Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Bundy posted:

To be clear, I am aware sane fans will be delighted to have won the league/perhaps other trophies, I am making fun of EvilHawk.

It is going to be interesting to see if this is the start of a slump as statistics catch up with you or if Klopp can get everyone's heads past these last three difficult games for the other competitions.

It's not like this is the first time we have lost a game. He managed to rally the troops after the Napoli loss and the players get that these things don't last. Going undefeated requires more than just skill, it's insane how much luck you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Bundy posted:

Say it "all evens out" and they pick up another 11 points or so and City go on a run, they'd "only" win by about 3-6 points, do you think they'd be delighted to have won the first title in 30 years, or be too busy melting down demanding Klopp be sacked for almost bottling it

e: Where's Oliwan? Did he actually slip into a pleasure coma?

I know you're making fun of me, but yes I'll be thrilled to win the title regardless of circumstance.

I am annoyed that we won't go unbeaten but that's gone now, so no point crying over it.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

This is going to sound super dumb but honestly us being so far ahead has taken away some of the fun of winning the title. I always imagined it being similar to the Aguero moment, maybe not quite as dramatic but running off at a canter has taken some of the charm out of it.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

I know you're making fun of me, but yes I'll be thrilled to win the title regardless of circumstance.

I am annoyed that we won't go unbeaten but that's gone now, so no point crying over it.

NO POINT WHAT? DON'T SIGN YOUR POSTS LOL

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

This is going to sound super dumb but honestly us being so far ahead has taken away some of the fun of winning the title. I always imagined it being similar to the Aguero moment, maybe not quite as dramatic but running off at a canter has taken some of the charm out of it.

I’m glad you acknowledged that it’s dumb to have that feeling because as a supporter of a club that has traditionally won things, gently caress you, got mine. I don’t care if it’s goal difference or 30 points, give me that silverware

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

I’m glad you acknowledged that it’s dumb to have that feeling because as a supporter of a club that has traditionally won things, gently caress you, got mine. I don’t care if it’s goal difference or 30 points, give me that silverware

Oh don't get me wrong I'm going to mark out regardless of when we win it, and it's going to be awesome if we win it in the next 4 games. I guess the super dramatic wins are always going to be a bit more fun. Kinda like how the CL final was last year. It was great and I celebrated it but the game and the way we won it was a bit dull.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

CyberPingu posted:

I think this is a fairly common feeling. With cups obviously you get the final so it's One Game with everything on the line so you can build it up and up and up. Unless you do have an Aguero moment where it goes right down to the line, you rarely if every get that in the league. Hell, we're just as likely to win the league when we're not even playing (like Leicester did) as City drop points. It does feel like an anti-climax after 30 years everyone is expecting it to be this big thing.

It won't make it any less special to us, there'll still be a huge celebration etc. I just think people were expecting it to be a massive let off and because we have been so good it's instead been a procession.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
plus, I can imagine that it's a bit of a letdown for poo supporters that the only reason they're finally winning the league is thanks to VAR manipulation and the other teams being poo poo (as the embarrassing loss vs Watford shows)

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

oliwan posted:

plus, I can imagine that it's a bit of a letdown for poo supporters that the only reason they're finally winning the league is thanks to VAR manipulation and the other teams being poo poo (as the embarrassing loss vs Watford shows)

Even if that were true I wouldn't care

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
As ridiculous as Agueroooo was I genuinely think it knocked a year or so or my life span with the amount of stress my heart was under, a routine win would have overall probably been more of a fun day out in Manchester as we were all gonna go mental for winning the league under United's nose anyway

The QPR game was our season in a microcosm anyway, starting out fine, leading for half of it, then faltering towards the end and falling behind leaving us in what seemed like an impossible position to win from

Clawing back that 8 points on United after April was high drama enough is what I'm saying

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

As ridiculous as Agueroooo was I genuinely think it knocked a year or so or my life span with the amount of stress my heart was under, a routine win would have overall probably been more of a fun day out in Manchester as we were all gonna go mental for winning the league under United's nose anyway

The QPR game was our season in a microcosm anyway, starting out fine, leading for half of it, then faltering towards the end and falling behind leaving us in what seemed like an impossible position to win from

Clawing back that 8 points on United after April was high drama enough is what I'm saying

Joey Barton deserves something worse than death

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Joey Barton deserves something worse than death

Like living an entire life as Joey Barton?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
deulofeu was tearing the left side up until his knee exploded. you can't have TAA, lovren, and Ox all on the same side, otherwise world class footballers like deulofeu will eat you alive

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Big Huski Boi posted:

Like living an entire life as Joey Barton?

You mean the millionaire footballer Joey Barton who hasn’t had any negative consequences for all of the heinous poo poo he’s done in his career?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

He went to jail once

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

You mean the millionaire footballer Joey Barton who hasn’t had any negative consequences for all of the heinous poo poo he’s done in his career?

He's been put in jail at least once and given multiple bans. So that's not entirely true.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

He's been put in jail at least once and given multiple bans. So that's not entirely true.

Oh no, now he can only get a job as a manager of a professional football club with millions of pounds in the bank

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

Oh no, now he can only get a job as a manager of a professional football club with millions of pounds in the bank

On the scale of "people who have done poo poo that should land them in the poo poo". Joey Barton is on the lower end of the spectrum in the grand scheme of things.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

CyberPingu posted:

It's not like this is the first time we have lost a game. He managed to rally the troops after the Napoli loss and the players get that these things don't last. Going undefeated requires more than just skill, it's insane how much luck you need.

In a lot of other realities that run finished on Monday night if Fabianski just had an average game, but nobody's ever really comfortable talking about how much luck is the difference between good and great teams.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
You're right, it's been coming. We've not really played a great game since the winter break

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In a lot of other realities that run finished on Monday night if Fabianski just had an average game, but nobody's ever really comfortable talking about how much luck is the difference between good and great teams.

Yep. City got insanely lucky last season to win the title. We have been lucky in several games this year. We got lucky last year when Barca shat the bed.

Though Im very much an advocate of "you make your own luck". If you constantly put yourself in the position to score you are going to score or get more penalties or opportunities to get penalties.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

tarbrush posted:

You're right, it's been coming. We've not really played a great game since the winter break

And realistically that's fine, absent an extinction-level event Liverpool are still likely to win the league by a record margin. I think the winning it unbeaten thing got into too many people's heads (maybe including the players) and now they feel like somehow it's worth less. Maybe the lesson here is that all leading teams should endeavour to lose their first couple of games just to take the pressure off (and I'm not just saying this because the fixture computer inevitably picks West Ham to play the entire top 4 in their first 6 games).

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Exactly. My new "I'm not owned" opinion is that it would be almost as fun to win the treble with more points than united but not breaking City's points record, so that that Man U team is nearly displaced from the best team ever discussion, but Arsenal and City are still there.

I would like to stress again how not owned I am.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bewbies posted:

deulofeu was tearing the left side up until his knee exploded. you can't have TAA, lovren, and Ox all on the same side, otherwise world class footballers like deulofeu will eat you alive

also shouldn't be a surprise for anyone who saw it but deulofeu acl tear confirmed

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Parity warning posted:

also shouldn't be a surprise for anyone who saw it but deulofeu acl tear confirmed

Several times thanks to the producer :thumbsup:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The records thing is just a thing the newspapers built up and people (including the players) got too attached to that narrative. Given the constant heart attack/heart breaking moments of 2013/14, I'm loving delighted to watch Liverpool winning the league for the first time in my life without any drama.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You can definitely win too well. I stopped watching the Swans League Cup final win after the 4th goal.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
cant believe oliwan was right about liverpool being hack frauds who are only going to win the title due to var fuckery

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
A year ago I was told by posters in this forum that I was delusional for thinking Wolves had a chance at Europa. Wolves are now in the round of 16 in Europe and challenging for UCL spots in the league. These last two (three really including winning the championship) seasons have been nothing short of magical. Most of wolves’ players haven’t even reached their full potential yet. Eventually they’ll have their best players vultured and come back to earth, but I’m enjoying the ride.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Xabi posted:

Mods, this is bullying!

* shoves you in a locker *

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Can't pretend I'm happy about getting battered by Watford but oh well, it happens. The team's in a slump and been really lucky to win the last few, this was bound to happen at some point. I hope it'll mean taking some pressure off while also reminding the players that luck won't get them out of everything, which means picking up performances for the rest of the season, hopefully starting with Atletico.

Also if Lovren ever plays for us again it'll be too soon. I know people are pointing to VVD's problems with the two Sarr goals but I can't blame him too much given who he had to cover for. Watching the whole match, there were about half a dozen other times when Watford came close to scoring because of a Lovren mistake, he had an absolute shocker and it's far from the first time he's done that.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 2, 2020

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
sounds like Joemez (and Milner) will be back for Chelsea, hell yeah

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Liverpool will never win again. Relegated by this time next season.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

habeasdorkus posted:

Liverpool will never win again. Relegated by this time next season.

right thread

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

vyelkin posted:

Also if Lovren ever plays for us again it'll be too soon.

wish we'd hosed him off in the summer when he wanted to leave. at least if it was sepp van den berg or one of the other kids loving up, they'd have the excuse of being actual children

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
remeber when dejan lovren claimed to be the best centre back in the world because he played in the champions league final and the world cup final in the space of a few weeks

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'd like to point out that I was all about selling that sack of poo poo Lovren this offseason and almost everyone else posted "oh he's only the fourth defender, how much of a difference will it make." I loving told you all!

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Gomez is Liverpool’s best defender

Dilbert Fanclub President posted:

A year ago I was told by posters in this forum that I was delusional for thinking Wolves had a chance at Europa. Wolves are now in the round of 16 in Europe and challenging for UCL spots in the league. These last two (three really including winning the championship) seasons have been nothing short of magical. Most of wolves’ players haven’t even reached their full potential yet. Eventually they’ll have their best players vultured and come back to earth, but I’m enjoying the ride.

nice av

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Shrapnig posted:

Villeroy & Boch inks deal time become the Official Silverware Partner of Manchester United Football Club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

"oh he's only the fourth defender, how much of a difference will it make." I loving told you all!

I'd like to point out that we are top of the league by 19 points (assuming city win their game in hand). In the grand scheme of things Lovren has made 0 difference this year you giant baby

Even if he sucked poo poo for the Watford loss, it's not like we lost 3-2. We got blown out the park in all positions.