Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Neodoomium posted:

What would Drew Gulak know about beating Daniel Bryan

Drew Gulak is a jobber

Sometimes the best coaches weren't very good competitors in their sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

Lol WWE is giving this match away for free.

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1234234829438431234

WWE gives every match away for free at this point? Or do you think there's people who would specifically sign up to the Network to watch Baszler vs Asuka who don't already have a Network sub?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, it kinda undersells the idea if they're not selling PPVs anymore. I mean, I hate WWE but we commend AEW for giving away good matches on TV.

On the other hand it would be right to criticize WWE for giving away a potentially marquee match with no build or story or true consequence. Which is a thing they do a lot.

Yeah, but almost nothing they do has any consequences & the stuff that does have a build is generally dogshit. If you watch their programming you must be aware of this. Just doesn't seem worth commenting on, it's WWE, it's more notable when they accidentally stumble into booking something logically & sensibly for a change.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

The world class and gino Hernandez ones are really good because the first has a really great kevin von erich interview and the gino one has new information surrounding the case

Seconding this recommendation. The Kevin interview was equal parts heart breaking and heart warming, in the sense that he seems to be in a decent place considering everything.

The Gino episode is definitely the must watch and I also got stuff out of the Brody episode.

It being renewed is worth it for more people to find out about Herb Abrams alone. Especially if they do one of their recreations of the hours leading up to his death. What a guy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Just going to imagine he said this in Borat voice.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

JBL is going into the hall of fame.

To be inducted by Blue Meanie I hope

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Really hope it's one of those incredibly awesome "live appearances" where the guy Skypes in to the wrestling show.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Did they just memory hole Okada or what?

You can't put Okada on the front cover of a US magazine and get a boost in sales, where as AJ on the cover you might.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

How is Ligero the worst when Dunne and Seven exist?

Because at least Dunne and Seven have done some interesting wrestling in between licking boots. Ligero can't even claim that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

My reaction was

"Lio Rush is out of what?"

"Lio Rush is out of what?"

Probably the single biggest indie wrestling tournament in Europe. Usually a good mix of WXW regulars, other European indie guys & some flyins from the US & Japan. Unfortunately now that WXW is basically just an NXT UK feeder promotion I think this year will be the last 16 Carat of note.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

And least half of these names you made up

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Intruder posted:

Looking at the card, Elimination Chamber might be a contender for worst PPV of all time

How soon we forget that Blood Money was a week ago

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Blaise330 posted:

What if Sami wins the IC title tonight tho

This seems about as likely as Katsuhiko Nakajima winning the IC title tonight

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

John Dudebro posted:

correction: there is no wrestler wwe has hosed up more disastrously in recent history than sami zayn

Braun Strowman. Despite being green he was over as hell in the beginning and now he's just another guy. Great booking

Sami's ceiling was always going to be low in WWE.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Whoever said Braun's death nail was playing that double bass was entirely correct.

If you're a big man in WWE, never let them know you can do comedy.

Because you'll end up doing :airquote: comedy :airquote:

I used to loathe comedy in wrestling but it turned out the problem was just that WWE comedy is really terrible. Toru Yano would be too subtle for Vince.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Elimination Chamber Results 3/8:
  • Sami got the pin to become the new champion, and Shinsuke and Cesaro celebrated happily for their friend’s success

You love to see friends supporting friends :kiddo:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Yeah but it's established WWE canon that all babyfaces are so stupid that they can barely remember to breathe so it is clearly the most dastardly thing to take advantage of that simplicity.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Wazzu posted:

Imagine what Orton would do if they told him to work Main Event.

Half arse it like he does every single time?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hopkins FBI posted:

quote:
WWE is set to introduce a character portraying Drew McIntyre’s mentor for up-coming vignettes.

As first reported by Fightful Select (subscription required), WWE has put out a casting call in Scotland in search of a man to play character named “Gameskeeper”, who will act as McIntyre’s father figure.

WWE is looking for a male aged between 60 and 80 years old for a shoot set to take place on 3/12 near Loch Lomond, Scotland

The casting company has released the following information regarding the shoot.

This fictional character is the GAMESKEEPER to the McIntyre family estate. Family are local to Loch Lomond, Scottish accent required.

He is WWE star’s father figure, teacher and spiritual guide. WWE star has grown up under the watchful of this man. He taught WWE star everything he knows. This is his Yoda!

The GAMESKEEPER is a strong confident character that is fiercely intelligent with a charismatic presence. A straight-talking, tell-it-like-it-is guy – who is always engaging and disarmingly charming when he wants to be. But like all good Yodas’ – his standards are high! From WWE star he expects only physical and mental perfection. What ever the GAMESKEEPER says, WWE star does it.

He’s aged between 60 and 80 years old but don’t let that fool you, he could still kick yours and my a*se anytime he wanted…and he wouldn’t even break a sweat!

This proud 10 men tug-of-war team has been competing (and winning) in competitions for the last 5 years. Every man is powerhouse – burly, swaggering and noisy. Fierce competitors who love competing and drinking – but not necessarily in that order. They’re aged between 25 and 55 years old.

Ah, the McIntyre family estate. Won't lie, loving hilarious notion that Drew McIntyre is some Highland Lord rather than a working class lad from Ayr, and he's got his own version of Juan Sánchez-Villalobos Ramírez. In fact gently caress it, just bring in Sean Connery, he can't cost that much money at this point.

It's like a stupid mix of Groundskeeper Willie, The Highlander & The Master from the legendary WCW stable Dungeon of Doom.

Is Drew at least a heel? Or are we meant to think that the landed nobility are the good guys?

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 11, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Blaise330 posted:

I know Corona news has everyone down but somebody's having a good week

What the gently caress have they done to the glorious IC belt? This company can't even get titles right anymore.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

spongeh posted:

This is a dumb take since the intro HHH bit said something about taking your mind off of everything going on around you or something to that effect. It was acknowledged without saying CORONAVIRUS over and over again.

Maybe he just meant taking your mind off the every day living hell of living in late capitalism. Did you consider that, huh? Did you?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

spongeh posted:

no because living in late capitalism is paradise

If this is paradise then what on earth is hell? :thunk:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Blaise330 posted:

When I say "reddit told me" i should preface that reddit also tells me stuff like not to evacuate for hurricanes.

Ah, the Jose mindset (GBS mod Jose flew from the UK for a wedding in Miami & a hurricane happened and instead of evacuating he just bought alcohol and rode out the storm in his hotel room while playing his Switch & shitposting in a livethread in CSPAM. His balcony basically turned into a swimming pool, it was cool)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

We give a lot of poo poo to people on Reddit and Facebook but where did the groverhaus come from

I'd like to think the difference is that Goons are self-aware enough to know we're all idiots.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

super macho dude posted:

I just watched Smackdown and I can honestly say unless its Stardom or a deathmatch on a tropical island, no audience wrestling is pure garbage.

Sanshiro Takagi vs Minoru Suzuki at the Tokyo Dome says otherwise.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Wow, this is a very impressive deep fake

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

https://twitter.com/fightoracle/status/1239763504061648896?s=19

Even if this isn't true it's a much better idea

Edit: Not sure how to post nested tweets but the idea is to move Mania to MSG on June 7th

Imagine rovert was a barely sentient slug. That's front row Brian

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lid posted:

The best way to get around empty arenas is to do multiperson matches as Stardom showed.

It means you get to play off your own partmer rather than an imaginary audience who isn't there.

Even the main event was maybe the only good lumberjack match in history as the lumberjacks added a tonne of people to play off.

Also have Jushin Liger as a commentator. Slightly cooler when he responds to you than Byron Saxton

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lamuella posted:

I mean, they have correctly zeroed in on the target demographic of 9 year old boys who like both trains and big strong musclemen

Unfortunately they tend not to like losers which they managed to book Braun as

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

That's the best thing they can do.

Pretty sure the best thing they could do would be to go out of business

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Watch WWE for "sports entertainment", watch AEW and NJPW for actual pro wrestling. Problem solved :tipshat:

But AEW is well booked sports entertainment with good matches so as much as it's not for me it seems you'd be as well just watching that and filling the other good wrestling with All Japan or NOAH or DDT or Dragongate.

Eat My Fuc posted:

I see all your points of view and I get it. It’s just personally when it comes down to it I am a fan of pro wrestling. If i’m going to name my personal top 5 in the world right now, three of them are WWE performers, one is AEW, and one is NJPW, because of that there’s nothing either company could do that would get me to stop watching unless
they fired all their wrestlers I like.

If I based what I like off my personal morals i’d have little to nothing to be entertained by. You can’t even listen to a majority of western music, or take in film or art without taking in the work of mostly bad, talented people. I’ll be dead sooner than later, I can’t get hung up on it.

I want WWE to die precisely because they do have so many of my all time faves on the roster and proceed to do gently caress all with them. The moral issues suck but I'm a black metal fan and am trained at separating art from artist. I want WWE gone because they just make really bad wrestling and are the default name for wrestling in the west so do active damage to wrestling at large.

I loathe the house style which turns everyone into an identikit worker who loses the unique poo poo that got then signed in the first place aside from a handful of signature spots. It's so watered down. The roster is the best it has ever been from an in-ring perspective and yet the matches are overwhelmingly eh unless you're really into the overwrought melodrama of "why am I so violent?" which, personally speaking I don't find remotely compelling.

The last WWE match I remember actually being invested in was Bryan against Lesnar which must be 18 months ago? 2½ years? And that was because it didn't feel like a WWE match.

Holy poo poo, I was so excited when Danielson, probably my all-time fave, was back from retirement. Oh the possibilities. Danielson vs KENTA again. Danielson vs La Sombra. Danielson against Generico in a PWG classic, gently caress yeah! Danielson Joe! Instead we got 7 feet tall and you can't teach that (to wrestle) Colin Cassidy. And then he signs a new deal and the dreams of a Danielson G1 go in the bin.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

A Salty Affair posted:

Something I want to get off my chest; the vibe of this thread kinda sucks. I mostly lurk these here rasslin' threads and post infrequently but I've noticed that these threads are getting super unfun.

I'm a fan of both AEW and WWE and I totally agree with the sentiment that WWE has been pretty drat lovely lately and obviously everything AEW is doing is mind-blowingly good in comparison. But the thing is, even while super lovely the WWE still (by fluke) occasionally does fun, good things and I feel like no one can even talk about those things in this thread without getting drowned out by 10 other white-noise posters saying for the hundredth time that day that the WWE sucks.

The thing is I don't even give a poo poo about everyone posting the WWE is poo poo when they do one of their trademark garbage things. The problem is it seems like there's a whole lot of posting apropos of nothing about the WWE being poo poo that drowns out all other attempts to have any sort of actual discussion in here.

I guess what I'm saying is can't we have a WWE thread that is simultaneously completely making GBS threads on the garbage they do while also occasionally being able to have a conversation about the stuff they do that some of us actually like? Anyways, sorry for the long post, maybe I'm just imagining this poo poo but I figure it was better to post it.

Okay, what are the fun things WWE has done in 2020? Releasing wrestlers so they can go and actually be good and entertaining elsewhere doesn't count. I know this sounds sarcastic but it's not. I'm sincerely interested to know what gets people to keep coming back. What's a WWE main roster match I should check out from this year apart from Bryan Gulak which I haven't been able to see because it's not been uploaded in any of the usual places sadly

I get it, some people enjoy the WWE house style. That's fine. I don't and that's why I stopped watch it but there's nothing inherently wrong with evaluating something subjective differently to someone else. Or even everyone else. nowt wrong with being an outlier. But I don't think anyone is stopping you from posting about the parts of WWE you like. They might question why you can't find somewhere that does those bits just as well but with a much higher fun to bad ratio but ultimately it's your time to spend how you wish.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 20, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

raw has been up and down in 2020 but most shows have been pretty watchable. it was especially good when the cucking stuff went on last because you knew you could just turn the show off. owens and joe are great babyfaces. andrade has had really nice tv matches. angel garza same. everyone on the forum except me and one other person was 100% wrong about this year’s men’s rumble it was fantastic apart from a slow stretch between brock’s elimination and edge’s return. everything edge or orton has done post-rumble has been must-watch.

I was quite surprised looking on Cagematch, as their highest rated main roster match was the Rumble match that I remember being dumped on here.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Dave says they've been talking with ESPN about giving ESPN+ exclusive rights to the major PPVs, but they're far apart on money. Vince wants more than UFC got

Ahahahahahahaha Vince is a funny guy

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

If WWE does shut down it'll be a good chance for you to replace the 15 hours a week or whatever it is hatewatching their TV with better wrestling shows! Japanese wrestling is ramping back up now, Champion Carnival is at least scheduled to begin on April 6th is a great time to get get into All Japan (if you aren't watching the show that started 20 minutes ago and features Kento Miyahara vs Suwama, which if he wins will mean Kento has the most title defenses in one reign, beating Kawada's record.)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

WWE could put on the Monday Night Wars and Ruthless Aggression documentaries and still retain viewers with extended cuts of both and still come out fine in the end. All they'd have to do is sprinkle in promos and WWE Network ads. The WWE Network has thousands and thousands of hours of content. gently caress it, literally just put on WCW Nitro on Monday and RAW on Friday.

They'd only do that if they could have someone dub over Nitro commentary like Cole and Graves to just poo poo all over it. Vince is still shook

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lamuella posted:

Justin Credible is playing for the Panthers?

That's PJ Polaco. Imagine not knowing Aldo Montaya's real name.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

I dare not hope that an old, rich white person will be taken to task for their misdeeds. I have been hurt too many times before.

Happened to the Romanovs.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

the power plant rightly gets ragged on a lot but they trained up and produced a bigger star than the performance centre ever has or ever will

Yeah, it gave us Ice Train, one half of the legendary & beloved tag team Fire & Ice with Scott Norton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Von_Doom posted:

I know it didn’t give us Kronik but it should have. I still remember their 1 wwf appearance. I remember it was bad.

Fun fact about Kronik, they later beat Keiji Mutoh & Taiyo Kea to become AJPW World Tag Team champs.

Kid me only actually saw 1 Adam Bomb match but between that & seeing photos of him in the WWF annual I had & the magazines I'd very rarely get he looked like the coolest dude to me. He's huge & had that yellow & red singlet and long wet hair and the goggles & I guess I thought that was a good look.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 26, 2020