selling PPVs anymore. I mean, I hate WWE but we commend AEW for giving away good matches on TV.

On the other hand it would be right to criticize WWE for giving away a potentially marquee match with no build or story or true consequence. Which is a thing they do a lot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WWE simply assumes you'll accept whatever they serve up and they really don't care where the conflicting evidence comes from because you're just supposed to buy what they're selling now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, but almost nothing they do has any consequences & the stuff that does have a build is generally dogshit. If you watch their programming you must be aware of this. Just doesn't seem worth commenting on, it's WWE, it's more notable when they accidentally stumble into booking something logically & sensibly for a change.

Eh. Just because your dog always shits on the carpet doesn't mean you stop getting annoyed by it.

Lid posted:

every "good match on TV" for AEW has been weeks of build to, or established reasons as to why its happening, its never been throwing two guys out there and "WHY ARE THEY GIVING THIS AWAY"

The last three weeks "big matches" - PAC v Omega (months of build), Cody v Wardlow (months of build), Riho v Nyla (months of build)

The only exception is Cowboy Bebop vs Lucha Brothers and that played into the four man tag the week or two weeks prior and they already had a history

It's not hypocrisy for praising AEW for it and criticising WWE for it, its that WWE just throws up onto a booking sheet and it has no impact rather than interchangeable gerars being put into interchangeable matches interchangeably

We're not disagreeing. I just thought it was self explanatory that AEW isn't really "giving" them away with the same lack of story, build, and consequence.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like WWE killed all the enthusiasm Matt Hardy had built but like, I wouldn't judge him by what he did in WWE. He was out there in TNA and elsewhere finding ways to be entertaining without having to wrestler more than big overbooked stunt stuff. Its WWE who just threw him back in the ring working the same matches over and over because all they ever wanted was to make sure he couldn't make someone else money.

I mean, as I said, WWE effectively killed my interest in seeing Matt. But I wouldn't be surprised if he can find a way to respark it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Which is weird considering its obvious the Firefly Funhouse/Fiend stuff was at least partially inspired by it.

But I guess Matt made the mistake of coming up with his stuff outside of WWE and bringing it in. So it had to be mocked and ruined.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

shiksa posted:

aew has been telling a very compelling story with their two singles stars who are tag champs, whats the story with buddy and seth? hm? oh. its because seth is a huge loser now, i see.

That one guy is a lacky to the main eventer but the main eventer is a main eventer so he beats the tag teams.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Blaise330 posted:

Has there been a woman's tag team title match this year? Those belts that can be defended on 4 different shows.

Do house show matches count?

If so they defended the belts Feb 29th against Charlotte and Becky Lynch and lost the match by DQ. That "successful" defense came 75 days after their last defense at TLC on Dec 15th where they actually beat Charlotte and Becky Lynch.

Assuming you don't count the house show defense its been 77 days since the Women's Tag Team Titles have been defended. Where does that leave us on our "TNA Path To Devaluing The Women's Tag Titles Until Eric Young Wins Them?" At about this stage of the live of the TNA Knockouts Tag Titles the reign of Taylor Wilde and Hamada mirrored that quite a bit of Asuka and Kairi Sane in that Wilde got involved in an extended singles feud making Hamada and the titles an afterthought. Their reign ended when both were released from their contracts and the titles were stripped because they had not been defended for 30 minutes (kayfabe reason). Angelina Love and Winter would win the belts winning a 4 team tournament that saw Winter sub for Velvet Sky and beginning a story where Love became Winter's roofied zombie lesbian partner. This is the beginning of the era of TNA's titles going bad but they were at least still being defended occassionally.

If you ask me we're ahead of schedule for Eric Young to make history.

WWE 2020: Doing TNA, But Worse

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sure, you could say they wished him well.

Or you could say thatt Randy Orton brutally attacked Edge and they made sad videos and gave weekly updates and called his wife, but Orton brutally attacked Hardy and WWE wished him well in his future endeavors.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gaz-L posted:

I know what you mean, but now I just wish they'd given Reby a live mic on Raw.

I mean, that's clearly what I was going for.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really, really, really hate the way they treated Beth Phoenix. She's a Hall of Famer, a multi-time Champion, an rear end kicker feared as a powerhouse, who just 2 months ago bled through a Rumble match. But she quivered and whimpered in front of Randy, her kick to him had no effect, and she broke with one move. Because she's a wife.

I found that really gross. And fans cheering for an RKO and an awkward Owen voice ending was the cherry on top.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TV Zombie posted:

In seeing the Beth kick which lead to the RKO on twitter...shouldn't Randy be selling the kick harder so that he doesn't pull off the RKO like a second later?

She's just a woman.

edit: Sorry. I'm in a pissy mood now. I shouldn't have let myself watch RAW by inertia. I should block USA or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Codependent Poster posted:

I think the point is that it was a snap decision by him right after the kick, playing into his temper. He held off after the slap but the kick was too much. It fits for his character.

Why? He's a deranged psychopath who has spent 10 or 15 years attacking women and he just claimed that he attacked her husband and potentially crippled him out of love. If WWE was set in a sane world Beth could sue them for endangerment for not having security out there 10 minutes earlier.

Does Randy Orton really need a "snap decision" or excuse?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Astro7x posted:

Contracts have to naturally expire to get a pleasant farewell it seems.

I think its that you have to be a talent WWE actually wants but chooses to leave and they have to want to try and end amicably so you'll come back.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

oldpainless posted:

Didn’t Shayna have two girls with her in nxt? What happened to them?

My understanding is that they're green as hell Performance Center grads and are real, real bad. Shayna was an indie wrestler for years before signing but I believe they jumped straight from MMA to WWE like Ronda.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Crazy Mary Dobson/Sarah Logan suffers from a severe case of "WWE Style" where like she wasn't GREAT on the indies but she was young with potential and kind of good and interesting and different and now she's just the same as everyone and barely used and she's not nearly good enough or experienced enough to find a way to make things work for her or to stand out the way Heidi Lovelace/Ruby Riot can.

Blaise330 posted:

If there was an actual story with build up and they took their time with it instead of just "of course they turned on each other, bitches be jealous"

Why bother writing motivation and story when you could just have them glare at each other and say "this time its about me"?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Transferring whole reddit threads to people who avoid reddit is just mean.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Blaise330 posted:

More than half the women's roster is paired up. There's just no tag division because they don't wanna write that many womens segments in their 5 hours of tv.

In a company that gave a poo poo about their women a tag team division would in theory be a convenient way to get a bunch of them on TV and doing stuff, keep them active when they're not the focus of things, and help younger wrestlers develop more with more experienced partners.

They did seem to care enough about Alexa Bliss to do that with her.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

OFFICER LIGER posted:

i didnt watch raw but i heard about the angle on wor and i think what i would have done was have beth no-sell the rko just pop right back up and start laying into orton and have him hit a low blow and bail

They could have played it better in like a million different ways. Beth could have stood strong and not whimpered and cowered in front of Randy. Randy could have sold her hit and taken a few seconds before he RKOed her. She could have sold the RKO without making it look she was dead and broken but was a wrestler who took a finishing move from a bigger opponent. Or yeah, she could have bounced back and fought back and then taken a second RKO or something. There's a lot of ways they could have done the majority of that segment without reducing Beth Phoenix from Hall of Fame wrestler and bad rear end to "weak wife".

Or they could have just not used Randy preying upon the wife of his opponent or a vulnerable loved one for cheap heat for the 20th time in his career.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 3, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chris James 2 posted:

XFL week 4:

Wildcats/Guardians (ABC) 1.558mil
Dragons/Battlehawks (FOX) 1.802mil
Roughnecks/Renegades (FS1) 1.113mil
Defenders/Vipers (ESPN2) 1.03mil

:rip:

The scary part is they're still in the honeymoon period where their only competition is soccer or late season college basketball. In a week or two we're gonna be full into March Madness mode and soon after that baseball starts. Plus you have 2nd half NBA and NHL that matters and is serious.

The XFL debuted a week after the Superbowl because they had the sports world largely to themselves. But now we're getting into the busy time. Those numbers could get ugly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chris James 2 posted:

They're definitely reaching at least one game in the regular season with NXT/AEW numbers if they're already having every game in a week under 1.9mil by the end of the first month. The interest in it as a sideshow attraction is done

Yeah, I'm thinking those last couple of weeks in March and April could get very ugly numbers and threaten the existence of a 2nd season. I could see a second season but I think they might get bumped back to the secondary sports channels. I'd be surprised if they can put up consistent numbers against baseball and March Madness. But we'll see.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tweak posted:

i wonder how many seasons vince will run XFL at a loss to keep shooting for another huge network deal in the future. I can't imagine abc/espn care terribly about those time slots this time of year and will just continue to air it if vince wants to continue footing the production costs (if I understand the deal right) after next year

If they can keep the tv deals as is and things stay relatively financially stable in WWE land then I could see a second season. They've had enough success in the football world that some guys might get shots in the NFL and it will feel justified as a "feeder" league.

But if they lose their comfy TV deals, get bumped back to satellite channels, and lose talent then I wouldn't be surprised if we never see a second season.

Beyond that, I have no idea. I still think the idea of a "spring feeder league" is kind of a myth that doesn't make sense but like we'd have to see what a less talented, less watched second season looked for that myth to become reality.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jerusalem posted:

If only somehow anybody could have seen this coming. Alas.

I'm sure we'll succeed where all those other spring leagues failed because we addressed the reason they failed... right?

If nothing else the XFL business plan mirrors the WWE way of "it will succeed because we're the ones doing it."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sometimes I remember that Uhaa Nation is on the WWE roster.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is Dana Brooke good at something? Besides like cartwheels?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Intruder posted:

Has Mojo even been on TV since losing the belt after making such a big deal about how important it was to him?
Does he need to be?

I think its the funniest thing we never talk about that WWE absolutely totally 100% gave Mojo Rawley a push so that HHH and Steph could go to Gronk's Superbowl Party.

That's amazing and you can not convince me its not true.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Intruder posted:

His friend and bodyguard turned on him and took his belt and welp he was never seen again

I mean I don't expect that much storytelling for the 24/7 belt I guess and who cares about Mojo but still

I agree its bad booking, but I was making a joke about how he was only on TV for Gronk and he didn't need to be there once it was XFL season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still think she's a pretty decent wrestler, if super stagnate like any WWE women end up eventually.

But yeah, I basically lost any respect I may have had for her from that match.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As usually I don't really know what Matt is saying but it was nice to see Senor Benjamin again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean Drew McIntyre on the cover of a particularly unsubtle romance novel isn't my idea of a fashion choice, but to each their own.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Drew's definitely overcompensating.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Intruder posted:

I still can't believe that loving spider

Props to Rowan for being a pro and playing it straight but maybe he shouldn't have

The real question is whether it will ever be mentioned again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Why is Becky in a skirt and dress wear while Steph seems to be ready for ring work?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I am very sorry for Paige's problems, both health wise and personal relationship choices.

Grendels Dad posted:

When I read that my imagination painted a picture of Dream sowing dissenion among UE. Like, he 'let' Strong get away with his belt to focus on Cole, so when Cole next tries to use Strong as a human shield, possibly at the cost of Strong's title, Strong might realize what a selfish prick Cole is.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched NXT in ages and probably wont watch again any time soon, not least of all because I'm sure my imagination is better.

I don't think Strong has a title anymore? So like Dream just picked a fight with Strong, antagonized him by being a creepy perv about his wife, took beatdowns from TUE, and manipulated the situation to get a cage match with him all on the chance he could get Adam Cole in the cage?

I almost want to watch it to see if it makes more sense than that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

One of the announcers said "Its alive!" and it would have made no sense for all those randos to run away from a toy. That was definitely meant to be a live spider.

It was just so obviously bad that it strained the suspension of disbelief for everyone including the announcers and it seemed like Rowan.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If they had made it a cute kitty cat and just implied that when your back is turned it becomes a horrifying monster and eats the face of people like that thing in the movie then as absurd and stupid as that it is a whole lot of people here would have just gotten a kick out of it and gone with it because it was funny.

And because something like that is just absurd and ridiculous on its face WWE wouldn't be insulting your intelligence, which is why people would enjoy it. But when WWE just does something bad and asks you to take it seriously and pretend it was good that's when it just falls flat on its face.

The toy spider was so objectively bad that even Rowan couldn't keep a straight face and like the mere idea that we would have ever found that thing scary or thought it was real is kind of insulting.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 5, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rarity posted:

Goldberg showed up on The Bump to comment on the negative reaction to this title win

WWE's basically been twisting any criticism as "fans who complain about something are just ungrateful and selfish children who want to make everything about them and their way" forever now.

Of course on a fundamental level its unfair to have Goldberg out there defending booking decisions and is basically just WWE letting its expendable assets take the heat for their decisions so that the brand can stay strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Syxx is more "true" of an nWo member than anyone besides Bischoff, Hogan, Nash, and Hall. And maybe the Giant but he left and came back so he lost his place.

You should just induct him on his own as a member of the nWo and DX and kind of being one of the unrecognized trailblazers for that CW/light heavyweight style that creeped in in the 90s and changed the industry. He certainly qualifies by whatever standard the WWE Hall of Fame has. You don't need to induct the other guys for like the 3rd or 4th time to do that.

But they'll probably just induct him alone again in 5 years.