Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It's not that they're giving it away for free. They're giving it away with no build.

But on the flip side, I just can't get into WWE matches on TV anymore.... Full Entrances, 1-2 minute of basic action like lock ups and wrist locks, 4 minutes of commercials, 5 minutes of action, dive outside the ring, 4 minutes of commercials, finish. They've even been doing a lot of stuff recently where they drag out the entrances as long as possible. They'll show one person enter, cut to a commercial, come back to some philanthropy package or whatever, like Make A Wish, cut back to the ring 5 minutes later and the first person is still standing in the ring like a goober with their entrance music playing.

I feel like I'm watching more commercials than match, and there is no way to tell a good story when you are cutting away for 8 minutes of the match. They don't even try to limit the commercial breaks, and I feel so insulted when they cut away from the action to bookend a commercial break with WWE Shop and Total Divas or Miz and Mrs commercials that are not mandatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Plans change

https://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/article/shayna-baszler-vs-sane

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

shiksa posted:

they gave mox a 2 week long farewell and a network special sendoff, but yeah usually we dont even get a future endeavors anymore lol

Contracts have to naturally expire to get a pleasant farewell it seems.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Tell me one good WWE losing streak storyline where the person came out the other side looking better

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TriffTshngo posted:

The only person a losing streak has ever made a bigger star out of in WWE was Curt Hawkins. And then he broke it at Wrestlemania (in the pre-show) and they basically haven't used him since.

Sounds like he came out worst at the end of it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Sarah Logan is one of those people who people seemed really excited about when they brought her in, but I haven't seen her do anything notable. And it makes me wonder if she was always bad, or WWE broke her.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Blaise330 posted:

No matter how many years someone works in WWE, I can never get a good feel on them til they have a decent length PPV match. Preferably 1v1 with no shenanigans.

I completely agree.

And maybe this is my problem with NXT currently. Nobody is leaving, nobody new is getting that spot to shine on Takeover to show that they can go.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
JBL is in the Hall of Fame

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

STAC Goat posted:

Why is Becky in a skirt and dress wear while Steph seems to be ready for ring work?

Because they're fashion dolls and you can put them in different outfits

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
If you hate everyone in WWE that is a racist, and everyone that is a bootlicker... who does that even leave?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Wazzu posted:

Why the gently caress did velveteen challenge Roderick to a match to intentionally lose it just so he could brawl with the champion? Couldn't be find a simpler way to isolate Adam Cole for a bit?

Here's a crazy idea....

Dakota/Tegan have their cage match to start the show, so the cage is there. Earlier in the night O'Reilly/Fish are taken out by whoever the gently caress they're feuding with these days, get taken out of the arena. Dream/Strong is a normal match. Dream wins the match clean, and comes out looking good and not like a goober. Strong rolls out of the ring. Cole hits the ring for the post-match beat down/save, but Dream lays him out with a finisher in the ring and is knocked out. Realizing that Strong is out and O'Reilly/Fish are not there, Dream signals for someone to lower the cage, then locks the door. Strong wakes up, tries to get into the cage and can't while Dream dominates the champion in the ring.

Makes Dream look good, puts a clean end to this feud with Strong, Dream doesn't have to take on 4 people at once, Dream doesn't lose the match intentionally, Dreams win gives him momentum to challenge Cole, and it uses the cage that was established earlier so that things play out in pretty much the same way to end the show

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Better Than You posted:

Was the debate ever settled on whether he was called Syxx because he was the 6th member to join or 1+2+3=6?

Wasn't Syxx technically the 7th member?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_World_Order_members#Incarnations_and_members

Blaise330 posted:

He was the last person to join before most people felt "k it'd be silly if any more people joined" and he was the last clique guy to join. I think like Vergil and Scott Norton were in it 3x longer than him tho. Kinda weird Eric Bishoff isn't getting in with them.

Vincent and Norton were some of the longer nWo tenures. But yeah, I agree with the sentiment that Syxx was at the point right before they just started adding random people.

Just look at that timeline. After Syxx it was Elizabeth, Bischoff, Bagwell, Wallstreet, Bubba Rodgers... and yeah, why isn't Bischoff part of the Hall of Fame?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The ideal of determining who enters last in the EC by having a gauntlet match where the entry of order is also random seems incredibly stupid.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I hate to say it, but it really does take several months on the main roster of the person just coming out and winning with their finisher to get over with the crowds.

I'm also reminded of going to a show where little kids in the crowd just screamed "GO BACK TO NXT!" at the new people that were recently called up.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DarkstarIV posted:

Tonight's PPV is going to be a shitshow just because the two chamber matches are almost completely predictable. Miz and Morrison are definitely walking out of the Chamber as tag champs still.

And in the other chamber match, everyone knows Shayna is the only person currently announced for the match who has any chance of winning, despite it being a hilariously bad idea if last Monday's RAW was any indication, or even last night's house show against Liv Morgan. Where both times she got THIS IS BORING chants, and in the case of last night, people were leaving to get concessions or use the restroom during the match. The Becky/Shayna feud is going to be really bad in every regard at this rate.

Please remind us again what your Royal Rumble predictions were because you were complaining that the Rumble was icredibly predictable.

I mean, nobody gives a gently caress about those tag titles. The holders are meaningless, it can literally be anybody and it wouldn’t affect how they are booking Wrestlemania where they’ll probably have a four way match to get more people on the show.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Spiderdrake posted:

Not to pre-poo poo on Darkstar cuz maybe he didn't do it but everyone who called that wrong clung to the theory of "vince changed his mind at the last minute!!!! yep it was confirmed yep I wasn't wrong I was right that wacky vince!!!" so lol

Wasn’t everyone saying it would be Shayna winning to challenge Becky, and Roman to challenge Fiend? I honestly can’t remember with any certainty.

It’s a total WWE thing to do something stupid and not predictable to make the match meaningless. Like... I don’t know... letting Natalya win it, but then put her title shot on the line and losing it to look like a total goober..

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there no preshow match?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Malcolm Excellent posted:

WWE are ditching the network and planning to start charging$50 for this poo poo?

Was that a fake rumor?

No. They want to license the content to another company to charge $50 for this poo poo

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

SatoshiMiwa posted:

On Today's WOR which I'm getting around to listening too Dave mentioned while breaking down the WOR awards that the negotations rights to WWE PPV's on another streaming servivce/PPV are not going well and may not be done by Mania. This would be amazingly funny given the last earning report threw the network under the bus and is why they firred Barros and Wilson and if they don't get another source for the PPV's they really will just have TV money

I resubscribed tonight for 30 days so I could get EC, Takeover, and Wrestlemania for $10. The day I can't do that is the day I stop watching their shows. EC was barely worth $3.33

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TV Zombie posted:

Wouldn't any PPV streaming service's main argument be that the network is offering it for 9.99 so who would buy the ppv for a higher price?

I'd really love to see how the negotiations go for licensing PPVs.

Anybody that can do basic math would think "Raw gets ~2 Million viewers, but ~1 million are willing to pay $10 a month already. So we'd have to charge $X more and hope that we grow the user base by X% while charging them more money. So do we get creative control to try to improve the product? No? Oh, and there is a chance that in a few months you'll be putting on shows in empty arenas? Alright, byeeeeee!"

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Before the network what was the average buy for a PPV? Like 200k?

This would be right before the Network launched

quote:

Official breakdowns of all the 2013 PPV events is as follows.

Royal Rumble (1/27): 579,000 worldwide (364,000 domestic)
Elimination Chamber (2/17): 241,000 worldwide (181,000 domestic)
Wrestlemania 29 (4/1): 1,104,000 worldwide (662,000 domestic)
Extreme Rules (5/19): 245,000 worldwide (137,000 domestic)
Payback (6/16): 198,000 worldwide (108,000 domestic)
Money in the Bank (7/14): 199,000 worldwide (151,000 domestic)
Summerslam (8/18): 296,000 worldwide (185,000 domestic)
Night of Champions (9/15): 175,000 worldwide (92,000 domestic)

Source: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
That down time in the Chamber with Shayna could have been handled in two ways.

1) When Shayna is just sitting there waiting, put the countdown on the Tron that says like 3 minutes left or whatever, and have her just start screaming something like "Open the next Pod right now!" and then they do it.

2) When she taps out Liv in 90 seconds and there is another 3 1/2 minutes until Asuka comes out.... just have Shayna launch Liv through Asuka's pod so she just gets released early.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The last 45 minutes of Raw was Seth Rollins. Nobody wants that. Nobody wants 45 minutes of any single wrestler on Raw.

DarkstarIV posted:

Here is the promo from the Kabuki Warriors. They rule.

https://streamable.com/dbp62

This promo made some people online really mad for whatever reason (hint: it was because they spoke in Japanese and shot down the what chants successfully).

These promos don't work. They're just caricatures of like evil foreign movie villains. Like we're only a few weeks away from Vince wanting to dub over their promos Kai En Tai style

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is Smackdown worth watching just for how weird it is?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, if the wrestlers could improvise and incorporate the crowd then the What? chants would either disappear or enhance what was being said (Austin obviously as great at it, Angle also did wonderful things with it) but that's not something WWE let's basically 98% of their roster do anymore. So they deliver the same dull lines in the same robotic cadence and can't deviate even when the crowd is just immediately jumping on every micro-managed gap to scream,"WHAT!?!" at them.

It was amazing one time there was a script that someone photographed after a Raw or Smackdown that they found on the ground, and they had a promo in it pretty much line for line as how it played out. I remember it had AJ Lee in the ring with Stephanie and AJ was the only one that even budged from the script a little bit with lines like "Hi Boss Lady!" when she came in.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Getting around to watching Smackdown. It’s just really loving surreal...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

spongeh posted:

This is a dumb take since the intro HHH bit said something about taking your mind off of everything going on around you or something to that effect. It was acknowledged without saying CORONAVIRUS over and over again.

Seriously. I don't want to see a show and hear "Well due to the CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK" every five loving seconds. Good lord... I hear enough of it already. And every hour I'm getting an email from some company that has my email address reminding me that there is a loving pandemic.

Of all the poo poo things this company has done, this is not one of them.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Golden Bee posted:

It’s unsafe for Brock undertaker or Goldberg to travel, they’re old is hell.
Remember when Brock beat Rey Mysterio who had both the lead pipe and his son to help him? What a great Federation

I would imagine that any professional athlete is considered healthy enough to survive.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
canceling Wrestlemania will depend on which has a bigger negative financial impact. The lost revenue from canceling the event, or the negative backlash that comes out of hosting it 3 weeks from now when poo poo is much worse.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Blaise330 posted:

I hope the people who refuse to cancel everything on their trip thats already paid for until an official announcement is made have fun trying to do that 2 weeks from now.

This is what I ran into trying to cancel my Spring Break facation on the 23rd.

-AirBNB is being very generous towards allowing renters to cancel and screwing over property owners.
-VBRO is siding with property owners, not allowing renters to cancel their reservations and lose their money
-My rental car company let me cancel 24 hours in advance with a $50 cancellation fee.
-United let me cancel my flight and get flight credit, waiving flight change fees, but I have to book a new flight that departs within 1 year of when I purchased my ticket.

So.... I booked my flights November 29th, so that means I have to book a new flight by basically the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

When did Wrestlemania 36 tickets go on sale? Like... May (edit: November 15th it looks like)? I could see someone being totally screwed because they booked early, and now they have to take a new flight at a time that they don't want to travel still.

At least I am planning to use my tickets to visit family for Thanksgiving if I need to, and hopefully things calm down by November.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Blaise330 posted:

Best Undertaker entrance ever? Dunno why this is so funny to me.

https://streamable.com/p93vi

And on a show where he didn't need to be in a hurry.

Imagine having to fly across the country at this time to do that.

I mean, there is clearly a dollar amount that makes it worth it, so what do I know

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What are the chances that they taped absolutely zero things for future weeks, even though they have all those people there?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
They should just delay Wrestlemania until the summer or whatever. This is dumb.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Watching Raw, it's amazing that they can't adjust the way they do things for no audience. Andrade doing his entrance, posing for the non existent crowd. Backstage segments that are backstage for no reason.

Like, how much would it rule if they started shooting things Lucha Underground style

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This core group of fans will literally watch anything

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rick posted:

The reason why I have been making so many Wrestlemania 2 jokes is that I am just fascinated by the multi-venue event. I think it's like if wrestling was a fighting game.

How loving awesome would it be if each match took place in its own themed arena. Like Cena vs. Wyatt is in some weird Firefly Funhouse location. KO vs. Seth is in some weird Church looking type location. That would loving rule. But we are going to get an empty performanc center with cuts to the non-existent crowd.

WWE won't even learn from AEW by putting the wrestlers from Night 1 in the crowd of Night 2 to make some noise...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

A Salty Affair posted:

I'm a fan of both AEW and WWE and I totally agree with the sentiment that WWE has been pretty drat lovely lately and obviously everything AEW is doing is mind-blowingly good in comparison. But the thing is, even while super lovely the WWE still (by fluke) occasionally does fun, good things and I feel like no one can even talk about those things in this thread without getting drowned out by 10 other white-noise posters saying for the hundredth time that day that the WWE sucks.

It's like 1 hour of good a week and 6 hours of suck.

If you watch the show "24" and love the scenes where Jack Bauer is killing terrorist, great. But it's hard to enjoy the show as a whole when the 3 other concurrent storyline are garbage.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
How often do we ever get the stipulation of "If Person A beats Person B, then the match will happen" and then it doesn't happen? It seems that Vince never wants to tease matches that won't happen

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Akileese posted:

Man the back half of that article is a borderline hit piece. I wonder if outside investors are trying to pressure them.

I can't remember the last time I read the back half of a news article like that and had it not had it be unrelated to the headline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chris James 2 posted:

Brodie Lee (Luke Harper) was on Jericho’s podcast

Plan was for him to return after Mania 35 as Sami’s bodyguard. Plan got canceled. After it did, he gave up and wanted out. Vince had forty minutes of trying to talk him out of it by offering more money and a push, but he was just fed up and wanted to move on

HHH told him “we can’t release you, it’s gonna look like people are jumping off the sinking ship”

Is the Rest worth listening to or is that the highlight